[mod.mac] Delphi Mac Digest V2 #66

SHULMAN@RED.RUTGERS.EDU (Jeffrey Shulman) (12/11/86)

Delphi Mac Digest        Thursday, 11 December 1986    Volume 2 : Issue 66

Today's Topics:
     illegal copy dilemma (5 messages)
     MS datafile trouble (2 messages)
     FPD and StartUpDesk
     Mac gateway equipments
     RE: User interface (3 messages)
     RE: User Interface
     RE: A couple DA questions
     AddResource probs (2 messages)
     RE: IBM PC vs. Mac (4 messages)
     RE: Tags footnote:  Seagate 225N (2 messages)
     Default MSWord Font...
     Upgrade shaft
     desktop publishing (2 messages)
     MacDraw vs. RSG3 (4 messages)
     Gassee in ComputerWorld
     dBASE Mac delayed
     Overseas Mac pricing (2 messages)
     MS/DOS on the Mac
     Novy 68020 board (2 messages)
     Byte
     Pictures, BitMaps and the Scrap
     icon positions (2 messages)
     RE: Re: DASampler File Format?
     RE: Hyper Drive Recovery
     RE: Re: Should we support (official solutions)
     RE: Why won't my Mac eject the disk?!
     RE: DiskExpress/DataFrame problems
     HyperDrives and floppy drive failure
     GCC policies
     Programming the Serial Ports (4 messages)
     FOND question
     Epstart print driver

From: JOSEF
Subject: illegal copy dilemma
Date: 6-DEC-12:39: Business Mac

I mentioned in my previous message to Ric that the financial officer
where I work is considering getting a Mac for company use. This brings
up a real dilemma(sp?) for me: my conversations with this guy have
revealed that he has no problem at all with using illegal copies of
software that he's obtained from others.

Now on the one hand, what he wants to do with "his" machine is none of my
business, but on the other, I do work for the same company and may even be
involved with using it or instructing others on how to use it.  But worse than
that, I'm sure this guy is making the assumption that he's going to get free
copies of all kinds of software from me. So far, I've been able to avoid this
issue, but when it comes up, I know I'm going to have to refuse and I'm really
dreading it.  Like I said, this guy is the chief financial officer where I
work--not the kind of person you want to cross.

Any ideas for dealing with some of these issues would be highly appreciated.

Joe

------------------------------

From: LAMG
Subject: RE: illegal copy dilemma (Re: Msg 15507)
Date: 6-DEC-22:56: Business Mac

Joe: If he asks you for copies of software, I'd politely explain to
him that you'd be happy to give him demos but that pirating is illegal
and clearly not in the company's best interests.  If he threatens to
take any sort of action against you for this, I'd go over his head.

-Franklin

------------------------------

From: MOUSEKETEER
Subject: RE: illegal copy dilemma (Re: Msg 15521)
Date: 7-DEC-01:36: Business Mac

I understand it could be a brief discomfort to refuse the guy copies of
your software.  But I can't think of anything more possibly damaging in
the long run than having someone in a supervisory position know you are
willing to commit theft on request, even if it's for his benefit. (Makes
you wonder how good a financial officer he is, eh?)

I'd suggest you just explain that you are *sure* he understands you can't
make illegal copies of software...like you *know* he is too honest to ask
for such things.  It at least puts him in the position of trying to
convince you he is, at base, dishonest...something most folks would be
afraid to do.

Alf

P.S.  If he keeps at it, tell him the radical wing of the Mouseketeer
Software Liberation Front knows his address, and has the necessary
apparatus to perform copy-protection surgery where it hurts....grin.

------------------------------

From: FRIED
Date: 7-DEC-08:58: Business Mac

If he asks you for pirate copies, ask HIM if he would make his requests in
writing. <grin>

Seriously, I agree with Franklin.  Make sure he understands it *is*
stealing, and if he still is insistent, make sure others know what he
is demanding. If you end up on the short end, you at least will be
able to live with yourself.

Bob

------------------------------

From: PEABO
Date: 7-DEC-21:45: Business Mac

Isn't it true that officers of a company can be personally liable for
illegal activities conducted by the company?  Granted, you have a
political problem, but at least the legal issue should be crystal
clear to the CFO.

peter

------------------------------

From: PIZZAMAN
Subject: MS datafile trouble
Date: 6-DEC-19:08: Bugs & Features

Wanted to save a Microsoft File database without the data. Made a copy
of the file, then opened it and selected all the entries (1000).
Cleared all these entries. Seemed to work correctly, since the
datafile said 0/0 entries left.  This is what I wanted, since I wanted
a new, empty database for 1987. Only trouble is that the "empty"
database, with 0/0 entries, seems to be occupying >200K of memory on
my hard disk (an HD-20). Anyone know Microsoft file enough to tell me
what I did wrong here? Thanks in advance for any help. barry

------------------------------

From: MOUSEKETEER
Subject: RE: MS datafile trouble (Re: Msg 15511)
Date: 7-DEC-02:34: Bugs & Features

I won't try to explain *WHY* MS File keeps the size of a database when you
delete records, because I don't fully understand it...something about it
just filling the records you had with nulls when you delete them, so you
end up with a database full of nulls.

Anyway, the solution is easy to do.  Go into your big, empty database and
SAVE AS... another name of your choice.  This will save the layout of your
database, but doesn't transfer all the null records.  Then QUIT, and on
the desktop trash the big empty version and rename the new one you SAVED
AS to your usual working name for that one.  You can GET INFO on it, and
it will be reduced to the size needed to hold the layout only.

Alf

------------------------------

From: RWIGGINS
Subject: FPD and StartUpDesk
Date: 6-DEC-20:04: Hardware & Peripherals

So I *FINALLY* got my FPD (it's a gruesome story, culminating in UPS
refusing to cross a picket line outside my building to deliver and
telling me they were returning all packages to sender (AAAAAAAA!!!!!!)
.... but I got it at last).

So now, StartUpDesk doesn't work anymore, and I miss my desktops.  Anyone seen
or heard of a hack that works with the Radius? (Backdrop doesn't work, either.
Only Servant's Set Background works, and that's only while in Servant.)

-- Robert

------------------------------

From: STARFIELD
Subject: Mac gateway equipments
Date: 6-DEC-13:04: Marketing & Distribution

Hello, everyone !

I am looking for the good equipments that connect Macintosh to IBM mainframe,
Macintosh to Ethernet, or Macintosh to Apollo Domain. If you know a good one or
developed one, please let me know.

Makoto

------------------------------

From: MACLAIRD
Subject: RE: User interface
Date: 7-DEC-09:23: Network Digests

I was taking the viewpoint of the novice user.  I have seen the problems with
hand-mouse coordination among new users and conclude that there might not be a
good solution, but there is indeed a problem.

Scrolling menus, I must repeat, are a hack.  They change "what you see is what
you get" to "what you see is what you get after you look everywhere".

If I'm not wrong, the Macintosh is wired for a three-button mouse.  I
think that the extra buttons might come in handy in some situations.
It would probably be too confusing to the beginner though.  Waving up
the menus does indeed bring in the problem of getting rid of them, but
couldn't a click outside the menus do the trick?

Laird                        The only good Mac is a Flat Mac.

------------------------------

From: JEFFS
Date: 7-DEC-09:51: Network Digests

Regarding the mouse: It is only wired to be a ONE button mouse.  If
you look at IM V3-28 you'll see that.  There is one unconnected pin
for a POSSIBLE two button mouse (but I'm not sure the VIA has any
spare connections to do this.)  Plus ALL the system software is geared
for only a SINGLE button. For Apple to add more buttons they would
have to redo the software.

You might be saying "why can't a second button just be like a 'double-click' or
a 'shift-click'."  This would be nice but EVERY application that has these
features really programs it up for these situations.  Thus just "adding" this
capability in the system doesn't mean programs wouldn't have to be rewritten.

I wish Apple had used a three button mouse (like my Xerox machines have) but
they didn't and I see no easy way for them to change their minds.

                                               Jeff

------------------------------

From: MACLAIRD
Date: 7-DEC-22:03: Network Digests

One button it is!  (I don't know where I got the impression there were three
pins available; maybe from the Lisa Hardware Manual?)

The thing that really rattles me about the one-button mouse is having
to hold that button down while, sometimes, picking the mouse up to
drag a little further along.  Things should be easier.

I believe using the VIA/SCC as a mouse analogue is one of the weakest
links in the machine.  Dedicating a sprite a la Amiga might be
overkill, but I think the mouse could plug into the keyboard MPU and
become a digital poll (not sensitive to interrupts being disabled).
The keyboard MPU could keep cumulative registers for the mouse and
report them when the 68000 got around to asking.

Of course, the mouse should plug into the keyboard anyway.  The
keyboard's cord, by the way, should plug on the same side of both the
keyboard and the computer; that's another thing I love to hate.

Laird                                     This space unintentionally left blank

------------------------------

From: DDUNHAM
Date: 8-DEC-22:13: Network Digests

Scrolling menus aren't a hack, they're just poorly implemented.  One "public
domain" implementation _DID_ have a visual indication of more stuff at either
top or bottom (unfortunately it had some other bugs).

When I tried out GEM, I kept waving up menus by accident.  Then it took some
positive action (it could have been an click outside, I don't remember) to
cancel them.  I prefer a positive action to summon menus; you can't do it by
accident, and with Apple's method, you don't cancel them by accident _if you
know how they work._

------------------------------

From: DDUNHAM
Subject: RE: A couple DA questions
Date: 7-DEC-03:58: Network Digests

> From: carlton@ji.Berkeley.EDU (Mike Carlton) > Subject: A couple DA questions
 I think Apple's warning relates to automatically opened files, like Scrapbook
File (Scrapbook doesn't obey Apple's guidelines, at least in some versions).

Open your file as soon as you return from SFGetFile.  Standard File unmounts
volumes.

 David Dunham     "If it doesn't have Undo, it's not a Mac program."
 Maitreya Design

------------------------------

From: CFULLER
Subject: AddResource probs
Date: 7-DEC-03:13: Programming Techniques

  I'm having trouble with AddResource.  When I try to convert data in memory
into a resource (part of moving code in a data file to a code resource)
AddResource bombs out.  InsideMac doesn't state what format the memory in data
should be prior to calling AddResource, but I assume its a 4 byte length
followed by the data.
  A short test code segment follows, which always bombs with an address error
after calling AddResource.  Any ideas?

PROCEDURE AddResource(theData: Handle; theType: ResType; theID: INTEGER;
                name: str255);

    ...code to create & open new resource file...

    pea RDataPtr        ;=handle to Resource data
    move.l      #INIT,-(sp)     ;res type
    move.w      #128,-(sp)      ;res id
    pea SrcFName        ;resource name string
    _AddResource                ;kaboom!!!

RData           dc.b    28,26,'This is fake resource data' RDataHndl    dc.l
0 RDataPtr      dc.l    0
SrcFName        dc.b    9,'Autoblack'

--Clayton

------------------------------

From: DWB
Subject: RE: AddResource probs (Re: Msg 1063)
Date: 7-DEC-08:49: Programming Techniques

It is important to pass AddResource a handle to the data, not just
random stuff or a faked handle.  Allocate a handle of the appropriate
size, copy the data into it and then pass it to AddResource.  There is
no need to put the size in the data you pass as it is implicit from
the handle.  The following should work:

   hand = NewHandle(28);
   BlockMove(RData, *hand, 28);
   AddResource(hand, 'INIT', 128, SrcFName);

Note that you can't pass it a pointer to a pointer instead of a handle because
it's going to treat it as a true handle, including calling GetHandleSize on it
and later setting the resource bit in the flags.

David

------------------------------

From: NETMAN
Subject: RE: IBM PC vs. Mac (Re: Msg 15480)
Date: 7-DEC-16:56: Business Mac

TO all that have participated in the PC vs. Mac discussion initiated by Ric.

Regarding the networking capabilities of the Macintosh vs. the MS(PC)-
DOS family of computers- I have been delaing with this issue for the past
 two years and I must sadly confess that the Mac is at present light-years
 behind the PC in terms of providing a REAL corporate-wide networking
 solution.  (I have been a Mac user for almost three years and really regret
 this inferiority!)  Most corporate-wide environments require a
 comprehensive solution which can provide networking services to the
 ENTIRE corporation, even if they are located in various places across the
 country.  Unfortunately, there is no way that I am aware of to provide the
 following services to users within a corporation (say 700-100 users)
 spread out over a considerable geographic distance:

1. Wide area network electronic mail.
2. Wide area network file sharing.
3. Wide area network printer sharing.
4. Wide area unattended back-up...(both incremental and full)
5. Support for direct connection to IBM hosts, DEC hosts and a variety of
 other larger computer systems.
6. Wide area modem sharing.
7. Dial-in.
8. Transient links.
9. A true, multi-user, file-server environment with 500MB of disk space
 per server.
10. Wide area network management.

Once someone can provide these services to the Mac community then there
 will be no comparison as to what is the best workstation to use in this
 environment. (The Mac wins hand down!)  Communications with ones peers
 and others outside of your immediate workgroup are a real concern for
 many Fortune 500 companies.  Network management is also a key concern.
 I know of no way to manage a Macintosh network that extends beyond the
 basic 32-user AppleTalk configuration.

Currently available PC networks offer all of these things.. Once more they
 can all be obtained from the same vendor.  (Helps when you don't want to
 get into a finger-pointing situation!)

I think that you should be recommending this type of solution to any
 company which has more than 20 PC's which they wish to network together.
  It is currently available (not vaporware or promises) and you are doing
 your clients a disservice by not recommending this solution.

DISCLAIMER:  I have no affiliation with any vendor whatsoever.  I have
 been using these solutions for almost two years and have been nothing
 less that please witht he level of service provided.  I only wish I could
 use my Mac rather than an AT to communicate!

Thanks for yer time...

Jonathan

(P.S. You may want to consider Ventura from XEROX as an alternative to
      PageMaker for the PC.)

------------------------------

From: MACINTOUCH
Subject: RE: IBM PC vs. Mac (Re: Msg 15560)
Date: 7-DEC-18:58: Business Mac

Jon,

It might be useful to elaborate on the 10 points you mention.  It's
not obvious, exactly what all the functions are.  For instance,
couldn't 1. and 2. be accomplished with inBox and Hayes' Interbridges?

Ric

------------------------------

From: NETMAN
Subject: RE: IBM PC vs. Mac (Re: Msg 15562)
Date: 7-DEC-20:07: Business Mac

It might but the performance issue comes to mind.  It would also be nice if
inBox had an CCITT X.400 interface so you could send mail to other services.
File sharing using this configuration (msg #15562) would also require that one
person send a file to another.  There should be publicly available volumes on a
central (gepographically) file server where common access is provided. Most
importantly, this should be transparent to the end-user!

Thanks for the comment though...

Later,

OskInTouch (NETMAN)

------------------------------

From: RAMARREN
Subject: RE: IBM PC vs. Mac (Re: Msg 15499)
Date: 8-DEC-22:37: Business Mac

RE: PC vs Mac

Was just reading through my latest DELPHI digest and came across this series of
conversations.   My two cents:

I work for a research laboratory.  Most of the folks I work with are
regular users of VAXen, know how to write FORTRAN programs of a fairly
complex nature but are not computer hackers by any means.  I was one
of the first in my section to requisition and obtain a Mac for my
desktop and obtained it through the following argument: "if I have a
report to write for distribution with a chart to include, I find it
more efficient to go home and create the chart with my 128K Macintosh,
write the report and print it on the ImageWriter, all together a
matter of a few hours work, then it could possiby be to 1) write a
program to generate the graphics on the VAX, 2) create the text in the
VAX editor, 3) code the text for RUNOFF and print it, 4) print out the
plots/charts/whathaveyou, 5) using scissors and glue, cut up the plots
and text and lay them out together, 6) give the text to the secretary
to retype with a word processor, 7) send the retyped text and the cut
up graphics to the Graphics department to (!) redraw the graphics by
hand and paste them together, 8) send the completed work on to the
Duplication department to make the 10/15 copies usually necessary for
distribution.  Along with proofing and redoing anything in error or
otherwise not done correctly.

Now, with 1Meg Plusses and LaserWriters, consider the following truth:
with a Mac Plus, an HD20 and a LaserWriter, MacWrite and MacDraw you
have a total system cost of approximately $8,000.  An average
presentation of about twenty to thirty minutes duration needs about 40
or so viewgraphs, each of which, if produced by Graphics, costs on the
order of $100-$200. Add to that the necessity of re-doing incorrect
ones and generating new ones at the last minute in a hurry.  A SINGLE
USER can recoup the entire cost of the system in 2-3 presentations,
with virtually no learning curve cost and with a machine that takes an
absolute minimum of office and desk space. Since most of the monies in
this institution are allocated on a project/investigator basis, the
Users are mighty interested in this.  The machine after about a year
continues to provide incredible value and is virtually free.

I know these comments don't even treat the majority of application
uses that you have in mind for a general office scenario.  I think, my
own exper- ience, that all the other uses simply strengthen the
position of the machine.

Another interesting phenomenon happens: with the PC, people spend all
their time absorbed in trying to get the machines to do what they
want.  With the Mac, people spend their extra time, AFTER producing
really nice documents and work, hacking and configuring the machines
to work better and more efficiently FOR THEM PERSONALLY.  And they
don't go away exasperated for the most part, they go away feeling good
about what they have done with the machine that day...

That is where this machine is strong and the PC is weakest.  I
couldn't believe it when I first saw it: a secretary down the hall was
given a Macintosh.  She had never set up a computer before.  I saw the
boxes go into her office at ten am.  At noon she came into my office
with three nicely LaserWritered memos, each with a MacPaint graphic of
our Logo as letterhead and nicely formatted text.  Her previous
experience had been solely with an NBI word processor.  Have you ever
seen that with a PC/XT/AT??

preps: the division manager happened into the section manager's office shortly
    after the SecManager got his mac. the SecManager was a little chary
    of this: the DivManager had just purchased 60 PC's for his offices.
    the DivManager crowed how lucky the SecManager was: 'all those damn
    PC's just sit there because no one can figure out how to use them.'

ps: my boss has had a Mac in his office for about a year.  One project he
    is working on required him to get an AT.  It took five months to get all
    the pieces necessary.  He plugged it in after the consulting group had
    "set it up".  It poured black smoke out the top of the system unit.
    Three other AT's seem to be constantly down for service.  My Mac has
    done in two HyperDrives, my boss's one and a video board.  So far, I
    think the Mac is winning.

postps: The AT left the next day.

gdg

Other Tidbits: Did you notice that a couple weeks ago, when InfoWorld had an
article about PC spreadsheets, there was a small sidebox which commented that,
because of superior graphics and ease of use, they had converted over to Excel
on the Macintosh?

DEC Professional magazine had an article on Mac-to-VAX workstation in
which it was said, I paraphrase from memory (forgive me), 'such a user
workstation on the macintosh will be quite useful in alleviating the
heavy load on the VAX in a timesharing environment..'.  What tail wags
which dog?

"How many Macintosh hardware engineers does it take to screw in a lightbulb?"
"One. He holds it up and waits for the world to revolve around him."
            - from John Dvorak, DEC Professional, Jan. '87 (?)

------------------------------

From: PEABO
Subject: RE: Tags footnote:  Seagate 225N (Re: Msg 15462)
Date: 7-DEC-20:48: MUGS Online

Is the 225N microcode stored in any especially reliable place or format on the
disk?  If you had a corrupted microcoad load, what would the controller do?  Is
there any way to reload the microcode on disk?  (Not asking because I think you
know all this off the top of your head, but because these are interesting
questions :-) Anyway, you might know!)

peter

------------------------------

From: BRECHER
Subject: RE: Tags footnote:  Seagate 225N (Re: Msg 15566)
Date: 8-DEC-01:15: MUGS Online

I don't know where or how the microcode is stored, except that it's not
available to the host.  If it's not loadable, the drive must go back to the
factory.

P.S.  The HyperDrive software-settable SCSI ID is another example of
custom 225N microcode.

------------------------------

From: INC
Subject: Default MSWord Font...
Date: 7-DEC-22:27: Business Mac

Being one who is sick of seeing MSWord boot up with New York as its
font, I was wondering how to change it to something a bit more
preferable.  Any ideas chaps?

Tally ho.

Joshua

------------------------------

From: MACINTOUCH
Subject: Upgrade shaft
Date: 8-DEC-11:16: Business Mac

ANYONE WHO HAS HAD A MAC FAIL after getting an upgrade:

Call Ed Warner at InfoWorld, 617-879-0700, for a story to appear in Monday's
issue of InfoWorld.

Ric Ford

------------------------------

From: BCS
Subject: desktop publishing
Date: 8-DEC-23:05: SIG Business

i am considering a mac system for desktop publishing. looking at microtec
scanner, and laser printer. any suggestions? i will be publishing a retail
catalog with it. i am a tandy user and know nothing of apple but what the sales
staff tells me. van ligon (bcs)

------------------------------

From: MOUSEKETEER
Subject: RE: desktop publishing (Re: Msg 15600)
Date: 8-DEC-23:44: SIG Business

Since I presently produce  mail order catalogs with a Mac and Laserwriter,
I'll just note that it works.  I use Ready Set Go for layout, though until
Cricket Draw or such makes for easy rotation of text, I admit to using
a knife and waxer for some duties.  From that end of it, you can add on all
the fonts you want (Adobe and Casady probably the best in terms of quality)
and DA's to make your work easier.

The one area I think you may be rushing the technology in is scanners.  While
there appears to be a breed on the way suitable for B&W high-quality work,
allowing for digital half-toning even, the units to date leave a bit to
be desired.  I'd suggest you pick up a copy of this month's Personal
Publishing (Renegade Publishing, P.O. Box 390, Itasca, IL  60143...312-
250-8900) for a nice discussion of scanners for desktop publishing.

Since my catalogs require full color, I have to stay with doing separations.

Alf

------------------------------

From: MACINTOUCH
Subject: MacDraw vs. RSG3
Date: 9-DEC-09:21: Business Mac

Working with someone who was a novice to the Mac last night, it became clear
that MacDraw was much easier to use to design a 1-page form than ReadySetGo 3.
This might not be the case if the user was an experienced Mac power user, but
the RSG3 interface is not perfect -- selection of objects can be awkward and
demanding, requiring that you move the cursor to the exact pixel, for instance,
to select a line.

Ric

------------------------------

From: MOUSEKETEER
Subject: RE: MacDraw vs. RSG3 (Re: Msg 15607)
Date: 10-DEC 00:16 Business Mac

Ya, using RSG any version is not fun for doing a form.  But I can't
imagine Draw being much better.  If Draw worked, it would be a cinch.
As is, I find I use Draw almost never...each time I become frustrated at
the bugs the program tosses at one.

Alf

------------------------------

From: MACINTOUCH
Subject: RE: MacDraw vs. RSG3 (Re: Msg 15629)
Date: 10-DEC 09:44 Business Mac

In this case, with Draw 1.9 (unpatched), the person encountered no bugs, while
there were some real bugs in RSG3.  I have also used PageMaker for this task,
but Draw has special abilities, such as the Duplicate function, that really
speed things up.

Ric

------------------------------

From: TSTEIN
Date: 10-DEC 10:19 Business Mac

You might look at Super Paint. Just got a copy. The drawing stuff is ok. Text
handling is much easier than in Draw. Also, the program is faster than Draw and
seems faster than MacPaint. Major restriction is that you are limited to one
page. Otherwise very good; I do a lot of Draw work, and plan to start using
SuperPaint instead. We'll see how that goes.

------------------------------

From: MACINTOUCH
Subject: Gassee in ComputerWorld
Date: 9-DEC-09:23: Business Mac

There's an interesting, if not entirely clear, report on a speech given by
Apple's Jean-Louis Gassee on social classes and their effect in US industry.
It's in ComputerWorld's December 8 issue - page 135.

Ric

------------------------------

From: MACINTOUCH
Subject: dBASE Mac delayed
Date: 9-DEC-10:03: Business Mac

(Thanks to NETMAN for this one)
dBASE MAC has been delayed until the second quarter of '87 according to a
report on page 2 of PC Week, December 9 issue.  The reason given was
unacceptable performance, which we can certainly believe.  (Maybe the
68020 Mac's will solve the problem for the programmers!)

Ric

------------------------------

From: MACINTOUCH
Subject: Overseas Mac pricing
Date: 9-DEC-10:29: Business Mac

BYTEHOVEN just returned from Europe, with the news that Macs are $4000 in Paris
(minimum!) and something like $7000 in Switzerland.  You're talking a wealthy
group of Mac owners there ...

Ric

------------------------------

From: INTECO
Subject: RE: Overseas Mac pricing (Re: Msg 15612)
Date: 10-DEC 16:57 Business Mac

The cheapest Mac+ you can get is with a university/student discount = $2550 (
including taxes). Normal prices are around $4500. Uwe

------------------------------

From: MACINTOUCH
Subject: MS/DOS on the Mac
Date: 9-DEC-15:51: Business Mac

Anyone catch the announcement that Phoenix, the company that provides
BIOSs for so many PC clones, has a _software_-based IBM PC emulator
coming out for 68000's?!  Maybe it won't be a coprocessor board after
all, but just (in Apple's best Mac tradition) a software emulator.

Ric

------------------------------

From: NOFAL
Subject: Novy 68020 board
Date: 9-DEC-17:29: Hardware & Peripherals

Where can I get more info of the Novy 68020 board? If it really costs
under $600 and it is fast I want one NOW!
        -Danny

------------------------------

From: MADMACS
Subject: RE: Novy 68020 board (Re: Msg 15621)
Date: 9-DEC-22:40: Hardware & Peripherals

A friend of mine who talked to someone at Absoft was told that Novy
made an announcement about the 68020 card on CompuServe and sold out
all 10 boards that they had in stock.  It has not been officially
announced as a product.  Absoft has been using them and they are very
happy with them apparently.  It is supposed to increase ordinary Mac
operation by 4 times and floating point by 8 times.  The speed is
still 8 MHz. Does anyone know anything more on this?? -Doug (MADMACS)

------------------------------

From: JIMH
Subject: Byte
Date: 9-DEC-20:04: Programming

Anyone notice that 4 months later none of the letters, or posts to BIX
about the problems with the Mac/Amiga Development comparison article
have ever been print ed?  Speaks volumes about Bytes intelectual
honesty.  jim

------------------------------

From: DWB
Subject: Pictures, BitMaps and the Scrap
Date: 8-DEC-21:54: Programming Techniques

Sunday in CO I asked how to go about creating a PICT resource containing a
bitmap from the screen.  I was mistakenly under the impression that CopyBits
didn't get recorded in pictures.  It turns out that if you do a CopyBits to the
current port's portBits it does get put into the picture.  The opcode used is
either PackBitsRect or PackBitsRgn depending on whether or not you specified a
clipRgn.  This means that it is rather trivial to put bits from the screen onto
the clipboard.  The code I used looks pretty much like:

  PortToScrap(port, rect)
      GrafPtr    port;
      Rect       *rect;
  {
      PicHandle  data;

      /* reduce the clip region so DrawPicture will be able to cope with it */
      ClipRect(rect);

      /* build a picture with the bitmap in it */
      data = OpenPicture(rect);
      CopyBits(&port->portBits, &port->portBits, rect, rect, srcCopy, 0l);
      ClosePicture();

      /* put the picture in the scrap */
      ZeroScrap();
      PutScrap(GetHandleSize(data), *data, 'PICT');

      /* don't need the picture no more */
      KillPicture(data);
  }

David

------------------------------

From: ASMCOR
Subject: icon positions
Date: 9-DEC-20:47: Inside Mac

Anyone-
  When creating files, IM says that you should set the fdLocation point to zero
if you want the Finder to position the icon for you. However, doing this only
*partially* works. The first row of icons is properly placed in the window, but
the next row goes almost on top of the first row. How exactly are you supposed
to do this? There must be some other trick to it than what is stated in IM.
Anyone know?

  Jan

------------------------------

From: DWB
Subject: RE: icon positions (Re: Msg 1070)
Date: 9-DEC-22:18: Inside Mac

You also have to make sure that the INIT bit get's turned off in the
file flags.  That all done, the file should be positioned properly.

David

------------------------------

From: LOFTUSBECKER
Subject: RE: Re: DASampler File Format?
Date: 9-DEC-22:52: Network Digests

>Date: Mon, 8 Dec 86 11:38:07 PST
>From: gunther.pa@Xerox.COM
>Subject: Re: DASampler File Format?

The file type you want is probably "DFIL". There's a good chance you could
use FEDIT to change these four characters to whatever Megamax produces.

An easier way might to be to use Other... version 3.05, a DA that I wrote
and use in writing other DA's - it lets you run them from disk.  Version
3.05 has an option that allows you to open _any_ type of file.

------------------------------

From: MACINTOUCH
Subject: RE: Hyper Drive Recovery
Date: 10-DEC 09:27 Network Digests

regarding:
Subject: Hyper Drive Recovery
Date: Mon, 08 Dec 86 11:39:15 EST
From: tgw@mitre-bedford.ARPA

HyperDrive dealers, Delphi, CompuServe, and some users, have a utility
program called HyperTools that may help recover your lost files.  The latest
one I'm aware of was created Aug. 25, 1986.

Speaking from experience: DO NOT RUN THE HYPERDRIVE WHICH IS HAVING PROBLEMS
until you have all your recovery tools assembled, and blank disks -- and
try to get all the data off in one pass!  Trust me!  Use an external fan
to try to keep it cool if there's a possibility it's heat-related.  The
failures I've seen _were_ heat related.  The HyperDrive would work after
cooling off, ONCE or twice.  NOT 10 times.  Probably a symptom of IC failure.

Ric Ford

------------------------------

From: DDUNHAM
Subject: RE: Re: Should we support (official solutions)
Date: 10-DEC 04:46 Network Digests

 > From: joel@gould9.UUCP (Joel West)
 > Subject: Re: Should we support (official solutions)
 >  1.   How do you interrogate or modify the mapping of key codes
 >       to ASCII values?  For example, how do I find the key code
 >       for Enter?
 03. [I-248]

 >  4.   How does a paint program disable smoothing for the LaserWriter?
 Disassemble MacPaint and see what undocumented global it changes.  Or, use the
high level drivers.

 >   5.   How does a program find the percentage reduction for
 >        the LaserWriter?
 Why do you need to know?  Isn't knowing the new page rectangle good enough?

 > 6.   How do you write a printer driver?
 Presumbably by licensing the ImageWriter source code.

From: PEABO
Subject: RE: Why won't my Mac eject the disk?!
Date: 10-DEC 09:36 Network Digests

>From: chou@husc2.UUCP (chou)
>Subject: Why won't my Mac eject the disk?!
>Date: 8 Dec 86 20:16:07 GMT

I came to the same conclusion as you about misalignment after careful
study of the disk mechanism in an infinite eject loop.  It would
almost get the disk out, then proceed to suck it back in, over and
over again.  This began happening on my Mac Plus last summer, even
though in the preceding 5 months or so I had zero problems, and it
tended the happen much more often with certain disks.  Another variant
is almost ejecting the disk, getting caught up a bit, and then
shooting it out with considerable force, so that it lands in a plate
of Yiu-Shiang fried rice in front of the Mac (I have more than one Mac
on my desk, and the Plus is off to the side a bit).

I have always surmised this had something to do with heat and/or humidity, the
thickness of disk labels, etc., etc.

DON'T PULL ON THE DISK WHEN IT GETS HUNG UP.  You could damage the heads.

I have tried your paperclip technique, also tried using the thin
slippery backing that disk labels come on to reduce friction (stick it
slightly inside the bezel of the drive), also gently nudging the disk
up or down with a finger just at the instant it gets caught (a deft
touch and some luck is required) and other subterfuges, with variable
succcess.  The first time a disk got into the infinite eject loop, I
finally shut the machine off and used my Mac opening tools to take it
apart, removed the logic board, unmounted the disk drive and manually
popped the disk out (it popped right out when the drive was in my
hand).  (The worst part of this procedure is unplugging the cable to
the analog board because it is a locking Molex connector which I don't
have a tool for, and I get nervous fiddling around the insides of a
machine which I know has high voltage not many inches away from my
sweaty grip.)

The second time the infinite eject loop happened, I fiddled with the
position of the disk drive when remounting it to the Mac frame.  There
is a little play in the positions of the screws.  After that, the
problem was still there, but MUCH LESS frequent.  Since the weather
got cooler, I have had no problems at all.

peter                          "In any context, half of all references
PEABO @ DELPHI                  are local and half are global."

------------------------------

From: MACINTOUCH
Subject: RE: DiskExpress/DataFrame problems (Re: Msg 15150)
Date: 10-DEC 13:09 Hardware & Peripherals

I talked with ALSoft about the problem.  They're really helpful.  It
appears that some versions of the DataFrame had a problem hanging in
the Examine routine.  This is what happened to me.  They thought that
had been fixed in the newer DataFrame software and were surprised I'd
seen it.  The examine routine simply does a read of every block on the
disk, looking for a bad completion code.  Hence, it's not necessary to
run this routine, and it might run into timing problems that the other
routines wouldn't.  Anyway, I've been using DiskExpress Desktop
Compress and file optimization on the DataFrame XP40 without problems.
It even runs fairly quickly, apparently due to the speed of the drive
(although there's a real slow CPU stage that takes 10 minutes or more
for my 1500+ files).

1.06 _is_ the current version of DiskExpress, by the way.

Also, they know about the problem setting DiskExpress as the Startup
applicationand they'll be fixing it in a future release.  Just don't do it.

Ric

------------------------------

From: MACINTOUCH
Subject: HyperDrives and floppy drive failure
Date: 10-DEC 14:22 Hardware & Peripherals

I've now seen the internal 800K floppy drive fail 3 times in HyperDrives.
I'm wondering whether it's just bad drives, technician problems (all were
upgrades) or something related to the HyperDrive.  Has anyone else noticed
a higher rate of failure with HyperDrives than in regular Mac Plus upgrades?

Ric

------------------------------

From: MACINTOUCH
Subject: GCC policies
Date: 10-DEC 18:40 Business Mac

I had a chat with Elena Gonzales at General Computer today, about my review of
the HyperDrive 2000, and my suggestions for changes in pricing and some other
marketing issues which were included in the review.  Elena seemed open to
suggestions, even about pricing, and I think that other people's input would be
accepted too, at this point.  The market is changing and GCC doesn't have any
better guarantee of continued financial success than anyone else. I'd like to
see them continue to succeed, because they've done some great innovation in the
Mac world, and to that end, I invite other people to comment on marketing and
pricing issues here on the nets.  They will be read by the technical group at
GCC and passed on to the other folks.

Ric Ford

------------------------------

From: KWILLEY
Subject: Programming the Serial Ports
Date: 9-DEC-21:46: Programming Techniques

I'm working on a project which is using a Mac+ as a controller for
some external Gas Plasma touch-screen displays.  I'm currently using a
direct serial connection to a special I/O controller board which will
arbitrate the inputs of several of these displays.  I'm looking for
information on how to program the serial Ports to operate faster than
57600 baud, which is the highest direct serial connection speed
supported with the high level serial driver calls in IM.(If I'm wrong
about that, somebody correct me!!!).  Anyway, I'm looking for help and
references for learning about how to do the high speed serial port
access.  I'd like to stay away from AppleTalk just because I don't
want the added complexity of converting all my communication to
packets.  Thanx in advance, Kevin.

------------------------------

From: PEABO
Subject: RE: Programming the Serial Ports (Re: Msg 1073)
Date: 10-DEC 08:54 Programming Techniques

Refernce number one is the data sheet from Zilog on the Z8530 chip used in the
Mac.  You will also have the pleasure of programming your own serial driver for
the beastie, so I suggest strongly that you get in touch with Apple Tech
Support.  They are available on MCI Mail, and with great difficulty by
telephone.  If you are a Registered Developer, you get better service and for a
project of this nature it would be a good idea to look into that as well.

peter

------------------------------

From: INTECO
Date: 10-DEC 17:25 Programming Techniques

The only other baud rate you can use over 576000 baud is the Apple Talk speed.
Quite good sources are the back issues of MacTutor. 1/86,11/85

Uwe

------------------------------

From: PEABO
Subject: RE: Programming the Serial Ports (Re: Msg 1076)
Date: 10-DEC 19:50 Programming Techniques

I think you can use external clocking at just about any bit rate, until you run
out of CPU power around 700K bps.  The exact upper limit depends on how much
code you need to put into the character service routine, and what speed memory
you are running out of.

Using external clocking also requires knowledge of how to configure the serial
ports.

peter

------------------------------

From: JEFFS
Subject: FOND question
Date: 10-DEC 20:42 Programming Techniques

I've run into an interesting problem relating to FOND resources and
I'm wondering if it is "kosher" or not: Should the FONT resource ID
for a plain font of a certain size in a given family be computed as
described in IM V1 or can it be any ID?  The problem was that I saw a
FOND contain the FONT resource ID of 13 for a 12 point font in family
0.  According to the standard "old" FONT numbering conventions this
really indicates a size of 13 in font ID 0.  The problem is that if
you only look at FONT resources you would think that 13 *was* the
correct size and get scaled output since the new Font Manager, looking
in the FOND resource, would say it was a 12 point font.

I couldn't find anywhere in IM V4 where it said that the FONT resource
ID of a plain font *had* to follow the old numbering scheme.  I think
it should and is a bug if it doesn't.  What do you think?

                                               Jeff

------------------------------

From: JEFFS
Subject: Epstart print driver
Date: 10-DEC 20:50 Programming Techniques

Anyone have any experience with the Epstart Epson printer driver?  I
have a program that uses the normal high level print driver to do all
my printing. I've recently received a report from a user saying that
my program prints garbage in "Faster" mode (but works ok in "Draft"
mode) on his Epson.  He further states that no other programs have
this problem.  Has anyone else experienced this problem or have any
suggestions?  My program works fine on the ImageWriter's, LaserWriter
and with Glue so I can't think of what the problem is.

                                               Jeff

End of Delphi Mac Digest
-------