[mod.mac] Delphi Mac Digest V2 #67

SHULMAN@RED.RUTGERS.EDU.UUCP (12/19/86)

Delphi Mac Digest        Friday, 19 December 1986      Volume 2 : Issue 67

Today's Topics:
     RE: File Problem
     RE: Micah Hard Disks
     PC MacKey keyboard
     Bizarre SuperBackup bug
     MW Expo/SF Hotel Info
     RE: HyperDrives and floppy drive failure
     RagTime
     SuperPaint... (2 messages)
     Mac discharges (2 messages)
     Ridding oneself of resources (2 messages)
     Microsoft Basic and Fortran
     RE: Folder sizes?
     RE: APL for the Mac (2 messages)
     RE: Diskette Quality
     mac clone? (3 messages)
     RE: FOND question
     freezing mac+ (3 messages)
     miniWRITER and fresh LaserWriter
     RE: MockWrite won't load files >28K
     VAX<->InterBridge<->AppleTalk
     pascal fns in LightspeedC (2 messages)
     Re: MPW question
     RE: Novy systems 68020 products

From: DDUNHAM
Subject: RE: File Problem
Date: 11-DEC 03:53 Network Digests

 > From: pixar!upstill@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU (Steve Upstill)
 > Subject: File Problem
 It's not a problem if your program doesn't die.  But if you don't
trust your own software, you can open files read-only by using PBOpen
and setting ioPermssn = fsRdPerm.

 David Dunham     "A mind is like a parachute.  It only functions when open."
 Maitreya Design

------------------------------

From: DDUNHAM
Subject: RE: Micah Hard Disks
Date: 11-DEC 03:53 Network Digests

 > From: Kerien.Fitzpatrick@h.cs.cmu.edu
 > Subject: Micah Hard Disks
 Screeching hard disks can be cured by cutting off the grounding strap (which
connects to the centre spindle), or so I've been told by people associated with
two different hard disk companies.  I had to do it on a Corvus Omnidrive -- it
cured the awful noise, and no ill effects (so far). I recommend this as a last
resort only.

 David Dunham     "If it doesn't have Undo, it's not a Mac program."
 Maitreya Design

------------------------------

From: MACINTOUCH
Subject: PC MacKey keyboard
Date: 11-DEC 19:23 Business Mac

After a year's hassling, we finally got a PC MacKey keyboard from Tangent
Technologies for evaluation.  This is the keyboard that's configured like
an IBM PC-AT, complete with "Alt" instead of Option and "Ctrl" instead
of the cloverleaf.  The positions of these keys are moved to IBM-standard
locations (which can be nice when using terminal emulators).

There are 10 function keys on the left, large shift keys left and right, a
huge Return key, and a complete keypad on the right.  Software is provided
to make the Function keys turn into  Command key combinations (including
cut and paste), and do other neat stuff.  I am using it right now without
any software, and apart from the function keys, it seems to work fine.

The feel of the keys isn't perfectly smooth, but I seem to be typing
better than with the Mac keyboard.  You still have to push a little
hard, but there's a tactile click about the middle of the key travel (not just
the Mac's clunk at the bottom).  The specs say "carbon dome" switches.

One striking thing is that this keyboard is a great deal _quieter_ when you're
typing.

Please leave questions here about the keyboard.  I'm sure I won't think of
everything, and a lot of people seem to be curious about it -- it's something
of a rarity, I guess -- I don't know anyone who has one.

The width is just about the same the old style Mac keyboard and keypad combo.
The depth is maybe 50% greater.  The height is about half, and two legs in the
back can be used to tilt it up or leave it flat.  There's a Caps Lock light.

Well, here's an excuse to start writing all the MacInTouch articles that
are overdue!

Ric Ford

(now where are those exit keys ...)

------------------------------

From: MACINTOUCH
Subject: Bizarre SuperBackup bug
Date: 11-DEC 19:27 Bugs & Features

Here's a bizarre bug, as reported by JIMWEINRICH after he called
SuperMac.  Apparently the 1.21 version of SuperBackup has some strange
file attribute that is such that when you put it into a folder, your
mouse will sometimes freeze when opening the folder by double-clicking
on it (not with the Open menu item)!  The workaround is to use the
newer 1.27 version of the program; the explanation is beyond me!

Ric

------------------------------

From: BMUG
Subject: MW Expo/SF Hotel Info
Date: 11-DEC 20:46 MUGS Online

At last!  I've got the info about a good deal on hotel rates in San Francisco
for MW Expo.  The deal is at the YORK HOTEL, at 940 Sutter.  The basic rate is
$65/night, but if we get over 40 rooms through this deal, the rate will go down
to $62.  Call (415) 885-6800 and tell 'em BMUG sent you... If the person on the
phone doesn't know what BMUG is, ask 'em to talk to Noel Abella.  Call soon,
because the York has only 96 rooms, total.

-- Raines / BMUG

P.S. Feel free to re-post this message onto other services and BBS's

------------------------------

From: HOFFMAN
Subject: RE: HyperDrives and floppy drive failure (Re: Msg 15649)
Date: 11-DEC 22:18 Hardware & Peripherals

I suspect that the 800K floppy drive failures you are seeing are not related to
the HyperDrive.  I have seen a lot of INTERNAL 800K drives fail, where no
Hyperdrive was involved.  I think Sony has a quality control problem with that
one.

------------------------------

From: RAMARREN
Subject: RagTime
Date: 12-DEC 01:53 Business Mac

I am wonder if anyone has seen a page layout program named "RagTime" I
saw it at a local dealer's place and it looked very easy to
use,speedy, etc. Like to know if anyone has any experience with it.

thanks, gdg

------------------------------

From: RAMARREN
Subject: SuperPaint...
Date: 12-DEC 01:54 Business Mac

When? where? etc. Heard a lot about it, seen two beta copies, never
had a chance to play wit it. should I be more interested in Cricket
Draw?

gdg

------------------------------

From: MOUSEKETEER
Subject: RE: SuperPaint... (Re: Msg 15700)
Date: 13-DEC 01:16 Business Mac

SuperPaint is now, available at most dealers, mail order houses,
etc.  List is $99, going for around $60 at discounters.  That's the
easy part of your question...as far as waiting or looking for
Cricket Draw, it depends on what you want to use the program for.

As stated on the Addendum to version 1.0 of SuperPaint, "In its
present state, SuperPaint is not intended to be a replacement for
MacDraw.  ...we will certainly be adding many more features to the
Draw side of the program.  In the meantime, please recognize it for
what it is, the best paint program available."

If your uses would run mostly toward the sort of graphics you might
use MacDraw for, you'd likely feel rather limited by SuperPaint
(in fact, you'd even feel rather limited using MacDraw for that).
While it is a great leap from MacPaint, and includes some nice
Draw-like capabilities, it simply isn't designed to allow the
sort of work for which Cricket Draw will be used (and, of course,
is priced much lower than Cricket Draw....$99 vs. $250-295). If
your graphic needs require an all-around program that allows for
both Paint and Draw capabilities, along with neat add-ons like
LaserBits (300 dpi), full text handling, etc., then I couldn't
recommend SuperPaint highly enough.

Alf

------------------------------

From: MACINTOUCH
Subject: Mac discharges
Date: 12-DEC 17:51 Hardware & Peripherals

Does anyone have a good understanding of the best way to discharge the high-
voltage capacitors in a Mac prior to working on the internals?  I've seen
some people simply turn on the power switch in the back with the cord
disconnected -- I've also heard that Apple has a procedure for shorting the
video circuitry to chassis ground.

What's the easiest, safest, best way to do it?  Could the power supply be
damaged by doing it incorrectly?

Ric Ford

------------------------------

From: MOUSEKETEER
Subject: RE: Mac discharges (Re: Msg 15711)
Date: 12-DEC 21:32 Hardware & Peripherals

EEEEEEK!!!  Fried Ric!

And just what business do you think you have playing around in there!?!?
(grin)
Rumor has it that leaving your Mac off for as little as 12 hours will bleed
the high power caps.  And shorting the main video lead to the
shielding around the CRT itself leaves the caps empty.

But let me tell you a short little story....

Quite a few years ago, working on a power supply that had been removed
from service many months previously, I reached across toward the caps.  A
little voice said "Stupid!", so I grabbed my favorite Xcelite screwdriver
and laid it across the cap leads.  That very screwdriver, it's shaft
melted 2/3rd's through, now hangs on the wall over my workbench as a friendly
reminder.

The easiest, safest, best way to work inside the Mac is to find a good
service department and give it to them.

:-)
Alf

------------------------------

From: DDUNHAM
Subject: Ridding oneself of resources
Date: 12-DEC 23:06 Programming Techniques

What exactly happens when you DisposHandle(resourceHandle)?  I know it isn't
good.  It seems to be OK if you DetachResource(resourceHandle) first.

------------------------------

From: BRECHER
Subject: RE: Ridding oneself of resources (Re: Msg 1087)
Date: 16-DEC 02:59 Programming Techniques

DisposHandle(resourceHandle) frees the relocatable block but leaves the (now
invalid) handle in the file's resource map (in RAM), which is trouble if any
further Resource Manager calls cause reference to the handle.

DetachResource tells the Resource Manager that the handle is no longer to be
associated with the resource.  Note that ReleaseResource is equivalent to
DetachResource plus DisposHandle.

------------------------------

From: MACINTOUCH
Subject: Microsoft Basic and Fortran
Date: 13-DEC 09:32 Programming

Microsoft is shipping Fortran 2.20, Basic Interpreter 3.00, and Basic Compiler
1.00.  These are the latest versions.

Ric Ford

------------------------------

From: DDUNHAM
Subject: RE: Folder sizes?
Date: 13-DEC 19:26 Network Digests

 > From: "Steve Munson" <sbm@purdue.edu>
 > Subject: Folder sizes?
 You can't do anything; Finder won't display them (it may remember for a while
after you open them).

------------------------------

From: MACINTOUCH
Subject: RE: APL for the Mac
Date: 13-DEC 20:12 Network Digests

To: ljdickey@water.UUCP (Lee Dickey)

I just noticed another APL for the Mac, listed in the About box of the
nifty little "Layout" program from Leptonic Systems.  It says that
Leptonic Systems has an APL called MacAPL.  The address is given as
LeptonicSystems Design Co., 405 Tarrytown Rd. #145, White Plains, NY 10601;
914-682-0377.  I'd be interested in hearing any more details on price
availability and capabilities.

Ric Ford
"MacInTouch" newsletter

------------------------------

From: LEPTONICSYS
Date: 15-DEC 00:03 Network Digests

Ric- MacAPL was written exclusively for the Macintosh. Some of the features
include:

200 page User Guide, Multiple open running workspaces, Access to ROM
via machine language subroutines, Standard cut and paste function
editing windows, SANE numerics, Online help via a quick-reference
window, LaserWriter support and formatted workspace printing ability,
Transfer of text to DAs and other applications through the clipboard,
A dynamic state indicator window useful for debugging, Not copy
protected, A free runtime version you can distribute with your
workspaces, Three updates (one about every two months),

A slightly out of date demo version (lacks the Save command) can be downloaded
from Delphi. In that version, some standard APL functions are missing. The
current version of MacAPL is available now.

About to be released in Jan. is version 2, which will contain a
picture data type, and shared variables that communicate over
AppleTalk or the serial ports.  Pictures are imported through the
clipboard and can be assigned to an APL variable. The picture bitmap
can then be manipulated by all the APL primitives as though it was a
large boolean (1s and 0s) matrix. For example you can rotate it,
invert it, and test and set individual pixels by indexing into the
variable.  The picture can be displayed by MacAPL directly or exported
back through the clipboard. Shared variables allow networked Macs
running MacAPL to communicate data or short messages to each other in
a simple fashion. Version 2 will be sent to all users as part of the
update subscription.

-Mike O'Connor, author of MacAPL

------------------------------

From: BMUG
Subject: RE: Diskette Quality
Date: 14-DEC 00:51 Network Digests

To: Thomas Dowdy
Subject: Diskette Quality

Tom -

The summary results of the disk survey, still in progress, appear in the
Fall 1986 BMUG Newsletter (available in early January, currently at the
printer).  I'll see if I can get that info converted to text form and
posted to the nets.

-- Raines Cohen
   BMUG

------------------------------

From: JOSEF
Subject: mac clone?
Date: 14-DEC 02:13 Business Mac

Anybody notice the note in last week's EE Times about about Sharp
(Tokyo) coming out with a Mac compatible?  It's supposedly sports a
512x512 screen. I'll bet Apples's lawyers are really hopping on this
one!

Joe

------------------------------

From: BMUG
Subject: RE: mac clone? (Re: Msg 15754)
Date: 14-DEC 03:49 Business Mac

It was discussed at the BMUG meeting... it is supposedly a Mac+-compatible,
maybe with color, coming out next year sometime or other, by Sharp.

-- Raines / BMUG

------------------------------

From: PEABO
Date: 14-DEC 20:03 Business Mac

I wonder how close their Toolbox is to the Mac?  There is ample
precedent for legal reimplementation of a software interface, provided
the company that does it is scrupulously careful in the way it is
done.  (Phoenix Software Associates' legal BIOS for the IBM PC.)  This
is possibly why Apple has been pursuing the look and feel argument on
infringement.

peter

------------------------------

From: DSACHS
Subject: RE: FOND question (Re: Msg 1078)
Date: 13-DEC 23:26 Programming Techniques

As long as an application is "well behaved", there needs to be NO CORRELATION
WHATSOEVER between the ID of a FONT resource and the font family and size it
actually represents.  For example if you want to override the Chicago 12 font
you can use a FONT resource with any desired ID.

There are some applications that ARE bothered by non-standard FONT IDs.
Particularly notable among them are Apples own Font/DA Mover, which is VERY
preturbed if you try such tricks, and the Resource Editor, which does not know
how to list non-standardly numbered fonts, though you can handle FONT resources
by holding down the option key when selecting "FONT"
Some applications run into trouble in building their Font menus.  The worst
offender that I am familiar with is Pagemaker 1.2, which absolutely depends on
finding the size 0 named FONT resources.  Microsoft applications have minor
problems.   Applications like MacPaint and MacWrite that generate an unlimited
Font menu have absolutely no problems whatsoever with "nonstandard" FONT
resource numbering.

------------------------------

From: MOUSE1
Subject: freezing mac+
Date: 15-DEC 22:19 Hardware & Peripherals

Help! I was in the middle of using Excel when it suddenly froze
completely! I was using my new mac+ with an old excel program disk (no
system folder) but my startup disk with my documents had the updated
system folder.  I noticed the program loaded very slowly - 1% at a
time.  I shut down, re started - same thing. Shut down again,
re-started again and all was fine.  I have to add when I originally
started all was o.k.  Any idea what happened?
   Judy

------------------------------

From: MACINTOUCH
Subject: RE: freezing mac+ (Re: Msg 15809)
Date: 16-DEC 09:23 Hardware & Peripherals

Judy,
   The first problem I look for with Excel is memory -- did you use a
desk accessory (like Acta) within Excel?  Do you have disk caching or
spooling or anything like that running?

Ric

------------------------------

From: MOUSE1
Subject: RE: freezing mac+ (Re: Msg 15818)
Date: 16-DEC 20:42 Hardware & Peripherals

nope. I think it was just a freak or maybe the machine had the flu!
The one thing I noticed was that the memory loaded v-e-r-y slowly --
about 1% at a time.  no trouble since.
  judy

------------------------------

From: DDUNHAM
Subject: miniWRITER and fresh LaserWriter
Date: 16-DEC 23:59 Bugs & Features

The new miniWRITER 1.3 allows LaserWriter owners to choose between Courier10,
Helvetica10, or Times12 for printout (you can view the file in any font).
However, the LaserWriter drivers don't seem to support printing in any font
except Courier10 UNLESS you first print something with any other program.  If
you choose Times or Helvetica from miniWRITER right after powering on the
LaserWriter, it'll print in Courier -- but special characters (such as smart
quotes) won't print.

I'll be looking into this, but am away from a LaserWriter for 2 weeks, so be
careful.

------------------------------

From: DDUNHAM
Subject: RE: MockWrite won't load files >28K
Date: 17-DEC 23:24 Network Digests

 > From: ARAJ%CRNLVAX5.BITNET@cu-arpa.cs.cornell.edu
 > Subject: MockWrite won't load files >28K
 Both MockWrite and miniWRITER (which I wrote) use the TextEdit
routines in the ROM.  These routines limit you to 32K max. Donald
Brown was a bit more cautious in only letting you go to 28K (I thought
it was 29K) -- his explanation was that you could still type in 3-4K.
miniWRITER lets you open files 30K or smaller.  But it also lets you
read _any_ 30K segment of a file.

Any file over 32K created by MockWrite was probably garbage.

From: MACINTOUCH
Subject: VAX<->InterBridge<->AppleTalk
Date: 18-DEC 10:24 Network Digests

There was a posting on the net a while ago suggesting the use of a Hayes
InterBridge for a quick-and-dirty connection of AppleTalk and a VAX 9600
baud serial port.

I'm curious to know if anyone has actually set up a useful network using
this technique, and, if so, what functions it performs.  What *software* is
needed on each end??

Ric Ford

------------------------------

From: DDUNHAM
Subject: pascal fns in LightspeedC
Date: 17-DEC 23:25 Programming Techniques

How do you use pointers to pascal functions in LsC?  I'd like to use
     typedef pascal int (*PROCPTR)();
 but it doesn't seem to like it.

------------------------------

From: PEABO
Subject: RE: pascal fns in LightspeedC (Re: Msg 1100)
Date: 18-DEC 03:22 Programming Techniques

I just tried it and found out that 'pascal' is a storage class.  LSC won't let
you do these either:

typedef static int (*AA)();
typedef extern int (*AA)();

I suppose this is 'why' it doesn't work, but on the other hand, it seems like

pascal int (*AA)();

should work, but that gets "invalid declaration".  I tried this too, with no
luck:

typedef pascal int TT();
TT (*AA);

:-(
peter

------------------------------

From: BRECHER
Subject: Re: MPW question
Date: 19-DEC 03:35 MUGS Online

To: CML5A9%IRISHMVS.BITNET@WISCVM.WISC.EDU

> Describe a general [MPW shell] method for doing
> character [position] based [delete or] search/replace (ie, change all
> of the characters in position number 4 to a percent sign, etc)

In the following script, the metasymbol <optX> means the character generated
by Option-X, where X could be any key.  <opt^X> means Option-Shift-X.

# replacenth  -- an MPW script
# replace n'th char in all lines in a file which are at least n chars long

# usage:  replacenth n replacementchar file

# To delete the n'th char, replace it with nil, i.e., specify an empty
# string using '' (double apostrophe) for replacementchar

target "{3}"
find <opt8>                         # move to start of file
loop
  find /<opt8>?<opt\>{1}<opt^\>/    # select next n chars at start of a line
  break if {status} != 0            # quit if none
  find <opt6><optJ>                 # position after n'th char of the line
  replace <opt6><opt!>1:<opt6>!1 "{2}" # replace the n'th char
  find <optJ>!1                     # advance one line
end

------------------------------

From: RYAD
Subject: RE: Novy systems 68020 products
Date: 19-DEC 06:50 Network Digests

regarding your info on Novy systems 68020 products.  Pleased to let you know of
Ryad's line of coprocessor + RAM upgrade boards.

from bottom of line (Apple logic board substitute)
   16 Mhz 68000 w/ 512K add'l RAM(1MB Total) for $595 retail to 16 Mhz 68020
w/1MB add'l (2MB total) for $1,995 - 68881 option $250

I've posted special developer's discount for delphi members on developer's SIG

68000 boards shipping Dec 24th - 68020's shipping Jan 1st, 1987.  We'll be at
MacWorld SF, booth 400.  Wait till you see our benchmarks!  Not just 40% of
Levco Prodigy but within +/- 5%.  We'll have full 4MB available Feb-Mar
timeframe, with some very trick hardware features to boot.

Any info requests to:

        John Byrne
	Ryad
	2521-F N. Grand Avenue, Suite 950
        Santa Ana, CA 92701                VOICE PHONE:  (714) 558-0662

See ad on page 165, January 1987 issue of MacUser!

End of Delphi Mac Digest
-------