Date: Thu, 18 Dec 86 09:40:01 EST
From: Paul Rutter <philabs!per@briar>
Subject: Looking for advice for using multiple stacks

I want to experiment with an application with multiple stacks (for multiple
tasks).  One problem is that if the SP points to within the application heap,
the "stack sniffer" (which runs off the vertical blanking interval
interrupt), thinks the heap and stack have collided, and causes an error.

Does anyone have experience with:

  a) turning the stack sniffer off
  b) using the user stack pointer (the Mac normally uses only supervisor mode)
     (entering user mode is easy enough, but I am not sure of the consequences,
     or how to cleanly exit back to supervisor when the application exits).

I have the 512K Mac with 64K ROMs.
								thanx.

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 17 Dec 86 22:58:17 CST
From: Scott Comer <wert@rice.edu>
Subject: WDRefNum question...

Apple tells us that wdRefNums can be closed by the system (i.e., Standard
File and the Finder) if they have the special system proc id ('ERIC').
What does this mean if you set the default volume to be a wdRefNum and it
gets closed? What about the replies from standard file, and the AppFile
thingies? How long do they stay around?

Seems to be that a wdRefNum is only good while it is fresh. Since there
are a limitted number of them, they can get stale pretty fast if you
aren't careful. How you deal with the default volume reference number
becoming stale, I haven't a clue. Anyone have some ideas?

scott out.

------------------------------

Date: 18 Dec 86 12:43:00 EST
From: <bouldin@ceee-sed.ARPA>
Subject: Hiding the Fortran runtime window

If you are programming with Absoft Fortran, it is nice to be able to
hide the runtime window. If you patch the runtime library, f77.rl, the
runtime window can be made invisible. This keeps the runtime window from
ever appearing, so only the windows explicitly declared by your program
will appear. Especially if you are distributing programs done in
Fortran, it can be quite confusing to see the runtime window
momentarily appear as the runtime library is loaded and then disappear
when your code closes the window. This patch will prevent that.

With your favorite HEX editing tool search f77.rl for:

3F3C0101
3F3C0001
2F3CFFFF
FFFF

and replace with

3F3C0101
3F3C0000
2F3CFFFF
FFFF

The runtime window is now declared invisible.

------------------------------

Date: Thu 18 Dec 86 17:02:51-PST
From: Brad A. Silverberg <SILVERBERG@CSL.SRI.COM>
Subject: turbo pascal

To fix the problem reported trying to read the README, move the
file Read.file from Turbo Pascal's system folder to the system folder
on your hard disk (or to the desk top).

Brad Silverberg

(The comments in this note DO reflect those of my employer,
Borland International.)

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 19 Dec 86 12:13:04 SET
From: Alexander Falk  <K360950%AEARN.BITNET@WISCVM.WISC.EDU>
Subject: RE: MACAPP SOURCES... / KITCHEN TABLE PROGRAMMERS...

HERE IS SOME CONTRIBUTION TO THE 'KITCHEN TABLE PROGRAMMERS' STUFF FROM
EUROPE:

AS I AM ONE OF THOSE USERS NOT EQUIPPED WITH AN HARD DISK AND THUS WORKING
WITH 2 800K DRIVES AND A RAMDISK (ONLY 1MB MEMORY ON MY MAC+), I HAVE BEEN
CALLED 'KITCHEN TABLE PROGRAMMER'. THIS IS IN FACT NOT TRUE, SINCE
I AM USING MACAPP AND THE WORKSHOP ON MY ENVIRONMENT, AND IT'S WORKING.
OF COURSE, I SPENT 3 DAYS AND 3 NIGHTS IN GETTING THIS JOB DONE. HERE IS
THE SOLUTION:
  BUILD A RAM DISK, WHICH IS MAX. 400K
  MOVE SYSTEM, SHELL, IMAGEWRITER, STARTUP, SUSPEND, RESUME AND QUIT INTO
    THE RAM DISK, DON'T COPY THE FINDER - THAT'S A WASTE OF 70K
    USE FEDIT TO EDIT THE BOOTBLOCK ON YOUR RAM START DISK, SO IT CONTAINS
    FINDER FILE NAME: MPW SHELL / INITIAL FILE TO RUN: RAMSTART
  MAKE A 800K DISK CALLED P, WHICH CONTAINS
    PASCAL, THE FOLDER PINTERFACES AND THE .P FILES FROM MACAPP SOURCES
    DO NOT MOVE .INC1.P FILES TO THIS DISK, THEY ARE NOT NECESSARY
  MAKE ANOTHER 800K DISK CALLED L, WHICH CONTAINS
    SOME TOOLS, YOU REALLY NEED: MAKE, LINK, LIB, REZ, POSTREZ, ...
    THE FOLDERS: PLIBRARIES, LIBRARIES, RINCLUDES
    THIS COULD IN FACT BE A 400K DISK, SO YOU COULD GET ALONG WITH
    A MAC+ AND AN EXTERNAL 400K DISK AND STILL USE MACAPP
  MAKE ANOTHER 800K DISK CALLED MPW, WHICH CONTAINS
    YOUR SOURCE CODE IN A FOLDER CALLED WORK
    THE MACAPP MAKE FILES FOLDER
    THE MACAPP RESOURCE FILES: YOU HAVE TO RUN REZ ON ALL .R FILES BEFORE
      YOU CAN USE THEM. PUT ALL .R AND .RSRC FILES INTO THIS FOLDER
    THE MACAPP OBJECT FILES: ONLY THE FILE MACAPPLIB.O IS NEEDED. IT
      CONTAINS ALL .O FILES
  THIS SHOULD LEAVE ABOUT 300K FREE SPACE ON THE MPW DISK. DON'T FORGET
  TO CUSTOMIZE THE MACAPPSTARTUP AND STARTUP FILES, SO THEY SPECIFY THE
  NEW PATHNAME FOR ALL FILES

UNFORTUNATELY THE MACAPP OBJECT LIBRARY 'MACAPPLIB.O' CAN NOT BE COMPILED,
LINKED AND LIB'ED ON THIS ENVIRONMENT. THIS MEANS, YOU HAVE TO ASK A FRIEND,
WHO HAS GOT A HARD DISK, TO MAKE A COPY OF HIS MACAPPLIB.O FILE. AH, YES -
THERE IS ANOTHER THING: IF YOU WANT TO SWITCH FROM DEBUG TO NODEBUG OR BACK,
YOU HAVE TO MAKE ONE MPW-DISK FOR DEBUG AND ONE FOR NODEBUG. THIS MEANS, THAT
YOU NEED ONE COPY OF MACAPPLIB.O, WHICH WAS CREATED BY 'BUILD MACAPP'
AND ONE, WHICH WAS CREATED BY THE COMMAND 'BUILD MACAPP NODEBUG'.

I HOPE, THIS HELPS SOME 'KITCHEN TABLE PROGRAMMERS' TO GET MACAPP WORKING
ON THEIR CONFIGURATION. IF YOU NEED MORE DETAILS, SEND ME A SHORT NOTE
AND I WILL SEND YOU A LISTING OF MY DISK CONFIGURATION.

PROGRAMS CURRENTLY UNDER DEVELOPMENT ON MY TABLE (IT IS   N O T   A KITCHEN
TABLE...):
  BALL & STICK:     DRAWS BALL & STICK MODELS OF MOLECULES AND SAVES THEM
                    AS 'PICT' FILES.
                    A PRERELEASE COPY CAN BE OBTAINED BY SENDING 30 US-DOLLAR
                    TO THE ADDRESS GIVEN BELOW
  MACSCIPLOT:       PLOTS 2 AND 3 DIMENSIONAL FUNCTIONS OR SCIENTIFIC DATA
                    IN VARIOUS COORDINATE SYSTEMS (LOG, EXP, ...) AND APPLIES
                    REGRESSION, FOURIER ANALYSIS, ... ON THE DATA
                    CURRENTLY ONLY VERY EARLY DEVELOPMENT VERSION AVAILABLE
  INSULTS:          A DESK ACESSORY, WHICH STARTS TO BRING UP DIALOG BOXES
                    CONTAINING INSULTS. THIS PROGRAM IS DEDICATED TO EVERYBODY
                    WHO CALLS ME A 'KITCHEN TABLE PROGRAMMER'...

SOME FEW MORE WORDS ON 'KITCHEN TABLE PROGRAMMERS':
  WHY DO YOU CALL A PERSON, WHO INDEED DOES SERIOUS SOFTWARE DEVELOPMENT
  ON HIS MAC A 'KITCHEN...'? IS IT ONLY BECAUSE HE HAS NO HARD DISK, NO
  4 MB MEMORY, NO 68881 COPROCESSOR, NO...   (ALLADIN, WHERE ARE YOU..)
  OF COURSE, I DO NOT SELL MY PROGRAMS IN THE STANDARD WAY, BUT SHAREWARE
  IS SOFTWARE, TOO.

SOME COMMENT TO THE RUMORS ABOUT THE NEW MAC:
  I HOPE THERE WILL BE SOME UPGRADE TO THE 'ALLADIN', SO I CAN GET MORE
  PERFORMANCE ON MY MAC. I'D RATHER PREFER A MEMORY UPGRADE AND FASTER
  PROCESSOR, THAN A HARD DISK. PLEASE APPLE, GIVE ME AN UPGRADE...

ALEXANDER

BITNET:     K360950%AEARN
SNAIL-MAIL: A.FALK / N.MUELLER
            INST. F. CHEMIE / JOH. KEPLER UNIVERSITAET LINZ
            A-4040 LINZ / AUSTRIA

DISCLAIMER: THE USUALLY DISCLAIMER APPLIES...
            I'M IN FACT A SATISFIED USER OF MPW 1.0B2 AND MACAPP
            YOU MAY CALL ME AN 'APPLE-FREAK' BUT NOT 'KITCHEN...'

------------------------------

Date: Fri 19 Dec 86 01:00:55-PST
From: Byron HAN <S.SPICYNOODLES@LEAR.STANFORD.EDU>
Subject: Patching Turbo Pascal

Instructions for patching Turbo Pascal 1.00A (release version as of 12/19/86)
--

This patch will allow one to more fully utilize the Turbo environment while
running under Switcher or Servant.  Currently, almost all operations are

There is one slight problem.  While executing the program in memory, DO NOT
attempt to switch out to another application.  Upon returning to the Turbo
environment, an address error (ID=02) will occur often necessitating reboot.
Under Servant, do not switch to another application either while executing
a program in memory.

Using a file editor such as FEdit, locate the first occurence of the hex
string $0282.  Replace this with $0A06.  *NOTE* do this on a copy of the
original disk.  DO NOT do this on the original.  You may irreprably damage it.

---------
Byron Han
POBox 5586
Stanford CA 94305-0109
(415) 494-0718
GENIE: BYRONHAN
CompuServe: 72167,1664
s.spicynoodles@lear.stanford.edu
han@star.stanford.edu

------------------------------

Date: Mon 15 Dec 86 17:25:36-PST
From: David Gelphman... <INFO-MAC-REQUEST@SUMEX-AIM.ARPA>
Subject: December Technotes

I've received the December Technotes from usenet and have posted
them. They are posted as   TECHNOTES-DEC86-TNx.HQX as follows:

TECHNOTES-DEC86-TN00.HQX   About Macintosh TechNotes
TECHNOTES-DEC86-TN21.HQX   Quickdraw's Internal Picture Format
TECHNOTES-DEC86-TN39.HQX   Segment Loader Patch
TECHNOTES-DEC86-TN91.HQX   Optimizing for the LaserWriter
TECHNOTES-DEC86-TN92.HQX   Appearance of Text
TECHNOTES-DEC86-TN93.HQX   MPW:{$LOAD};_DataInit;%_MethTables
TECHNOTES-DEC86-TN94.HQX   File Tags
TECHNOTES-DEC86-TN95.HQX   How to add items to the Print Dialog
TECHNOTES-DEC86-TN96.HQX   SCSI Bugs
TECHNOTES-DEC86-TN97.HQX   PrSETERR Problem
TECHNOTES-DEC86-TN98.HQX   Short-Circuit Booleans in Lisa Pascal
TECHNOTES-DEC86-TN99.HQX   Standard File Bug in System 3.2
TECHNOTES-DEC86-TN100.HQX  Compatibility with Large-Screen Displays
TECHNOTES-DEC86-INDEX.HQX  Index

David

------------------------------

Date: Sun 7 Dec 86 14:07:59-EST
From: TN07@TE.CC.CMU.EDU
Subject: Disk Fixer 0.2

Attached is a application that read disk sectors, both MFS and HFS, and
rebuilds disk directories and links resource forks and data forks. The
program was written by Frank Beatrous 10362@PITTVMS.BITNET.

[ archived as

[SUMEX-AIM.Stanford.EDU]<INFO-MAC>UTILITY-DISKFIXER-02.HQX

DAVEG
]

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 18 Dec 86 11:06:25 PST
From: DAVID GELPHMAN <mrh@shasta.stanford.edu>
Subject: FASTTERM.HQX
Subject: Fasterm Terminal Program - Release 3
Date: 18 Dec 86 07:14:47 GMT
Sender: macintosh@felix.UUCP

[Fasterm Terminal Program - Release 3]

The following is a binhex'ed PackIt file containing release 3 (the
first public release) of my Fasterm macintosh terminal program.  The
program is capable of operating at very high speeds (19200 baud) with
minimal handshaking.

Character plotting is very fast, scrolling I couldn't improve too
much...this makes the program idea for use with screen editors at 19200
baud.  The program is shareware and I am asking a registration fee of
$25, this may seem a bit steep for a program with minimal
features...but if I get enough registrations I will soon be adding more
things to the program.  The main reason I wanted to get this version
out now was to see if the high speed character plotting routines would
work on custom mac configurations, I have only been able to test them
on a regular Mac and Mac+.

Fasterm emulates a DEC VT52, it uses the keypad on a Mac+ for aux
keypad functions, if you have a regular Mac keyboard, menus and command
keys will take the place of the keypad.  The program is very un-fancy
right now...it does not handle update events to replot the screen.
Update events, option saving, dialog based configuration (for either
serial port) and a number of other things will be added in the next
release.  Let me know if you have any trouble with this program so I
can fix any bugs for the next version.

Greg Corson
19141 Summers Drive

South Bend, IN 46637
(219) 277-5306 (weekdays)
(219) 272-2136 (evenings and weekends)

[ archived as

[SUMEX-AIM.Stanford.EDU]<INFO-MAC>FASTTERM.HQX

DAVEG
]

------------------------------

From: munnari!psych44.su.oz!jasonh@seismo.CSS.GOV
Date: Fri, 19 Dec 86 12:39:20 EST
Subject: New Version of TypeWriter

Here is a new version of TypeWriter, a program which adds realistic
typewriter sounds to you mac. This version works with Mac+, System 3.2.

[ archived as

[SUMEX-AIM.Stanford.EDU]<INFO-MAC>TYPEWRITER.HQX

DAVEG
]

------------------------------

Date: 19 Dec 86 11:15:00 EST
From: <bouldin@ceee-sed.ARPA>
Subject: The Ryad 020/881/etc upgrades

Since I posted stuff on the Novy 020 board, it only seems fair to point
out that they may now have a serious competitor. And regarding the
$6000+ price for the Prodigy 4, does anyone want to tell me _again_
about all those "expensive chips"? Just breaks your heart, doesn't it?
__
From: RYAD
Subject: RE: Novy systems 68020 products
Date: 19-DEC 06:50 Network Digests

regarding your info on Novy systems 68020 products.  Pleased to let you
know of Ryad's line of coprocessor + RAM upgrade boards.

from bottom of line (Apple logic board substitute)    16 Mhz 68000 w/
512K add'l RAM(1MB Total) for $595 retail to 16 Mhz 68020 w/1MB add'l
(2MB total) for $1,995 - 68881 option $250

I've posted special developer's discount for delphi members on
developer's SIG

68000 boards shipping Dec 24th - 68020's shipping Jan 1st, 1987.  We'll
be at MacWorld SF, booth 400.  Wait till you see our benchmarks!  Not
just 40% of Levco Prodigy but within +/- 5%.  We'll have full 4MB
available Feb-Mar timeframe, with some very trick hardware features to
boot.

Any info requests to:

        John Byrne
	Ryad
	2521-F N. Grand Avenue, Suite 950
        Santa Ana, CA 92701                VOICE PHONE:  (714) 558-0662

See ad on page 165, January 1987 issue of MacUser!

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 18 Dec 86 14:50:56 EST
From: "Carl R. Daudt" <tyv@j.cc.purdue.edu>
Subject: My Experience with a Jasmine Hard Drive

I have had a Jasmine 20 MByte hard drive since early November, have had
some difficulties with it, but am (tentatively) a satisfied
customer.  The drive arrived about three weeks after promised shipping
date, was trivial to install, and booted with about 16MBytes
of public domain and shareware (mostly the latter) files.  NO BACKUP
APPLICATIONS come with the drive.  Apparently Jasmine originally shipped
a public domain backup program, but discovered it did not work with
their drive (it was either non-HFS, non-SCSI or something like that).
They do, however, offer "Flashback" backup for $25 to their hard drive
customers.

My difficulties began occurring about three weeks after purchasing the
drive.  The drive (and Mac) occasionally froze with the red
"in use" light on either while starting or quitting an application.
The freeze occurred with each of
my most-used applications and persisted at a rate of about two or
three times a day, even after reformatting the hard disk.  The bug
seemed to be independent of operating temperature, sometimes occurring
shortly after power up, and other times after extended use of the system.

The good news seems to be Jasmine's technical support.  Their service
people talked me through several diagnostic procedures via several long
distance phone calls, and upon determining that my drive did in fact
require servicing, instructed me to ship the drive back.  Since I had
a business trip in San Francisco last week where they are located,
I opted instead to bring the drive in person.  They discovered a
software bug in the driver for the drive, and replaced it with an
updated version.  **Jasmine hard drive owners, take note:  My drive's
serial number is in the 300's, and apparently came with bug-prone
software that has since been updated; you might wish to verify that
your software is an updated version.**

Jasmine's facilities consist of a a few small offices and one main
assembly room, where the Seagate drives are actually assembled with
power supplies, fans, etc. in the Jasmine boxes.  As of my visit on
December 9, they were producing and shipping about 30 drives a day.
Their goal was to be completely caught up with their orders by
Christmas, although they needed to increase their production to
about 50 drives per day in order to meet their goal.

So far, my drive has worked without any flaw since the software
replacement.  Assuming the drive continues to perform well, I am
pleased both with the drive and with Jasmine's courteous and helpful
support.  I close with some final comments:
  - The ventilation for the drive is somewhat limited.  Jasmine
    originally used plastic feet on the bottom of the drive that
    elevated it about 1/8 inch above the table.  Now they are
    using somewhat thicker feet.  It is important that the drive's
    (inadequate?) ventilation vents are not blocked.

  - One of the Jasmine technicians urged me not to use Servant on
    their drives (or any hard drives).  I am not sure what the
    problem is.

  - The drive's mail order cost:  $595 with credit card, $570 with check
    or money order.

  - Jasmine will be producing an 80 MByte drive beginning in January.
    I believe the cost will be $1400 or $1500.

--Carl Daudt (j.cc.purdue.edu)(No relation wi Jasmine other than customer)

------------------------------

Date: 19-Dec-1986 1521
From: shimono%tkov58.DEC@decwrl.DEC.COM  (Takao Shimono - Call me
From: Taxi)
Subject: Clone Wars?

   I called Sharp this afternoon (19-Dec).
   A Sharp woman said X68000 would be put on the market
    on 1-Feb-87 in Japan.
   I asked her if X68000 could run Macintosh software.
   She did not say "Yes" nor "No".

   Takao "Taxi" Shimono                            "DIG IT, ALice"
   /DEC-Japan/SoftwareServices/AIsystems/studio.h
   uucp:     {allegra,decvax,ucbvax}!decwrl!tkov58.dec.com!shimono
   arpa:     shimono%tkov58.DEC@decwrl.DEC.COM
   #include  <stdisclamer.h>

------------------------------

From: Joe Kagenski <jjk%linus@mitre-bedford.ARPA>
Date: 18 Dec 86 18:28:28 GMT
From: jjk@linus.UUCP (Joe Kagenski)
Subject: Microsoft Word 3.0 Update
Date: 18 Dec 86 18:28:26 GMT

Just a note:  If you haven't seen your update card for Version 3.0 yet,
give Microsoft Customer Support a call.  I talked with them yesterday
and it seems that they had stacks of update cards returned to them by
the P.O.

------------------------------

Date: Thu 18 Dec 86 21:28:26-PST
From: Brodie Lockard <I.ISIMO@LEAR.STANFORD.EDU>
Subject: Questions about TEMPO

Does anyone have any stories, good or bad, to tell about Tempo?  It seems
like it might be a very useful utility, but the reviews I've seen (MacUser
and a users' group newsletter) warn of incompatibilities with various
configurations of stuff.  Does it work with enough things to make it worthwhile
buying?  Does it have any dirty habits (MacTracks used to keep generating
files here and there for no apparent reason)?  Can it be turned off effectively
without excising it from the System Folder?  From within an application?
Thanks for any info.

Brodie Lockard

------------------------------

Date: 18 Dec 86 11:47:21 EST
From: Jeffrey Shulman <SHULMAN@RED.RUTGERS.EDU>
Subject: Usenet Mac Digest V2 #104

Usenet Mac Digest        Thursday, 18 December 1986    Volume 2 : Issue 104

Today's Topics:
     Software Rental Companies
     Help! MockWrite won't load files >28K
     Use of nil
     Re: Mac Hardware Crashes
     Re: AWK on the MAC wanted
     Re: bug in mpw shell
     Where's the BMUG?
     Dasch RamDisk By Western Automation
     Some End-of-year Thank-Yous for the Mac community
     Re: Should 64K ROMs be supported?
     Burnt Mac+
     Compare Turbo and Lightspeed Pascals?
     request for UNIX Sys V to LaserWriter s/w
     Bridge/Word games for the Mac
     Re: Burnt Mac+
     Re: 512K Mac/800K Drive (really fla
     Jasmine Hard Disk Info?
     Re: Info needed on MACINTOSH+ and music software
     Re: Burnt Mac+
     Kinetics/ KTALK questions
     Re: 512K Mac/800K Drive
     New Mac Rumors in MacTutor
     Print Manager Info

[ archived as

[SUMEX-AIM.Stanford.EDU]<INFO-MAC>USENETV2-104.ARC

DAVEG
]

------------------------------

Date: Fri 19 Dec 86 15:37:45-PST
From: David Gelphman... <INFO-MAC-REQUEST@SUMEX-AIM.STANFORD.EDU>
Subject: DELPHIV2-67.ARC

Delphi Mac Digest        Friday, 19 December 1986      Volume 2 : Issue 67

Today's Topics:
     RE: File Problem
     RE: Micah Hard Disks
     PC MacKey keyboard
     Bizarre SuperBackup bug
     MW Expo/SF Hotel Info
     RE: HyperDrives and floppy drive failure
     RagTime
     SuperPaint... (2 messages)
     Mac discharges (2 messages)
     Ridding oneself of resources (2 messages)
     Microsoft Basic and Fortran
     RE: Folder sizes?
     RE: APL for the Mac (2 messages)
     RE: Diskette Quality
     mac clone? (3 messages)
     RE: FOND question
     freezing mac+ (3 messages)
     miniWRITER and fresh LaserWriter
     RE: MockWrite won't load files >28K
     VAX<->InterBridge<->AppleTalk
     pascal fns in LightspeedC (2 messages)
     Re: MPW question
     RE: Novy systems 68020 products

[ archived as

[SUMEX-AIM.Stanford.EDU]<INFO-MAC>DELPHIV2-67.ARC

DAVEG
]

End of INFO-MAC Digest