[net.sf-lovers] Hilbert Schenck

boyajian%akov68.DEC@decwrl.ARPA (06/08/85)

From: boyajian%akov68.DEC@decwrl.ARPA

> From: "pugh jon%e.mfenet"@LLL-MFE.ARPA	(Jon Pugh)

> I just re-read a great story and wondered if anyone knew of anything
> else by the author.  The story is "The Morphology of the Kirkham
> Wreak" by Hilbert Schenck.  It appears in The Best SF of the year
> #8, edited by Terry Carr, and the credits list it from Fantasy and
> Science Fiction, Sept. 1978.

> Does anyone know where I can find more by Mr. Schenck, and is it up
> to snuff?

Glad to see another Schenck (pronounced "skenk", btw, rather than
"shenk") fan. My first Schenck story was "Battle of the Abaco Reefs",
which was nominated for a Hugo Award, and I've enjoyed his work
since. Some of his stuff is fair to middlin', some of it *very*
good. The two novels are a bit weaker than his short fiction, but
still worth reading. Following is a bibliography, first appearances
only. I don't have enough time to wade through my "best of" or other
anthologies to look for reprints.

"Three Days at the End of the World"	F&SF (Sep 77)	*
"The Morphology of the Kirkham Wreck"	F&SF (Sep 78)	*
"The Battle of the Abaco Reefs"		F&SF (Jun 79)	*
"Wave Rider"				CHRYSALIS 5	*
					(ed. Roy Torgeson)
"Bouyant Ascent"			F&SF (Mar 80)	*
"The Theology of Water"			PERPETUAL LIGHT
					(ed. Alan Ryan)
"Hurricane Claude"			F&SF (Apr 83)
"The Geometry of Narrative"	      ANALOG (Aug 83)
"Steam Bird"		(serial)	F&SF (Apr-May 84)
"Silicon Muse"				F&SF (Sep 84)
"Send Me a Kiss by Wire"		F&SF (Apr 85)

WAVE RIDER (Timescape, 1980) collection (includes stories
	above marked "*")
AT THE EYE OF THE OCEAN (Timescape, 1981) novel
A ROSE FOR ARMAGEDDON (Timescape, 1982) novel
	condensed in  SCIENCE FICTION DIGEST (Sep/Oct 82)

--- jayembee (Jerry Boyajian, DEC, Maynard, MA)

UUCP:	{decvax|ihnp4|allegra|ucbvax|...}
	!decwrl!dec-rhea!dec-akov68!boyajian
ARPA:	boyajian%akov68.DEC@DECWRL.ARPA
   soon to be: