Date: Thu, 25 Dec 86 17:06:57 est
From: stew%lhasa@hucsc.HARVARD.EDU
Subject: C compiler upgrades arrive!

At long last, I have received both Lightspeed C 2.01 and Megamax C 3.0
practically on the same day.  I plan to benchmark them and report the
results (not that I would ever use MegaMax again, given their track
record).  A benchmark against MPW 1.0 would also be valuable.
Some have suggested that development be done in Lightspeed and
final production be done in MPW.  I'd like to know if the improvements
to be gained are worth the hassle (the three all have different notions
of word lengths) and expense.

I can't understand why Think didn't supply prototypes for the Toolbox.
If we can get a few folks together, I'd like to collaborate on writing
them.  I'll coordinate handing out managers to different people.
If you are willing to help, send me a message.

stew@lhasa.harvard.edu
seismo!harvard!lhasa!stew

------------------------------

Date: Wed 24 Dec 86 20:54:56-AST
From: Peter Gergely <GERGELY@DREA-XX.ARPA>
Subject: Problems with TECHNOTES-DEC86-TN110.HQX.2

Just picked this up from the archives, and it will not UNHEX without
giving a CRC($3275) error.  The usual attempts at stripping headers,
etc., have been made with no success.  At your leisure, could you please
arrange a copy for transfer that will work.

	- Peter

P.S. Happy Holidays to you and yours.

[ note from moderator: TN110 suffered from the binhex problem I mentioned
in a recent digest. It could not be unhexed by binhex 4.0 because of a
bug in 4.0. I have placed a new version in the archives which has been
run though unpit first to packit it. One other point about TN110. I wonder
about its veracity for two reasons: it did not come in the written technotes
for no good reason and 2) it has some information which seems to be of
a questionable nature (Mac Jr. with a 68008? ).  DAVEG ]

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 10 Dec 86 05:00:10 EST
From: Martin Resnick <mlr0%gte-labs.csnet@RELAY.CS.NET>
Subject: Jazz 1A Demo, 10 files total

These files are the Jazz 1A Demo distribution.

The first file contains MacWrite documentation for the Jazz 1A demo,
some sample Jazz 1A files and the Jazz 1A System Update application.

The second file contains the demo application.

[ archived as

[SUMEX-AIM.Stanford.EDU]<INFO-MAC>DEMO-JAZZ1A-DOCS-PART1.HQX
[SUMEX-AIM.Stanford.EDU]<INFO-MAC>DEMO-JAZZ1A-DOCS-PART2.HQX

concatentate the above two parts together before unbinhexing.

[SUMEX-AIM.Stanford.EDU]<INFO-MAC>DEMO-JAZZ1A-PART1.HQX
[SUMEX-AIM.Stanford.EDU]<INFO-MAC>DEMO-JAZZ1A-PART2.HQX
[SUMEX-AIM.Stanford.EDU]<INFO-MAC>DEMO-JAZZ1A-PART3.HQX
[SUMEX-AIM.Stanford.EDU]<INFO-MAC>DEMO-JAZZ1A-PART4.HQX
[SUMEX-AIM.Stanford.EDU]<INFO-MAC>DEMO-JAZZ1A-PART5.HQX
[SUMEX-AIM.Stanford.EDU]<INFO-MAC>DEMO-JAZZ1A-PART6.HQX
[SUMEX-AIM.Stanford.EDU]<INFO-MAC>DEMO-JAZZ1A-PART7.HQX
[SUMEX-AIM.Stanford.EDU]<INFO-MAC>DEMO-JAZZ1A-PART8.HQX

concatentate the above 8 parts together before unbinhexing.

DAVEG
]

------------------------------

Date: 25 Dec 86 11:13:18 EST
From: Jeffrey Shulman <SHULMAN@RED.RUTGERS.EDU>
Subject: ConCode 1.5

[ Uploaded from Delphi by Jeff Shulman ]

Name: CONCODE 1.5
Date: 22-DEC-1986 22:21 by JOHNSTOKES

File 1 is ConCode Version 1.5, a desk accessory.  This desk accessory is a
M68000 reference for looking up instruction address modes, operand lengths,
conditional truth settings, and how operands are changed when executing a given
instruction.  Shareware.  DA size: 7004 bytes.  File 2 is a text log file of
revisions for the ConCode desk accessory.  John S. Stokes III, author.

[ archived as

[SUMEX-AIM.Stanford.EDU]<INFO-MAC>DA-CONCODE-15.HQX

DAVEG
]

------------------------------

Date: 25 Dec 86 11:13:48 EST
From: Jeffrey Shulman <SHULMAN@RED.RUTGERS.EDU>
Subject: QDial 1.6

[ Uploaded from Delphi by Jeff Shulman ]

Name: QDIAL 1.6
Date: 25-DEC-1986 10:05 by LAPORTE

[ Updated 24-DEC-1986 01:22 by LAPORTE to version 1.6. v1.6 fixes a bug that
caused QDial to hang with Mac Plus and certain modems.  1.6 now works with Qubie
and other semi-Hayes-compatible modems.  Cut, Copy, and Paste also work now.
Revised docs are posted as QDial Docs. Source files unchanged. ]

MacQueue dialer (or QDial for short) is a desk accesory that installs a small
auto-dialing routine into the system RAM of the Macintosh computer.  The dialing
routine works in the background, dialing up to five numbers at a time, until one
of them answers.  QDial requires a Hayes or 100% Hayes compatible modem.

[ archived as

[SUMEX-AIM.Stanford.EDU]<INFO-MAC>DA-QUICKDIAL-16.HQX

DAVEG
]

------------------------------

Date: 26 Dec 86 22:19:27 EST
From: Jeffrey Shulman <SHULMAN@RED.RUTGERS.EDU>
Subject: Acta Format

[ Uploaded from Delphi by Jeff Shulman ]

Name: ACTAFORMAT
Date: 14-JUN-1986 17:51 by DDUNHAM

File format of Acta documents (Acta is the desk accessory outline processor
written by DDUNHAM and available from Symmetry Corp.).  MacWrite
doc.

[ archived as

[SUMEX-AIM.Stanford.EDU]<INFO-MAC>ACTA-FORMAT.HQX

DAVEG
]

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 27 Dec 86 00:15:34 pst
From: oster%lapis.Berkeley.EDU@BERKELEY.EDU (David Phillip Oster)
Subject: GridPic, a utility for working with compact screen files

This distribution is in 5 parts:
1.) This header
2.) GridPic.Doc - documentation for GridPic
3.) GridPic.Hqx - the hqx file of the program itself
4.) GridPic.c   - the source code for GridPic, for LightSpeed C, version 2.01
5.) GridPic.R   - the script for RMaker for the resources of GridPic
--- David Phillip Oster		-- "The goal of Computer Science is to
Arpa: oster@lapis.berkeley.edu  -- build something that will last at
Uucp: ucbvax!ucblapis!oster     -- least until we've finished building it."

[ note from moderator: since all 5 parts were sent in one file I have posted
it in that manner. Users are advised that they need to separate the file into
the distinct parts (clearly marked) before using this file.

archived as

[SUMEX-AIM.Stanford.EDU]<INFO-MAC>UTILITY-GRIDPIC.HQX

DAVEG
]

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 27 Dec 86 00:22:20 pst
From: oster%lapis.Berkeley.EDU@BERKELEY.EDU (David Phillip Oster)
Subject: Stars 1.6

Enclosed is my new Stars 1.6. Stars is a "screen-hack" desk accessory,
a desk accessory you can run while your Mac is otherwise idle. It has
two purposes:

1.) It keeps the screen mostly black, so no fixed pattern gets burned
into the phosphor of your Mac's CRT screen.

2.) Its pretty and fun to watch. (Particularly late at night, in a dark
room, when you are tired or stoned.)

Stars does not come up automatically. Stars uses more than 90% of your
68000 processor, so if it came up automatically it would get in the way
of downloads, or long computations. If you want Stars you must select it
from the desk accessory menu.

Stars comes in slow and goes away fast. It starts up with the fastest
digital dissolve anyone has yet done on the Mac, and (if it can get the
buffer memory) stops instantaneously. If it can't allocate enough buffer
memory, then when it stops it asks the Window Manager to redraw the screen.
I made Stars go away fast because when you want to start working again, you
don't want to wait.

This version of Stars accepts the following commands:

1.) Type a letter of the alphabet to warp into a new galaxy. Galaxies diifer
in their star density.

2.) Type a digit to change your speed. 5-9 are forward speeds, 5 is slowest
and 9 is fastest. 0-4 are backwards speeds. 4 is slowest, 0 is fastest.
Changing your speed does not warp you into a new galaxy.

The backward speeds reveal that the reason you are travelling through space
is to escape a rotating black hole that is sucking everything into its
bottomless maw. But even with this as their fate, the stars are happy,
and say hello to you as you go by.

Stars is compatible with Menu Clock, the new ROMs, the old ROMs, and the MacXL.

Thanks to Matt Grayson for many valuable suggestions and code.

[ archived as

[SUMEX-AIM.Stanford.EDU]<INFO-MAC>DA-STARS-16.HQX

DAVEG
]

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 28 Dec 86 04:54:11 EST
From: Martin Resnick <mlr0%gte-labs.csnet@RELAY.CS.NET>
Subject: Crystal Raider

This is a very addicting shareware game from England.

[ archived as

[SUMEX-AIM.Stanford.EDU]<INFO-MAC>GAME-CRYSTAL-RAIDER.HQX

DAVEG
]

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 26 Dec 86 16:30 N
From: <FRUIN%HLERUL5.BITNET@WISCVM.WISC.EDU> (Thomas Fruin)
Subject: Dynamac - a Macintosh compatible laptop

The British computer monthly Personal Computer World featured an article on
the Dynamac, the first Mac compatible to actually come out (the MacColby and
and Sharp machines aren't ready yet).

Dynamac is an impressive machine, the article says.  It sports the full
4 Mb of RAM, one 800K floppy drive, 40 Mb hard disk, 2400 bps modem, and
an electroluminescent display.  And all of that in one laptop, although a
larger than usual one.  Unfortunately it is not batterly powered: you need
a normal power outlet for it.  This is due to the large amout of power the
screen needs.

The screen has a resolution of 640 x 400 pixels, and has the same stuff
built in to drive one of those E-machine big screens.  In fact, is has a
connector at the back to plug in one of those screens - no extra hardware
required!  The screen is amber and pretty good, but it lacks the great
contrast of the Mac's screen.

The company that makes Dynamac (sorry, forgot to bring the magazine to my
Xmas holiday address, so I can't tell who) uses a genuine Mac Plus to
build one of these things.  They use the complete motherboard of a Plus and
build their black laptop machine around it.  That probably explains the
steep price: approximately 6500 British pounds!  They are working out an
agreement with Apple to get Mac Plus's cheaper.

Feel free to ask me any questions.  There's lots more in the article, so
I should be able to answer most of them.

-- Thomas

   FRUIN@HLERUL5.BITNET
   (Leiden, Netherlands)

------------------------------

Subject: The mac's "minor repairs" to a disk erased files. Help?!
Date: Wed, 24 Dec 86 14:27:44 PST
From: korfhage@ats.UCLA.EDU

   I am using a Mac+ and 800K disks (Sony disks, no less).

   Recently I tried to copy a downloaded file from one disk into one of
three folders on another disk. When I put in the disk to copy to, I got
a box saying that the disk needed minor repairs, and would I allow the
Mac to do those? Of course, I knew that this would be foolish. I ejected
and reinserted the disk a couple times, getting the same message each time.
Finally I decided to let the mac go ahead, do the repairs and finish the
coyp, because even if I did loose files, they were all relatively
inconsequential.

   The result was interesting. Of the three folders on the disk, two
disappeared. The folder that remained was the one I copied the file to.
However, the amount in disk is still the proper amount if all the folders
still existed.

   Do the folders exist, but they are invisible? If so, how do I make them
visible?
   Or have the folders been deleted? If so, can I get them back by playing
with bits on the disk? I am not familiar with the Mac's directory structure.

   Thanks for any help you can give me.

   Willard Korfhage

   ARPA : korfhage@ucla-ats.arpa
   UUCP : {ucbvax,ihnp4,randvax,trwrb!trwspp,ism780}!ucla-cs!korfhage

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 27 Dec 86 19:47:22 PST
From: Ralph_Brayham%UBC.MAILNET@MIT-MULTICS.ARPA
Subject: Problem with HD-20 and resources

I have a problem that I hope someone will: 1) believe  2)help with.
Using an 'old' 512 with an HD-20, finder 5.3, sys 3.0 etc. While running
LSP I can not access resources using the check box in the run options
dialog box.  I can access these same resources if I unhook the HD-20
and run off floppies (400K) or if I use the HD-20 at work with a Mac+.
The other bizarre thing is ResEdit (1.0D11 and 1.0D5) will not show
any resources of any file that is not on the desktop if resEdit is
in a folder.  To see the resources you must have the file you want
to look at and ResEdit on the desktop.  If you do not. ResEdit will show
a blank screen for that file as if it had no resources.  When you quit
back to the finder, there is a new file on the desktop that is about 500
bytes,  it contains absolutely nothing.  Should I look for a good service
contract or a good whitch docter??
Thanx in advance.

[ note from moderator: The first thing to do is make sure you are using
System 3.2 Finder 5.3 NOT System 3.0. The second thing to do is make sure
you are using the HD20 file with a creation date around June 1986. If
you are using system software older than these, then you probably will
run into problems. The HD20 file is very important to keep up to date since
the early RAM based HFS versions were buggy.  DAVEG ]

------------------------------

Subject: Epson printer driver for Atari ST emulating Mac
Date: Fri, 26 Dec 86 07:59:59 -0500
From: zim@mitre.ARPA

Could anybody give me a pointer to a printer driver which would allow a
Mac to print with some standard Epson type printer?  (Would printing in
draft mode with an ImageWriter driver work for plain text files?)

A friend has an Atari ST and a cartridge that he showed me the other day;
it allows him to run some amount of Mac software (disks have to be in an
Atari format, so programs are usually transferred via modem).  The
emulation was buggy (presumably old ROMs) and crashed a lot when trying to
do simple things like copy/paste from Scrapbook, etc., but it is nonetheless
interesting to see.  If anybody knows more about this (including legal
status of the affair; the cartridge had Apple Mac ROMS inside), I'd appreciate
hearing from you.  Tnx -

------------------------------

Date: 25 Dec 86 09:51:52 EST
From: Jeffrey Shulman <SHULMAN@RED.RUTGERS.EDU>
Subject: Usenet Mac Digest V2 #105

Usenet Mac Digest        Thursday, 25 December 1986    Volume 2 : Issue 105

Today's Topics:
     Problems with RAM serial driver
     Disk Initializing Help Needed
     Clone Wars?
     Re: Help with bombing PageMaker
     MIDI Programming Advice Wanted.
     TopsPrint
     Re: Should 64K ROMs be supported?
     Fontographer Copy Protection Warning
     repeated Dataframe 20 controller failures
     How to handle scrolling selections
     Re: Fontographer Copy Protection Warning
     Methods for drawing characters??
     !#$% Hard drive.   *&%$  Packit III
     Activision Copy Protection - "Shanghai"
     Laserwriter spoolers
     Opcode's protection (was: Activision Copy Protection - "Shanghai")
     Re: Activision Copy Protection - "Shanghai"
     Invisible folders
     Help with changing fonts in Macwrite!
     Sample FKEY info desired
     Icon Review
     Re: Invisible folders - use ResEdit
     scsi drive discussion on delphi; Warp-9 photon 20
     Re: Delphi Mac Digest V2 #67
     Delphi Diegsts (PSU problems)

[ archived as

[SUMEX-AIM.Stanford.EDU]<INFO-MAC>USENETV2-105.ARC

DAVEG
]

End of INFO-MAC Digest