Date: Wed, 31 Dec 86 11:35:25 PST
From: <DAVEG@slacvm.bitnet>
Subject: Gathering at MacWorld

  Joel West, on one of the usenet Mac newsgroups, suggested  that
some of us netters get together at MacWorld for a Chinese dinner on
Friday night at 7pm. I'm trying to get a head count so I can make
the appropriate reservations. Contact me via Email if you are interested
and if I don't somehow manage a reply (some of the paths are hard to get!)
plan on meeting about 6pm in the downstairs corridor just before the exhibits.
RSVP to the address below and NOT TO INFO-MAC!!!!!
   I look forward to meeting some of you!
David Gelphman                  BITNET address: DAVEG@SLACVM
Bin #88 SLAC                    ARPANET address:  DAVEG@SLACVM.BITNET
Stanford, Calif. 94305          UUCP address: ...psuvax1!daveg%slacvm.bitnet
415-854-3300 x2538
usual disclaimer #432 applies: my employer apologies for the fact
that I have access to this net.

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 29 Dec 86 10:47:24 CST
From: Paul DuBois <dubois@unix.macc.wisc.edu>
Subject: LightspeedC 2.01 and TransSkel

To make TransSkel compile under LightspeedC 2.01, remove the definitions
that were put in to make window zooming work, i.e., the trap number
# defines and the inZoomIn/Out enumeration.  These can be taken out because
the compiler now knows the trap numbers and the part codes are included
in the proper enumeration in WindowMgr.h.

The enumeration should be removed from EventLog.c (TransDisplay demo),
also.

With these changes, all the Trans* stuff seems to work as usual.
---
Paul DuBois     UUCP: {allegra,ihnp4,seismo}!uwvax!uwmacc!dubois    |
                ARPA: dubois@easter                               --+--
                      dubois@rhesus                                 |

"What is lacking cannot be counted." - Solomon the cladist
                                       (Ecclesiastes 1:15)

------------------------------

Date: 29 Dec 86 15:47:00 EST
From: "NRL2::MENTON" <menton%nrl2.decnet@nrl>
Subject: Plotting via Fortran

	Now that we have *TWO* FORTRAN 77 compilers for our 16 bit Atari STs,
I'm looking for fairly simple (something less than the DISSPLA package, for
example) FORTRAN plotting routines.  I'd like to do simple X-Y plots with
labels (several curves on one graph), semi-log plots and polar plots.  Output
device is an Epson dot matrix printer and/or the monitor.  I'd appreciate
hearing from anyone knowing of FORTRAN subroutines that can handle these jobs.
Please contact me directly, as I do not receive mail from this net.  Many
thanks.
					Bob Menton
					ARPAnet:  MENTON@NRL-ACOUSTICS
					Ma Bell (??) (202) 767-2367
					Snail: NRL, Code 5132, Wash., DC 20375

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 29 Dec 86 13:26 EST
From: Paul Christensen <PCHRISTENSEN%rca.com@RELAY.CS.NET>
Subject: Lightspeed Pascal vs. TML

Well, Christmas was good to me.  I finally got my copy of Lightspeed Pascal.

Unfortunately, after being VERY impressed with Lightspeed's compilation
speed and debugging environment (ala MacPascal), I found a couple of
complaints, and wondered if anyone on the net had workarounds ...

Lightspeed Pascal does not seem to generate compact code.  The SAME code
(a relatively short program) compiled under both TML and Lightspeed
produces a 6K executable (TML) and a 12K exec (Lightspeed).  The Lightspeed
manual *claims* that it has an intelligent linker, but come on, this is
the same performance I was getting from TML version 1.0 (before they stopped
using a modified Apple MDS Linker).  Am I doing something wrong?  The
program does *not* use any special MacPascal windows (ie. Text or Drawing)
since they aren't available under TML.  The Lightspeed manual alludes to
SmallPasLib, which is the same as PasLib, without the MacPascal extensions.
If I included this in my project file would it make a difference?

Equivalent code in Lightspeed and TML (again)... TML seems to run about
10% faster.  Again, is it something I've passed over in the documentation
(perhaps a project option)?

Lightspeed seems less compatible with LisaPascal than TML was.  Or are
there shortcuts for changing the LisaPascal directives?

Thanks for any advice,

Paul Christensen

CSNET:  PCHRISTENSEN@RCA.COM

------------------------------

Date: Tue 30 Dec 86 12:41:42-PST
From: David Liu <DLIU@Sierra.Stanford.EDU>
Subject: printing graph on IW-1 w/o break

How do I print graph (long graph) on IW-II without page break?  Whatever
works on MSBasic, ZBasic, LSPascal, etc.  will do.

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 29 Dec 86 12:44:38 pst
From: Herb Barad <barad%brand@usc-oberon.ARPA>
Subject: Protocol

  This is a program I wrote called Protocol.  It
is a revised version of the Flow program provided with MacApp.
Protocol fixes many of the bugs that I found in Flow.  Also, the
purpose is different.  Protocol will create a graphical display of a
class hierarchy (compaticle with MacDraw). Very useful for people
developing object-oriented s/w (i.e. during the documentation phase).

Herb Barad	[USC - Signal and Image Processing Institute]

USENET:		...!sdcrdcf!usc-oberon!brand!barad			or
		...!mcvax!seismo!sdcsvax!sdcrdcf!usc-oberon!brand!barad
ARPANET:	barad@brand.usc.edu
USMail:		Univ. of Southern California
		Powell Hall 306, MC-0272
		Los Angeles, CA 90089-0272
		phone: (213) 743-0911

[ archived as

[SUMEX-AIM.Stanford.EDU]<INFO-MAC>PROTOCOL.HQX

DAVEG
]

------------------------------

Date: 30 Dec 86 21:41:00 EST
From: <bouldin@ceee-sed.ARPA>
Subject: more on Textures

On Christmas eve I got TeXtures version 0.95c in the mail. Nice present. Here
are some comments.
Typesetting speed is unchanged as best I can tell. Still about 10
sec/page for pretty heavily mathematical stuff. This is with a Mac+ and
MacBottom SCSI HD.
Preview is a little faster. Especially if you use "next page" and "prev.
page" to toggle back and forth a couple of times. Flipping pages seems
to be about 1.5 seconds for the screen updates. Wow. Caveat: I am using
Turbocharger, so this may be part of the speed up.
Many, many new fonts. I use Textures mainly for screen preview and then
upload the .tex files to a vax for hardcopy output. In this mode of
operation, I think (but am not sure) that most of the new fonts are
superfluous. About 2.8 MEGS of fonts now. The nicest addition is the
"texfonts at 120%". In the plain format you can now (just!) fit the full
horizontal lines across the Mac screen for preview. This is a
significant gain in readability since the fonts are no longer
interpolated by the font manager when you use the "120%" magnification.
Also, the presence of 120% fonts makes for noticeably faster screen
updates.

Gripes: Only minor ones.
consistent with how the preview is actually used.
Still no separate .dvi files, although they say it's coming.
I still don't like the flicker effect that happens when you use the
magnifying glass.

Suggestions:
As I said, change the way "next page" works.
Variable size magnifying glass.
Save default, especially to save window siz and position. You can just
fit the FULL horizontal lines on the Mac screen at "120%" magnification
but it takes some careful adjustment of the output window. Sure would be
nice to be able to save that setup to avoid doing it every time.
How do we add formats??

BTW, there is a screen dump in the documentation that shows LaTeX and
AMS TeX installed as formats. Anyone out there have these working???

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 30 Dec 86 16:05:41 EST
From: "Thomas D. Schardt"
Subject: Writing scientific papers on the Mac

Does anyone have recommendations for someone who wants to write
scientific papers on the Mac in the "what-you-see-is-what-you-get"
fashion?  A paper might include text, formulae, tables, footnotes
(both at the bottom of a page or at the end of the paper), bibliography,
and/or possibly graphics (PICT format must likely).  The paper might
be printed on the ImageWriter I, II or the LaserWriter/+.

Is there an intergrated package for this?  If not, what pieces seem
to work well together?

Tom Schardt
BITNET:   K3TDS@SCFVM
ARPANET:  K3TDS%SCFVM.BITNET@WISCVM.WISC.EDU

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 30 Dec 86 11:35:03 EST
From: Thomas Coradeschi (FSA-E) <tcora@ARDEC.ARPA>
Subject: Addendum to weird disk problem

  I've received a couple of replies to my inquiry about a disk with a full dir-
ectory, but 140k of free space. So, to clarify, the disk only has 87 files on
it, so i don't believe the problem revolves around reaching the limit of 128
files. Also, i dragged all the file icons to another disk, and the directory is
not full on that one! Same data on both disks, just that one has a full direc-
tory and the other doesn't.
  Is it possible that the directory remembers all the files including those
which have been deleted? The disk has been in use since January 86, so i'm sure
the combination of deleted and current files adds up to 128. Does anyone know
about this? Can i clean up the directory? I've got fedit, mactools, etc, but
really don't quite know how to go about this.
  Thanks for your help, both past and future,

tom c

------------------------------

From: "Steve Munson" <sbm@purdue.edu>
Subject: Re: Folder sizes
Date: Wed, 31 Dec 86 12:45:14 EST

     Thank you for the clarification on how to see folder sizes.  To be
more accurate, though, you need to open a folder and its entire
hierarchy of subfolders in order to see the total size of files
contained in the folder.  This ranges from inconvenient to impossible,
depending on how many folders are in the folder, since all the windows
have to be open at the time you look at the folder size.  As soon as a
window closes, its contents are removed from the total folder size.

     This is ridiculous.  I can't even do something as simple as finding
the size of the largest folder on a hard disk.  I think it's time for a
computer scientist to design a Finder for the Macintosh.

					Steve Munson
					sbm@Purdue.EDU
					sbm@Purdue.CSNET

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 29 Dec 86 13:05:54 PST
From: DAVEG@slacvm.bitnet
Subject: Problems with MacFlow by Mainstay

   We recently purchased MacFlow here at work and almost immediately
found a serious problem with the program. You cannot move graphics
to the clipboard for pasting in other programs (or desk accessories).
You can use the clipboard for copying, cutting and pasting graphics within
the program itself. This SEVERELY limits the utility of this program if
you can't move graphics into MacDraw or MacDraft (no export facility is
provided either) since you have no way of enhancing the graphics beyond what
the MacFlow program provides. To me, this violates one of best properties
of the Mac, the passing of data between programs.
   I called Mainstay immediately to complain about this. The first tech support
person wasn't familiar with the program. The second support person supposedly
was familiar with the program and didn't seem to believe me when I told him
about this, EVEN AFTER I POINTED TO THE PAGE IN THE DOCUMENTATION WHICH SAYS
SO. I was told they would have to contact the author to find out what the
story is and I would be called back. After 1 week I have received no call, but
the holidays may have interfered. If I get more info about this I will post
it.

Date: Mon, 29 Dec 86 13:36 EST
From: Paul Christensen <PCHRISTENSEN%rca.com@RELAY.CS.NET>
Subject: Copy II Mac version 6.2

Well, I'd heard so much about the new version of Copy II Mac, that I was
all ready to run out to my dealer and purchase it (at the cost of a direct
upgrade from Central Point, I was better off just buying the new version).

Unfortunately, my dealer had a licensed copy on his hard disk, and I had
a chance to play around with it.  Yes, Copy II Hard Disk has changed very
little.  MacTools finally works with HFS (but they removed the menu options
for INVISIBLE, PROTECTED, LOCKED... so you have to click each box on or off).
But, unfortunately Copy II Mac seemed so buggy it wasn't worth buying.
Currently, I'm using version 5.4, which works with 400k/800k drives very
reliably.  When I sector copy a disk with protected tracks, it places
"R" flags in the copy status blocks, so I can go back afterwards and simply
bit copy ONLY the bad tracks.  Version 6.2 (copying the same protected disk)
failed to report ANY read errors on sector copy, and thus produced a
non-working backup.  I could hear the disk drive running into read problems
on the same tracks that version 5.4 had flagged, but NO MESSAGES WERE
DISPLAYED.

My dealer told me that he still uses version 5.4.  Version 6.0 was so
buggy it didn't even backup non-protected disks reliably.  And version 6.1
and 6.2 fail to report read errors.

Is there a newer version of Copy II that corrects these problems, or
has Central Point Software "lost their touch"?

Paul Christensen

CSNET:  PCHRISTENSEN@RCA.COM

------------------------------

Date: Tue 30 Dec 1986 09:02 CST
From: Samir Kaleem  <XSAK%ECNCDC.BITNET@WISCVM.WISC.EDU>
Subject: About printers and such

A friend of mine is interested in buying a mac, and he had a few questions
for me, a couple that I wasn't sure about. Maybe someone in netland can help.

1) He wants to buy a Smith Corona (SE something) typewriter that has an RS232
interface so it can be hooked up to a computer. He wanted to know if the Mac
would be able to hook up to it. As far as I know, it should be no problem. He'd
have to print in draft mode (in which case only ascii characters would be sent
which should be recognizable by the typewriter) ofcourse. Now, would the
imagewriter driver be able to handle that or would some other driver have to
be used? Even more important, would the mac be able to drive the typewriter at
all?

2) My friend also has a ProPrinter (or such) that he used with his Apple ][+.
The printer has a parallel interface. He wanted to know where he could get
a parallel to serial converter for that printer so it could be used with the
mac also. Again, would he need some special driver for this printer?

I'd appreciate any information that someone could provide. I'll pass the info
on to my friend. Help folks...we might have yet another mac convert here...

Oh a little bit of info that I might as well pass on. I found that RamStart 1.22
doesn't auto eject after installing a ram disk on an HFS disk. I changed the
disk to an MFS disk (still using Finder 5.3 and Sys 3.2), and everything works
fine now. Now it even shows my startup screen which I had in another folder so
it wouldn't be put in the ram disk. Any comments here?

A happy New year all...

Samir Kaleem

Bitnet: <xsak@ecncdc>
Arpa:   <xsak%ecncdc.bitnet@wiscvm.wisc.edu>

[ note from moderator: Ramstart 1.23 is the first HFS compatibile version of
the Ramstart program. DAVEG ]

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 30 Dec 86  23:06:14 EST
From: LSI%UMass.BITNET@WISCVM.WISC.EDU  (Peter Lawall, Logical
Subject: Need Help formatting SCSI hard disk

Help!
   I recently purchased a Shugart 1610-4 SCSI controller card and a
Seagate ST225 drive to use with my Mac.  I wrote a "C" program that
formats the drive and installs the driver descriptor map, device
partition map, and the SCSI driver proper (the Apple one).  This
all works fine, but naive old me thought that that was all I'd have
to do...  Sure enough, it was not.  I suppose that something more in
the way of initialization is necessary, but I'm not too sure about
how to go about it.  Any help, suggestions, pointers to information,
etc. would be greatly appreciated, especially if it can be accomplished
in "C" rather than assembler.
   Alternately, are there any commercial software packages out there
to accomplish this task?  Ephraim Vishniac's SF&I looks like it could
do the trick, but ends in the rather uninformative message "disk
initialization failed"...  Whatever that means.  Also I'd heard
that "Fractal Software" was working on a similar package, but I've
never seen an address or phone number for them...  Alas....
   Thanks in advance,
                             Peter Lawall

------------------------------

Date: Tue 30 Dec 86 00:01:34-PST
From: David Gelphman... <INFO-MAC-REQUEST@SUMEX-AIM.STANFORD.EDU>
Subject: Old Club Mac News and Mac Rumors

    For fun I looked through a bunch of old Club Mac newsletters I had
saved. I remember that I really used to look forward to their arrival, they
seemed to be loaded with stuff I didn't see elsewhere. Looking back sure
made them look thin and stale. I did notice that the issues which were more
than 1 1/2 years old had few ads by companies which are still in
business.
    One more thing which I think is of current interest...with the MacWorld
just 8 days or so away and rumors still flying about what the next machine(s)
will be I thought it was interesting what the rumors were in Nov. 1985 when
the Mac+ loomed on the horizon. From Club Mac News:
Nov. 1985 issue:
* I predict a new mother board for the 512K, with new ROMs, 1 MB of memory,
another port for other devices (perhaps a color monitor) and no new CPU.

* The new ROMs will allow double-sided drives, and therefore will be announced.

* The new mother board will permit a color monitor, and therefore will be
announced. My guess is it will have at least as many pixels as the Amiga.

* I predict a formal announcement of the Jonathan, and that it won't be
available for a while.

Dec. 1985 issue:
* The new Roms are frozen and may be released before the MacWorld Expo in
Jan '86.
* Apple has changed the interface, and pull down menus are now scrollable.
* The name of the new Mac will be Macintosh +
* There will be a Laserwriter+ with 1 Meg ROM, 33 resident fonts, and higher
resolution. Don't hold your breath on this one; I suspect it's mostly vaporous.
* Hyperdrive may have a file server in the works.
* I heard more whispering about the SCSI port than anything else. There is
little doubt that Apple will release a Mac with an SCSI port.

* Why would Apple undercut its own HD20 with the SCSI port. A fair question,
to which I'll impart a medium to fairly reliable rumor. In June, or after
Atari announces its read-only laser drive, Apple will announce its read/write
laser drive. Any guesses on size and price?

--
   I guess I think the above stuff just shows that we should believe some
of the rumors and ignore others. No big surprise!

David Gelphman

------------------------------

Date: Sun 28 Dec 86 22:18:11-PST
From: William "Chops" Westfield <BILLW@Score.Stanford.EDU>
Subject: Speak and Spell program?

So my girlfriend and I got her son a TI Speak and Spell for Christmas,
and I was wondering whether a piece of software that does teh same
sort of thing is available for any of teh current generation of
"home" computers, since I know at least that they can all talk.
(If not, why not?  It seems like a good idea...)

Please at least CC me directly, since I don't read any of these
mailing lists very frequently.

BillW

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 30 Dec 86 09:36:34 EST
From: bills@CCA.CCA.COM (Bill Stackhouse)
Subject: Excel Formula Protection

Does anybody know how to protect formulas in an Excel spreadsheet
without protecting the data. The goal is to keep people from changing
the forumlas but allow them to enter data into the spreadsheet.

Bill Stackhouse
Cambridge, MA.

bills@cca.cca.com

End of INFO-MAC Digest