[mod.mac] Delphi Mac Digest V2 #69

SHULMAN@RED.RUTGERS.EDU (Jeffrey Shulman) (01/01/87)

Delphi Mac Digest        Wednesday, 31 December 1986   Volume 2 : Issue 69

Today's Topics:
     RE: The Flying HD20 Bros. (2 messages)
     Colored LaserWriter Toner??
     RE: dMac III bought by Nantucket
     Fred's Soap Box (2 messages)
     A+ Magazine Third Annual Software Poll
     RE: A+ Magazine Third Annual Software Po
     Silliness
     LightspeedC & Merry Xmas
     Not again...
     DiskTimerII results
     RE: Sample FKEY info desired
     RE: Delphi Diegsts (PSU problems)
     RE: DiskExpress/DataFrame problems
     Acta Format (5 messages)
     Disk Drive help
     HD 20 (3 messages)
     RE: MIDI Programming Advice Wanted
     RE: Warp-9
     Wall Street Journal
     completion routines in L.Pascal? (3 messages)
     Double height or wide letters (3 messages)
     Question on MacWrite & Laserwriters....
     RE: Question on MacWrite & Laserwriters.
     Lightspeed C Report
     Disk Express and MacXL (2 messages)

From: BEVERLEYKANE
Subject: RE: The Flying HD20 Bros. (Re: Msg 16059)
Date: 29-DEC 22:49 Hardware & Peripherals

The most knowledgable person I spoke to today, a tech support person
at a n authorized Apple dealer, said: The heads will park correctly
automatically (i.e.  without a parking program) if you make sure you
shut off the Mac IMMEDIATELY after the Shut Down command, while the
screen is dark, and then immediately shut off the drive. (Called
Apple, but they're shut down for the holidays.)

------------------------------

From: MACLAIRD
Subject: RE: The Flying HD20 Bros. (Re: Msg 16066)
Date: 30-DEC 05:23 Hardware & Peripherals

If you are going to follow that advice, just press the Mouse button after the
Shut Down, and the Macintosh will not boot.  That way you get a chance to make
sure you haven't already started booting.

Generally, when the drive parks the heads, the documentation says so.  On the
other hand, if you take the drive and carry it yourself, it probably will not
experience excessive transients.

I'm reminded of the story of a fellow who sent an accellerometer through a
package delivery service (probably oops, but don't quote me).  I believe the
accellerometer was graded to 100 G's.  It came back to the man -- at 100 G's.

I don't think any of the drives is rated at transient accelleration
past 20 G's.

Laird

------------------------------

From: BWD
Subject: Colored LaserWriter Toner??
Date: 21-DEC 23:35 Business Mac

I have seen colored toner cartridges for the Canon Personal Copier.
These cartridges appear to be physically the exact same as the
LaserWriter cartridges.  Does anybody know if these cartridges can be
used in the LaserWriter or is the internal mix of chemicals different?

Colored Laser ouput!  I am dreaming of a red Christmas?

Brian

------------------------------

From: LAMG
Subject: RE: dMac III bought by Nantucket (Re: Msg 15887)
Date: 22-DEC 01:54 Business Mac

Ric: Interesting news about dMAC III...  Ashton-Tate came out to demo
dBase Mac at my user group meeting last Thursday, and I think they
were talking about a March release.  The program looks better than it
did in Boston, but still has problems.  If they can get it out the
door, though, I think Blyth will really have their work cut out for
them.

-Franklin Tessler / LAMG

------------------------------

From: VASMUG
Subject: Fred's Soap Box
Date: 22-DEC 06:06 MUGS Online

li LI GREETINGS. . .
     Thank you all for your replys.  Macintosh folks just don't know how well
off they are.  Yet where is it all going to end?
     I just came from a meeting and demo on the new AM EPICS system.
Now, for some months, I've been researching and price bickering over a
Linotron for my business. (really me - but don't tell anyone) Then it
was rumored that AM is coming out with a Raster Image Processor to go
up against the Lino family.  Compugraphic (yes, I'm negotiating with
them too) has a machine: $58,000 for the front end only, and $20,000
for the "slave" out- put machine.  Their man says: "No a Macintosh
will never drive our machine!" I says: "How come?  It'll drive a
Linotron 500" He says "Uhhhhhhh. . . "
     So, the AM machine (called GTO - that's Graphic Text Organizer)
is an absolutely fabulous machine.  It's a MONSTER Macintosh.  But
it's not. 19 inch diag. screen - mouse - graphic tablet - 300 fonts on
line - auto everything, including macros - 2700 dpi RC paper out-put -
and much more. Here's the hang: they've cast their lot with IBM!  NO
MAC FRONT ENDS.  Now, I've had AM machines for 15 years.  My 3510 is
considered a dianosaur by all those typography techies out there, yet
it has served very well, and does take text from the Mac for 2700 dip
output.  No PostScript.  So, I sez to myself if everyone's getting
Lasers ($2,000 model debuts in Jan.) ole' Fred aint going to have
anything special anymore. . . and in hopes of riding high on the
technology wave. . . figure I'll just get me one of those high-res
machines and get into the electronic business proper.
     Macintosh folks just don't know how well off they are!  In the
demo of this machine I counted 11 keystrokes to draw a box.  7 more to
move it to the wrong place.  9 more to put a piece of type into it.  I
sez: "You gots ta'be kidden me!" They sez: "what do you mean - this is
state of the art stuff here!"  I sez: "See ya."
     This system is $62,000 for the front end and $28.000 for the
slave. Now can you imagine that?!?! So, what's a poor country artist
supposed to do. I can't bring myself to buy a Lino.  (One lino shop
opperator moans about service - another moans that under his ($3,700
per year) service contract he can't even get Linotron to drive across
town. . . another says the machines are down more than they are up!)
We're looking at $1,800 payments and $320 service contract PER MONTH
here!  Just to do it in 2700 dpi.  And Mac owners cry over a $500 tab
for PageMaker - or $6,000 for a Laser. (That's right folks - I paid
for my laser when they were $6,000 then paid again for the upgrade -
if I had waited a year I could have bought 2!) And now I guess you all
read the latest InfoWorld - here comes the new Mac, and I'll bet
there'll be bellyaching all over Mac town about the price tag.
     So, I wonder.  Which of you will be ordering 2700 dot out put from 'ole
Fred?  Don't everyone get up at once.  Oh well there's always the advertising
industry. . . I wonder if they have Macs. . .
    Great day!!! Did I type all that in?  Sorry guys - for taking all
your time and buffer. . . and for getting on my soap box to cry on
your shoulders! I just wanted to say when you go to sleep tonight,
count your blessings that you've got the most powerful little piece of
electronics right at your fingertips.  And it cost you hardly nothing.
What amazes me is that so very few people out there really have no
idea what this machine represents!
     You guys be good now. . . 'til next time - Fred

------------------------------

From: PEABO
Subject: RE: Fred's Soap Box (Re: Msg 15977)
Date: 22-DEC 23:41 MUGS Online

And we can hope that Apple stays 18 months ahead of the rest of the personal
sized Desktop Publishing industry for the forseeable future.

peter

------------------------------

From: PEABO
Subject: A+ Magazine Third Annual Software Poll
Date: 23-DEC 14:00 Mousing Around

A+, the number 1 Apple II Magazine, has released the names of the winning Apple
software packages for its Third Annual A+ Readers' Choice Software Poll.

The competition was divided into 15 categories ranging from games and
entertainment packages to business and sophisticated integrated applications.
All ballots were tabulated by Beta Research, an independent research firm
located in Syosset, NY.

Here is a list of the winners:

-------------------------------

CATEGORY:  Business Accounting

Apple II -- APPLEWORKS (Apple Computer, Inc.)
       Honorable mention to Entry Accounting (BPI Systems) and Back to Basics (
       Peachtree Software, Inc.)

Macintosh -- BACK-TO-BASICS Accounting (Peachtree Software, Inc.)
       Honorable mention to Entry Accounting (BPI Systems) and Rags to Riches
       (Chang Laboratories, Inc.)

CATEGORY:  Desktop Accessories

Apple II -- PINPOINT (Pinpoint Publishing)
       Honorable mention to Macroworks (Beagle Brothers, Inc.) and Mousedesk
       (International Solutions).

Macintosh -- SIDEKICK (Borland International)
       Honorable mention to Quick & Dirty (Dreams of the Phoenix) and Art
       Grabber (Spinnaker-Hayden Software).

CATEGORY:  Education

Apple II -- STICKYBEAR ABC (Weekly Raeder Family Software, Field Publications)
       Honorable mention to Typing Tutor III (Simon & Schuster Electonic
       Publishing) and Newsroom (Springboard Software).

Macintosh -- TYPING TUTOR III (Simon & Schuster Electronic Publishing)
       Honorable mention to MacEdge (Think Educational Systems) and ChipWits
       (BrainPower, Inc.)

CATEGORY:  Games

Apple II -- FLIGHT SIMULATOR (Sublogic Corp.)
       Honorable mention to Ultima IV (Origin Systems) and Lode Runner
       (Broderbund Software Inc.)

Macintosh -- FLIGHT SIMULATOR (Microsoft Corporation)
       Honorable mention to Deja Vu (Mindscape) and Gato (Spectrum Holobyte).

CATEGORY:  Personal Finance

Apple II -- DOLLARS & SENSE (Monogram Software)
       Honorable mention to Andrew Tobias Managing Your Money (MECA) and Home
       Accountant (Arrays, Inc.).

Macintosh -- DOLLARS & SENSE (Monogram Software)
       Honorable mention to Electric Checkbook (State of the Art).

CATEGORY:  Project Management

Apple II -- THINK TANK (Living Videotext)

Macintosh -- MACPROJECT (Apple Computet, Inc.)
       Honorable mention to Micro Planner (Microplanning Software, USA).

CATEGORY:  Spreadsheets

Apple II -- APPLEWORKS (Apple Computer, Inc.)
       Honorable mention to SuperCalc 3a (Computer Associates Micro Products
       Division) and Multiplan (Microsoft Corp.).

Macintosh -- EXCEL (Microsoft Corp.)
       Honorable mention to Multiplan (Microsoft Corp.) and Jazz (Lotus).

CATEGORY:  Telecommunications

Apple II -- ASCII EXPRESS (United Software)
       Honorable mention to Smartcom II (Hayes Microcomputer Products) and
       Point-To-Point (Pinpoint Publishing).

Macintosh -- RED RYDER (FreeSoft [Shareware])
       Honorable mention to Microphone (Software Ventures Corp.) and Smartcom II
       (Hayes Microcomputer Products).

CATEGORY:  Utility Programs

Apple II -- COPY II (Central Point Software)
       Honorable mention to Macroworks (Beagle Brothers Inc.) and Locksmith
       (Alpha Logic Business Systems, Inc.).

Macintosh -- COPY II MAC (Central Point Software)
       Honorable mention to Qucik & Dirty (Dreams of the Phoenix) and MacZap
       (Micro Analyst, Inc.).

CATEGORY:  Word Processing

Apple II -- APPLEWORKS (Apple Computer, Inc.)
       Honorable mention to PFS:Write (Software Publishing) and WordPerfect
       (WordPerfect Corp.).

Macintosh -- MICROSOFT WORD (Microsoft Corp.)
       Honorable mention to PageMaker (Aldus Corp.).

-------------------------------

For further information call Ziff-Davis Publishing Company at (212) 503-5209 or
(212) 503-4656.

------------------------------

From: MACINTOUCH
Subject: RE: A+ Magazine Third Annual Software Po (Re: Msg 15993)
Date: 23-DEC 15:44 Mousing Around

A+ ?  Isn't that the magazine which just *dropped* all Macintosh coverage?!

------------------------------

From: MOUSEKETEER
Subject: Silliness
Date: 23-DEC 22:27 Mousing Around

Macintosh, the Apple 'puter,
Had a graphic interface,
And if you ever used it,
You would think it worked with grace.

All of the other 'puters,
Used compatibility
To keep poor little Mac'y
Hid in dark obscurity.

Then one fogged-out Christmas eve,
Santa came to say,
"Could your graphic interface
Guide me tonight from place to place?"

Now all the 'puters love him,
As they Window up with glee,
"Macintosh, the Apple 'puter...
Just wait til we get the 803xx!"
                   -Anonymouse

------------------------------

From: PEABO
Subject: LightspeedC & Merry Xmas
Date: 23-DEC 23:20 Programming

LightspeedC 2.01 is shipping!  I got a parcel in the mail today, along with an
interesting note about a new THINK product called LaserSpeed, which spools in
the background to a LaserWriter.  They say it even does PageMaker printing!

peter

------------------------------

From: MOUSEKETEER
Subject: Not again...
Date: 24-DEC 19:37 Mousing Around

   And there were, throughout the country, MIS managers abiding in offices,
keeping watch over their data by night, when a Star PARC'ed overhead
in Northern California.
   And lo, a guy from Cupertino came unto them, and his hair was blow dried,
and they were sore put-off.
   And the guy said, "Don't get bugged. I bring you press pictures for
immediate release, which you shall show to all people.
   "For unto you is brought a computer with a graphic interface, a lot easier
to use than DOS stuff. You will find it hermetically sealed in a cute
little case, next to a mouse."
   And the MIS managers laughed their heads off.

   But, behold, from PepsiCo in the east came a wise man, who brought gifts
of strategic alliances, businesssense, and m'mry.  The MIS managers were
impressed, and after awhile, starting buying the cute little computer.
   And Armonk was exceedingly wroth.

   Here begins the lesson.

   ;-)
   Alf

------------------------------

From: BRECHER
Subject: DiskTimerII results
Date: 25-DEC 06:51 Hardware & Peripherals

These are reported results from the DiskTimerII program as of Dec. 25, 1986.
DiskTimerII measures performance on large (24KB) data transfers and on access
time (seeking, head movement).  The results are independent of the file system,
cache, amount of free space, System and Finder versions, etc.  There is no
direct translation of these results to perceived performance in ordinary Mac
usage.

On HyperDrives, the seek test provides meaningful results only when run from
a drawer which is contiguous for more than 1MB.

Multiple results from the same drive by the same submittor which vary by not
more than 5% have been combined into one report by taking the best result
for each of the three tests.  Where three or more reports from different
submittors on the same drive were available, I have omitted those having
results on all three tests which fell between the best and worst shown below
for that drive.

 Additional reports are welcome.

                               --- time in deciseconds ---
                               100 24KB  100 24KB   80 1MB
 Model, Vendor  [Note]            Reads    Writes    Seeks   Reported by
 ---------------------         --------  --------   ------   ------------
 AST-2000, AST Research             192      192       48    Fred Fischer
 AST-2000, AST Research             192      192       48    David Rose
 DataFrame 20, SuperMac [1]         146      146       69    Dan Clark/SuperMac
 DataFrame 20, SuperMac [1]         147      147       61    Robert Murrow
 DataFrame 20, SuperMac [1]         194      194       80    Carlos Weber
 DataFrame 20, SuperMac [2]          98       98       38    David Berry
 DataFrame 20, SuperMac [2]          98       99       69    Dan Clark/SuperMac
 DataFrame 20, SuperMac [2]          99       99       62    Harry Conover
 DataFrame 20, SuperMac [2]          99       99       80    Harry Conover
 DataFrame 20, SuperMac [2]          99       98       59    SuperMac
 DataFrame XP20, SuperMac            52       55       38    SuperMac
 DataFrame XP40, SuperMac            52       51       18    Dan Clark/SuperMac
 DataFrame XP40, SuperMac [3]        52       70       18    Ira Rampil
 DynaMac portable Mac 40MB internal 165      163       33    Steve Bobker
 Easy Drive 20MB, DCC Systems       192      206       37    Tom Hensley
 Easy Drive 30MB, DCC Systems       422      425       36    "Max"/MouseHole
 Easy Drive 40MB, DCC Systems [4]   140      314       36    Tim Smith
 Hard Disk 20 (floppy port), Apple  872      996       61    Steve Bobker
 Hard Disk 20 (floppy port), Apple  848      969       60    Jean Hess
 HardMAC+20, CMC                    285      286       36    Joseph DiGangi
 HD20SC (SCSI), Apple               155      155       37    Brian Hall
 HD20SC (SCSI), Apple               156      154       38    Norman Fong
 HD20SC (SCSI), Apple               157      157       39    P. Williams/Apple
 HyperDrive 10MB (Mac Plus), GCC    186      190      N/A    Rich Goldberg
 HyperDrive 10MB (Mac Plus), GCC    186      187       42    Tim Smith
 HyperDrive 20MB, GCC               190      188       32    Norman Fong
 HyperDrive 20MB (Mac Plus), GCC    187      187       29    Philip Kinsler
 HyperDrive 20MB (512K), GCC        187      187       34    Paul Rainey
 HyperDrive FX20 (SCSI), GCC        154      231       37    Brian Hall
 HyperDrive FX20 (SCSI), GCC        154      218       38    Philip Kinsler
 HyperDrive FX20 (SCSI), GCC        153      224       37    Michael Root
 LoDOWN 20, LoDOWN                  102      107       39    Bill Steinberg
 MacBottom 10 (serial port), PCPC   503      846       91    Rod Paine
 MacBottom 10 (serial port), PCPC   507      855       97    T. Scotta
 MacBottom HD21 (SCSI), PCPC        164      162       49    Rod Paine
 MacBottom HD21 (SCSI), PCPC        162      165       48    Paul Rainey
 MacBottom HD21 (SCSI), PCPC        162      164       50    Bill Steinberg
 MacDrive 10MB, Tecmar              717      795       59    Chip Nicolais
 MacDrive 5MB removeable, Tecmar    750      784      104    Gene Madill
 MacMate 20, Relax                  192      197       37    M. Azarnoff
 MacMate 20, Relax                  194      292       37    Larry Hosmer
 MacSlimLine 20 fixed, Univation    172      211       38    Robert Yellen
     "       10 removeable  "       305      363      107       "     "
 Magic20, Rabbit Industries         199      464       37    Larry Halff
 Magic65, Rabbit Industries         422      425       15    Norman Fong
 MagNet 40/40, Mirror Technologies  139      198       36    Norman Fong
 MicahDrive 20 AT, MICAH             54       58       70    Fred Fischer
 MicahDrive 20 AT, MICAH             55       63       68    Fred Fischer
 MicahDrive 20 AT, MICAH             56       82       73    Fred Fischer
 MicahDrive 20 AT, MICAH             57       72       74    Ted May
 MicahDrive 20 AT, MICAH             55       78       79    David Rose
 OverDrive 20 w/ Prodigy 4, Levco    79     1058       50    Kiyomasa Ono
 Photon 20, Warp Nine Engineering   174      203       39    Duane Williams
 Photon 30, Warp Nine Engineering   140      450       38    Bill Steinberg
 PL 20, Peripheral Land             241      240       38    Steve Maller
 PL 30, Peripheral Land             228      236       38    Steve Maller
 Plus-30, Peak Systems              139      438       38    Joel West
 QC 20                              811      814       N/A   Neal Kaforey
 Warp 20 (in 512E), Warp Nine       443      443       42    Fred Fischer
 WhisperDrive 21, Palo Alto Mic'Sys.193      193       40    Kurt Wanfried

 Notes:
   [1] Old version
   [2] Current version
   [3] Mean of three trials
   [4] 3:1 sector interleave

------------------------------

From: DDUNHAM
Subject: RE: Sample FKEY info desired
Date: 26-DEC 02:46 Network Digests

 > From: joel@gould9.UUCP (Joel West)
 > Subject: Sample FKEY info desired
 FKEYs aren't "cheap DAs," since they're modal.  I have installed FKEYs to dump
screens/windows to any AppleTalk printer, to "type" today's date, to run DAs
from suitcase files, to copy part of the screen to the clipboard, and to wrap
text so it can be pasted to a communications program.  These can be accessed by
an FKEY Manager, which has a pop-up menu (and can run FKEYs from files).

 David Dunham     "Efficiency is intelligent laziness."
 Maitreya Design

------------------------------

From: DDUNHAM
Subject: RE: Delphi Diegsts (PSU problems)
Date: 26-DEC 02:47 Network Digests

 > From: Sak Wathanasin <sakw%cvaxa.sussex.ac.uk@Cs.Ucl.AC.UK>
 > Subject: Delphi Diegsts (PSU problems)

Not only do I not object, I encourage distribution of the Acta document format.
As you're in England, you might be able to pester Icon Technology in Leicester
to post it to a UK BBS.  Or you can write to Symmetry Corp in Arizona.

(Jeff:  it's in DEV; can you please post it for this gentleman?)

 David Dunham     "If it doesn't have Undo, it's not a Mac program."
 Maitreya Design

------------------------------

From: HSTARR
Subject: RE: DiskExpress/DataFrame problems (Re: Msg 15670)
Date: 26-DEC 20:46 Hardware & Peripherals

Beware of trying to DiskExpress across Tops! In fact, don't even try to run
diskExpress if Tops has a volume/folder mounted from a remote server.

Harry

------------------------------

From: PEABO
Subject: Acta Format
Date: 27-DEC 20:27 Programming Techniques

I was looking at the Acta Format spec the other day and I noticed there was
nothing said about padding.  Does that mean that the word and structure fields
for each topic might not be aligned on an even boundary?

peter

------------------------------

From: DDUNHAM
Subject: RE: Acta Format (Re: Msg 1115)
Date: 28-DEC 00:59 Programming Techniques

No padding exists in the file ... C itself may do some padding with the struct.

------------------------------

From: PEABO
Subject: RE: Acta Format (Re: Msg 1116)
Date: 28-DEC 20:13 Programming Techniques

No, the structure is OK (it is an even number of bytes long with no
unexpected alignments internally).  It is the data which can be an odd
number of bytes, and hence throw off the alignment of the next topic.
A job for BlockMove.

peter

------------------------------

From: DDUNHAM
Subject: RE: Acta Format (Re: Msg 1117)
Date: 29-DEC 02:23 Programming Techniques

I do, in fact, use BlockMove when I read it in.  I never saw the need to pad
data in a file.  Is that the common thing to do?  (I know MacWrite does it, but
their file is theoretically a disk image of memory.)

------------------------------

From: PEABO
Subject: RE: Acta Format (Re: Msg 1118)
Date: 29-DEC 06:26 Programming Techniques

It's one of those space-time tradeoffs.  You save space because of
eliminating padding, but it costs the time required to copy header
information to an aligned position before using it.  I'd modify the
document to point out that the structures can't be used in place by
means of pointers to avoid people cursing you after getting an address
error the first time they write a program using Acta format.  They
probably won't be taken by surprise twice :-)

The people who would be most likely to be taken by surprise are people
who using C on machiens that don't enforce word-alignment, like the
8086 series.

peter

P.S.: Even more than time-space tradeoff, I'd call it a complexity
tradeoff.  You would tend to want to put a layer of subroutine into
everything that accesses the data structure, which might not be a bad
idea, but which does make the program tend to be much slower for
certain applications.  As an alternative, you would tend to put a lot
of open code (maybe macros) to hide the BlockMove stuff, whereas if
the data structure had padding, you would at least know that a valid
structure could be enconomically traversed without a lot of extra
logic.

------------------------------

From: FMBBS
Subject: Disk Drive help
Date: 28-DEC 08:15 Hardware & Peripherals

My next door neighbor updated his 512k mac to a 800k drive and bought
the old 400k drive. He needs to know the pin-outs to connect it up.
the rear of the 400k drive(no case) is a 20 pin edge connector. The
back of the MAC is a 19 pin "D".  Can anyone give me the pin
connections on both ends?? bill taylor Fort Mill MEBBS 803-548-0900

------------------------------

From: JEP111
Subject: HD 20
Date: 29-DEC 01:32 Hardware & Peripherals

Does anyone out there know how to or if you can park the heads on an HD 20?  I
am a traveling musician and I would like any advice on traveling with the HD 20
( non-scsi ).  Thanks, JEP111

------------------------------

From: INC
Subject: RE: HD 20 (Re: Msg 16055)
Date: 29-DEC 06:41 Hardware & Peripherals

You might want to find out how SuperMac parks their dataframe.  In other words,
what their software does.  If it just looks for the last track and leaves the
head there, you should be ok.

josh

------------------------------

From: LOGICHACK
Date: 31-DEC 03:52 Hardware & Peripherals

I've put about 10,000 miles on my HD-20 in the last year without a
hitch. When I fly, I usually carry it on the plane with me tho.

Paul :)

------------------------------

From: MACINTOUCH
Subject: RE: MIDI Programming Advice Wanted
Date: 30-DEC 16:27 Network Digests

To: gillies@noao.UUCP (Kim Gillies X246)
Subject: MIDI Programming Advice Wanted

I don't know if you're willing to work with Basic, but there is a shareware
library for use with MS Basic (also ZBasic version?) on CompuServe, called
MIDIBASIC.  It's the only MIDI library I know of, although Musicworks in
Boston once planned to release such a thing (I don't believe they did).

Ric Ford, "MacInTouch"

------------------------------

From: MACINTOUCH
Subject: RE: Warp-9
Date: 30-DEC 16:47 Network Digests

to: <dquah@ATHENA.MIT.EDU>
Subject: scsi drive discussion on delphi; Warp-9 photon 20

We got a Warp 9 Photon 20 drive about 2 to 3 months ago.  This was the
version that sits beside the Mac similar to an external floppy drive.  It's
small, quiet, cheap ($599), and we've had no problems with it.  The person
who's been using it calls it the "generic SCSI disk" and jokes that it should
be lettered "H A R D  D I S K" on the front like those generic foods you see
in supermarkets.

Ric Ford, "MacInTouch"

------------------------------

From: INC
Subject: Wall Street Journal
Date: 30-DEC 16:53 SIG Business

[reprinted from The Wall Street Journal,
 30 December, 1986., p19                ]

               One Good Turn

     When John Scully, chief executive of
Apple Computer Inc., addressed the First
Boston conference on high technology ear-
lier this month, he siad Apple had recently
bought a Cray Research Inc. supercomputer
for about $14.5 million and was using it
to develop its next generation Apple.
     When it came time for John Rollwagen,
Cray's chief executive, to address the
conference, Mr. Rollwagen said he hadn't
wanted Apple to think this was a one way
street.  So, he said, "since they were
good enough to buy one of our machines,
some of us have bought a few of theirs."
     Mr. Rollwagen also said he told
Seymour Cray, the company founder, about
how Apple was using the machine.  "There
was a pause on the other end of the line,"
Mr. Rollwagen recalls, "and Seymour said,
'That's interesting, because I'm designing
the next Cray with an Apple.'"

josh

------------------------------

From: INTECO
Subject: completion routines in L.Pascal?
Date: 30-DEC 18:38 Programming Techniques

It is not very clear from the Lightspeed documentation whether completion
routines in asynchronus I/O work or not? At least my programs have mysterious
ways of crashing... Further seams LSP to crash if te serial port is active.

Any experience? Uwe

------------------------------

From: DWB
Subject: RE: completion routines in L.Pascal? (Re: Msg 1120)
Date: 31-DEC 01:47 Programming Techniques

Completion routines are called with strange things in A5.  Thus you would get
wierd crashes if you tried to access globals or subroutines that weren't in the
same segment as the completion routine.  To take care of the problem you can
call SetUpA5 at the top of the completion routine and RestoreA5 at the bottom.

David

------------------------------

From: INTECO
Subject: RE: completion routines in L.Pascal? (Re: Msg 1123)
Date: 31-DEC 13:08 Programming Techniques

Yes, I know... but LSP offers a compiler option. I think they have
really problems by switching from the debugging world to the program
world. One thing that really worries me, are the frequent crashes when
I have an active source at the serial port.

Uwe

------------------------------

From: INTECO
Subject: Double height or wide letters
Date: 30-DEC 18:46 Programming Techniques

Is there a standard way to get double height or wide characters. In the moment
I intercept the StdText calls and change the denom/numer value.

Uwe

------------------------------

From: PEABO
Subject: RE: Double height or wide letters (Re: Msg 1121)
Date: 30-DEC 20:38 Programming Techniques

Can you explain a little more what you are doing?  Is this a TextEdit
application (or some other situation where you can't draw the text youself)?

peter

------------------------------

From: INTECO
Subject: RE: Double height or wide letters (Re: Msg 1122)
Date: 31-DEC 13:02 Programming Techniques

It is a terminal emulation (like Vidtext) which includes also graphical
elements. So I have to handle all screen handling myself.

Uwe .e

------------------------------

From: DOCC
Subject: Question on MacWrite & Laserwriters....
Date: 31-DEC 00:46 Business Mac

Hello,

    I'm rather new to Macs; nevertheless, someone has thrown the task
of editing and printing a newsletter in front of me.  To make this
newsletter, I'll be typesetting using a LaserWriter.  However, this
laserwriter is 250 miles away and I'd prefer not to have to rent one.
My question is: If I format a document with various fonts, styles, and
point sizes using a version of MacWrite that doesn't have a laser
driver, can I print this file on a version that does, so that the
various typestyles will come out on a laser printer? In other words,
can alaserized" Macwrite understand fonts that were set in a
nonlaserized one?

    Any Help would be MUCH appreciated.  Thanks.

                Hugh Cushing
                Username DOCC

------------------------------

From: MACINTOUCH
Subject: RE: Question on MacWrite & Laserwriters. (Re: Msg 16092)
Date: 31-DEC 08:41 Business Mac

Hugh,
  You can do this fairly easily.  The trick is getting an accurate preview
on your Mac of what will come out on the laserwriter Mac.  Here are some
hints:

- Both Macs should use the same exact System file, with the same fonts.
- On your Mac, preview the final output by using the Chooser desk accessory
to choose the LaserWriter printer type - even though you don't have one there.
(This requires having the LaserWriter file on your System disk, too)
- Use only real laser fonts: Times, Helvetica, Courier, Symbol (others if
you have a LaserWriter Plus); DON'T use Geneva, New York, Chicago, Monaco, etc.
These are not LaserWriter fonts, but rather screen/ImageWriter fonts, and
will not translate exactly on the laserwriter.
- The main trick is that the margins are different on a LaserWriter from
what they are with the ImageWriter.  That's why you've got to use Chooser.

Ric Ford, "MacInTouch" newsletter

------------------------------

From: RMUHA
Subject: Lightspeed C Report
Date: 31-DEC 03:00 Programming

Well, I got my FREE LSC upgrade last week, just before leaving for XMAS in NJ.
Now that I am back and using it, boy, am I pleased and impressed!!!!! First of
all, all my current stuff converted without any major difficulties. I
reorganized my directories per their suggestions.  The only hassle was removing
the full pathnames from the #include statements, but this was made very easy by
the new search command (enter selection).  Incidentally, I find things are much
easier after you change the menu command key defaults to move all the search
commands to one finger range (eg, cmd-R for replace and cmd-G for find aGain).

Anyway, I just finished converting my Othello game which was
originally written in Megamax and made extensive use of their in-line
assembly feature for the low- level board manipulation and evaluation
functions.  (I finally got my Megamax HFS upgrade a few weeks ago but
consider it irrelavent.)  The LSC in-line assembly syntax is almost
compatible with Megamax but again, the conversion was fairly
mechanical: remove the explicit base register references for globals
and locals that Megamax required and add @'s before labels on branch
instructions.  (Also have to watch register usage: Megamax allowed
D0-D3 as scratch while LSC allows only D0-D2.)  Also, Megamax glue
required passing addresses of Points, while LSC passes Points by
value.

Anyway, I'm highly satisfied with Lightspeed C and recommend it
unconditionally!  ralph

------------------------------

From: JSTIFF
Subject: Disk Express and MacXL
Date: 31-DEC 03:49 Hardware & Peripherals

When using "Disk Express" ver 1.06 to attempt to examine and optimize
the built-in 10Meg hard disk on a MacXL, I get a message that says
"The directory of this volume appears to be damaged. There are 1 more
blocks allocated to files than recorded in the volume information."
Then, contrary to the Version 1.06 release notes, Disk Express will
not allow me to proceed.  A letter in the Dec 86 issue of MacTutor
talked about this problem and said that running "Disk First Aid"
corrected a similar problem, which then allowed Disk Express to
function properly.  But the MacTutor example must have been on a HFS
volume, because when I attempt to run "Disk First Aid" (ver 1.0, Aug
22, 86) on the MacXL hard disk, I get a message that says "This is not
an HFS disk."  Does anyone have any suggestions of how I can clean up
this problem without having to reinitialize the MacXL hard disk?

From: MACINTOUCH
Subject: RE: Disk Express and MacXL (Re: Msg 16095)
Date: 31-DEC 08:43 Hardware & Peripherals

I'm not positive, but I don't think DiskExpress works at all with MFS volumes.

Ric

End of Delphi Mac Digest
-------