Date: Mon,  5 Jan 87 15:37:29 est
From: mp1w#@andrew.cmu.edu (Marc Russell Pawliger)
Subject: Questions about Mac postscript, Technote 14,Postscript errors

1)  Somewhere I read about a small utility that converts the pseudo-
  PostScript generated by MacDraw for use with the Laser Prep header
  into real PS.  Has anyone heard about it and if so, mail me a copy?

2) Tech Note #14:  I have an old Tech Note #14 whose contents are
  the format of a MacProject file.  The note itself is in Word format.  I
  also know that Tech Note #14, the INIT 31 Mechanism, exists.  What's
  going on?

3)  Today I was playing around with PS files on a LaserWriter (not Plus)
  and ran into some very weird errors.  I was using the Adobe downloader,
  which listens at the port for incoming messages, so that's how I know the
  errors.  Anyway, first I was trying to alter the internal graymaps using
the
  'setscreen' command.  I know the file was OK and in correct format, since
  I had downloaded the file (with just a few parameter number changed)
  just three days previous, into a LW+.  It gave back an '%%Offending
  Command: setscreen%%'  Then I tried out a small graymap program that
  uses the 'image' operator with a small hex array.  Again I got the
Offending
  Command, but this time on 'image'.  What's going on?  I know that this
  particular LW has given many a strange 'Error in PostScript' back to the
  Macs even when printing with Paint and Write, especially when a Write
  doc with imbedded graphics (bitmap or pure quickdraw from Draw) is
  printed.  Any comments?  It's on a normal AppleTalk net with about 20
  nodes total and the LW has about 50K prints on it, but still OK otherwise.

										Marc

------------------------------

Date: 2 Jan 87 19:51:52 EST
From: GOPSTEIN.BB@RED.RUTGERS.EDU
Subject: IconHacker V0.95

 Hi,
    this is Icon Hacker V0.95. It is a shareware Icon Editor/switcher.
The file has been converted with Binhex 4.0, and packed with Packit III.
It contains Icon Hacker, Icon Hacker.DOC, and some sample Icons.

                         Joe M.

[ archived as

[SUMEX-AIM.Stanford.EDU]<INFO-MAC>ICON-HACKER-095.HQX

DAVEG
]

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 3 Jan 87 11:23:22 pst
From: Herb Barad <barad%brand@usc-oberon.ARPA>
Subject: Protocol (new version)

This version (still 0.9) fixes a minor bug in the previous version
that I sent to you.  Please replace this one with the other one
in the sumex-aim archives.  Thanks.

				Herb Barad
				barad@brand.usc.edu

[ the old version has been delete and this new version is

 archived as

[SUMEX-AIM.Stanford.EDU]<INFO-MAC>PROTOCOL-09.HQX

DAVEG
]

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 5 Jan 87 08:11:59 est
From: jonathan@mitre-gateway.arpa (Jonathan Leblang)
Subject: preview.hqx

Here is a short utility from some friends at computer:APPLICATIONS.  It is
shareware ($10).  After unbinhexing and unpacking it, drag it to your
system folder and use chooser to select it (it is a 'replacement' printer
driver).  It will then 'print' to the screen instead of a printer so you
can preview your work before committing to the imagewriter.

[ archived as

[SUMEX-AIM.Stanford.EDU]<INFO-MAC>PRINT-PREVIEWER.HQX

DAVEG
]

------------------------------

Date: 6 Jan 87 14:02 EST
From: HALLETT%CSBVAX.decnet@ge-crd.arpa
Subject: drives and memory compatibility

   I am planning some hardware acquisitions and I would appreciate any
scuttlebutt that you may know.

I have a 512K Mac.  I would like to upgrade to a 512e and get the corresponding
800K external drive.  As far as a harddisk goes, I have gotten really positive
feedback on the Warp Nine Photon series with SCSI adaptor for 512e's.  I
am wondering, how compatible with the available memory upgrades will this
beasty be?  Have any of you heard?  You may ask why I don't just upgrade to a
Mac+.  It is so that I do not have to buy an extra power adaptor for my
Thunderscanner.  I know, stupid reason.  However, this package I am
considering will end up cheaper than upgrading to a Mac+ AND I will still
have 1 Meg more memory and can still use my Thunderscanner as is.  Good
enough reasons for me.

If any of you have helpful hints, I would appreciate them.

Thanx.
JAH

------------------------------

Subject: comments on the TeXtures review
Date: Fri, 02 Jan 87 23:17:41 PST
From: David G. Cantor <dgc@CS.UCLA.EDU>

I have been using TeXtures for some time and I have different
conclusions about the new (.95) version.

1.  I find the TeX fonts, when used in the standard sizes are much
    clearer than the laserwriter built-in fonts.  They are finer (not as
    dark) and it is conceivable that with a bad cartridge they might not
    look as good.

2.  I have no problems with italics or math. However there are serious
    problems with the laserwriter built-in fonts:

    a.  The ligatures are incorrect.  For example, if you type the word
	"flight" using Courier, you get " light" for TeXtures tries to
	use a non-existent ligature.

    b.  In all of them, \lq gives the single quote that looks like the
	Ascii left quote, rather than the round single left quote which
	the TeXbook proscribes and which is present in the fonts.

    c.  Despite the fact that TeX can address 256 characters in a font
	you can only get the first 128.  If you try to use "\chardef"
	with an argument bigger than 127 you get a diagnostic.

3.  There are major bugs in the "save as" routine.

4.  As noted before you must load the fonts you need, EVERY TIME you
    start up TeXtures.  In addition you must select the various editor
    options every time you start or continue a document.  These things
    should be stored with the document.

5.  When a document that has been "TeXed" is stored, the typeset
    copy (dvi) is stored with it, thus possibly wasting much space.
    It appears the only way to get rid of this is to reTeX with an
    "\endinput" at the beginning of the file(s).

6.  At the moment, there is no way for the user to create his own tfm
    files or load his own fonts.

dgc

------------------------------

Date: Mon 5 Jan 87 18:20:03-PST
From: Philip M. Pitner <PITNER@Sierra.Stanford.EDU>
Subject: Mac + TTY printer driver?

Does anyone know of a printer driver for the Mac+ which can handle simple TTY
characters, i.e. no graphics.  I'm looking for something similar to the cap-
ability of Excels TTY printer setup routine.  However I'd like to permanently
install a printer driver in the system file so that all programs can auto-
matically access it (e.g.  WriteNow, More Outliner, Excel, RedRyder, etc.).

The bottom line is that I have lots of nice old RS232 TTY printers which
will handle 90 % of my applications.  If I need graphics, special fonts, etc
I'd run it off on a laserprinter available at work.  I'm holding off buying
a new printer until the "home" laser printer becomes more affordable.

In the old days of CPM S100 systems it was relatively easy to hook just about
any RS232 printer to your computer because most programs had a printer setup
routine where you would enter the control characters required to do various
special features on your printer. For example, bold type, backspace, underline,
expanded and even graphics control sequences could be handled.

The particular printer I'd like to drive is the PRISM 80 by Integral Dat
Systems but any generic driver which will handle simple TTY ASCII will work
(although without using graphics capablility of Prism 80).  Please respond
directly to me and I'll summarize to net if interest warrants. :-)

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 6 Jan 87 19:02:37 est
From: whitaker@eniac.seas.upenn.edu (Blair Whitaker)
Subject: looking for information on connecting typewriters and
Subject: daisywheels to mac+

has anyone had any experience connecting typewriter serial ports or daisy
wheel printers to the mac+, am interested in brands of printers and
the wordprocessing programs that can drive them?

------------------------------

Date: 05 Jan 87  1429 PST
From: Peter Rathmann <PKR@SAIL.STANFORD.EDU>
Subject: What to do with 128k Mac?

I have an old 128k Mac (remember those?), which I had never
gotten around to upgrading. I was wondering, now that the
price of 1 Meg chips is coming down nicely ($13 is the most
recent support price), will it be possible to upgrade
straight to 2 megabytes by replacing the memory chips?  Is
there some major incompatibility caused by the need for more
address lines or something like that?  Thanks.

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 5 Jan 87 13:52 PST
From: Wahl.ES@Xerox.COM
Subject: Database program

I'm looking for a database program that will produce a report, not
directly to the printer, but as a word processor document that I can
then edit and place in Pagemaker.  Any pointers folks could give me
would be greatly appreciated.

--Lisa

------------------------------

Subject: compress programs
Date: Sat, 03 Jan 87 11:52:25 -0800
From: Kathleen Huddleston <gregory@icse.UCI.EDU>

Does anyone have a really good compress/archive program for the Mac?

Packit III is OK, but it doesn't have an option of not creating a second
file.

Kathleen

------------------------------

Date: Sun 4 Jan 87 10:43:24-EST
From: Bill Sholar <WS7D@TE.CC.CMU.EDU>
Subject: MacDraw Maps?

I'm looking for a map of the USA, with detail at least including state
lines, in MacDraw format.  Anyone seen such a map?

	Bill Sholar
	WS7D@TE.CC.CMU.EDU

------------------------------

Date: Mon,  5 Jan 87 13:50:06 est
From: su01#@andrew.cmu.edu (Stuart Uleman)
Subject: Re: Sharp Mac Clone

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought the Sharp X68000 was going to run
MS-Dos, and not the Mac-compatible operating system.  (Or so the ads say....)

--Stu Uleman (su01@andrew.cmu.edu)

------------------------------

Date: 6 Jan 87 16:11 EST
From: HALLETT%CSBVAX.decnet@ge-crd.arpa
Subject: Crystal Raiders

A question to who ever poster Crystal Raiders:  How do you stop the game?
I've tried command-q and a whole bunch others, but they all restart the
game.

Thanx.
JAH

------------------------------

Date: 4 Jan 87 20:17:42 EST
From: Jeffrey Shulman <SHULMAN@RED.RUTGERS.EDU>
Subject: Delphi Mac Digest V3 #1

Delphi Mac Digest        Sunday, 4 January 1987        Volume 3 : Issue 1

Today's Topics:
     RE: Question on MacWrite & Laserwriters. (2 messages)
     complete List of Syserrs
     trivial pursuit (2 messages)
     RE: Double height or wide letters
     MacLightning/Word bomb
     HARDWARE
     RAGS TO RICHES (2 messages)
     Radius Bug
     quickdraw points ?
     RE: Disk Express and MacXL (3 messages)
     The MENU
     RE: COPY II MAC & Excel
     RE: Invisible Folders
     RE: Distress Call from Dark Castle
     RE: Problems with MacFlow by Mainstay
     ryad's 68020/68881
     MacPlus Memory upgrades
     Jasmine SCSI hard disk
     McFace v2.0 FORTRAN user interface
     Apple Job Opening
     Warning to Expo Travellers

[ archived as

[SUMEX-AIM.Stanford.EDU]<INFO-MAC>DELPHIV3-1.ARC

DAVEG
]

End of INFO-MAC Digest