[net.sf-lovers] Ellison & THE TERMINATOR

boyajian%akov68.DEC@decwrl.ARPA (06/08/85)

From: boyajian%akov68.DEC@decwrl.ARPA

> From: Michael Wahrman <wahrman@WHITE.SWW.Symbolics.COM>

> In today's (May 30) Hollywood Reporter, there is a full page ad that
> reads:
>
> ----------
>
> Exhibit "A"
> Press Release
>
> Hemdale Film Corporation and HARLAN ELLISON are pleased to announce that
> they have resolved their dispute regarding the motion picture The
> Terminator and Hemdale Film Corporation acknowledges the works of HARLAN
> ELLISON.  [In the ad, "Harlan Ellison" is in bold face]
>
> [then at the bottom, in small type]
>
> With special thanks to Destroyer Lawyer, Henry W. Holmes, Jr.
>
> ----------
>
> Does anyone know what this is about.

The original poster asked for an answer by mail, but for the
general interest, I'm also posting this to SFL.

Ellison's lawyer brought suit against the producers of THE TERMINATOR,
claiming that the story concepts in the movie were too close to the
two OUTER LIMITS scripts written by Ellison --- "Demon with a Glass
Hand" and "Soldier".
	Personally, I feel that the similarities, while certainly
there, are too superficial for a lawsuit, but there was an out of
court settlement. The producers probably figured it wasn't worth
fighting.

--- jayembee (Jerry Boyajian, DEC, Maynard, MA)

UUCP:	{decvax|ihnp4|allegra|ucbvax|...}!decwrl!dec-rhea!dec-akov68!boyajian
ARPA:	boyajian%akov68.DEC@DECWRL.ARPA
   soon to be:
	boyajian%akov68.DEC@DECWRL.COM