[mod.mac] INFO-MAC Digest V5 #37

INFO-MAC@SUMEX-AIM.STANFORD.EDU (Moderator David Gelphman...) (01/13/87)

INFO-MAC Digest          Monday, 12 Jan 1987       Volume 5 : Issue 37

Today's Topics:
                    Votes sought for 'most overrated'
                        Comments on MacWorld Expo
                Program control of the MacPlus disk cache
               Memberships & subscriptions (APDA, MacUser)
                               Serial EFS?
                 Redefining Mac+ Keypad with Kermit 0.8
                       Megamax V3.0 batch program
                      Blob Manager Docs parts 1-11
                  Mishawaka 7,9-point fixed-width fonts
                          FaceLift Announcement
                                networks
                        PCs on Appletalk networks
                      Mini-8, AppleTalk connectors
                        MacMoney review, anyone ?
                      Imagewriter II and MacProject
                               IconHacker
                               File Munges
                               MacPacket/*
 bargain WP offer for Mac for $29.00?  I am imagining this or is it real

From: jww@sdcsvax.ucsd.edu (Joel West)
Date: 12 Jan 87 15:58:35 GMT
Subject: Votes sought for 'most overrated'
Date: 12 Jan 87 15:58:34 GMT

When the Macintosh was announced three years ago, its computerized
voice poked fun at an earlier personal computer, the IBM PC.
In honor of the Mac's third birthday, votes are now being solicited
for the "most overrated" things in the Mac world.

I take responsibility for the idea, conceived late one night at an
INFO-MAC dinner.  However, while I solicited nominations at that time,
it wouldn't be fair for a small group to influence the voters'
selections, so all are eligible to win.

DEFINITION
    The definition of overrated might not be clear.  Something that is
    overrated is something that has been rated highly, praised, termed
    exceptional, etc., either by a third party or through self-promotion
    AND is not fully deserving of that praise.

ELIGIBILITY
    Except as noted, any product must have been released for the Macintosh
    between Jan. 14, 1984 and Jan. 13, 1987; Lisa products related to the
    Mac are also eligible.  Any company or individual must be associated
    with at least one released product, so, for example, Ashton-Tate would
    not be eligible but Lotus Development would.

    Individuals, companies, or products no longer in existence, or no
    longer in the Macintosh community remain eligible if they ever met
    the eligibility requirment.

CATEGORIES
1) Software Product: Any application, development software, or system
   software; Apple's and third-party; commercial, public domain, shareware.

2) Hardware Product: Any computer, peripheral or component.

3) Company: Any company that derives any portion of its revenues from
   the Macintosh or Macintosh-related items, including those listed in 5).

4) Individual: Similar to 3), although uncompensated individuals are also
   eligible.

5) Other: Anything not covered by 1) through 4), including (but not
   limited to):
	* Book
	* Magazine
	* Information service, news group or bulletin board
	* Event or announcement
	* Concept, product category or buzzword

6) Grand prize: The most-deserving item from the preceding categories.

SPECIAL CATEGORY
7) Vaporware hall of fame: Any product announced during the eligibility
   period, whether released or not.

HOW TO VOTE
   Please return the ballot below before January 31, 1987 to
   	UUCP: {ucbvax,decvax,ihnp4}!sdcsvax!jww
	ARPA: jww@SDCSVAX.ARPA    or    jww@SDCSVAX.UCSD.EDU
   Signed ballots from any network will be accepted, and all names
   remain confidential.  Unsigned ballots or duplicate ballots from
   the same userid will be rejected.

--------------CUT HERE--------------
   1. Hardware:
   2. Software:
   3. Company:
   4. Individual:
   5. Other:
   6. Grand prize:
   7. Vaporware:

[ note from moderator:  PLEASE respond to Joel and NOT to info-mac. DAVEG ]

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 12 Jan 87 10:27:38 PST
From: <DAVEG@slacvm.bitnet>
Subject: Comments on MacWorld Expo

   I thought I'd mention some things about the Expo that haven't been
mentioned so far (forgive me if they already have). To me, the most
striking thing about the expo was that unlike previous years it wasn't
possible to just wander around to all the booths and REALLY have a look.
At least for me, this was just too exhausting since there were so MANY more
vendors and demos that I just didn't have the energy even though I was there
for two days. Sure, I did browse and get a chance to look at almost every
booth but I didn't find the time to spend with all the vendors of interest
the way I had in previous years. I guess maybe I'm just getting older.
   The most interesting products to me were definately Adobe's Illustrator and
Cricket Draw. Clearly drawing and word processing are coming of age on the
Mac. I guess the most disappointing aspect of the show was that there wasn'
t any HOT new hardware to speak of. Last year my eyes were still wide open
days after the show with the introduction of the Levco Prodigy
(they still pop open when I see one!),
General Computer's souped up Mac, the SCSI disks, and even the
MacPlus. This year there were lots of hard disks, tape backups, big screens
(Radius, E-Machines, Micrographics), etc. I guess we just have to wait until
the March introduction of the new machines from Apple).
   For me, the highlight of the show was the dinner on Friday
at the Hunan restaurant. It was an interesting group of people, most of whom
you know though the computer nets. It was generally a night of good laughs
(especially when the check arrived) and good conversation. It was a time
to convert userid's and silly signatures into real people and personalities;
something which suffers though this electronic interaction. Thanks to everyone
who was there, especially Joel West, whose ear I talked off for most of the
night. I dare say the rest of you may bump into some results of the evening's
discussions in the future. Let's see those nominations, Joel!
David Gelphman                  BITNET address: DAVEG@SLACVM
Bin #88 SLAC                    ARPANET address:  DAVEG@SLACVM.BITNET
Stanford, Calif. 94305          UUCP address: ...psuvax1!daveg%slacvm.bitnet
415-854-3300 x2538
usual disclaimer #432 applies: my employer apologies for the fact
that I have access to this net.

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 7 Jan 87 08:43:23 pst
From: rtech!rtech!mark@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU (Mark Wittenberg)
Subject: Program control of the MacPlus disk cache

Can anyone help me with enabling/disabling the cache from a program?  I
need to disable the cache, run some code (it sets up a ramdisk, and the
ramdisk requires that the cache be off when it starts), and then resets
the cache to its previous settings (I'll settle for always turning it on
if I have to).

IM vol IV mentions a control call:
	cscode = 9
	csparam (hi) == 0 to disable, non-zero to enable
	csparam (lo) == 1 to install, 0 is nop, -1 is remove
(I'm quoting from memory so I might be off on the details).

Well, first of all, I'm not sure just exactly what this means
(what's the difference between enabling and installing?).
I'm guessing:

    csparam (hi) is a code for the size of the disk cache
	0 ==> none
	1 ==> 32Kb
	2 ==> 64Kb, etc (or something similar)

    csparam (lo) turns on/off the cache (the Control Panel on/off buttons)
	0 allows you to change the size of the cache without
	  affecting whether it is on or off

This at least would make sense.

Secondly, when I do this, I get success returns from PBControl (using
refnum -5 for the Sony driver), but nothing seems to happen no matter what
values I use for either byte of csparam (that is, the Control Panel shows
no change).  I haven't gone around playing with reading blocks to see if
the cache has changed, but the Control Panel doesn't know about it.  Does
the Control Panel only report the status of the non-volatile RAM, and the
PBControl call affect only driver memory?

Thirdly, I can't find a documented way to discover the current settings;
surely there must be a way.  IW vol IV mentions some extra parameter RAM
in the clock chip, but just says that it's reserved, without describing
it.  Surely part of this is the cache info; does anyone know the details?
I'm assuming that the parameter RAM info is also copied to either low
memory or variables in the Sony driver; anybody know about this either?

By the way, I'm doing this in Lightspeed C, but I don't think that has
anything to do with my code not being effective, as I can make other
control and status calls that work perfectly.  I'll be happy to provide my
source if anyone thinks that it's relavant.

Thanks for any help.

Mark Wittenberg
Relational Technology, Inc.
Alameda, CA
ucbvax!mtxinu!rtech!mark
ihnp4!zehntel!rtech!mark

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 8 Jan 87 03:30:45 est
From: Antonio Leal <abl@ohm.ECE.CMU.EDU>

APDA: You all saw those adds offering you a free book if you joined the
Apple Programmers & Developpers Association before the end of the year,
right ? Well, I sent in my check by mid-november, was greeted back with
a request for my signature on a piece of paper by early december, got
a receipt before christmas, and today I got my book, membership card and
catalogs. And a bill for another $20 for the _1987_ membership. Now I
understand. At least the book seems good (Knaster, "How to Write Macintosh
Software"), not the fluff abounding in bookshop shelves.

(Parenthesis on books: I cut my teeth on "Using the Macintosh Toolbox with C",
which I'd recommend for a first book, altough it doesn't cover the MacPlus.
It saw me through my first Mac program, with some help from sources from
the net (thanks, folks; results coming out as soon as I have time to work
my way around a bug with redrawing pictures out of their original locations)).

MacUser: And you also want to know what's new, and not seem completely
out of it when posting to the net, right ? So when the folks from MacUser
sweetened the deal with their tips book, I showed them the plastic (sometime
in mid-november). And by mid-december I was getting the October and November
issues. How nice. Here, I explained in a letter that this wasn't acceptable;
I got back an answer saying my subscription had been "extended by 3 months"
and all seems well now. I haven't got the book yet, though; I think it is
still in the vapor-print category.

Thought you might like to know.

	Tony	(abl@ohm.ece.cmu.edu)

------------------------------

Subject: Serial EFS?
Date: Wed, 07 Jan 87 22:20:53 -0800
From: kent@decwrl.DEC.COM

Some time ago, I started poking around at the original EFS code done, I
think, at Lucasfilm, which was converted by Bill Croft to run over
AppleTalk to speak through a Kinetics box to Unix. I was interested in
resurrecting the original to use at home over a dialup (I knew it would
be slow, I wanted to see how slow). He said the original was really
awful, but that some folks at U of Michigan were working on cleaning it
up and making it better. I got in touch with Gavin Eadie there, who
confirmed Bill's report, and said that they'd be happy to give me what
they came up with.

I've since gotten a 9600 baud line to home, and am *really* curious to
see how a serial EFS would work. Unfortunately, I haven't heard
anything from the UofM folks for a while, and they don't seem to answer
my mail. Is anyone from UofM reading this? Can you help? Anyone else?

Thanks,
chris

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 9 Jan 87 11:01:06 EST
From: Rich Akerboom <boomer%dartmouth.edu@RELAY.CS.NET>
Subject: Redefining Mac+ Keypad with Kermit 0.8

I have been trying to create a macintosh kermit VT100 emulation document based
on the PSEUDO VT100 document supplied with version 0.8(34) of macintosh kermit
(written by Bill Catchings, Frank da Cruz and Bill Schilit at Columbia).

First, I would like to know if I have the most recent version of macintosh
kermit, ie 0.8(34).

Secondly, I found that the =, /, * and + keys on the mac plus keyboard's keypad
(the same keys are known on a VT100 as:  PF2  PF3  PF4  ,  ) seem to have the
same definition whether shifted or unshifted, and that this value can only be
set when the key is shifted.  I am using the CHANGE KEYS 0.8 application program
supplied with the macintosh kermit distribution.  This program does not show
the keypad on the screen when SET KEY ... has been selected, but allows the user
to setup these keys by pressing them (the regular keys can be selected for setup
either by clicking on them in the diagram, or by pressing the key).

Symptoms:
when one of the 4 keys mentioned above is pressed, the shift key in the diagram
changes to reverse video and the program says something like "shift defined to
be +".  You can then define the key as usual, but if you come back to it, you
will see that the value has not changed.  If however, you click on the shift
key in the diagram, then hit the keypad key and redefine it (by doing this,
you are redefining the shifted version of the key), this definition
seems to stick with it.  If one then tries to see what value the unshiftedkeypad
key has, the new shifted value is shown.

While I can live with this problem, I would like to know what is going on.  If
you have any suggestions, or know of a more recent kermit release, I would
appreciate your letting me know.  Thanks.  I will summarize if warranted.

                   Rich Akerboom    boomer@dartmouth.EDU

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 11 Jan 87 20:16:59 PST
From: John Bruner <jdb@mordor.s1.gov>
Subject: Megamax V3.0 batch program

Long after I had given up all hope, my V3.0 Megamax upgrade finally
arrived.  I can't get the "batchX" program to work.  As soon as it
tries to launch a program it complains that it cannot open its save
file.  (I put "batchX" into the system folder, as the instructions
directed.  It also does not work with an MFS volume or with System 2.0
or when renamed to "batch".)  If I were still using Megamax this
would present an annoying problem, since the old "batch" program
won't work under any system more recent than 2.0.

BTW, I compiled my last Megamax version of the UW source code with
both V2.1 and V3.0.  The application created by the newer version
is bigger, mostly (I believe) due to changes in the runtime library.
Apparently Megamax did not improve the generated code quality in V3.0.
At least my $15 wasn't totally wasted -- the upgrade does include
FastEddie.
--
  John Bruner (S-1 Project, Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory)
  MILNET: jdb@mordor.s1.gov		(415) 422-0758

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 12 Jan 87 15:24:52 CST
From: Paul DuBois <dubois@unix.macc.wisc.edu>
Subject: Blob Manager Docs parts 1-11

Following is a list of the set of files comprising the documentation
for the Blob Manager.  All files except the first are in MacWrite 4.5
format.

BMgr.Map.Hqx		FaceLift map

BMgr.qref.Hqx		Blob Manager Quick Reference

BMgrDoc0.Hqx		Blob Manager Programmer's Guide - Intro
BMgrDoc1.Hqx		Chapter 1
BMgrDoc2.Hqx		Chapter 2
BMgrDoc3.Hqx		Chapter 3
BMgrDoc4.0.Hqx		Chapter 4, part 1
BMgrDoc4.5.Hqx		Chapter 4, part 2
BMgrDoc4.7.Hqx		Chapter 4, part 3
BMgrDoc5.Hqx		Chapter 5

The first file is a FaceLift reformatting specification.  All of the
documents are formatted in Times Roman and Courier for the LaserWriter.
If you have an ImageWriter, run all of the documents through FaceLift
using this map to format them in New York and Monaco.  (Of course,
you can use a different map if you don't like New York and Monaco.)

FaceLift has been distributed on the net recently so you should be
able to find it around somewhere.

[ archived as

[SUMEX-AIM.Stanford.EDU]<INFO-MAC>BLOBMANAGER-DOCS-PART1.TXT
[SUMEX-AIM.Stanford.EDU]<INFO-MAC>BLOBMANAGER-DOCS-PART2.HQX
[SUMEX-AIM.Stanford.EDU]<INFO-MAC>BLOBMANAGER-DOCS-PART3.HQX
[SUMEX-AIM.Stanford.EDU]<INFO-MAC>BLOBMANAGER-DOCS-PART4.HQX
[SUMEX-AIM.Stanford.EDU]<INFO-MAC>BLOBMANAGER-DOCS-PART5.HQX
[SUMEX-AIM.Stanford.EDU]<INFO-MAC>BLOBMANAGER-DOCS-PART6.HQX
[SUMEX-AIM.Stanford.EDU]<INFO-MAC>BLOBMANAGER-DOCS-PART7.HQX
[SUMEX-AIM.Stanford.EDU]<INFO-MAC>BLOBMANAGER-DOCS-PART8.HQX
[SUMEX-AIM.Stanford.EDU]<INFO-MAC>BLOBMANAGER-DOCS-PART9.HQX
[SUMEX-AIM.Stanford.EDU]<INFO-MAC>BLOBMANAGER-DOCS-PART10.HQX
[SUMEX-AIM.Stanford.EDU]<INFO-MAC>BLOBMANAGER-DOCS-PART11.HQX

DAVEG
]

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 11 Jan 87 20:43:15 PST
From: John Bruner <jdb@mordor.s1.gov>
Subject: Mishawaka 7,9-point fixed-width fonts

When I distributed UW v2.10 I included a 7-point Monaco font.  Although
I had put a lot of work into its appearance, it was originally derived
from the Apple Monaco font.  I was later persuaded to withhold this
font from the UW v3.4 distribution because of its questionable
copyright status.

Since then, I have created my own fixed width fonts, named Mishawaka.
These fonts are public domain.  UW users may want to install the 7-point
font in their system files as Monaco 7; UW's 7-point output looks much
better when it doesn't have to scale down the 9-point font.

I'm working on a couple of other sizes (a 6-point font that looks a
lot like "Tiny" and a 12-point font).
--
  John Bruner (S-1 Project, Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory)
  MILNET: jdb@mordor.s1.gov		(415) 422-0758
  UUCP: ...!ucbvax!decwrl!mordor!jdb 	...!seismo!mordor!jdb

[ archived as

[SUMEX-AIM.Stanford.EDU]<INFO-MAC>FONT-MISHAWAKA.HQX

DAVEG
]

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 12 Jan 87 15:13:30 CST
From: Paul DuBois <dubois@unix.macc.wisc.edu>
Subject: FaceLift Announcement

FaceLift is an application that allows font, point size and
type style information in MacWrite documents to be reformatted.  This
is essentially the same task performed by Font Changer, but allows
many transformations to be performed in parallel.  It works with
MacWrite 2.2 or 4.5 documents.  Documents may be reformatted in place
or to another document.  Reformatting specifications may be saved to
a file and reused.  The formats contained in a document may be pulled
and used as a basis for the specifications - no need to guess.

You can use it, for instance, to convert LaserWriter formatted documents
for ImageWriter, or vice-versa.  The FaceLift document itself, however,
is trivially formatted (one font only - Times), so that MacWrite is
perfectly adequate for transforming to an ImageWriter font.  It comes
in handy for such things as the TransSkel document, which can be redone
for ImageWriter with the following map:

     Input                    Output
Font     Size  Style   Font       Size Style
Times   | Any | Any -> New York | Any | Any
Courier | 10  | Any -> Monaco   | 9   | Any

FaceLift is public domain and may be redistributed without restriction,
as usual.  A public outcry will produce a source posting, as usual.

[ archived as

[SUMEX-AIM.Stanford.EDU]<INFO-MAC>UTILITY-FACELIFT-10-DOCS.HQX
[SUMEX-AIM.Stanford.EDU]<INFO-MAC>UTILITY-FACELIFT-10.HQX

DAVEG
]

------------------------------

Date: 9 Jan 1987 11:47:00-EST
From: David.Kirk@faraday.ECE.CMU.EDU
Subject: networks

I am relatively new to the world of the Mac, and I have some rather
basic questions:

1. Can the same type of network used for sharing a printer, be used for
   sharing a harddisk?
2. If not, is there a way to share a harddisk among several Macs?
3. I have been told there exists a Thunderscanner for digitization.  Can
   this digitized image be saved to the harddisk?

Please send mail to kirk@faraday.ece.cmu.edu
Thanks in advance,
       Dave

[ note from moderator: The appletalk network supports many types of
communication and with commercial products today you can share printers like
the Apple LaserWriter and Appletalk Imagewriter (an Imagewriter II with an
Appletalk card ~$100), File server programs such as TOPS and MacServe which
allow you to share a hard disk over the network, mail via InBox for example
and certainly much more now and in the future. As far as Thunderscanner or
any other application goes, you can save files to hard disks on the network
with no problem. Specifically with ThunderScan however the size of image you
can digitize depends on memory limitations of the Mac you use it with. DAVEG]

------------------------------

Subject: PCs on Appletalk networks
Date: Thu, 08 Jan 87 21:30:27 -0500
From: mex107@mitre.ARPA

A colleague is seriously thinking about adding a few PC/ATs to an existing
Appletalk network that includes a LaserWriter.  I would greatly appreciate it
if anyone with first-hand experience running a PC in that environment could
let me know how it went.  What problems arose?  Did the PC user find it
a productive environment?  Anything special that should be acquired in
advance?  Thanks in advance for any help.

Mike Leavitt
mex107@mitre.arpa

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 9 Jan 87 14:11:07 est
From: osupyr!akw@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU (Andrew K Weaver)
Subject: Mini-8, AppleTalk connectors

Hate to be totally obtuse, but I am in need of the elusive Mini-8 pin
and AppleTalk connectors for the Mac+'s.  Could anyone give me any help
on where I could possibly order/find these other than shelling out
$20/cable?  I work in the College of Business here at OSU and we are
hoping to create a mini-network of Macs and (gack) PCs.  Any help will
be more than appreciated.

--------------------+-----------------------------------------------------
T   *    H    *   E |       |           akw%osupyr.uucp@osu-eddie.uucp
O     H     I     O |     --+--         {your path here}|cbosgd|osupyr|akw
S   T    A    T   E |       |           Dorm (614) 293-1195
U N I V E R S I T Y | Andrew|Weaver     Work (614) 293-7868 or 292-1741
--------------------+------ | --------------------------------------------
New, improved(?)logo| These opinions do not reflect those of my employers,
--------------------+ who most likely would freak if they knew I had any
  Matthew 28.18-20  |                computer access.
--------------------+-----------------------------------------------------

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 8 Jan 87 03:37:46 est
From: Antonio Leal <abl@ohm.ECE.CMU.EDU>
Subject: MacMoney review, anyone ?

Any adventurous soul care to post a review of MacMoney ? My questions are:
Can you keep a set of usual payees of your checks, to save on typing ? What
about recording payment of your credit card bill and the check you used
for it, with just one input ? The ads say "save as text" ("for use with
MacInTax"), which for me is vital. I'm not typing my data at an oyster, not
even a not-copy-protected oyster :-)

Tony	(abl@ohm.ece.cmu.edu)

------------------------------

Date: 9 Jan 87 12:52 EST
From: HALLETT JEFFREY A            <HALLETT@ge-crd.arpa>
Subject: Imagewriter II and MacProject

  Kind of a congealed note here:

1.  I have been having bizarre problems with my Imagewriter II.  Sometimes
when I turn it on, it will carriage return then jam at the left side an
vibrate until I think it will fall apart.  Sometimes, it will carriage return
and the select button will no longer work (neither will it print!).  Now,
that has stopped for the time being.  It's new trick is to come on and only
work if the print quality setting is high or near-letter-perfect.  If it
is in low mode, the application will act as though it is printing (happily)
but no hard-copy is ever produced.  I am using driver v.2.3, system 3.2 and
finder 5.? on a 512K Macintosh.

2.  A friend asked me to find out if anyone has ever found a way to "bend"
connection lines between tasks in MacProject.  For example, if a line
between two tasks passes directly under another, can the line be bent to
circumvent that task?

(I don't believe so, but there's always the chance ;-))

JAH

Disclaimer:  My boss regrets that this padded cell has a net port.

------------------------------

Date: 12 Jan 87 12:56 EST
From: HALLETT JEFFREY A            <HALLETT@ge-crd.arpa>
Subject: IconHacker

  Just a note to whomever posted Icon Hacker v.095, the document is badly
garbled.
    The whole Icon Hacker v0.95 doesn't work.  It comes up with the opening
screen with a single control button.  When pressed, it ways "Come on guys!
Don't mess with my copyright panal..."  again with a single button.  When
pressed, it quits to the Finder.  As of yet, I still cannot find a way to
get around it.  Since the document was badly messed up after unPakitt-ing,
perhaps the application was also.

 JAH

------------------------------

Subject: File Munges
Date: Mon, 12 Jan 87 16:22:21 -0500
From: Larry Larraga <larraga@louie.udel.edu>

When I UnBinHexed the library addition UTILITY-DIRACTARY.HQX, it  did not
appear on the desktop.  Checking its File Finder Attributes showed bits set
for INVISIBLE, SYSTEM, BUSY, CHANGED & BUNDLE and INITED.  Leaving only
BUNDLE & INITED fixed things up.

Also the document for ICON-HACKER-095.HQX seems to be garbaged up.

Larry Larraga
University of Delaware
Microcomputing Resource Center
152 Newark Hall
Newark, Delaware  19716

Voice:		(302) 451-6782
ARPA:		larraga@louie.udel.edu
BITNET:		26825@udacsvm.bitnet
COMPUSERVE:	76505,1426

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 9 Jan 87 23:56:26 PST
From: brydon@Ford-wdl1.ARPA (Louis B. Brydon)
Subject: MacPacket/*

I am looking for information on software for amateur packet radio.  I have
heard of three 'MacPacket' programs, that run three different types of
packet board (Kantronics, TAPR, and TNC2) produced by someone called:
Brincomm Technology, address or city unknown.  I would appreciate information
on either MacPacket, Brincomm Technology, or any other Packet Radio help
from out there in netland.  Yes, I am a licenced amateur, but no I do not
yet have a TNC choosen.  Please respond directly to this account as well as
to info-mac, as service to me in irregular.

-Louis
-WA6OCZ

------------------------------

From: William L. Rupp <nosc!rupp@cod.nosc.arpa>
Date: 12 Jan 87 19:00:46 GMT
Subject: bargain WP offer for Mac for $29.00?  I am imagining this or
Subject: is it real
Date: 12 Jan 87 19:00:46 GMT

====
I could swear that I read about a great offer on a Mac word processor
for $29.00 (if you sent in your money and the original MacWrite disk) by
a certain time.  Does anybody know what I am talking about?  (Do I know
what I am talking about?  Skip that one.)

If this is not a case of my imagination running rancid, and you know the
facts or where they were published, please let me know.

Thanks for your help.
(This request is not made on behalf of my employer, Computer Sciences
Corp.   In other words, that's my disclaimer........)

[ note from moderator: The following words come to mind: you get what
you pay for. DAVEG ]

End of INFO-MAC Digest