From: BWD
Subject: File Transfers To/From IBM System 38
Date: 10-JAN 13:10 Business Mac

We have numerous Macs in our offices across the country.  We also use a IBM
System 38 for our Data Processing needs (accounting, personnel, etc.).  We are
currently able to do processing from remote locations using MicroPhone which
will emulate a VT-100 terminal.

We now want to be able to upload and download text files to the System 38 but
are finding that there are essentially no transfer capabilities in the 38. (
Uploading currently requires that the screen be completely refreshed (15 sec.)
with each line transmitted.)  We currently can download files into an IBM PC
using a software product (PCPrint) on the 38 and having a board put in the PC
which allows it to emulate a 5250 terminal.  We do not know of a comparable
product for the Mac.

We will be transmitting the data to the 38 using modems and so we would like to
have XModem capabilities if possible to eliminate any line noise.

If anybody has had any experience in this area, it would be very much
appreciated.  If you feel that what you have done in the area is too
involved to post here, leave me a phone number (here or on private
mail) and I will contact you to discuss our situations further.

Regards, Brian

------------------------------

From: PEABO
Subject: RE: File Transfers To/From IBM System 38 (Re: Msg 16306)
Date: 12-JAN 11:59 Business Mac

Several years ago I was told that Apple was using System/38's in
house, and had implemented some kind of interface from them.  Maybe
from an Apple ][, with the S/38 emulating a virtual disk.  The person
I heard this from may or may not have known what he was talking about.

The kind of thing that Kinetics and Centram are doing with networking Macs to
other personal computers and to host computers (superminis/mainframes) looks
real interesting.

peter

------------------------------

From: BWD
Subject: RE: File Transfers To/From IBM System 38 (Re: Msg 16303)
Date: 12-JAN 20:57 Business Mac

You are exactly right when you say the problem is on the 38 end.  I guess I
didn't make that very clear in the original message.  I hope that this may
prompt someone else's thoughts.

Brian

------------------------------

From: BWD
Subject: RE: File Transfers To/From IBM System 38 (Re: Msg 16332)
Date: 12-JAN 21:06 Business Mac

Apple does have 38s in-house.  We contacted them to see what they are doing and
were told that they do not use if for downloading into the Macs.  We were
quickly set back ... "do not pass go...do not collect $200!".

Has anybody got any information on whether Centram and Kinetics will
do anything for the 38 line?

Brian

------------------------------

From: MACINTOUCH
Subject: RE: File Transfers To/From IBM System 38 (Re: Msg 16275)
Date: 13-JAN 01:49 Business Mac

KMW Systems was at the expo with System/3X terminal emulation and file transfer
software.  KMW Systems Corp., 8307 Highway 71 West, Austin, TX 78735;
512-288-1453.

Ric Ford

------------------------------

From: PEABO
Subject: RE: File Transfers To/From IBM System 38 (Re: Msg 16350)
Date: 13-JAN 13:14 Business Mac

You might want to see if the System/38 supports RJE via a 3770/3780.  Since
Remote Job Entry is a kind of file transfer, it might be much better to start
from there.  You would probably find that it was expecting an SDLC or Binary
Synchronous data link, for which you'd need either a protocol converter or some
custom serial devioce driver programming on the Mac end.

Perhaps the ideal solution would be an AppleTalk protocol converter (SCSI is
overkill in this situation, I think).

peter

------------------------------

From: PEABO
Subject: RE: imagewriter II problems (Re: Msg 16261)
Date: 10-JAN 13:19 Hardware & Peripherals

To fix, try putting some blank lines in the header of your printout if you can,
in front of anything that prints.

The reason this is a problem with the Imagewriter II is that the paper
path is longer in the IW II than it is in the IW I.  The idea Apple
had was to make the paper line up so that you can tear it off, but
this pushes the paper too far past the print head for it to be aligned
for starting the next page.  Therefore, when starting the next page,
they pull the paper a little way back in the reverse direction.  (And
when ending a page they push it out a little too far to get to the
tear point.)  The play in the tractor feed (actually a pusher, not a
tractor) causes some slippage that shows up as distorted printing near
the top of the page.

peter

------------------------------

From: PEABO
Subject: RE: New Products Introduced at Macworld (Re: Msg 16273)
Date: 10-JAN 13:28 Mousing Around

I haven't got a thorough list of 68020 upgrades, but I'll mention Levco's
Prodigy Prime, which is a configurable version of the Prodigy 4, Prodigy Plus.

The nice thing about the Prodigy Prime is that it has all the same blinding
speed of the Prodigy 4, but you can choose what parts of it you buy.  The basic
configuration contains a 68020 at 16MHz and one megabyte RAM.  You can upgrade
memory to 2 megs, 4 megs, or 8 megs.  If you go to 8 megs, you have to pop in a
MMU chip (not readily available yet).  The 68881 floating point is also
optional.  Dwayne Maxwell said they were working on software to give a hardware
assist to switcher by using the MMU to remap RAM very quickly during a context
switch, and that this would not only improve performance (true multi-tasking
looms closer) but also be an advantage to developers who want a protected code
space for debugging.

peter

------------------------------

From: MACINTOUCH
Subject: RE: New Products Introduced at Macworld (Re: Msg 16277)
Date: 13-JAN 01:21 Mousing Around

Wasn't the Prodigy Prime priced very low compared to the Prodigy 4, something
like $2000?

General Computer dropped the price of the HyperDrive 2000 to $2399.  They also
announced an FX/40 external (looks just like FX/20) for $1799.

Ric Ford

------------------------------

From: MALTINC
Subject: TML Pascal
Date: 10-JAN 17:24 Programming

help!!!!!  i am using TML Pascal 2.0 and a Mac+.  Anytime I compile anything I
get the application compiled then when I run it I get a blank screen.  (This
includes various examples and downloads.
         thanks if you can help ---

------------------------------

From: JIMH
Subject: RE: TML Pascal (Re: Msg 16281)
Date: 11-JAN 00:39 Programming

Are you adding the programs resources.  the examples require you to use rmaker
to compile resources.  jim

------------------------------

From: LOFTUSBECKER
Date: 11-JAN 15:01 Programming

Can you upload a very simple program that exhibits the problem?  E.g.,

PROGRAM Little;

Uses Macintf;

BEGIN

Writeln ('Hello, world!'); WHILE NOT BUTTON DO ;

END.

It might also help if you include the LINK file generated by the compiler.

- Lofty

------------------------------

From: ARIADNE
Subject: Database Appl
Date: 11-JAN 09:10 User Supported Software

Hello:
     I am an seasoned Macintosh programmer with a passion for audio
and video. I am considering writing a Mac shareware application for
database control of movies/videos/audios for video cassettes, laser
discs/CD, and other media.
     Would you be interested in such an application? If so, please
email me your comments about what features you would like to see. How
many laser disk/CD users would like the application to include a
driver for player control? For example, one could select the
chapters/tracks and order of play, etc. If you would like this, tell
me what kind of laser/CD player you have.
     If enough are interested, I should be able to have a first version in 2 to
3 months. I will make source code available so let me know which language you
prefer (Pascal or C). ----- Steve -----

------------------------------

From: NWOLF
Subject: RE: Database Appl (Re: Msg 16316)
Date: 11-JAN 23:41 User Supported Software

That's a worthy objective. I feel that if a good program shows up that
there will be plenty of users. And those users who feel there's good
value will naturally pay (in advance) for it. I like the shareware
concept. I am not a programmer, however. If I wa s, I don't think I
would rely on shareware in terms of revenue. I would either throw
something into the public domain or go commercial. I have a VCR and
thnking of buying another. When CD becomes an option for
video/computer data storage I'll prbably want one. The idea of the
automated house appeals to me. I like the idea of programming control
over the appliances which supposedly serve us program it with their
software, and then it takes over. Whenever you need the program
changed it's easy to do, otherwise it runs by itself. Neat idea. I
can't get over how conventional manufacturers of video recording
equipmnet haven't seen fit to include even the simplest of flexible
programming modules - at least until recently. And the expense???
Unbelievable. I should think it would be a simple and i nexpensive
matter to have a programmable recorder which could record anything you
wanted, at any time, for any length of time, any number of times, or
on any number of channels.  I think that's where the need is - and
certainly of interest to me. Plus being able to control other
associated equipment siumultaneously.

------------------------------

From: JRMUSIC
Subject: lynx trackball
Date: 11-JAN 23:34 Hardware & Peripherals

Has anyone checked out the Lynx Quad Trackball ?  I was about to get the
MacTurbo Touch from Assimilation, but then I stumbled across an ad in the
Macazine for the Lynx. The locking feature seems useful. Any comments?  thanks
Jeremy.

------------------------------

From: BRUSSES
Subject: DragGrayRgn and Scrolling
Date: 11-JAN 20:27 Current Discussions

    I'm trying to utilize DragGrayRgn to drag a rectangular  object up and down
within a window.  When I drag the rectangle off the top, or bottom  of  the
application, I'd like my  view to  scroll so that I can move  the  rectangle
onto part of the view  which  was  not previously visible.

    I have the  scrolling working, mainly by  setting the limit and slop
parameters  of DragGrayRgn  to encompass the overall  height of my view, which
is larger  than the height of my window.  By  setting these parameters  to the
size of the overall  view, I get  the  rectangle to follow me when I scroll off
the window.  However, when I scroll of the top, or bottom, my  outline is drawn
all over the window.  I know that this  is  happening  because of ScrollRect
blindly copying  bits, but I have no  idea how  to  eliminate  this problem.
Could any of you offer some suggestions on  what to do to correct this?  I've
been working on this for a week now, and I'm no further along than when I
started.

Thanks!

Bob

------------------------------

From: MACLAIRD
Subject: RE: DragGrayRgn and Scrolling (Re: Msg 1151)
Date: 14-JAN 09:54 Current Discussions

Well, if you know what is in the window, that seems like a reasonable
way to do it - but it will mean a bit of blitting (which will have
trouble when the screen has a different resolution/size/bitmap
location).  You have to save what is under the region and draw over -
and then restore as the image is moved.

[comments about custom hardware and sprites deleted]

Laird

------------------------------

From: JEFFS
Subject: Telescape-PRO VT100
Date: 12-JAN 15:06 Telecommunicating

I just bought Telescape-PRO VT100 for work because I needed 9600 baud without
flow control to use Emacs.  I have the following problems:
       1. I can't get it to generate ^@ (NULL) or ^^ without having to resort to
       the softkeys menu.  The ^@ is a MAJOR problem since it is necessary to
       use Emacs with.  Neither Cmd-SPACE (which works in all other terminal
       emulators I've tried) nor Cmd-@ work.
       2. I *really* would like to be able to select text off the screen for
       copy and paste.
       3. Being able to record text as it arrives or scrolls off the top would
       be nice too.

                                               Jeff

------------------------------

From: MACINTOUCH
Subject: RE: Database program
Date: 13-JAN 00:56 Network Digests

to: Wahl.ES@Xerox.COM
Subject: Database program

Lisa,

Most Mac database programs can "export" data to a "text" file, where it
contains just text and tabs.  That file is then easily formatted in a word
processor, and can be "placed" into a PageMaker document.

Ric Ford

------------------------------

From: MACINTOUCH
Subject: RE: looking for information on connecting typewriters ...
Date: 13-JAN 00:56 Network Digests

to: whitaker@eniac.seas.upenn.edu (Blair Whitaker)
Subject: looking for information on connecting typewriters and
Subject: daisywheels to mac+

Microsoft Word has drivers for typewriters and other printers.  I've heard
in the past that this is one of the best ways of using a non-Mac printer
successfully.

Ric Ford

------------------------------

From: PEABO
Date: 13-JAN 13:24 Network Digests

More for:  whitaker@eniac.seas.upenn.edu (Blair Whitaker)

The Microsoft Port Enhancer has been discontinued by Microsoft and SoftStyle is
picking it up.  SoftStyle has numerous printer drivers available.

peter                          "In any context, half of all references
PEABO @ DELPHI                  are local and half are global."

------------------------------

From: MACINTOUCH
Subject: RE: Printer Spooling w/Mac+
Date: 13-JAN 01:16 Network Digests

to: chris@umbc3.UMD.EDU (Chris Schanzle)
Subject: Printer Spooling w/Mac+

You should probably take a look at SuperMac's spoolers.  I think they're
faster than some of the others.

Ric Ford

------------------------------

From: MACINTOUCH
Subject: RE: Surge Suppressors
Date: 13-JAN 01:16 Network Digests

To: hans@Shasta.STANFORD.EDU (Hans Mulder)
Subject: Surge Suppressors

I have a feeling that if you've really got a power problem, it's more
likely a power sag than a power surge and that a surge protector will do
little more than put a few $$ in the dealer's pocket.  I had a potential
problem that was probably similar to yours, and went through a lot of grief,
including buying a $200 "line conditioner" (a super surge protector) which
was obnoxiously loud and aggravated the condition.  I concluded only a UPS
would solve the problem (maybe not even that) and bypassed it by finding an
independent circuit for the Mac and hard disk.

Ric Ford

------------------------------

From: MACINTOUCH
Subject: RE: Re: MacWorld Expo
Date: 13-JAN 10:22 Network Digests

to: starkweather.pa@Xerox.COM
Subject: Re: MacWorld Expo

Thanks for a good laugh.  The Mac is the most useful system I've seen for a
wide variety of real-world tasks, including some that mainframes can't handle,
and many which the IBM PC handles poorly.  Of course there are other tasks
which the PC handles better, or more cheaply at the moment.  Hosting a bulletin
board system comes to mind.  I see a tremendous increase in acceptance of the
Macintosh in small business, large business, education, and other environments.
The screen is no tinier than the very-popular Compaq's, and a lot higher in
resolution.  Color isn't too useful for a lot of applications, especially
not at the price and resolution.

"If an illustrator for the PC comes along" - why are you stretching so hard
trying to pull the PC up to the level of a Macintosh?  Feeling pressed by
PostScript, the competitor to Xerox's page description language?

Ric Ford, "MacInTouch" newsletter

------------------------------

From: MOUSEKETEER
Subject: RE: bargain WP offer for Mac for $29.00?
Date: 13-JAN 21:31 Network Digests

To: William L. Rupp <nosc!rupp@cod.nosc.arpa>
Subject: bargain WP offer for Mac for $29.00?  I am imagining this or
Subject: is it real

Hi Bill,

   That would be Word Handler, published by Advanced Logic Systems, Inc.,
1283 Reamwood Ave., Sunnyvale, CA 94089 (408) 747-1988.
   They have run ads in most Mac publications, offering a copy of the $79.95
program at $29.95 if you send in your original MacWrite disk with the order.
They also have offered to return your MacWrite disk if you return Word Handler
and a small "shipping and handling charge". For several months, however, the
ad neglected to mention that that "small" charge was $25, and many folks were
quite upset with the company upon learning of same (ya, a lot of people wanted
MacWrite back after trying Word Handler).
   To be fair, the new ads for the program note the $25 fee. And the most
glaring of "Word Mangler"'s faults have been corrected, though I have yet to
see a review that gave it more than a mediocre rating.

   So, ya, the offer is real, in a way. "Great offer" maybe not, but an offer
nonetheless. If you take them up on it, I have a bridge up in a populous
New England borough I'd like you to see.....grin.

   Alf

------------------------------

From: MOUSEKETEER
Subject: RE: Votes sought for 'most overrated'
Date: 13-JAN 21:31 Network Digests

TO: jww@sdcsvax.ucsd.edu (Joel West)
Subject: Votes sought for 'most overrated'

   1. Hardware: Cauzin SoftStrip System
   2. Software: MacDraw
   3. Company: Living Videotext
   4. Individual: Doug Clapp
   5. Other: CashWeServe
   6. Grand prize: Mouseketeer Newsletter (is this a cash prize???)
   7. Vaporware: Word Tools

   Alf

------------------------------

From: DDUNHAM
Date: 14-JAN 22:48 Network Digests

1) Software Product: MORE
2) Hardware Product: 80386
3) Company: Microsoft
4) Individual: John Dvorak
5) Other: The phrase "desktop publishing"
6) Grand prize: Microsoft
7) Vaporware hall of fame: MultiWrite aka MindWrite aka Prewriter

(signed) David Dunham

------------------------------

From: DDUNHAM
Subject: New Acta version
Date: 13-JAN 22:39 Business Mac

Symmetry has released the latest upgrade to my Acta outline processor desk
accessory, version 1.2.  New features include:

 * Print to LaserWriter and ImageWriter
 * New command
 * Collapse Family command
 * Split topics at insertion point
 * "Smart Paste" creates outlines from clipboard text

The update is free, and Symmetry should be sending a mailing to registered
owners as soon as they get caught up after the show.

------------------------------

From: MADMACS
Subject: Internet mail utility for Appletalk
Date: 14-JAN 00:42 Business Mac

I have been trying out the demo of the Internet mail utility called
InterMail.  I am very impressed.  We have 10 Macs running on the demo
now and it seems to work with nearly everything and without a hitch.
It is easy to install and easy to maintain.  What is really impressive
to me is the window managment-- lots of windows are coming an going
and it keeps track of everything and doesn't seem to foul up the
application underneath.  (It is a DA.) But what do you know of the
company?  Is this the best mail utility around or what would you
recommend?  Where can we get a good price? Thanks. -Doug (MADMACS)

------------------------------

From: JEFFS
Subject: RE: Internet mail utility for Appletalk (Re: Msg 16395)
Date: 14-JAN 07:09 Business Mac

I agree.  We have it where I work (70+ macs) and will probably use it as our
standard mailer.  They plan on introducing an IBM PC version (we have about 60
of those too :-() and a VAX/VMS version (we have 10 of those.)  We also put up
AlisaTalk which seems to do what it is supposed to do (volume server and LW
spooler.)  We had a couple strange problems putting up AlisaTalk (turned out to
be zone name conflicts with our Hayes InterBridge box) and they gave EXCELLENT
customer service trying to track down the problem.

When we get TOPS (on order), the *real* InterMail (RSN they say), and the
release AlisaTalk, I expect to have one of the "showcase" Mac workplaces on the
east coast :-).  BTW, for those of you in the CT area: Apple is giving a seminar
on Mac to other machine communications the first week of February. If you
haven't heard about it from your Apple rep, you might want to give him or her a
call.

                                               Jeff

------------------------------

From: DDUNHAM
Subject: BCS Shareware Awards
Date: 14-JAN 04:07 MUGS Online

Since I haven't seen it announced here yet, the Boston Computer
Society gave its semi-annual shareware awards, in a dinner at Sam's
Grill (former awardees, including Donald Brown and David Dunham, were
also invited) during MacWorld Expo.

The Grand Prize winner, elected by BCS*Mac membership, was Charles
Maurer, author of the BostonII font.  Other winners were Yves
Lempereur (BinHex, MCS), Michael Casteel (Klondike, Canfield), John
Raymonds (Dungeon of Doom), and Jan Eugenides (Oasis).

Congratulations, guys!

End of Delphi Mac Digest
-------