[mod.mac] INFO-MAC Digest V5 #40

INFO-MAC@SUMEX-AIM.STANFORD.EDU.UUCP (01/19/87)

INFO-MAC Digest          Sunday, 18 Jan 1987       Volume 5 : Issue 40

Today's Topics:
                Can a screen inch be a laserwriter inch?
                              Shutdown hook
                             Re: APDA & book
             RE: What bugs you about the Mac user interface
             Programming Language Update from Macworld Expo
                    MacApp update from Macworld Expo
                       Dungeon of Doom Version 4.0
        Macput updated for multiple file transfers with VersaTerm
                                TeXtures
                               Icon Hacker
                        A few responses and a tip
                         Re: Laserwriter prints
                            Re: MacWorld Expo
                             68020 vs 80386
              Looking for help in Engineering applications
                cable for mac+ to ventel 2400 baud modem?
                     Mac+ DIN8 to Mac DB9 connector
                    Need Unix tty --> AppleTalk hack
                         Delphi Mac Digest V3 #4
                         Delphi Mac Digest V3 #5
                         Usenet Mac Digest V3 #4
                         Usenet Mac Digest V3 #5

Date: Thu, 15 Jan 87 09:34:14 PST
From: tuttle@ernie.Berkeley.EDU (Mark S. Tuttle)
Subject: Can a screen inch be a laserwriter inch?

Silly me.  I thought Mac+ + Laserwriter+ would be different than all the other
"photo-typesetters" I've used, i.e. where beautification takes longer than
writing.

To whit: I am preparing camera ready copy with MacWrite (I know, I know),
the kind where the page must be exactly 7" wide, etc.  Using the MacWrite
rulers I got all this laid out perfectly on the first try, at least on my
imagewrite I.  I used, as I was instructed by my friend with the laserwriter+,
the "Times" font, which looks too small (clue?) on the screen, but great
coming out of the laserwriter.

Of course, when I ran my paper off on the laserwriter everything was too big --
a 3 5/16" column was more like ~4", etc.  Using the reduction feature of
the laserprinter driver we tried 90% and it is close to the right thing, though
I'm not sure the vertical spacing did the right thing.

Thus, is there any way I can compose (using MacWrite, I'm waiting for my Word
3.0 upgrade) using my mac+ and imagewriter I, and have an inch be an inch
on the laserwriter.  If it wants to rejustify the text, that's fine. I just
want the absolute margin control.  Suggestions or "work-arounds" appreciated.

The laserwriter did a wonderful job with my Excel Charts and my StatView512+
scattergrams and regression lines, etc.

Thanks in advance,
-- Mark Tuttle
tuttle@ernie.berkeley.edu
Computer Science Div - EECS, UCB
Medical Information Science, UCSF

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 15 Jan 87 17:54:12 est
From: decvax!wang!ephraim@decwrl.DEC.COM
Subject: Shutdown hook

In info-mac v3#38, Godfrey DiGiorgi asks for a shutdown hook, and
points out that switcher (apparently) uses such a thing.
Alas, it's an illusion.  It's the author of Finder that changes
the ShutDown menu item when Switcher is installed.
Switcher doesn't do anything but sit there.

I asked Apple about a shutdown hook for device drivers, so that
hard disks could park their heads.  Their reply was "maybe next
year."  (That's this year, now, as it was October when I asked.)
I'd be happy if the system would just *close* all the
device drivers before shutting down, but it doesn't even do that.

Ephraim Vishniac
decvax!wanginst!wang!ephraim

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 15 Jan 87 19:58:34 PST
From: wetter@tybalt.caltech.edu (Pierce T. Wetter)
Subject: Re: APDA & book

     I joined apda, got my book and my membership card. BUT NOT IN THAT ORDER.
After I had been a member for about a month APDA sent me a card saying they were
out of stock for the book. (Not surprising.) Two months ensued and then the book
arrived. If you havn't gotten your book yet just be patient, its probably coming
    Pierce Wetter
--
Keep you Eye on the Ball,
Your Shoulder to the Wheel,

wetter@tybalt.caltech.edu

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 13 Jan 87 13:29 CDT
From: "1208::SEABAUGH%ti-eg.csnet"@RELAY.CS.NET
Subject: RE: What bugs you about the Mac user interface

user interface?

One particularly useful feature would be a menu selection to allow
a file to be dumped to the screen, not for word processing, just
for viewing.  Control-Q and Control-S could be used for stopping
and continuing.  Don't worry about formating; list the file in ascii
with reasonable symbols substituted for control characters.  This
procedure should be defaulted to whenever an application cannot be
found for the item.  Bitmaps might be singled out and dumped to the
screen.  A keystroke or mouse click would return to the desktop.

More generally a user-interface should not order you around.  Warning
messages which won't let you continue until you have clicked in an 'ok'
box are humiliating and annoying.  Maybe it's not ok!  Default procedures
could be defined in many cases, which, while they may not do exactly
what you want, will give you immediate information (perhaps as much
as you need).  For those warnings where a default procedure cannot be
defined, let any mouse or keystroke event remove the warning.

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 17 Jan 87 12:09:27 pst
From: gould9!joel@nosc.ARPA (Joel West @ Western Software Technology)
Subject: Programming Language Update from Macworld Expo

Although this is a week late, I hadn't seen it anywhere, so I'm
going to post my annual state-of-the-languages report from San
Francisco.  (MacApp is covered in a separate article.)

Booths
	TML, Consulair, Think, Borland, ExperTelligence, APDA

Others
	Apple (seminars), ICOM (around), Jasik (mooching off MacTutor)

Now the news:

MPW 1.0 is out, those who have betas should by now have near-final
manuals.  Final 1.0 manuals (with index) will be available March 1,
and at that time, prices will go up to $150 for MPW, $125 each for
Pascal and C, $100 for MacApp.  Beta customers will be able to buy
the final manuals for a "nominal" charge.

MPW is on track but MacApp is several months behind.  An alpha of
MPW 2.0 was demoed, the main difference was the "markers" menu from
the Lisa Workshop.  2.0 will include 68020/68881 compiler options.

On other fronts, Borland and Think were demonstrating their products.
Lightspeed Pascal will become more MPW Pascal-compatible although
100% compatibility is not a goal, and C/Pascal compatibility is not
a high priority.

TML says 3.0 is due after the IIgs product is out.  I can't find it
in my notes, but I think 3.0 is supposed to be MacApp compatible.
Bill Duvall at Consulair feels real stomped on by the big foot of MPW.

Darin Adler of ICOM says a new product is under development, it sounded
like it was due in the 2nd quarter.  Steve Jasik was showing his
debugger, being his customary polite self; I didn't see a user manual,
so, after MacNosy 1.0 and 2.0, it's of no interest to me.

ExperTelligence said their ExperCommon Lisp is $700 (show special?) and
is a compiled Common Lisp that produces fast stand-alone applications.
Most fascinating was 'Interface Builder' ($300), a front-end to their
Lisp, in which you draw your dialogs and controls with their program,
add a few routine names for each control and a page of code, and you
interactively have what built would take say 4-5 pages of MacApp source.
(If I had time to learn Lisp this year, it would be #1 on my list
of development tools).  A Lightspeed C version is reportedly planned.

APDA may focus on becoming a professional association. They have a mix
of big guys and little guys, the little want cheap products, the big
guys want fast delivery.  Perhaps 40% of members have no company or a
1-2 person company.  40% also have MS-DOS machines, 60% with Macs.

Scott Knaster basically reiterated Tech Note #2, follow top-level
interfaces, many things "almost guaranteed to change."  The QD global
screenBits.bounds got mentioned several times, although he admitted
that it was reasonable for a programmer to assume a rectilinear
display (even if an unnamed product violates this rule.)

	Joel West			ihnp4!gould9!joel
	Western Software Technology	joel%gould9.uucp@NOSC.ARPA

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 17 Jan 87 12:10:49 pst
From: gould9!joel@nosc.ARPA (Joel West @ Western Software Technology)
Subject: MacApp update from Macworld Expo

The MacApp Developer's Association met for the second time.  (No
polo shirts this time, darn!)  TEView is the biggest improvement
since 1.0b2; most of the rest of the time was providing a complete
(application-quality) memory management system.  If you're using
MPW Pascal {$LOAD} directives, the biggest bottleneck right now
is the link.

The developer's association will be distributing source code disks
(including Schmucker's QuadWorld, since the Hayden disk distribution
died when Hayden was bought).  Closing date will be 6/87 for a disk
available at Boston.  Schmucker is working on a new example
for Bix subscribers to watch and make suggestions, and he also is on
Genie.  The 2 half-day course was very successful (60+ people) and
probably will be repeated in Boston.

Harvey Alcabes (Apple's product manager) asked/offered ideas on new
building blocks for MacApp, and took a poll of the audience.  Among
the ideas considered:
	Full AppleTalk support (definite)
	Document views > 65536 x 65536 pixels
	UDialog simplified (don't use CatViews)
	TextEdit > 32,000 chars (75% said yes)
	Text with formatting (75% said yes)
	Serial (50%)
	MacPaint bitmap views (?)
	SCSI (little interest)

There was a suggestion that the MADA could help out by solving
some of the simpler areas, such as better collections.

C++ is no longer "C+-" but "minimal C++".  Apple is working on it
but since it's research, no guarantee as to when it will be out.
This seems to be their #1 request.

Larry Tesler, Apple VP for Advanced Technology, gave a pep talk
about making object-oriented languages a reality.  He hinted
Apple was doing other things in this area he couldn't announce.
Also suggested that MacApp would be important for IIgs
and unannounced Macintosh products.

Estimates are that only 50 to 100 companies (or individuals) are using
MacApp, and only 10 to 15 for substantial projects.  MacApp is being
used by Apple for small projects in-house.

Date: Mon, 12 Jan 87 15:35:51 PST
From: David Gelphman <daveg%slacvm.bitnet@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Dungeon of Doom Version 4.0
Date: 11 Jan 87 13:00:05 GMT
Sender: root@felix.UUCP

[ from usenet news ]

This is part one of five of Dungeon of Doom version 4.0.
It is shareware for $25.00 and is written in Lightspeed C.
Enjoy!

[ archived as

[SUMEX-AIM.Stanford.EDU]<INFO-MAC>GAME-DUNGEON-OF-DOOM-40-PART1.HQX
[SUMEX-AIM.Stanford.EDU]<INFO-MAC>GAME-DUNGEON-OF-DOOM-40-PART2.HQX
[SUMEX-AIM.Stanford.EDU]<INFO-MAC>GAME-DUNGEON-OF-DOOM-40-PART3.HQX
[SUMEX-AIM.Stanford.EDU]<INFO-MAC>GAME-DUNGEON-OF-DOOM-40-PART4.HQX
[SUMEX-AIM.Stanford.EDU]<INFO-MAC>GAME-DUNGEON-OF-DOOM-40-PART5.HQX

DAVEG
]

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 15 Jan 87 12:32:04 PST
From: <DAVEG@slacvm.bitnet>
Subject: Macput updated for multiple file transfers with VersaTerm

     A new improved VersaTerm (3.0) has been released and it now has a number
of significant features. One new item is that it can now do multiple file
downloads and uploads automatically using KERMIT or XMODEM. Lonnie Abelbeck,
author of VersaTerm has provided the source for a new improved MACGET which
will work with VersaTerm to transfer multiple files. I'm posting this
new Macget as well as a 'differ' file which indicates the differences between
the 'standard' macget and this posting for those who may have otherwise
modified macget in other ways.
David Gelphman                  BITNET address: DAVEG@SLACVM
Bin #88 SLAC                    ARPANET address:  DAVEG@SLACVM.BITNET
Stanford, Calif. 94305          UUCP address: ...psuvax1!daveg%slacvm.bitnet
415-854-3300 x2538
usual disclaimer #432 applies: my employer apologies for the fact
that I have access to this net.

[ archived as

[SUMEX-AIM.Stanford.EDU]<INFO-MAC>MACGET-MULTIFILE.C
[SUMEX-AIM.Stanford.EDU]<INFO-MAC>MACGET-MULTIFILE.DIFF

DAVEG
]

------------------------------

Date: 15 Jan 87 19:29:00 EST
From: Richard Zaccone  <ZACCONE%BUCKNELL.BITNET@WISCVM.WISC.EDU>
Subject: TeXtures

 My major complaint with TeXtures has also been the fonts.  I've been
 using TeXtures with LaTeX, and it is common for LaTeX to want to use an
 18 pt font for a title or section heading.  So far, the output produced
 by TeXtures has not been very good when printing these larger fonts.
 In fact, the larger fonts look terrible.  Of course I could hack up
 LaTeX so that it uses the Laserwriter fonts whenever it needs 18 pt or
 22pt, but after paying $500 for TeXtures, I expect *all* fonts to look
 great.

 These comments are based on version .95c of TeXtures.  I haven't seen
 the output produce by .95f yet.

 Rick Zaccone
 zaccone@bucknell.bitnet

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 13 Jan 87 16:09 EST
From: Joe Mastroianni <JDM%SMVL%rca.com@RELAY.CS.NET>
Subject: Icon Hacker

    Gee,
         Im sorry, im guilty of two evil things.
    These pertain to the version of Icon Hacker posted here. I need
to re-post it, taking a little more time to be civil in the process.

 1) The documentation to Icon Hacker is in MacWrite 2.2 "Entire Document"
    format. However, the file type is set to TEXT instead of WORD. This
    is because I used this file to test out my attribute changer (
    inside Icon Hacker), and packed it instead of the unhacked file.

    If you are adventure-ish type, you can change the TEXT in the
    file type field to WORD (using resedit, fedit, File Hacker, or
    Icon Hacker) and all will be well.

 2) Icon Hacker is shareware. I wanted to make sure my copyright
    notice would not be removed by non-registered users. So I
    put a checker in there that makes sure the notice isnt
    tampered with.

    However, even though I used NO 128K ROM SPECIFIC calls in the
    program, users with 64K ROMS will fail my checker. I dont know
    why. Im sorry. I dont have a Mac with 64K ROMS to do my Beta Testing
    on.

  I will do two things in response to the piles of mail I have been getting:
   1) I will pack the CORRECT UNHACKED documentation along with
   2) a recompiled version of Icon Hacker with the copyright checker
      removed.
   These I will post to Info-Mac as quickly as is reasonable for someone
in my condition (half-crazed). I promise to be good in the future.
                           Joe

------------------------------

Date: 15 Jan 87 13:41 EST
From: HALLETT JEFFREY A            <HALLETT@ge-crd.arpa>
Subject: A few responses and a tip

   I'd like to respond to a few things from vol. 5 #39 and offer a tip.

1.  Many people here have experienced severe data loss from their external
drives.  The major reason is that they have been keeping them on the left side
of the Macintosh housing.  DO NOT store your external drive either on the left
side or on top of your Mac.  The power supply is on the left side and it
gets too hot on top.  (This goes for Harddisks too).

2.  To "Lisa" who needed a Laserwriter.  Send me a disk and I'll only ask fro
the cost of the paper back if it is too large.  REspond to "hallett@ge-crd.arpa"if interested.  (I tried to mail to her directly, but couldn't get a path.)

3.  How compatible is a Jasmine 20 with the SCSI port offered with the Levco
memory upgrades?  Some one told me once that the SCSI port on Levco's Monster
Mac upgrades is not a "true" SCSI port; it only mimics the protocol used by
some SCSI drives.  True?  False?

JAH

------------------------------

Date: 15 Jan 1987 11:27:50 PST
Subject: Re: Laserwriter prints
From: Richard Gillmann <GILLMANN@C.ISI.EDU>

There's a place in Marina del Rey called Alphagraphics.  They are some
kind of new instant printer.  The have four Mac+ workstations, a
Laserwriter, and some kind of monster photocopier.  I've been able to
go in with a Mac disk, have it Laserprinted and duplicated, all
in just a few minutes while I wait.  This is some kind of franchise
too, so there may be others around that are closer to you.  They
say soon they will have modem input too, which will be fantastic.
They charge $2 a page for Velox laser printing, $12 an hour to use]
their Mac+ workstations, and the usual rates for photocopying.  Not
cheap, but very fast and handy, in my opinion.

Richard Gillmann

------------------------------

From: korn%cory.Berkeley.EDU@berkeley.edu (Peter "Arrgh" Korn)
Subject: Re: MacWorld Expo
Date: Thu, 15 Jan 87 00:33:59 PST

Please, PLEASE, let's not let a good desktop publishing forum degenerate
into a Mac vs. Atari vs. PC vs. xxx debate/mud-slinging match.

EVERY machine has it's strengths and weaknesses.  Some are better
suited to desktop publishing than others (an intel 8088 just doesn't
cut it, I think we'll all agree).  Some are better positioned in
the business community than others (it's very hard to compare to
the installed user base of MS-Dos machiens).

BUT...  what does any of this have to do with the purpose of this
forum?  Let's return to discussions of desktop publishing, ok?

Peter

P.S.  folks, it's 'mac', or 'Mac'.  But it's not 'MAC'.

------------------------------

Date: 16 Jan 87 11:40:00 EST
From: <bouldin@ceee-sed>
Subject: 68020 vs 80386

Given the hype in Infoworld and other big name media it is interesting
to get some actual numbers for 68020 vs 80386 performance in a real world
application. The standard benchmark for number crunching is a floating point
benchmark called a whetstone. Like all benchmarks, this does not test
every feature of a chip, and it tests a compiler along with the chip.
However, the benchmark has been run on almost every large, and many small,
computers. Since I have just seen the first quoted whetstone result on
the Compaq 386, I thought it would be useful to summarize some numbers
here.

Computer/Compiler		Single Prec. Whetstones (kilo-whets)

Vax 11-780/ VMS Fortran(1)			1050
Mac+/Absoft Macfortran	(2)		  	  41
Mac+/Novy 020/881 upgrade(3)		 	 214
Mac+/Prodiy 4 upgrade	(4)		 	 500
Compaq 386/ Lahey Fortran (5)		 	 232
Compaq deskpro 286/Lahey(6)		  	  98

Comments on the hardware/software:

(1) Unloaded Vax 11-780 with VMS 4.x and latest release of the Fortran
compiler.

(2) Standard Macintosh with Absoft/Microsoft Compiler.

(3) Mac+ upgraded with Novy 68020/881 board, running Absoft MacFortran 020
compiler. Clockrate is still 8 Mhz and data path is still 16 bits.

(4) Mac+ upgraded with Prodigy 4 running Absoft MacFortran 020 compiler.
Clockrate is 16 Mhz and data path is 32 bit. The factor of 2 over the Novy
board is from clockrate increase and bus bandwidth. Except for the Mac's
infamous "video refresh through the cpu" this benchmark would be closer to
750K whetstones. The Prodigy Prime and the Ryad 020/881 upgrades should
provide essentially the same performance.

(5) Compaq 386. Uses 16 Mhz 80386 with harware floating point supplied by
a 12 Mhz 80287, since there is, as yet, no available 80387. Lahey Fortran
compiler.

(6) Compaq Deskpro 286, 80286/80287 running at 8 Mhz. Lahey Fortran
Compiler.

These results show pretty clearly the problems of the 80386 in the present
MS-DOS environment. Despite the hype in the popular press the 80386
machines are only giving (roughly) a clockrate improvement over 80286 or
8086 machines. Some improvement will follow when 80386 specific compilers
and software start to appear, but it is doubtful that this will make up
the appoximate factor of 2 speed advantage of the 68020/881. Ironicallly,
after years of dominance by the 8087 and 80287 it now appears that
Motorola has a solid advantage in floating point chips with the 68881.

The most interesting part of the benchmarks is to see how close we really
are to providing true Vax level performance from a cheap desktop machine.
By the end of this year, upgrade Macs will likely match or exceed VAX 780
performance.

Here is the code for the whetstone benchmark in Absoft Fortran
for the Mac. I think that, except for the routine that reads the time from
the system that this will port to almost any fortran environment.

[ archived as

[SUMEX-AIM.Stanford.EDU]<INFO-MAC>WHETSTONE-BENCHMARK.FORTRAN

DAVEG
]

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 15 Jan 87 02:03:59 PST
From: <CVRRTAA@technion.bitnet>
Subject: Looking for help in Engineering applications

I am a new Mac owner, my main fields of interest are Petroleum Engineering, Flo
w in Porous Media and fluid mechanics. In the  last few months I had the chance
 to see a lot of application for the mac. However, these had nothing to do with
 Engineering in my fields of interest. Since i read in few of your INFO-MAC tha
t the Macintosh is more Engineering oriented than the IBM PC, I wonder where ca
n I find information about Engineering applications for the Mac. I know that St
anford University has the best Petroleum Eng. School in the world and since you
 are also located in Stanford I hope some help might come from you.

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 15 Jan 87 23:42:30 PST
From: markt%cogsci.Berkeley.EDU@berkeley.edu (Mark Turner)
Subject: cable for mac+ to ventel 2400 baud modem?

Where in the San Francisco Bay Area, or from what mail order
house, can I get a cable to hook a ventel 2400 baud modem to
a mac+ ??
I think i need a male RS232 end and a a male circular 8-pin end.
Thank you.
markt@cogsci.berkeley.edu

[ note from moderator:  ComputerWare in Palo Alto sells all sorts of adapter
cables. The 8pin to modem connector is $15. Their numbers for mail order are
800-323-1133 in CA   and 800-235-1155 in the rest of the US.  DAVEG ]16-Jan-87 15:00:25-PST,948;000000000001

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 16 Jan 87 14:56:21 PST
From: PUGH%CCC.MFENET@nmfecc.arpa
Subject: Mac+ DIN8 to Mac DB9 connector

One thing I forgot to mention about the MacWorld Expo was that Andy Hertzfeld
showed me a bit of hardware that Thunderware was going to be releasing.  It is
a connector that will siphon power from your disk drive port to power an old
style DB9 connector.  It consists of a DB25 on one side with a DB25 and a DB9
on the other and a DIN8 on a short cable to plug into one of the Mac+ serial
ports.  It will eliminate the need for a transformer for such things as the
Thunderscanner and MacNifty sound digitizer.

Jon

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 16 Jan 87 11:35:34 CST
From: pat@a.cs.uiuc.edu (Pat Kane)
Subject: Need Unix tty --> AppleTalk hack

Hi Macs,

	A few months ago I saw a program fly by on either
infomac or usenet that took  input from a Mac's serial line and sent it
to the appletalk port... handy for routing  postscript  files from a
Unix host to an Apple LaserWriter.  I now need the code for a demo.
Do you have a pointer to it?

Pat Kane,  Uo'I, Urbana IL

------------------------------

Date: 17 Jan 87 18:37:25 EST
From: Jeffrey Shulman <SHULMAN@RED.RUTGERS.EDU>
Subject: Delphi Mac Digest V3 #4

Delphi Mac Digest        Saturday, 17 January 1987     Volume 3 : Issue 4

Today's Topics:
     File Transfers To/From IBM System 38 (6 messages)
     RE: imagewriter II problems
     RE: New Products Introduced at Macworld (2 messages)
     TML Pascal (3 messages)
     Database Appl (2 messages)
     lynx trackball
     DragGrayRgn and Scrolling (2 messages)
     Telescape-PRO VT100
     RE: Database program
     RE: looking for information on connecting typewriters ... (2 messages)
     RE: Printer Spooling w/Mac+
     RE: Surge Suppressors
     RE: Re: MacWorld Expo
     RE: bargain WP offer for Mac for $29.00?
     RE: Votes sought for 'most overrated' (2 messages)
     New Acta version
     Internet mail utility for Appletalk (2 messages)
     BCS Shareware Awards

[ archived as

[SUMEX-AIM.Stanford.EDU]<INFO-MAC>DELPHIV3-4.ARC

DAVEG
]

------------------------------

Date: 17 Jan 87 18:43:00 EST
From: Jeffrey Shulman <SHULMAN@RED.RUTGERS.EDU>
Subject: Delphi Mac Digest V3 #5

Delphi Mac Digest        Saturday, 17 January 1987     Volume 3 : Issue 5

Today's Topics:
     RE: MacWorld expo note
     SuperLaserSpool for DataFrames
     Cricket Draw (4 messages)
     shut down hook (4 messages)
     Better screen fonts
     LaserWriter labels (2 messages)
     Stock Market (2 messages)
     Re: Program control of the MacPlus disk
     OS9
     trap patches (14 messages)
     Animal, Vegetable, Mineral? (2 messages)
     ListMgr/TextEdit Data  >32k (2 messages)
     RE: Pictures in Word
     RE: downloading postscript
     Re: Excel templates
     Re: mac cooling

[ archived as

[SUMEX-AIM.Stanford.EDU]<INFO-MAC>DELPHIV3-5.ARC

DAVEG
]

------------------------------

Date: 17 Jan 87 18:58:12 EST
From: Jeffrey Shulman <SHULMAN@RED.RUTGERS.EDU>
Subject: Usenet Mac Digest V3 #4

Usenet Mac Digest        Saturday, 17 January 1987     Volume 3 : Issue 4

Today's Topics:
     Rom Debugger -> Finder
     QUED 1.3
     Re: Surge Suppressors
     Re: Rom Debugger -> Finder
     Hard disks
     Re: Should 64K ROMs be supported?
     YAFQ (Yet Another FORTRAN Query)
     Mac Serial Number
     ChipWits availability
     Finder 5.4a2 questions
     Print-Preview
     Saviour
     More MacinTalk info
     Andy - Servant
     Re: LSC 1.02 Interfaces
     Wanted: International Phonetic Alphabet for Mac/Laserwriter or QMS
     That rascally Macsbug
     Re: Request C program to drive Macintalk
     LaserWriter in Executive
     HalfTone
     Icons, Bundles, and Friendly Applications
     Setting Laserwriter Linewidth
     Re: Surge Suppressors
     Information, please.
     Drivers with Lightspeed Pascal
     Typing tutors for Mac

[ archived as

[SUMEX-AIM.Stanford.EDU]<INFO-MAC>USENETV3-4.ARC

DAVEG
]

------------------------------

Date: 17 Jan 87 19:05:11 EST
From: Jeffrey Shulman <SHULMAN@RED.RUTGERS.EDU>
Subject: Usenet Mac Digest V3 #5

Usenet Mac Digest        Saturday, 17 January 1987     Volume 3 : Issue 5

Today's Topics:
     MS Word 3.0 delayed
     Re: Wanted: International Phonetic Alphabet for Mac/Laserwriter or QMS
     Re: YAFQ (Yet Another FORTRAN Query)
     Macintosh 100 (Delphi digest V3, #2)
     Re: Information, please.
     Sample Macintalk program (Lightspeed C)
     Please explain TextEdit feature...
     Re: Rom Debugger -> Finder
     _launch
     Mac+ to DMP 105 Printer or Other Prinerters???? HELP!!!!
     resources in other files in the blessed folder
     Bengali Font
     Re: Information, please.
     Re: resources in other files in the blessed folder
     IBM PC -> Imagewriter
     Re: Sample Macintalk program (Lightspeed C)
     Re: Hard disks
     Re: MacDraw file format?
     Aztec C upgrade
     Porting IBM PC Applications
     AppleTalk, ATP-timeout question
     Re: MacWorld Expo

[ archived as

[SUMEX-AIM.Stanford.EDU]<INFO-MAC>USENETV3-5.ARC

DAVEG
]

End of INFO-MAC Digest