Date: Wed, 21 Jan 87 13:16:16 PST
From: woody@Iago.Caltech.Edu (William E. Woody)
Subject: BatchX in Megamax v3.0

Problem:  I can't get BatchX to work on my Macintosh.

Current configuration:
    I am running a Mac 512 with the 64K roms, and an Apple HD20 through
the external floppy port, using the March (May?) 1986 copy of HD20 startup.
BatchX was placed in the magic folder and ran.  The error "Unable to open
save file" occures when the BatchX is about to execute a program (in this
case, MMCC, though the problem is reproducable with the simple one-line
batchx program:

     HD20:C:MMCC  HD20:USR:WOODY:STATS:MAIN.C

    This program bombs when ran through BatchX with "Unable to open
save file."  As this is all from memory, the accuracy may be off, but the
essence is correct.)

Questions:
    (1)  How do I get BatchX to work on my HD20?  Could it be that I'm not
running a stable version of the HD20 startup?  Could it be that I need to
fiddle with BatchX resources?  Do I have to sing any magic chants before
involking BatchX?
    (2)  [related question]  What is the latest version of the HD20 startup
file?

Thanks in advance for any help anyone can give me.

- William Woody                              mac > /|\ && ][n
  woody@juliet.caltech.edu

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 21 Jan 87 15:29:06 CST
From: Paul DuBois <dubois@unix.macc.wisc.edu>
Subject: TransSkel, TransEdit bugs

Owen Hartnett reported a couple of bugs to me that he discovered
while porting the Trans stuff to Lightspeed Pascal.

In TransEdit, an Open of an existing file followed by a Save
results in an FSOpen attempt on an uninitialized SFReply record.
Fix:
	in TransEdit.c, in the SaveFile function, after the
SyncAllGlobals call, put this line:
		tmpFile = editFile;
---
In the TranSkel ManyWind demo, there should be a SetPort to the window
to be painted right before the case statement that selects the color
(this is in ManyWind.c).
Without it, the window that gets painted won't always be the front
window.  (This bug did not occur in earlier versions of TransSkel due
to a kludge that was present in handling of activate procedures.  When
I fixed the kludge, it broke ManyWind.)
---
I've also discovered a bug in the window zooming code.  Seems that
ZoomWindow expects the port to be set to the window that's getting zoomed.
This won't be the case if under the following circumstances:

	put up any window
	put up a zoomable window in front.
	dispose of the first window (SkelRmveWind).
	click in the zoombox of the second window.
	crash.

Reason:
	in the third step, SkelRmveWind calls the window handler's
clobber proc.  All handler procs set the port to the window being
handled first.  The clobber proc processor, in addition, resets the
port to the screen port after calling the window's clobber proc, to
avoid a dangling port.  Thus, clicking in the zoom box at the fourth
step results in zooming a window when the current port is the screen
port.  Various unfortunate things occur.

Fix:
	put a SetPort to the window being zoomed right before the
ZoomWindow statement in DoZoom in TransSkel.c.

Users of Owen's port should do this, too.

---
Paul DuBois     UUCP: {allegra,ihnp4,seismo}!uwvax!uwmacc!dubois    |
                ARPA: dubois@easter                               --+--
                      dubois@rhesus                                 |

"Don't we have enough madmen around here already?"
                                 I Samuel 21:15

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 19 Jan 87 17:15:00 PST
From: <DAVEG@slacvm.bitnet>
Subject: revisions to Ken Winograd's software

[ Uploaded from Delphi by Jeff Shulman ]

Name: KEN'S STUFF
Type: PROGRAM
Date: 18-JAN-1987 07:37 by KENWINOGRAD

This set includes most of my shareware applications and desk accessories.
Included are both games and utilities.  Having recently upgraded to a macplus,
the versions included here are Mac/MacPlus and HFS and Switcher compatible. New
features have been added and all known bugs have been fixed.

HANGMAN is a mac-like game of hangman. Enter your own word one at a time or
choose from built-in categories, or enter a list of words from a macwrite
text-only document.  With sound (on/off) and colorful (so to speak) non-violent
"hang" graphics.  If you have kids (or are one), I think you'll like it.

BRICKLES is a game similar to the "Break-Out" or "Brick-Out" games of time
past.  BRICKLES includes lots of customizable features like adjustable ball
size, paddle size, patterns of ball, paddle, background, and bricks. Sound on
/off. Four speeds. Three types of games: one,two or four paddles. Retains top
ten high score and scorers.  This game can go fast enough to satisfy the
lunatics among you, as well as go slow enough to allow its use by three-year
olds.

PRAM (for Parameter RAM) is, hopefully, both educational and useful.  It
displays the contents of all Parameter RAM locations, explains what each
location is used for, and allows you to change many of those parameters,
including those that cannot be changed with the Control Panel or Alarm Clock
desk accessories (such as startup-drive, default font, default port
characteristics, printer/modem port).  If you ever wondered what parameter RAM
is all about, please try out PRAM.

FATMOUSE is a desk accessory that should be very handy especially to software
developers.  It is in F/DAM format and once installed and selected, presents
the time, date, global mouse location coordinates and a fatbits presentation of
a 16 pixel square under the cursor.  It also shows the difference between
two successive mouse clicks.

DAFont is a desk accessory that displays the fonts resident in the current
system file, shows font statistics (point size, font number, number of
bytes, resource id) and desk accessory statistics including id's and sizes
(including owned resources.)  Many people find it quite handy to have.

Thanks very much for your support.

[ archived as

[SUMEX-AIM.Stanford.EDU]<INFO-MAC>GAME-BRICKLES.HQX
[SUMEX-AIM.Stanford.EDU]<INFO-MAC>GAME-HANGMAN.HQX
[SUMEX-AIM.Stanford.EDU]<INFO-MAC>UTILITY-PRAM-40.HQX
[SUMEX-AIM.Stanford.EDU]<INFO-MAC>DA-FATMOUSE.HQX
[SUMEX-AIM.Stanford.EDU]<INFO-MAC>DA-DAFONT.HQX

DAVEG
]

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 21 Jan 87 15:03:05 CST
From: Paul DuBois <dubois@unix.macc.wisc.edu>
Subject: FaceLift 1.01 (revised posting)

Here's a revised version of FaceLift (v1.01).   It differs from the
previous version (1.0) in the following ways:

- An egregious bug has been fixed.  If any display windows were closed
from the File menu (rather than by clicking in the window close box),
the system would hang when you tried to quit.
- It remembers to pass Edit menu selections to desk accessories.
- On machines with 128K ROMs, display windows are zoomable.
- The document is smaller (I trimmed the pictures down).

Otherwise, the functionality is identical.

Yours,
Paul DuBois

[ archived as

[SUMEX-AIM.Stanford.EDU]<INFO-MAC>UTILITY-FACELIFT-101.HQX

DAVEG
]

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 21 Jan 87 09:29 EST
From: Paul Christensen <PCHRISTENSEN%rca.com@RELAY.CS.NET>
Subject: RE: speed reading

Sorry I'm late in posting this...

The only package for the Mac that teaches speed reading is Speed Reader  II
from Davidson & Associates.  This software is generally well-written,
and offers warm-up exercises, eye movement and column-reading training
(by shading text and highlighting phrases at user-controlled rates).  It
also provides both paced and timed reading, and generates graphs of
various data collected from the reading.

You should be able to find this software at your local dealer (I know
that mine stocks it (and generally has a sparse, but adequate Macintosh
software collection).
				Paul Christensen
			CSNET:	PCHRISTENSEN@RCA.COM

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 19 Jan 87 22:16:54 PST
From: mccarty@degas.Berkeley.EDU (Perry McCarty)
Subject: Print Spooler and additional fonts?

I am using the TeXtures typesetting software and have found that
it works poorly with the print spooler that comes with the
Dataframe 20.  Textures comes with several font files.  I don't really
wish to add all of these fonts to my system font file because I don't
want them for other applications and I don't want to have to search through
them when selecting fonts for those other applications.  Also, I tried
adding them to the system fonts and found that it will screw up my MacDraw
documents (since MacDraw selects fonts by index and not by name).

However, if these fonts are not included in the system font file, Superspool
decides they don't exist and chooses to use Geneva instead.

I have seen some mention of the ability to identify additional fonts.
Can someone tell me how this is done?  I want them to be found by Superspool
for my TeXtures documents, but not for my MacDraw documents.

				thanks,
					Perry

[ note from moderator: I don't know about the superspooler but it is MUCH
more convenient to move the fonts needed by TexTures into the TeX Fonts
file. This can be done with the FontDA mover. This avoids the need
to ADD FONTS within TeXtures. DAVEG ]

------------------------------

Date: Tue 20 Jan 87 16:08:56-MST
From: Robert J. Thum <RTHUM@SIMTEL20.ARPA>
Subject: IW II Problem

Hello All,

This is my first time on the net even though I have had the chance to talk to
some of you via the land line. Mr. TJ Patrick on the Delphi net asked a question
last week which I to have had off and on;
> I have had my IWII for almost a year now and continue to
> have problems with the type about 3/4 of an inch down from
> the top of the page. Print in this area (or graphics) gets squeezed
> making letters or numbers on this line about 1/2 the height they
> should be.

And I thought I was the only one with the problem. If I take the IW print
driver out of the system folder and replace it with a new copy from my master
disk the printer will work fine for a time and then it starts acting up again.

Has any one else had this problem with their IW II or are Mr. Patrick and I
just doing something dumb when we put the driver into the system folder.

Any help you might be able to offer will be greatly appreciated.

My one and only address is: RTHUM@SIMTEL20.ARPA

Thanks for the help.

------------------------------

Date: Wed 21 Jan 87 13:35:48-PST
From: David Pope <POPE@SRI-KL.ARPA>
Subject: EPSON printer driver for Mac

Does anyone know of a program (public domain, preferably) that will allow
a Macintosh to print to an Epson printer (MX-100 specifically)?  Please
direct me to the proper archives or mail to me directly.  I will summarize
to the net if interest warrants.

                                    Thank you,
                                                 David E. Pope
                                                  pope@sri-kl

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 21 Jan 87 8:42:39 EST
From: Thomas Coradeschi (FSA-E) <tcora@ARDEC.ARPA>
Subject: Re: Can a screen inch be a laserwriter inch?

Tried to send this direct but no luck. I suspect your problem may revolve around
the use of the page setup. To print on the imagewriter so that it appears as
it would on the laser, make sure your page setup uses the "tall justified"
option. Then make sure you do a page setup after you choose the laserwriter,
but before you print. Select page setup even if all you do is click "OK" at
that point, or setup won't change from imagewriter to laser.

Regards,
tom c

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 20 Jan 87 18:01:43 SA
From: Tero Siili  <FYS-TS%FINHUT.BITNET@WISCVM.WISC.EDU>
Subject: MacDraw/MacPaint/Lasergrafix 800/ibm-370

I have an inquiry as follows:

At my work we have a Mac+ and an IBM-type mainframe, which has a QMS
Lasergrafix 800 laser printer attached. DISSPLA graphics software is
installed and in use on the mainframe. Now, I believe, that DISSPLA
creates vector graphics and if output is directed to QMS, an intermediate
file containing the plotting code is generated. Is it possible and even
better, does anyone have a program available, which would convert
this QUIC-format file to PICT-format(or MacPaint format) so that it
could be manipulated with MacDraw or -Paint? Perhaps downloading the
QUIC file in text form to Mac with MacTerminal or Kermit and then converting
the file on Mac. All info appreciated.
 Tero Siili/FYS-TS at FINHUT.BITNET

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 21 Jan 87 17:11:23 SA
From: Tero Siili  <FYS-TS%FINHUT.BITNET@WISCVM.WISC.EDU>
Subject: Mac+ & terminal emulation

Questionsquestionsquestionsques....

1. If one whiches to transfer files with MacTerminal using IBM 7171
   protocol converter(to IBM-type mainframe), does it require some
   program or parameter file to the IBM-end? So far I have not
   succeeded in transfer(MacKermit 0.8 works, though|). Help|

2. Anyone heard about PD-Tektronix emulator, which could make a PICT-
   format file of the picture. Graphics program in the IBM end is DISSPLA
   by ISSCO.

3. DISSPLA has a post-processor option(DISSPOP). Does anyone know about
   any program, which could convert downloaded DISSPLA metafiles to
   PICT-format or PostScript or whatever is needed for sharp output
   with LaserWriter(MacPaint format is usually not good enough|).
   Alternately, conversion program from QUIC-format to PICT format
   could be useful.(all this assumes, that DISSPLA produces vectored
   graphics).

Anything else, concerning graphics emulation + Copy & Paste of these
pictures would be nice to here/read of.

TS

[ note from moderator: I don't know enough about the above, but if you
want to capture a picture to be drawn on a Tektronix 4014 terminal and
convert it to PICT format, that is possible with either VersaTerm Pro,
or VersaTerm & Tekprint in conjunction.  DAVEG ]

------------------------------

Date: 21 Jan 87 09:03 EST
From: HALLETT JEFFREY A            <HALLETT@ge-crd.arpa>
Subject: Backdrop and Megaroids

Just a little tip for you all:

   Don't use the Backdrop init file that was post a while ago if you plan
to run Megaroids+.  There is no bomb, but there is a memory conflict.  When you
quit, you will get a nice drawing of (from top to bottom), the bottom 1/3 of
the Megaroids screen, 1/3 of memory garbage, and the bottom 1/3 of whatever you
installed as your backdrop picture.

 I haven't tried Startupdesk yet; I'll let you know if there is a problem with
it.

JAH

------------------------------

Date: Mon 19 Jan 87 19:44:51-EST
From: John C. Akbari <AKBARI@CS.COLUMBIA.EDU>
Subject: scribe for mac

is there a decent scribe look-alike for the mac (cheap)?  need to do some
"serious" text processing (user manuals with indices, footnotes, alphabetical
bibliogrpahies, etc.).  comments on other things (ie., teX look-alikes)
also appreciated.

	ad...THANKS...vance!

john c akbari

    ARPANET & Internet  	akbari@CS.COLUMBIA.EDU
    BITnet			akbari%CS.COLUMBIA.EDU@WISCVM.WISC.EDU
    uucp & usenet               ...!seismo!columbia!cs!akbari
    DECnet			akbari@cs
    PaperNet			380 riverside drive, no. 7d
				new york, new york  10025   usa
    SoundNet			212.662.2476

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 21 Jan 1987  11:21 MST
Sender: KPETERSEN@SIMTEL20.ARPA
From: Keith Petersen <W8SDZ@SIMTEL20.ARPA>
Subject: Hoffman unsqueezer needed

I am not on your mailing list so decided not to send this query to the
general list.  One of my CP/M users has asked that I try to locate an
unsqueeze program that will run on the MAC.  This would be used to
unsqueeze files made on CP/M with the Hoffman algorithm squeeze
program.  Any help you can give would be greatly appreciated.

--Keith Petersen

------------------------------

Date: Tue 20 Jan 87 11:23:35-PST
From: Dick <MEAD%hamal@usc-oberon.ARPA>
Subject: Word Puzzle generator wanted

I'd like to find a word search/crossword puzzle generator (prefer both)
that can run under CP/M or Mac. Source code in MS Basic or Pascal (Turbo preferred)
would be ideal. Anything out there??? The Turbo Pascal method would be useful on
about any system. (Or Manx C)
Thanks

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 20 Jan 87 19:45:35 est
From: Marc Sarrel <sarrel@ohio-state.ARPA>
Subject: Genealogy Software (again)

A while ago, I posted a message asking for advice concerning genealogy
software written for the Mac (at my roommate's request).  We received
several responses (thank you) and we seem to have decided that the
Family Tree program would suit our needs best.  However, none of the
people who responded had actually used this program.  The best information
we got was several months old, from before the program was released.

Family Tree is out now, but the local computer store does not stock it.  They
can order it, but then my roommate would be obligated to buy it.  He does
not want to spend this sort of money (~$180) without some more information.
Does anyone out there have any _personal_ experience with this package, now
that we know it's out?

Please respond by e-mail.  If there's sufficient response, I'll post results.
Thanks in advance.

End of INFO-MAC Digest