[mod.mac] INFO-MAC Digest V5 #43

INFO-MAC@SUMEX-AIM.Stanford.EDU.UUCP (01/26/87)

INFO-MAC Digest          Monday, 26 Jan 1987       Volume 5 : Issue 43

Today's Topics:
                Farewell from DAVEG, hello new moderator
                 NEED HELP ABOUT POOR MAN'S SEARCH PATH
                              CatchPICT DA
                        Debugging in Lightspeed C
                        Arrow Keys and the Finder
                      Another Mac Interface Comment
                        New DB9 Hardware for Mac+
                           Re: IW II Problems.
                  Megaroids violates Apple's guidlines
                        Missing Application Woes!
                                 Rumors
                         Re: mac+/terminal/7171
                             File Change1.0
                       Jasmine "80-meg" hard drive
                Warp Nine DataRam vs. other mem. upgrades
                            Re: Speed Reading
                          Yet Another Book Club
                         Usenet Mac Digest V3 #6
                         Delphi Mac Digest V3 #6
                         Delphi Mac Digest V3 #7

Date: Thu, 22 Jan 87 11:50:57 PST
From: <DAVEG@slacvm.bitnet>
Subject: Farewell from DAVEG, hello new moderator

   After being moderator since July I'm taking a break from being the
info-mac moderator. The new moderator is Dwayne Virnau, who was the
moderator before I took over in July. I just wanted to say, it was
an 'experience' being moderator; sometimes fun, many times painfull
but overall a good one because I got to interact with so many people
interested in the Mac. Thanks.
   One point to consider as the reins are passed to Dwayne is that
the place to write for info-mac ADMINISTRATIVE issues is
INFO-MAC-REQUEST@Sumex.stanford.edu

If you have information for me personally then feel free to mail to
the addresses below, but PLEASE do not send info-mac related stuff
to me at work unless it is to respond to something I posted personally
(i.e. not as moderator).
See you on the net!  David
David Gelphman                  BITNET address: DAVEG@SLACVM
Bin #88 SLAC                    ARPANET address:  DAVEG@SLACVM.BITNET
Stanford, Calif. 94305          UUCP address: ...psuvax1!daveg%slacvm.bitnet
415-854-3300 x2538
usual disclaimer #432 applies: my employer continues to apologize for the fact
that I have access to this net.

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 22 Jan 87 10:56:26 SET
From: Alexander Falk  <K360950%AEARN.BITNET@WISCVM.WISC.EDU>
Subject: NEED HELP ABOUT POOR MAN'S SEARCH PATH

HELLO EVERYBODY,
I NEED HELP ON THE POOR MAN'S SEARCH PATH. FOR A NAPPLICATION CURRENTLY
UNDER DEVELOPMENT I NEED TO ADD A FOLDER TO THE POOR MAN'S SEARCH PATH.
THIS IS DONE BY A DESK ACCESSORY 'SET PATH' SUPPLIED WITH TML PASCAL AND
BY AN APPLICATION DEVELOPED BY ANDY HERTZFELD. COULD ANYBODY PLEASE TELL
ME HOW TO ADD A FOLDER IN THE POOR MAN'S SEARCH PATH? THERE IS NO
DOCUMENTATION AVAILABLE FROM APPLE ON THIS SUBJECT...

THANKS FOR YOU HELP
ALEXANDER

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 22 Jan 87 19:05:17 est
From: wilson%eniac.seas.upenn.edu@cis.upenn.edu
Subject: CatchPICT DA

This is partially in response to the question about getting PICT format output
from terminal emulators.  A while ago I was working with a terminal emulator
that did Tektronix emulation but did not save the graphics in PICT format. As
a consequence I wrote a small DA that checks the picSave field in the front
window and if it isn't being used starts saving whatever is being drawn in the
window as a PICT document.  It worked great for the terminal emulator and was
fun to use to see just how many redraws of the screen the finder was doing and
other such stuff.  It never seemed like it would be all that generally useful
so I never posted it.  If someone would have a use for it, I'll clean it up a
bit and write some documentation and post it.

			Nathan Wilson
			wilson%eniac.seas.upenn.edu@cis.upenn.edu

------------------------------

Date: 23 Jan 87 16:32:00 EST
From: Richard Zaccone  <ZACCONE%BUCKNELL.BITNET@WISCVM.WISC.EDU>
Subject: Debugging in Lightspeed C

 I have been very happy with Lightspeed C.  I also have Aztec C, and I
 like Lightspeed much better.  However, I have to admit that I'm quite
 surprised that there isn't a source level debugger.  I have no
 interest in doing assembly language debugging.  When I create a program
 I think at the source level, and I want to debug at that level as well.
 Does anyone know if a source level debugger is in the offing?  This is
 the only problem that I perceive with the Lightspeed C package.

 Rick Zaccone
 Bucknell University
 zaccone@bucknell.bitnet

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 23 Jan 87 16:17:07 PST
From: PUGH%CCC.MFENET@nmfecc.arpa
Subject: Arrow Keys and the Finder

Since I can Open and Close windows in the Finder from the Keyboard (I added
Command-O and Command-K to the menus), it would be very nice to be able to
move the selection with the cursor keys.  Don't you think so (just nod your
head)?  This sort of assumes a more strucured layout of the icons in your
windows since the default of the Finder is to let you scatter them all over.
Since I have the grid always turned on, I think it would be fairly simple to
use the cursor keys to move the highlight from icon to icon.

Does this idea agree with people?  Can we make enough of a fuss so that Apple
will hear us and take the proper steps to include this in a future release
of the Finder?

Jon

------------------------------

Subject: Another Mac Interface Comment
Date: Wed, 21 Jan 87 23:44:58 -0800
From: Kathleen Huddleston <gregory@icse.UCI.EDU>

user interface? Another thought (I've lost his address).

What really bugs me is the way you have to install fonts and desk
accessories in the system (or, cleverly in applications). I think they
should just be files (perhaps in the system folder) that can be
accessed without having to disappear into the system. Taking time to
configure and reconfigure systems becomes a real pain. Also, I just don't
like the idea of customizing something basic -- like the system or an
application. I'd rather have DA's and fonts be separable. A compromise
would be to "install" them in special font/da files, but it would be
nice to sidestep the whole mess. There shouldn't be any practical limits
on the numbers you can have of either, of course.

Another "feature" I hope will be added in the future is true multi-tasking.
Perhaps in the Alladin or the open Mac??? Servant's implementation of
multiple applications windows is a big improvement over the standard
single application concept, and a significant improvement over switcher
-- which is again, just one more thing to think about and configure.
Context switching is a must and should become standard.

(I also wish the Mac could fit in my pocket and be purchased for under
$100 -- Maybe in 1988).

Kathleen Huddleston

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 22 Jan 87 16:39:14 PST
From: PUGH%CCC.MFENET@nmfecc.arpa
Subject: New DB9 Hardware for Mac+

One thing I forgot to mention about the MacWorld Expo was that Andy Hertzfeld
showed me a bit of hardware that Thunderware was going to be releasing.

It is a connector that will siphon power from your disk drive port to power an
old style DB9 connector.  It consists of a DB25 on one side with a DB25 and a
DB9 on the other and a DIN8 on a short cable out the side to plug into one of
the Mac+ serial ports.  It will eliminate the need for a transformer for such
things as the Thunderscanner and MacNifty sound digitizer.

No price was mentioned.

Jon

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 22 Jan 87 06:29:43 PST
From: <KNIGHT@maine.bitnet>
Subject: Re: IW II Problems.

The problem that IW II's all seem to share is a scrunching of the text
about 3/4 of an inch down from the perforation. This seems to be caused
by the ImageWriter II advancing the form said amount for the user to
tear it off, then retracting it again before continuing to print. The
scrunching doesn't occur all the time, at least on mine, but the slop
in the tractor feed seems to be the problem. One other problem I've
noticed is the plastic paper guide on the printhead catching on the
preforations of the paper. So far it's only torn the 1/2 inch perfed
margins on mine.

Sorry if this is old hat to most of you but there seem to have been
several new users on the net looking for this sort of information
recently.

--Michael Knight
  Knight@maine.bitnet

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 22 Jan 87 10:26:17 pst
From: oster%lapis.Berkeley.EDU@BERKELEY.EDU (David Phillip Oster)
Subject: Megaroids violates Apple's guidlines

Apple has repeatedly stated that programs are not to use the alternate screen
buffer and alternate sound buffer for:

1.) hardware compatibility reasons:
The Mac XL doesn't have them and future macs won't have them.

2.) software compatibility reasons:
Apple has advised developers that persistent code (like SCSI disk drivers,
macro package drivers, mail systems, and system extensions and enhancements
of every sort (like Backdrop) should be installed by modifying the
Mac's high memory global variable BufPtr. As soon as you modify BufPtr,
it encroaches on the memory of the alternate screen buffer. The only
program I have seen that uses the alternate screen buffer in a way that
doesn't trash other people's code is Tom Pittman's Auto-black, the screen
saver that you have to name Macsbug, to get it loaded early enough that it
can grab the alternate screen buffer before something else gets it.
Auto-black needs the alternate screen buffer because it works by showing
the user a black alternate screen while your application is continuing to
run at full speed drawing on the real screen.

Megaroids is a poor program because it doesn't check whether the alternate
screen buffer is free for its use, it just stomps on it. You can do
perfectly decent animation on the mac without the alternate screen buffer.
If people insist on using megaroids, someone should fix it.

--- David Phillip Oster		-- "The goal of Computer Science is to
Arpa: oster@lapis.berkeley.edu  -- build something that will last at
Uucp: ucbvax!ucblapis!oster     -- least until we've finished building it."

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 22 Jan 87 16:52:56 PST
From: PUGH%CCC.MFENET@nmfecc.arpa
Subject: Missing Application Woes!

I am getting very fed up with this Can't find Application message that I keep
getting.  MacWrite has been a long time perpetrator, but now QUED seems to have
gotten into the act.  This really needs to be identified and fixed!

Some of my notes on this phenomena:

It is consistant, but only in certain directories.  I cannot open QUED documents
from my Terminal directory, but I can open them from my Data directory.  If
I take a document from my Terminal directory to my root, it still will not
open, but if I take a document from Data and put it in the root, it will open.
If I take a doc from Terminal and put it in Data, then nothing in Data will
open until I take the document back out (in the process I close and reopen
Data).  If I take the document from Data and place it in Terminal, then it will
no longer open until I put it back in Data.  Aaaaarrrrrrggggggg (to quote
Peter Korn)!

As an aside, I noticed that I had 5 different Desktop files on my disk in
various folders.  I deleted them and rebuilt the desktop, but to no avail.
The problem persists.

As I understand it, the Finder keeps a path in the Desktop file that is updated
whenever an APPL is moved or copied.  What format is this in?  It isn't a
string and it is awful short.  It must be a WDRefNum or somesuch, but it
consists of 6 bytes (according to ResEdit's general editor).

Can anyone else add any ideas to this mess?  I want to get this fixed.  Is
Apple of any help?  Are you listening Larry?

Jon

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 23 Jan 87 16:21:24 PST
From: PUGH%CCC.MFENET@nmfecc.arpa
Subject: Rumors

Well, according to Jerry Daniels, the new Mac in the same box that we have now
but a different shade of gray will not have a 68020.  He claims to know that
it will be a 68000 switchable from 8 to 16 megahertz from the control panel.
Other than that he claims that the other machine (the Mac II or was that ][?)
will be pretty much what we have been talking about for quite some time now.

Jerry Daniels is the creator of the MacUnderground and this news was reported
by his electronic magazine, MacWeek on 9 January.

Jon

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 22 Jan 87 08:12 EST
From: CML5A9%IRISHMVS.BITNET@WISCVM.WISC.EDU
Subject: Re: mac+/terminal/7171

Here at Notre Dame, we also have a 7171 protocol coverter/controler
that we use to connect up our macs/pcs/other terminals.

One of the basic "problems" the 7171 has is that it really wasnt
intended to do all of the things that people try to do with it,
such as file transfers via pcs, and graphics.  (although there
are ways to do all of these things)

We have a program called LIST7171 here that will put the 7171
into "transparent" mode, and allow files to be shipped
from the mainframe and ASCII captured in your micro.
However, the best way i know of to get a file from your
mac through the 7171 is still kermit. Runs faster than
the version of kermit through the 3705 controller because
the 7171 is one of the few ibm products that supports
xon/xoff.  We are working on a series of driver packages
for the 7171 that will allow graphics to various terminals
and plotters, as well as being able to port the graphics
files to other machines, and (certainly as I am the
Mac person here) translations could be written to get
the graphics into PICT.  (Most likely not PostScript however,
I'm not into RPN)  I will post additional info to the net
when i have something a little more concrete than ideas
from an early morning shower.

Those of you interested in LIST7171, contact me and I'll
see what I can arange, our setup here is MVS/TSO.

-Tom Dowdy
 CML5A9@IRISHMVS.BITNET
"I am increasingly of the opinion that a vast majority of
 wrong thinking people are right."

------------------------------

Date: 23 Jan 87 08:30 EST
From: CML5A9%IRISHMVS.BITNET@WISCVM.WISC.EDU
Subject: File Change1.0

Enclosed below is version 1.0 of File Change.  This is a desk
accessory that you run in MacWrite to convert files from the
following formats:
   Waterloo SCRIPT
   DEC RUNOFF
   AppleWorks
   Nota Bene
   WordStar
   DisplayWrite3
   WordPerfect

Others are to be added when I get some more file formats.
This is a shareware DA, and as my first, forgive me any
major errors I may have made.  Also, let me know if you have
problems using it with a particular file format.  I dont know
enought about some of these WPs to really give them a great test.
File Change trys to keep as much of the formatting as it can,
within reason and inherint abilities of MacWrite.

                                   - Tom Dowdy
"I'm increasingly convinced that a vast majority of wrong thinking
 people are right."

[
archived as

[SUMEX-AIM.Standford.EDU]<INFO-MAC>DA-FILECHANGE-10.HQX

DoD
]

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 21 Jan 87 23:08:12 PST
From: <ROBERTJ@yalevmx.bitnet>
Subject: Jasmine "80-meg" hard drive

This is my first posting, so please excuse any blunders...

I subscribe to both MacUser and MacWorld, and recently I (like most people)
have been noticing the Jasmine hard drive advertisements.  $599 for 20 meg I
can understand.  It seems that the Jasmine 20-meg drive is fairly reliable and
well-supported (the net has reported mostly good things about it).  It sounds
like a terrific bargain.

But Jasmine's new ads are simply unbelievable to me.  I don't know much about
hard drive technology or manufacturing costs, but when Jasmine claims to have
an EIGHTY MEGABYTE hard drive for only $1380, it seems a little incredible.
Can they really sell it for that little?  (Even with direct-order-only
service?)  Is it at all reliable?  Fast?  Is it as good as the Jasmine 20
appears to be?

If it is, I'm buying one right now, before the Jasmine folks come to their
senses!

Has anone had any experience with the Jasmine 80 (or any other inexpensive ard
drives)?

            Thanks!
                -- Rob Jellinghaus

------------------------------

Date: 22 Jan 87 13:38 EST
From: HALLETT JEFFREY A            <HALLETT@ge-crd.arpa>
Subject: Warp Nine DataRam vs. other mem. upgrades

The ScuttleButt Snooper is back (sounds strange, eh? 8-))

  I have been hearing mixed reviews concerning Warp Nine products.  They
offer a 2Mb upgrade for Mac+ for $259 (piezo. fan incl.).  Levco's
2Mb upgrade is $395 (OnePlusOne), Dove's (MacSnap2) is $399 and
MacMemory's MaxPlus is $399.  They are all guaranteed 100% comp. blah blah
usual hype.

  Has anyone heard good or bad things about the W9 product or any of the others?
Sounds like W9 has a good deal!

JAH

"The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few or the one."
                                          - Spock (STII)

------------------------------

Subject: Re: Speed Reading
Date: Thu, 22 Jan 87 11:32:00 -0800
From: julian@riacs.edu

> Date: Wed, 21 Jan 87 09:29 EST
> From: Paul Christensen <PCHRISTENSEN%rca.com@RELAY.CS.NET>
> Subject: RE: speed reading
>
> Sorry I'm late in posting this...
>
> The only package for the Mac that teaches speed reading is Speed Reader  II
> from Davidson & Associates.  This software is generally well-written,
> and offers warm-up exercises, eye movement and column-reading training
> (by shading text and highlighting phrases at user-controlled rates).  It
> also provides both paced and timed reading, and generates graphs of
> various data collected from the reading.
>
> You should be able to find this software at your local dealer (I know
> that mine stocks it (and generally has a sparse, but adequate Macintosh
> software collection).
> 				Paul Christensen
> 			CSNET:	PCHRISTENSEN@RCA.COM

You should have been surprised at the absence of anything from Evelyn
Wood.  A few days ago I got Smart Eyes from Addison-Wesley, which I had
heard a lot of good things about. The MacGuide lists (pp.33-34):

	Evelyn Wood Dynamic	Timeworks Inc			$59.95
		Reader
	Smart Eyes		Addison-Wesley			$49.95
	Speed Reader II		Davidson and Associates		$69.95
	Speed Reading Tutor	Kriya Systems Inc		$59.95
		with Eyerobics

All systems can run on the + (Smart Eyes doesn't say that but it does).
Prices listed are The Menu's; MacConnection easily does better.

------------------------------

Date: Thu 22 Jan 87 10:47:55-PST
From: Marvin Zauderer <ZAUDERER@Sushi.Stanford.EDU>
Subject: Yet Another Book Club

Well, I'm already a member of the "Library of Computer and Information
Sciences" club (you know, the one that gives you the three-volume Handbook
of AI for joining), but here's another one with a seemingly sweet offer: The
Small Computer Book Club. Apparently, you receive one of four four-book
sets when you join; these are sets of Macintosh, IBM-PC, Commodore 64/128,
and Apple II books, respectively. Only $4.95 plus shipping and handling,
they say, plus an obligation to buy one book (at their regular price)
during the subsequent 12 months.

Ordinarily, I'd say, "There's gotta be a catch." But, the LCIS gave me a
very similar offer, and everything has worked out just fine. So, unless
anyone tells me otherwise, I'll give this one a try. BTW, the Macintosh
books are: Macintosh Revealed (V I&II), by Chernicoff; The Complete Book
of Macintosh Assembly Language Programming, by Weston, and Microsoft
Macinations (argh!), by Waits et al. I've wanted the first three for
awhile, so it seems like a good deal.

BTW, the address of the Small Computer Book Club is:

Small Computer Book Club
Riverside, New Jersey 08075-9889

(that's it!)

If you want the Macintosh Set, ask for it by number: 00765.

Cheers,
Marvin

------------------------------

Date: 24 Jan 87 13:13:09 EST
From: Jeffrey Shulman <SHULMAN@RED.RUTGERS.EDU>
Subject: Usenet Mac Digest V3 #6

Usenet Mac Digest        Saturday, 24 January 1987     Volume 3 : Issue 6

Today's Topics:
     WriteNow
     Re: ChipWits
     Mac pics
     Re: Mac+ to DMP 105 Printer or Other Printers???? HELP!!!!
     Re: ChipWits
     Need Irish Font!!
     68000 Development System Info Needed
     Re: Typing tutors for Mac
     Re: WriteNow
     MicroSoft f77
     mac parallel output?
     Re: Porting IBM PC Applications (really MacApp)
     Help - Mac floppy repair/replace info needed
     Left Handed MacPaint
     PostScript source (in c for example) wanted
     Re: ChipWits
     Helix & Double Helix
     Fall 1986 BMUG Newsletter?
     Re: Hard disks
     Re: HalfTone
     Re: Please explain TextEdit feature...
     Re: IBM PC -> Imagewriter
     Re: Need Irish Font!!
     Re: Typing tutors for Mac
     Re: mac parallel output?
     Re: Irish Font
     Mac memory upgrades
     Re: Mac+ to DMP 105 Printer or Other Printers???? HELP!!!!
     Lightspeed C debugger
     DA to draw HFS tree?
     uw question
     Need Comparative Info on AMIGA vs. MAC+ for use in a MIDI system

[
archived as [SUMEX-AIM.Stanford.EDU]<INFO-MAC>USENETV3-6.ARC

DoD
]

------------------------------

Date: 24 Jan 87 13:43:19 EST
From: Jeffrey Shulman <SHULMAN@RED.RUTGERS.EDU>
Subject: Delphi Mac Digest V3 #6

Delphi Mac Digest        Saturday, 24 January 1987     Volume 3 : Issue 6

Today's Topics:
     RE: Cricket Draw (4 messages)
     RE: File Transfers To/From IBM System 38
     Dialing Into AppleTalk?
     RE: Design Tools (2 messages)
     RE: Better screen fonts (3 messages)
     questions (3 messages)
     RE: Icons, Bundles, and Friendly Application
     RE: ChipWits availability
     Macintosh 100 (Delphi digest V3, #2)
     Mac+ to DMP 105 Printer or Other Printer
     Re: resources in other files in the blessed folder
     RE: Re: Program control of the MacPlus d
     QUED 1.3
     Ada
     RE: LaserWriter labels (6 messages)

[
archived as [SUMEX-AIM.Stanford.EDU]<INFO-MAC>DELPHIV3-6.ARC

DoD
]

------------------------------

Date: 24 Jan 87 13:48:51 EST
From: Jeffrey Shulman <SHULMAN@RED.RUTGERS.EDU>
Subject: Delphi Mac Digest V3 #7

Delphi Mac Digest        Saturday, 24 January 1987     Volume 3 : Issue 7

Today's Topics:
     RE: Porting IBM PC Applications
     MacinTalk hack
     RE: What bugs you about the Mac user interface
     hard disk drives and tape backups (2 messages)
     Apple-Link (3 messages)
     RE: Bengali font
     RE: Can a screen inch be a laserwriter inch?
     RE: What bugs you about the Mac user interface
     RE: Programming Language Update from Macworld Expo
     LaserSpeed from Think
     dataframe HD 20 (2 messages)
     3Com buying Centram (3 messages)
     RE: ChipWits availability
     RE: accurate printing with MacWrite on a LaserWriter.
     RE: Typing tutors for Mac
     DA terminal programs
     MacMemory has 1Mbit RAM expanders
     Extending TextEdit (2 messages)

[

archived as [SUMEX-AIM.Stanford.EDU]<INFO-MAC>DELPHIV3-7.ARC

DoD
]

End of INFO-MAC Digest