Date: Tue, 27 Jan 87 08:41:21 PST
From: PUGH%CCC.MFENET@nmfecc.arpa
Subject: INITs from Lightspeed Pascal

Can someone more enlightened than I inform us about creating an INIT resource
from a Lightspeed Pascal program?

I have created a Unit with a Main procedure declared in the Interface section
and compiled it using, not the PasLib, but the Small Paslib Project and built
it as a CODE resource.  All in all it looked fine but it don't run the way it
did in the LSP environment.  As a metter of fact, disassembling the thing
reveals none of my trap calls and a bunch of indecipherable code, so I suspect
that I ain't doing something right.

Do I need to initialize the toolbox before running an INIT or does the system
handle that?  Where does one read up these elusive little twits?

advTHANKSance for any help

Jon

PS Sorry about the DB19 versus DB25 screwup.  Just a mental typo.

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 27 Jan 87 15:16:53 PST
From: PUGH%CCC.MFENET@nmfecc.arpa
Subject: INIT resources and LSP

Well, I paniced before trying everything.  It seems that all you have to do,
as far as LSP is concerned, is to declare your procedure like so:

unit myINIT;
interface

Procedure Main;

implementation

Procedure Main;

end.

The important thing is to read that thing in the LSP supplement about
Locking Code Resources.  There is a statement "Code resources should be
locked while they are executing and unlocked at other times.  The Macintosh
Toolbox usually takes care of this for you when calling one of the standard
types of code resources ('PACK' resources are a notable exception)."

Well, so are INITs.  Lock the buggers down!  Their subsequent example is
also slightly wrong.  Do this instead:

Procedure Main;
var
	pp : ^Ptr;
	h : Handle;
begin
pp := Pointer($9CE);	{ They use Ptr($9CE) which is a type coersion }
h := RecoverHandle(pp^);
HLock(h);
HUnlock(h);
end;

This works fine.  Now I have an INIT that randomizes your StartUpSound.  I will
change it to include the BeepSound also.  Let me know if anyone is interested
in having it posted.  I will even include the source.

Jon

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 27 Jan 87 15:49:51 ECT
From: FALK%NORUNIT.BITNET@WISCVM.WISC.EDU
Subject: Scrapbook Problems

Anybody experienced this problem?
I run a MAC+ 20MB scsi HD, Finder 5.3 and system 3.2. My HD is divided into
one boot-volume, and one working volume. The scrapbook seems ok when opened
at Finder level, but opening under some applications on my working volume
 (Fullpaint, Draft and others) gives trouble. The MAC replies 'EMPTY SCRAPBOOK',
The problem arose suddenly (at least I didn't notice until now).
I'd be very happy if somebody could advise me on this problem
Regards Christian Falck Trondheim Norway :-)

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 27 Jan 87 17:20:00 PST
From: woody@Iago.Caltech.Edu (William E. Woody)
Subject: Making BatchX work on my HD20

Well, I finally got BatchX to work.  It turns out that the name of the
magic folder is hardwired into the application as "System Folder", when
the name of the magic folder on my system was "sys".  The patch
was simple:  Find the string ":System Folder:" in the BatchX file using
Fedit, and change it to ":sys:" with terminating null (\0).

- William Woody                              mac > /|\ && ][n
  woody@juliet.caltech.edu

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 27 Jan 87 16:19:23 EST
From: wilson%husc4@harvard.HARVARD.EDU
Subject: External SS drive problems

I have a 512KE mac with a single-sided external drive (can't yet
afford a double-sided drive to replace it) that is giving me
problems.  The SS drive makes a scraping, sort of rough noise
when the disk is spinning, and especially when seeking.  It
varies somewhat depending on the disk, and also seems worse
when writing.  I have used it without losing any data, but it
really sounds unhealthy for the drive and disks.

I tried cleaning the drive, and it didn't help a bit,
so I opened up the drive and watched it run for awhile,
but would rather not take a screwdriver to the internals.
I think the noise may be due to the little felt pad (that presses
the disk surface against the read/write head) getting dirty.
The cleaning kit doesn't clean this part of a single-sided
drive (it has a cellophane flap to protect the felt pad and
warns you against removing it).

Has anyone had similar problems or know of a cheap solution?
The drive is not under Applecare and I would rather not pay
lots to get it working again.  Any suggestions would be
appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Randy Wilson
wilson@husc4.harvard.edu
harvard!husc4!wilson

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 28 Jan 87 15:16:01 est
From: berger%datacube.UUCP@CCA.CCA.COM (Bob Berger)
Subject: Apple-NU bus to VMEbus adapter

Ok, so the new mac's are going to use a modified form of the NU bus
for their expansion slots.  Does anyone have or is working on producing
a Apple-NU bus to VMEbus adapter?

This could be a two card system, one card is of the Apple-Nu bus type
and would plug into the new Mac slots, the card would be a VMEbus card
and would plug into the VME card cage. Some form of robust cable would
then connect the two cards.  A range of memory accesses by the Mac cpu
would transparently map to a range of addresses on the VMEbus.

It would be nice if transfers could also go the other way, a VMEbus master
could access chunks of the Mac Memory.

If anyone is working on such a beast, we would be interested in volume
purchase as an OEM.

Please send any info to me via EMail.

				Bob Berger

Datacube Inc. Systems / Software Group	4 Dearborn Rd. Peabody, Ma 01960
VOICE:	617-535-6644;	FAX: (617) 535-5643;  TWX: (710) 347-0125
UUCP:	ihnp4!datacube!berger
	{seismo,cbosgd,cuae2,mit-eddie}!mirror!datacube!berger

------------------------------

Date: 27 Jan 87 14:52:00 EST
From: "Greg Hamm" <hamm@waks.rutgers.edu>
Subject: Broken keys

My three-year-old attacked my Mac and managed to break off one of the
keypad keys.  The key apparently slides onto a little white tab, and the
tab is broken off at the point where it enters the key slot.

Does anyone know if this is reparable without buying an entire keyboard?
Any other rabid three-year-olds out there?

Greg Hamm
hamm@biovax.bitnet
hamm@waks.rutgers.edu

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 27 Jan 87 10:59:56 PST
From: <DAVEG@slacvm.bitnet>
Subject: Re: SFGetFile, Putfile improvements

   With the introduction of HFS, Apple added lots of keyboard equivalents
to control the standard file dialogs. The one they left out was CANCEL.
You can do everything in standard file from the keyboard but CANCEL. The
obvious way to cancel is COMMAND-. and I see no reason why System 3.3
can't have that so all standard file dialogs retroactively have that
feature.
David Gelphman                  BITNET address: DAVEG@SLACVM
Bin #88 SLAC                    ARPANET address:  DAVEG@SLACVM.BITNET
Stanford, Calif. 94305          UUCP address: ...psuvax1!daveg%slacvm.bitnet
415-854-3300 x2538
usual disclaimer #432 applies: my employer apologies for the fact
that I have access to this net.

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 28 Jan 1987  00:54 EST
From: HENRY%OZ.AI.MIT.EDU@XX.LCS.MIT.EDU
Subject: User interface suggestion for SFGetFile

I, too, have been frustrated at the behavior of the "Drive"
button in the file dialog box.  It seems like Apple almost
got the right idea about tree-structured file systems, but
just made one mistake...

Here's the REAL solution: Trees should always have a "root" node,
but there's no root in Apple's HFS.  Flush the Drive button
entirely.  When you press the mouse button on the title above the
scroll window, you get a pull down menu of the path UP the tree from
where you currently are.  This path should always end in a
unique root node [perhaps displayed as a Macintosh icon].
If you choose the root, you should then see in the scroll
menu a list of the available "drives", and then you could choose one.
Thus, the "drives" would be treated in an identical manner to folders,
except for the icons used to display them.

An even better idea:  Actually, I was flabbergasted the first time I
saw a SFGetFile box appear.  What I really wanted, and what I still
think would be a neat idea, would be  to have a pop-up FINDER window.  You
could screw around in the finder opening folders, etc., then double
click on an icon and it returns that file as the choice to the program
that asked for it.  I suspect it was just small-machine mentality that
led to SFGetFile in the first place.  The finder is great as a browser
for a tree-structured file system, so it ought to be used uniformly
throughout the system.

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 28 Jan 87 10:13:59 PST
From: <DAVEG@slacvm.bitnet>
Subject: Macintosh program for producing real postscript

  There is evidently a program which runs on the Mac which converts the
psuedo-postscript (produced by using the COMMAND-F dump of postscript
on the Mac) into 'true' postscript. I saw the program listed in a public
domain software catalog but I suspect it exists on the net somewhwere.
Anybody care to post it or mail it to me for posting? Thanks in advance,

Date: Wed 28 Jan 87 22:26:09-PST
From: Dwayne Virnau... <INFO-MAC-REQUEST@SUMEX-AIM.STANFORD.EDU>
Subject: Transskel Pascal Docs <repost>

several people reported problems downloading this file, a new
copy has been secured and is archived as

[SUMEX-AIM.Stanford.EDU]<INFO-MAC>UTILITY-TRANSSKEL-PASCAL-DOC.HQX

DoD

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 28 Jan 87 10:49:13 PST
From: <LOGANJ@byuvax.bitnet>
Subject: UTILITY-FONT-EDITOR-10A4.HQX

Macintosh and Xerox 9700/8700/4050 laser printer owners,

Here is version 1.0A4 of the Font Editor that I mentioned last month.
I have successfully used this version of the Font Editor to create new
fonts and modify existing fonts for our 8700.  There are still a couple
of problems with the program.  I will post improved versions.

I have downloaded fonts directly to the Macintosh from CMS on an
IBM mainframe using Kermit, modified the font, and uploaded the
modified font back to the IBM host without problems.  I have
been using Columbia University Kermit version 0.8(33) on the
Macintosh.  These file transfers must be done in binary mode
(Kermit on the Macintosh and IBM host must both be set to binary
mode).  For uploading, the Kermit logical record length parameter
should be set to 128 on the IBM host.  Our Macs are connected to
the IBM host (43XX vintage) through a Hydra protocol converter.

For anyone interested, the CMS kermit commands that set binary mode
and a record size of 128 bytes are as follows:

SET FILE BINARY
SET LRECL 128

I have also transferred font files to and from VAX systems.

To use this font editor you must first download the following hex
code to your Macintosh and unhex it with the BinHex utility.

Let me know how it works for you...

Regards,
Jim (loganj@byuvax)

[
archived as
  [SUMEX-AIM.Stanford.EDU]<INFO-MAC>UTILITY-FONT-EDITOR-10A4.HQX

DoD
]

------------------------------

Date: 27 Jan 87 10:48:00 EST
From: "Greg Hamm" <hamm@waks.rutgers.edu>
Subject: re: Disktimer II results

Since I will soon be buying a hard disk, I appreciate all the work people
have done to post timings for the various drives available.  However, as
the recent message pointed out, issues other than speed are important.
For me personally, reliability (first) and simplicity of operation (second)
are much more important.  So I'd like to see some postings about which
drives people have had trouble with, and which are perceived as reliable.
Which require some special boot procedures, and which are transparent?
Which work well with backup programs?

I realise this sort of information is much more subjective and can't be
organised into a nice table, but I'd sure appreciate even informed opinion
at this stage.

Thanks,

Greg

------------------------------

Date: Wed 28 Jan 87 16:05:49-PST
From: TIEU@USC-ECLB.ARPA
Subject: Mac security device

Are there any security devices that will lock the mouse and the external drive
of a Mac+?  Please provide the vendor's name and phone numbers.
Thanks in advance

Han

------------------------------

Date: Wed 28 Jan 87 00:08:01-EST
From: "Mike E. Ciholas" <MIKEC%OZ.AI.MIT.EDU@XX.LCS.MIT.EDU>
Subject: 68000 Development Systems, C and Assembly

I am a graduate student at the MIT AI lab and I am working with a 68000
processor for a mobile robot vision system.  I need some advice on development
systems.  I want to mix C and assembly but I must write _everything_ from the
reset routine on up.  I would like to use a Mac for this, but can I write code
that I can download to a stand alone processor (i.e. no Mac ROM).  I have heard
good things about LightSpeed C, but does its assembler allow such low level
programming (in supervisor mode) of the 68000?

Thanxs in advance.

You can reply to me directly at MIKEC@OZ.AI.MIT.EDU

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 24 Jan 87 14:31 EDT
From: <BAUM%BCVAX3.BITNET@WISCVM.WISC.EDU> (Christopher F. Baum)
Subject: FORTRAN for the Macintosh

I have been trying to move several large mainframe econometric research
packages into the Mac environment, hoping to get them up and running first
and Mac-like second. I have been stymied, as have many others to read the
nets and mags, by the lack of support for Fortran for the Mac at the level,
say, of Microsoft Fortran for the I...M PC (which I use, occasionally, if I
am bribed to do so).

I noted in MacWorld Feb. issue several letters about Microsoft (Absoft)
Fortran for the Mac, and the editor's response giving a number for Absoft
Tech Support in Jacksonville -- 904+423-7587. Since I did indeed buy the
Absoft product way back when, and have since gotten the Microsoft-vended
upgrades, I thought I'd give them a call, and see if they had a clue about
my difficulties in getting the linker to handle sizable applications,
random unsavory things happening to variables being transmitted through
COMMON, etc.

To my surprise and wonder, they not only answered the phone within two
rings, but spoke knowledgeably and at length about my problems! From the
sound of it, they have given me all the clues necessary to solve them, and
will send me an update diskette with a more powerful linker, as well as
several other goodies that Microsoft deigned to distribute. For any of you
that might be using (or thinking of using) Fortran for the Mac, I'd urge to
keep this in mind. The quality of support provided by Absoft for a product
that they designed, but do not even directly market (!) is several sigmas
above what we are used to getting. A sad commentary on the industry! Note
that Absoft is also behind the just-released MS-BASIC Compiler for the Mac.

I have no financial interest in Absoft, am just a satisfied customer, with
hopes that they succeed.

Kit Baum
Department of Economics, Boston College
BAUM@BCVAX3.BITNET

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 27 Jan 87 20:10:50 CST
From: davis%mycroft@gswd-vms.ARPA (Tim Davis)
Subject: Wanted.  Structured Analysis and Des

I'm looking for any leads to Structured Analysis and Design Tools that
are specifically avaliable for the Mac's.  These tools would compose an
integrated system containing;

		1. Dataflow Diagram editors
		2. Structure Charts editors
		3. Data Structures editors
		4. Entity-Relationships editors
		5. Data Dictionary management capabilities.
		6. Reporting Capabilities
		7. Modeling Analysis programs
		8. Apple Laserwriter interface

I have found only a couple of these systems which are avaliable on other
computers and operating systems but none for the Mac.  Thanks for any
assistance you provide.

Tim Davis

------------------------------

Date: Tuesday 27 Jan 87 3:31 PM CT
From: <BPTFEHPB%UIAMVS.BITNET@WISCVM.WISC.EDU>
Subject: Evaluating database software for the Mac

I am evaluating database software for the Mac for the purpose of
chosing a product to be supported by our center.  This DB package
would be general purpose, easy to learn and use, and be reasonably
priced.  I would like to receive comments on any Mac database
package.  I particularly would like comments on Reflex (previously
Interlace), OverVUE, FileMaker Plus (or FileMaker), and Microsoft
File.  Please include the version you are familiar with and any
information on upgrades since.  I have eliminated Double Helix and
Omnis 3 Plus from the evaluation because of their cost, but would
enjoy hearing comments for my own knowledge.

Please send your comments to me directly at:

Fran Hemingway
University of Iowa
Weeg Computing Center
Iowa City, IA  52242