[mod.mac] INFO-MAC Digest V5 #51

INFO-MAC@SUMEX-AIM.STANFORD.EDU.UUCP (02/12/87)

INFO-MAC Digest         Thursday, 12 Feb 1987      Volume 5 : Issue 51

Today's Topics:
                              Editing menus
                    Altering Save dialog box defualts
           Bug in TransDisplay and missing MultiSkel.pas file
                         Mac Plus ROM versions ?
                          Very Tiny Finder Flaw
       Serious ROM 'feature' causes problems with multiple stacks
                      Weird ImageWriter II behavior
                          Problem with MacDraw
                          Servant: new version?
                          Re: MacModula2-ver4.0
                        Missing Application Woes!
                  MacPaint to Sun rasterfile converter
                           DA-WINDOW-TILER.HQX
                      Bug Fix for ShowSizes (ooops)
                     MACUNDERGROUND.HQX (in 8 parts)
                        DEMO-MACAPL (in 10 parts)
                 Re: Find an application; Re: AppleShare
                               Mind Prober
                            220V 50Hz Mac+ ??
                                30Mb SCSI
                           Random Observations

Date: Fri, 6 Feb 87 11:41:24 EST
From: Thomas Coradeschi (FSA-E) <tcora@ARDEC.ARPA>
Subject: Editing menus

Does anyone recall seeing a posting some time back which described how to
change the "Transfer" menu in Edit to support transfers to other programs.
I tried simply changing the RMAKER label to MS FORTRAN using Resedit, and
it changed what the menu said, but didn't allow me to switch to fortran.
Yes, both apps (edit and fortran) are on the same mfs disk. So, what did I
do wrong?
Thanks in advance for your advice.

Regards,
tom c

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 9 Feb 87 17:11:36 PST
From: David Finkelstein <davef@portia.STANFORD.EDU>
Subject: Altering Save dialog box defualts

I'd like to alter MacDraw so that it defaults to saving documents in
PICT format instead of MacDraw format.  Does anyone know of a ResEdit
hack or a piece of code I can change in Draw that will accomplish this
task?  Thanks much.

-- Dave

Email:  davef@portia.stanford.edu

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 9 Feb 87 21:35:02 EST
From: "Owen M. Hartnett" <omh%cs.brown.edu@RELAY.CS.NET>
Subject: Bug in TransDisplay and missing MultiSkel.pas file

There is bug in the TransDisplay.pas program recently posted.  In the function
GetDInfo, at the statements:

		foundit := true;
	end;
	h := h^^.dNext;

The semicolon after the end statement should be removed and replaced with an
else statement.  The corrected code is:

		foundit := true;
	end
else
	h := h^^.dNext;

Credit for finding the bug goes to Chris Sterritt.  The bug is specific
to the Pascal version and does not affect the C version. [result of a
C construct mis-translated and my personal dislike of Goto's in Pascal].

Also, in the original file for the TransSkel demos, the file
MultiSkel.pas may have been accidentally omitted.  In any event, a copy
of that file alone is enclosed.

Owen Hartnett
Brown University Computer Science

omh@cs.brown.edu.CSNET
omh%cs.brown.edu@relay.cs.net-relay.ARPA
{ihnp4,allegra}!brunix!omh

[
the new demo is archived as

[SUMEX-AIM.Stanford.EDU]<INFO-MAC>UTILITY-TRANSSKEL-MULTISKEL-PAS.HQX

DoD
]

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 7 Feb 87 17:21:34 est
From: michel jacquemin <jacquemin-michel@YALE.ARPA>
Subject: Mac Plus ROM versions ?

I've been using my MacIntosh since June 84.  It was upgraded
several times, as you may understand.  It is now a Mac Plus
replica.  Do I have 100 % compatibility with an actual Mac
Plus or could there be some minor difference hidden behind
the bits ?
More precisely, someone said me that there could be incompa-
tibilities caused by the different 128K ROM versions that
exist.  Can someone assure me of the contrary ?  Did someone
find such an incompatiblity ? In that case, are there fixes
to it ?

 THANX.
   Michel Jacquemin.

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 2 Feb 87 14:37:09 PST
From: PUGH%CCC.MFENET@nmfecc.arpa
Subject: Very Tiny Finder Flaw

Here's a very tiny Finder flaw.  Throw some stuff away from inside a folder.
Do a GetInfo on the Folder and then, while the box displaying the folder
size is staring at you, choose Empty Trash.  The size of the folder does not
update.

Granted it's minor, but it is a design flaw.  The GetInfo box should be a
modeless dialog (which it generally is).

Jon

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 10 Feb 87 18:07:41 PST
From: <DAVEG@slacvm.bitnet>
Subject: Serious ROM 'feature' causes problems with multiple stacks

    I've run into a very serious bug which I haven't seen discussed here
before. The situation is that I am running with multiple A7 type stacks
with different ones for each process I have. I do not want to give this
up! The memory setup I am starting with is as follows (for example)

               top of memory

     [---          stack1
     [               .
>8K  [               .
     [---            . grows downward

     [---          stack2
     [               .
>8K  [               .
     [---            . grows downward

          etc.  This may continue for many stacks THEN

heapend      [-------   top of application heap
                        .
                        .
                        .

   I hope my diagram is clear...the multiple stacks reside where the
standard stack would reside with each stack allocated at least 8K for
subroutine calls, etc.  These stacks are used alternately as system stack
pointers.  I had thought that an 8K allocation is a reasonable amount of
stack space.
   OK, so what I find is that at least one place in the ROM takes the
current value of the stack pointer, subtracts the value at HEAPEND (to
'determine' the amount of 'free' space remaining on the stack) and if it
is large enough, uses that space for something!!!!! In the above multiple
stack scenario one finds that if you are using (for example) the stack
which is the highest in memory, this ROM routine will calculate lots of
'free' space between SP and HeapEnd and use it! This clobbers my other
stacks quite nicely.
   I found all of this to be quite shocking.  For reference the 128K ROM
addresses to examine are $40C424 thru $40C48C where the actual write of
$7FFF to memory is made.  This takes place in a subroutine in MapRgn.  I
found that my call to TEUpdate was the one which started the whole chain
of events but this only seemed to be a problem when the window was first
becoming activated, then updated.  If the window was not active, was
blocked, and the blocking window was moved aside without activating the
first window, then the TEUpdate followed different logic in the ROM and
disaster was averted.  If the window was activated and TEUpdate was
called (and drawing was actually required), then the subroutine starting
at $40C3D6 was called and the smashing of memory occured.
    I know this is longwinded and hopefully not too confusing to those
who are familar with programming the Mac.  Basically I am hoping (A) to
get some hints about how others have implemented multiple stacks and (B)
ideas for workarounds and (C) does anyone else think that calculating
free stack space this way is goofy or is it just me?

David Gelphman                  BITNET address: DAVEG@SLACVM
Bin #88 SLAC                    ARPANET address:  DAVEG@SLACVM.BITNET
Stanford, Calif. 94305          UUCP address: ...psuvax1!daveg%slacvm.bitnet
415-854-3300 x2538

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 10 Feb 87 13:27 EST
Sender: JimC@a
Subject: Weird ImageWriter II behavior
From: jimc%acorn@live-oak.lcs.mit.edu

This is an odd one.  Comments and/or fixes appreciated.  The
problem occurs with the Sheetfeeder attached to the ImageWriter
II, and when you are printing a MacWrite document, having
selected the automatic printing mode and the medium quality print
setting.  What happens is that a certain page gets
skipped--usually page three.  Whatever page is skipped, it is
always this page, no matter what document you print.  Actually,
the page isn't really skipped: the feeder fails to feed in a
sheet, and the printhead prints the page on the roller.  All the
subsequent pages are printed perfectly.

It seems that for some reason the end-of-page marker isn't there
or isn't being noticed; even so, why wouldn't the no-paper
detector stop the printing?

I've mucked around with various possible fixes and had no luck.
If I reprint the bad document a second time, no page will be
skipped, but if I leave MacWrite, come back in, and print again,
the same page will be skipped.

I haven't tried exorcism yet, but only because I can't get
someone in to do the job.

------------------------------

Date: Fri 6 Feb 87 15:19:18-PST
From: JAY HIRSH <HIRSH@BIONET>
Subject: Problem with MacDraw

We have been getting an error message with certain files when
attempting to print on the Laserwriter.  After giving the print
command, we get the Error message:
"Error: range check: Offending Command: GetInterval"

We are using MacDraw, version 1.7, system 3.2, finder 5.3.
Pasting the document into MacDraft does not fix the problem.  It still
won't print, & we get the same error message.

We've got some complex drawings that we'd like to print.  Does anyone
have a fix?

Mark Peifer (BIONET,HIRSH)
Harvard Medical School
617-732-1907 if you've got a quick fix.
thanks in advance.

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 10 Feb 87 18:06:49 PST
From: <ROBERTJ@yalevmx.bitnet>
Subject: Servant: new version?

I don't know about the rest of you, but I find Andy Hertzfeld's Servant to be
a pretty darn useful thing.  It's after Jan. 31, however, and Version .89 (the
latest version I'm aware of) has expired.  It's a pain to have to change
the date every time you want to use it.  (Whenever you try, it just says
"Sorry, this version has expired", and bumps you back to the Finder.)

I believe that Andy was to have come out with a newer version (post-.89)
by now.  Does anyone know if he actually has, or is he stalled with it?  I
haven't seen anything about it recently.

Thanks a lot for any information.  I do get Info-Mac, so posting to the net is
OK.  (Can I say that?)

 -- Robert Jellinghaus
    ROBERTJ@YALEVMX.BITNET

------------------------------

From: Paul Skuce
From: <ames!uwvax!seismo!mcvax!hatfield.ac.uk!comt-ps@cad.Berkeley.EDU
From: >
Date: Wed, 11 Feb 87 14:02:19 GMT
Subject: Re: MacModula2-ver4.0

We currently use MacModula2_Ver4.1 on our 512/E and MacPlus's and it is OK.
If any one has any SKEL or programs using the Toolbox, menu, loading files etc
we would be intrested in having a look. (We pay for the transatlantic bit)
	Regards
		Paul Skuce
Hatfield Polytechnic, School Information Science, P.O. box109
College Lane, Hatfield, England, AL10 9AB
	comt-ps%hatfield.ac.uk%mcvax%seismo%.. from States
	comt-ps%hatfield.ac.uk%mcvax%..		From Eur
	comt-ps@hatfield.ac.uk			JANET

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 9 Feb 87 16:19:22 PST
From: PUGH%CCC.MFENET@nmfecc.arpa
Subject: Missing Application Woes!

I posted a message a while back about that nasty message "Can't find
application" when the application is damn well there.  I got this response
from Larry Rosenstein at Apple:

>The resource in question is found in the Desktop file, type APPL, ID 0.  It
>contains a list of the application creator, the directory ID of the
>application, and the name of the application.  WHen the Finder needs to find
>an application, it does a linear search through the resource until it finds
>the proper application creator.
>
>If the Finder says it can't find an application, it is because the
>application in question isn't in this resource.  One reason it might work
>from some folders is that opening the folder containing the application
>"reveals" it to the Finder, and then it can launch the application.
>
>The fact that you had 5 different Desktop files is suspicious.  There should
>be a Desktop file only in the root directory.
>
>First, make sure you are using Finder 5.3 and System 3.2.  Other versions
>(e.g., System 3.0, 3.1) had bugs relating to resources.
>
>Second, try taking Qued out of its folder and placing it at the root (or on
>the desktop), and then putting it back again.  (I would put it away manually,
>by the way.)  This should indicate to the Finder that an application is
>moving and it should update its APPL resource.
>
>If that still doesn't work, I would try looking at the APPL resource in the
>Desktop file and see if the entry for Qued is there.  (If so, you can try
>deleting it and repeating step 2.)
>
>Larry

I had done some work to identify the problem and sent this message back to
Larry:

>Thanks for the response about my problems with the Missing Application
>problem.  Let me just state a couple things here for the record.
>
>I have been using the 3.2/5.3 combo since it's release.  I have no old System
>or Finder files lying around anywhere.  I avoid them like the plague.  That is
>too easy an answer for this situation.
>
>I had extra Desktop files in various directories of my Micahdrive.  I do not
>know where they came from so I deleted them and rebuilt the Desktop.  I have
>not tried throwing away the old Desktop, as I do not know what consequences
>that may have (besides losing all my window placement information).  I am now
>watching for spurious Desktop appearances so that I can identify their source.
>
>I have tracked the problem down to a certain file.  All other files will open
>except when this certain file is in an open folder.  As soon as that folder is
>open and the file is revealed, the Finder is unable to open QUED documents.  I
>have stashed this file in a dead-end folder and am saving it in hopes that you
>may have a clue as to what has caused it.  I have examined the Type and
>Creator fields, they are normal (TEXT,QED1).  I have examined the resources
>(EFNT,ETAB) and they appear normal.  The data is fine.  I used QUED to open
>the file and I copied it's contents to another file.  The new file behaves
>properly.  It even has the same name as the obnoxious one.
>
>So I am at a loss to explain the behavior except to note that it seems to
>follow a definate repeatable pattern instead of some inconsistant nonsense.
>The file has moved from folder to folder and it has remained a constant
>source of this problem.
>
>Any hints or clues would be appreciated.

I have not received a response, so I can only assume that he has no clue about
this file either.

In the meantime, I have examined the file some more and found a simple answer
to the whole problem.  The Bundle bit got set on this file.  I turned it off
and everything worked fine after that.  Such a deal!  I am not at all clear on
how the Bundle got set in the first place, but I would like anyone out there
having this problem to examine all the files in the folder that is giving this
problem for an errant Bundle bit.  If we can verify that this is the problem,
I can hack a program together that will clear the bundle bits of all files of
a certain type and/or creator.  So far the problem has been fairly isolated so
there hasn't been a need.

Jon

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 11 Feb 87 11:02:10 CST
From: kane%mycroft@gswd-vms.ARPA (Patrick E Kane)
Subject: MacPaint to Sun rasterfile converter

>From: Robert E Strout <strout@lll-lcc.ARPA>
>Subject: MacPaint to Sun rasterfile converter??

Here is a quick hack that I have used to look at MacPaint
pictures on my Sun 3/50.

Compile it on your Sun as say mp2sun, and then use it like this:

	mp2sun < macpaintfile > sunrasterfile
	screenload sunrasterfile

Pat Kane, Gould CSD, Urbana IL
==============================

#include <rasterfile.h>
#include <stdio.h>

/*
 * Convert MacPaint files  to Sun rasterfile format
 *
 * Patrick E. Kane, Gould CSD, Urbana, Illinois
 *
 * Bugs:  probably, this is a quick hack that has not
 *        been tested much
 */
#define MPW 576      /* MacPaint width */
#define MPH 720      /* MacPaint height */
#define MPB 51840    /* MacPaint Byte count */
#define MPHDR 512    /* macPaint Header */
struct rasterfile r;

main ()
{
  int outf = 1;
  int c;
  char b;
  FILE *fin = stdin;
  FILE *fout = stdout;

  r.ras_magic = RAS_MAGIC;		/* magic number */
  r.ras_width = MPW;    		/* width (pixels) of image */
  r.ras_height = MPH;     		/* height (pixels) of image */
  r.ras_depth = 1;		        /* depth (1, 8, or 24 bits) of pixel */
  r.ras_length = MPB;    		/* length (bytes) of image */
  r.ras_type   = RT_STANDARD;		/* type of file */
  r.ras_maptype = RMT_NONE;		/* type of colormap */
  r.ras_maplength = 0;		        /* length (bytes) of following map */
  fwrite ( &r, sizeof (r), 1, fout);

  /*
   * color map follows for ras_maplength bytes, followed by image
   */
  read_painthdr(fin);
  while ((c = getbits(fin)) != EOF)
  {
     b = c;
     fwrite ( &b, 1, 1, fout);
  }
}

read_painthdr(fp)
FILE *fp;
{
	fseek(fp, (long)MPHDR, 0);  /* discard the header */
}

/*
 * unpack MacPaint bytes
 */
getbits(fp)
FILE *fp;
{
	static int count, rep, chr;
	int c;

	if (rep) {
		rep--;
		return chr;             /* return repeated byte */
	}
	if (count) {
		count--;
		return getc(fp);
	}
	c = getc(fp);
	if (c & 0x80) {			/* repeated character count */
		rep = 0x100 - c;	/* byte length 2's comp + 1 */
					/* 	allow for this call */
		chr = getc(fp);		/* character to repeat */
		return chr;
	}
	else {
		count = c;		/* already counted this char */
		return getc(fp);
	}
}

------------------------------

Date: 9 Feb 1987 16:29-EST
From: Walter.Smith@k.cs.cmu.edu
Subject: DA-WINDOW-TILER.HQX

Before I got LightspeedC, I used Megamax.  The only thing I missed was being
able to tile the windows in the editor--that is, to have the windows
automatically sized so that they were all visible at once.

I have written a desk accessory that tiles windows in almost any
application.  The DA is freely distributable as long as it is not modified
and always copied with documentation.  Below is a Binhex4/Packit file
(uncompressed) containing the DA and a short text-only document.

 Walter Smith, Math/CS undergraduate, Carnegie-Mellon University
  uucp: ...!seismo!cmu-cs-k!wrs          ARPA: wrs@k.cs.cmu.edu
  usps: 5139 Forbes Ave.; Pittsburgh, PA  15213

[
archived as [SUMEX-AIM.Stanford.EDU]<INFO-MAC>DA-WINDOW-TILER.HQX

DoD
]

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 10 Feb 87 11:11:08 PST
From: PUGH%CCC.MFENET@nmfecc.arpa
Subject: Bug Fix for ShowSizes (ooops)

It was brought to my attention that my posting of ShowSizes had
a very simpleminded bug in the grow routine.  I missed it since
I have been using the Zoom box in just about every program.  It
was a simple thing to fix and now the program should hold up to
more strenuous abuse than merely resizing the window.

This should replace UTILITY-SHOWSIZES.HQX in the archive.

Jon

[
I have replaced the earlier version of the program with this one.

archived as [SUMEX-AIM.Stanford.EDU]<INFO-MAC>UTILITY-SHOWSIZES.HQX

DoD
]

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 10 Feb 87 14:49:29 EST
From: mss@andrew.cmu.edu
Subject: MACUNDERGROUND.HQX (in 8 parts)

Here is a "starter package" for MacUnderground, which is a
pay-subscription computer BBoard.  See old MacUser/MacWorlds
for details.  Among other things, they distribute a computer
newsletter called MacWeek.  The file contains a) Courier, the
communications program needed to use their bboard (password
"demo" lets you play with the system), b) a list of current
"Safehouses" that you can dial into, c) an order form to get a
real account, d) uFilm reader, a program for reading MacWeeks,
and e) two MacWeeks. The uFilm reader is fun to play with.

[
archived as

[SUMEX-AIM.Stanford.EDU]<INFO-MAC>MACUNDERGROUND-PART1.HQX
[SUMEX-AIM.Stanford.EDU]<INFO-MAC>MACUNDERGROUND-PART2.HQX
[SUMEX-AIM.Stanford.EDU]<INFO-MAC>MACUNDERGROUND-PART3.HQX
[SUMEX-AIM.Stanford.EDU]<INFO-MAC>MACUNDERGROUND-PART4.HQX
[SUMEX-AIM.Stanford.EDU]<INFO-MAC>MACUNDERGROUND-PART5.HQX
[SUMEX-AIM.Stanford.EDU]<INFO-MAC>MACUNDERGROUND-PART6.HQX
[SUMEX-AIM.Stanford.EDU]<INFO-MAC>MACUNDERGROUND-PART7.HQX
[SUMEX-AIM.Stanford.EDU]<INFO-MAC>MACUNDERGROUND-PART8.HQX

DoD
]

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 10 Feb 87 14:21:09 EST
From: mss@andrew.cmu.edu
Subject: DEMO-MACAPL (in 10 parts)

This is the demo version of MacAPL by Leptonic Systems (uploaded
with permission -- may be further uploaded if all files are
copied and unmodified). Demo version does not allow saving of
workspaces but otherwise seems complete.
	    -Mark

[
archived as

[SUMEX-AIM.Stanford.EDU]<INFO-MAC>DEMO-MACAPL-PART1.HQX
[SUMEX-AIM.Stanford.EDU]<INFO-MAC>DEMO-MACAPL-PART2.HQX
[SUMEX-AIM.Stanford.EDU]<INFO-MAC>DEMO-MACAPL-PART3.HQX
[SUMEX-AIM.Stanford.EDU]<INFO-MAC>DEMO-MACAPL-PART4.HQX
[SUMEX-AIM.Stanford.EDU]<INFO-MAC>DEMO-MACAPL-PART5.HQX
[SUMEX-AIM.Stanford.EDU]<INFO-MAC>DEMO-MACAPL-PART6.HQX
[SUMEX-AIM.Stanford.EDU]<INFO-MAC>DEMO-MACAPL-PART7.HQX
[SUMEX-AIM.Stanford.EDU]<INFO-MAC>DEMO-MACAPL-PART8.HQX
[SUMEX-AIM.Stanford.EDU]<INFO-MAC>DEMO-MACAPL-PART9.HQX
[SUMEX-AIM.Stanford.EDU]<INFO-MAC>DEMO-MACAPL-PART10.HQX

DoD
]

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 3 Feb 87 10:24:14 pst
From: Larry Rosenstein <lsr%apple.csnet@RELAY.CS.NET>
Subject: Re: Find an application; Re: AppleShare

In article <8702021119.AA27746@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU> you write:

>Date: Thu, 29 Jan 87 10:38 EST
>From: Tom Dowdy
>Subject: Find an applicaton
>
>I have a question regarding GetAppParms.  Is there anyway for
>an application to know the vrefnum of where it is running from?

When an application starts up, the default volume will always be the volume
containing the application.  Therefore, a call to GetVol will do the trick.

>------------------------------
>
>Subject: AppleShare
>Date: Thu, 29 Jan 87 09:22:25 -0800
>
>Says here that it costs $799, and appears to take a dedicated Mac with
>a hard disk. The ad on the back of the first section shows a cute
>display with browse lists for available volumes and current users, as
>well as an "Activity" bar graph indicator (ranges from "idle" to
>"busy"!). But most of the screen real estate is taken up by a very
>large, overly cute AppleShare logo (a hand carrying a butler's tray
>with folder, application, and document icons on it).
>
>Anybody seen this work? How's it compare with TOPS or MacServe?

The activity display shows logged in users and how busy the server is.  This
is the default display; AppleShare can also run another service concurrently
on the server.  For example, Apple also announced LaserShare, which is a
LaserWriter spooler that can work with AppleShare.

I have never used TOPS or MacServe, but with AppleShare, you use Chooser to
select 1 or more file server volumes, and then get an icon for those volumes
on your desktop.  You can specify certain volumes to be mounted each time
you start your machine.  You generally supply a login name and password to
access a server, although you can also log in as a guest.

Once you have a server volume on-line, it works exactly like any other disk.
The only difference is that each folder on the server has access privileges
associated with it (a combination of see files, see folders, and make
changes).  Users and folders can also be assigned to groups, and you can
have group privileges.

Larry

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 11 Feb 87 09:44:24 est
From: mayerk@eniac.seas.upenn.edu (Kenneth Mayer)
Subject: Mind Prober

Tell your friend that Mind Prober is a sham. It is merely a text file with a
lookup table. Depending on what boxes you check, text from the table is
plugged into the main text file. Try it, you see the only difference between
someone who is younger than 18 is that 'sex' is replaced with 'play'
(an appropriate commentary perhaps, but hardly enlightening.)

Mind Prober is a proram in the high tradition of AI-hype; all glitter and no
substance whatsoever.

   /|---------------------------------------------------------------|\
  / |    ARPA:	mayerk@eniac.upenn.seas.EDU		            | \
 |  |    USnail:	Kenneth Mayer				    |  |
 |  |       	University of Pennsylvania, Moore School of Eng.    |  |
 -  |       	305 S. 41st St				            |  -
 |  |       	Philadelphia, PA 19104			            |  |
 |  |    GENIE:	MAYERK					            |  |
  \ |    CIS:	[73537,3411]				            | /
   \|---------------------------------------------------------------|/

------------------------------

From: <ptsfa!news@ames.arpa>
Date: 10 Feb 87 03:32:39 GMT
Subject: 220V 50Hz Mac+ ??

I am interested in purchasing a Mac+ that can run on 220V 50Hz power
possibly in addition to 110V 60Hz power.  Several dealers that I have
called have said that they won't/can't sell me such a thing.  They have
also said that the U.S. machines cannot be changed.  The latter may or
may not be true.  I have a rather poor opinion of dealer's technical
knowledge.

Apple, of course, refuse to talk with mere proles and won't give me an
answer, in fact they won't even let me question someone who might know.

Does anyone out there know the correct answer to any of these questions.
Assistance will be much appreciated.

Paul Wilcox-Baker

Work phone [415] 549 3854 Ext 36
Telex ITT 470844

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 6 Feb 87 17:53:14 pst
From: decwrl!mce@tc.fluke.com (Brian McElhinney)
Subject: 30Mb SCSI

I am looking for a 30 Mb or larger SCSI disk with matching (same
size) streaming tape backup.  The Mirror Technologies MagNet 40/40
is my current choice.  I would appreciate any comments on the 40/40,
or any other drive that meets my needs.

Brian McElhinney
John Fluke Mfg. Co., Inc.
uw-beaver!fluke!mce
fluke!mce@uw-beaver

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 10 Feb 87 16:16:24 PST
From: PUGH%CCC.MFENET@nmfecc.arpa
Subject: Random Observations

Some random observations:

Tops is working fine between my PC and my Mac.  I blows if I make it work too
hard, but it is pretty solid.  I am able to read 123 files with Excel and make
pretty graphs with them.  Now we'll see if I can't convince a few people that
Macs are better.  We'll also see how Appleshare competes since Tops does not
require a dedicated Mac.

When I ordered MPW, Pascal, and MacApp from APDA, I didn't realize their
computer was going to swamp me.  So far I have gotten no less than seven
invoices.  Two of them are 1:10 minutes apart and came in different envelopes.
It's pretty amusing, but at least my stuff arrived.  They have been very nice
about it too.  I got MPW 1.0.1 and Pascal 1.0, but MacApp 1.0b2 with a promise
of an update.  I also ordered the hardcopy listings, but they seem smart
enough not to mail them.  I hope they are waiting for the 1.0 release so that
I don't get out of date copies.

Jon

         N         L                          pugh@nmfecc.arpa
          M    A    L          National Magnetic Fusion Energy Computer Center
           F    T    N             Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory
            E         L                       PO Box 5509 L-561
             C                           Livermore, California 94550
              C                                (415) 423-4239

End of INFO-MAC Digest