[mod.mac] INFO-MAC Digest V5 #52

INFO-MAC@SUMEX-AIM.STANFORD.EDU.UUCP (02/14/87)

INFO-MAC Digest          Friday, 13 Feb 1987       Volume 5 : Issue 52

Today's Topics:
                           EDIT Transfer Menu
                      header files for laserwriters
                                 mp2sun
                     Multi-tasking and macDraw error
                  Re: MapRgn clobbering multiple stacks
            Re: Altering Save dialog box defaults in MacDraw
                          re: 220V 50Hz Mac+ ??
                        re: Mac Plus ROM versions
                  RE: Drawing to the screen from INITs
                              Pathname FKEY
               Idealiner 1.8 - Shareware Outline Processor
                           Go program, v1.0b2
                              DEMO-WRITENOW
                              MIDIScope.hqx
                            Mac II First Look
                    SCSI Tape Drives for Mac and IBM
                            Ribbon re-inkers
         Another feature dropped because of early memory limits
                      Technical Publishing meeting

Date: Thu, 12 Feb 87 11:19 EDT
From: ELIOT%cs.umass.edu@RELAY.CS.NET
Subject: EDIT Transfer Menu

I seem to recall that EDIT interprets the initial items on the
transfer menu specially.  Your custom transfer items must be
ADDED to the end of the menu as new items.  You cannot change the
existing ones.

The existing transfer items are associated with certain
file "extensions", .ASM for example.  Files with those
extensions are actually passed directly to the
application you transfer to.  As far as I know this feature
cannot be customized, but I would be interested in knowing
how to do so if anyone knows.
Chris Eliot

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 12 Feb 87 08:45 EST
From: VX1245%suny-bing.csnet@RELAY.CS.NET
Subject: header files for laserwriters

I have a Laserwriter hooked to a SUN workstation and various microvaxes
which primarily prints TeX documents.  Occasionally someone wants to print
a MacWrite, MacDraw, or MacPaint document.  To accomplish this, I extracted
a laser header file from my Mac system file, which I prefix to Postscript
files originating from a Mac.  This seems to work except in one circumstance.
A MacPaint document which was "printed" with smoothing turned on, has a call
to a routine called /smooth, which doesn't seem to exist.  I know it's
somewhere, because these documents print if the Mac and Laserwriter are
connected in the usual fashion.  Does anyone know where this routine is
located?

Fred Sullivan
Dept. Math. Sci.
SUNY @ Binghamton
vx1245@suny-bing.csnet

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 13 Feb 87 10:14 GMT
From: Ralph <MartinRR%multics.cardiff.ac.uk@Cs.Ucl.AC.UK>
Subject: mp2sun

This looks really useful.  I just have one problem.  How do you get the
macpaint file onto the sun in the first place ?

Ralph

Please reply to me directly, as info-mac doesnt always reach here
successfully.

------------------------------

Date: 11 Feb 87 12:37 EST
From: HALLETT JEFFREY A            <HALLETT@ge-crd.arpa>
Subject: Multi-tasking and macDraw error

Hello all!

   I would like to first ask a question; i drew a fairly large (< 1 page)
diagram for a paper in MacDraw.  Then I selected it, copied it to the
clipboard and tried to quit and it told me "macdraw cannot now paste
outside of MacDraw:  try removing some documents".  Well, the diagram
was on a floppy with ~700K available and MacDraw lives on a harddisk with
about 15Mb available.  I don't believe there was a space constraint.
Any suggestions?
(Now I have to print separately and manually cut and paste!  EEEE-yoooo!)

  There has been a lot of multitasking talk going around, and I would like
to throw in my two cents.  I don't believe the Macintosh should be a
multi-tasking machine standard.  The VAST majority of Macintosh users do
not have a need for multitasking; Switcher satisfies most of their
multi-programming needs.  The person who stated that he needs multitasking
for his Aztec C is very much in the minority I'm afraid.

  I personally, have never needed multitasking on the Mac.  Most of what I
have to do takes so little time, that to have another process in the
background would be a waste.  Most of the applications I use are of the
interactive sort and aren't large enough that extensive re-draw or re-
calculations (ala Excel) take a lot of time.  "Well, what about
compiling?" you say.  Well, I am not the sort of make-little-hacks-and-
hope-it-works-this-time programmer.  If there is an error or a series of
errors, I try to find as many errors as possible at a time, and then
carefully examine them and find reasonable design corrections.  Usually,
by the time I'm ready to compile again, I'm ready to go to the bathroom,
or get something to drink so the compile time is welcome.
  However, there are some applications I'm sure, that would demand
multitasking environments (printing, downloading are the ones I have come
across that would help me), so the capability should be there if needed.
Servant is a great idea just for this case.  When it is perfected, it will
make a great addition to the usefulness and productivity of the Mac
environment.  However, I hope Apple isn't gunning to make a killing, because
I don't think enough people really need it that are willing to shell out
large amounts of money for it.

  So to sum up this rather arduous text, I wouldn't want to see the Finder
replaced by a multi-tasker permanently.  However, I think the availability
of some Servant-like replacement for those people who need it is essential.

JAH

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 12 Feb 87 16:40:22 mst
From: dlc@LANL.ARPA (Dale Carstensen)
Subject: Re: MapRgn clobbering multiple stacks

I suppose you want to share the application heap among your processes, so
this wouldn't help, but you could try multiple heaps.

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 13 Feb 87 11:48:43 PST
From: <DAVEG@slacvm.bitnet>
Subject: Re: Altering Save dialog box defaults in MacDraw

  I'm very sure that you can't change a default value in a dialog like
you want without actually modifying the program itself (modifying the
resources with RESEDIT won't cut it). You could interchange the item numbers
of the buttons in the resource editors but that is merely changing the label
of the button NOT the functionality. I've found many places where I'd like
to do exactly what you want to do, but you have to CHANGE the CODE not just
the resources themselves.
  I poked around a little bit with MacNosy and found out how to modify
the program so that PICT is the default setting in the SAVE AS dialog.
To modify MacDraw follow the following steps:

1. MAKE A COPY OF YOUR ORIGINAL MACDRAW APPLICATION AND WORK WITH THE
   COPY, NOT THE ORIGINAL
2. Use FEDIT (or similar file/disk editor) and open the copy of the
   MacDraw application you wish to change. Search for the Hex string:

       4880 D07C 0009
and change it to
       4880 D07C 000A

make sure you write the changes to disk and you are done.
  I've tested this and it does work. Warning: Some people have found that
if you try and save a macdraw format document in PICT format and do NOT
change the filename from the original MacDraw document you can have
problems. Don't save over the same filename IF you are converting to
PICT format. Note also that the PICT format in MacDraw currrently has more
bugs in it than the MacDraw format stuff.
  Hope this helps.

David Gelphman                  BITNET address: DAVEG@SLACVM
Bin #88 SLAC                    ARPANET address:  DAVEG@SLACVM.BITNET
Stanford, Calif. 94305          UUCP address: ...psuvax1!daveg%slacvm.bitnet
415-854-3300 x2538

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 13 Feb 87  15:06:44 EST
From: JURGEN%UMASS.BITNET@wiscvm.wisc.edu
Subject: re: 220V 50Hz Mac+ ??

Well, you can buy 220 Volt Macs in Europe, of course, but at least that
indicates that they exist. The only real difference is the power supply
board which can be replaced by anyone without much tinkering so long as
you have the tools to open a Mac case. If you can't find a 220 Volt power
supply in the US, consider making a long distance call to an apple dealer
in Europe, and having it Air-Mailed to you.

It used to be that case with the old apple ][s that you could get 3 versions
of the power supply (which was also very easy to exchange in that machine).
A 220 volt 50 Hz version, a 110, 60 one, and one that was switchable from
the outside of the machine without any modification whatsoever... It is
possible that a similar device is available for the Mac, but i have not
heard anything to that effect.
                                          ...good luck.
                                             - Jurgen E Botz

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 13 Feb 87 11:50:39 PST
From: <DAVEG@slacvm.bitnet>
Subject: re: Mac Plus ROM versions

   As far as I know there have been TWO different versions of the 128K
ROMS that have been put into production machines. The difference in the
two versions is that the most recent allow you to use your Mac even when
a SCSI disk is connected but powered off. Our first MacPlus here at work
(which arrived within a month or two of the January 1986 release)
was INOPERABLE when we connected the SCSI disk and didn't turn it on. All
the Macs we had upgraded from 512k and (gasp) 128k to MacPlus work with
the SCSI disk off. I believe that if you upgraded your Mac, you got the
most recent version of the 128K ROM and you should be fully identical to
the Mac+'s rolling off the line today.

Date: Sun, 1 Feb 87 03:04 EST
From: <ARAJ@CRNLVAX5.BITNET>
Subject: RE: Drawing to the screen from INITs

RE: INFO-MAC Digest   V5 #46
    From: PUGH%CCC.MFENET@nmfecc.arpa

>Ok, here I go again.  Yes, I refuse to let well enough alone.  Now I am trying
>to write to the screen during an INIT.  It ain't easy.  A5 is screwed and so
>are all the initialization routines.  That means I can't use the window
>manager to create a grafport to draw in.  Everything just hangs.

Actually, it's easy.  You don't have to put the QuickDraw globals at their
usual position in memory.  I put them in the stack and obtained a pointer to
their location to pass to InitGraf.  The source code for an INIT that I had
written which prints the name of the startup volume on the screen is below:
It is in Lightspeed Pascal format.

{$I-}
UNIT DrawStartupVolName;
 INTERFACE
  PROCEDURE main;
 IMPLEMENTATION
  PROCEDURE main;
   VAR
    vName : STRING[27];
    vRefNum : integer;
    dummyint : integer;
    gp : GrafPtr;
    ThePort : ARRAY[0..206] OF byte;
  BEGIN {procedure main}
   InitGraf(pointer(longint(@ThePort) + 206 - 4));
   gp := pointer(NewPtr(108));
   OpenPort(gp);
   TextMode(SrcCopy);
   dummyint := GetVol(@vName, vRefNum);
   MoveTo(133, 119);
   DrawString(vName);
   ClosePort(gp);
   DisposPtr(pointer(gp));
  END; {procedure main}
END. {unit DrawStartupVolName}

--Mark J. Steiglitz
  ARAJ@CRNLVAX5.BITNET
  ARAJ@CORNELLA.BITNET
  steig@tcgould.tn.cornell.edu

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 13 Feb 87 10:50:54 PST
From: PUGH%CCC.MFENET@nmfecc.arpa
Subject: Pathname FKEY

After playing with MPW for awhile I have found that I end up typing as lot of
pathnames in.  Granted that MPW allows you to use variables for this, but I
still dislike typing them in.

In this regard the FKEY that I posted some time ago is quite handy.  I
would just like to remind people that it is there.  It is in the archive
under the name FKEY-PATHNAME.HQX and merely requires that you copy it into
your System (or MPW Shell if you so desire) to use it. When you call it up
(by hitting Command-Shift-6, which can be changed) it presents you with a
standard SFGetFile dialog.  When you select a file, that file's complete
pathname is copied to the Clipboard.  You may then paste it anywhere you
want.

This is good for making pathnames, partial or complete, for include files,
slideshows, and directory commands.  It certainly is less error prone than
typing a pathname in.

Jon

         N         L                          pugh@nmfecc.arpa
          M    A    L          National Magnetic Fusion Energy Computer Center
           F    T    N             Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory
            E         L                       PO Box 5509 L-561
             C                           Livermore, California 94550
              C                                (415) 423-4239

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 5 Feb 87 21:42:05 EST
From: mayerk@linc.cis.upenn.edu (Kenneth Mayer)
Subject: Idealiner 1.8 - Shareware Outline Processor

This is the most recent (as of 2/5/87) version of Idealiner.  This
version represents a great improvement over version 1.0 which was
uploaded to IM this January.  Anyone who is even considering using an
outline processor should look at this!  The outline consists of a tree
and text windows that "hang" off each node of the tree.  You can cut and
paste everything, and there is an internal "scrapbook" feature where
parts of the outline can be stored and edited.  Header numbering,
table of contents, and the ability to open a textfile in a separate
window from the outline so you can copy and paste from other documents
without leaving Idealiner are other nifty features.

Idealiner has been given a good deal of support by members of Coffee MUG on
GEnie, where I got the file.  People who use Acta have said that they
like Idealiner too!  Please, support this product if you use it.  It
is cheap for $30, and comparable to ThinkTank in power and
versatility.  The author has committed himself to online support on
GEnie and has been updating the product frequently (Version 2 is in
alpha testing alredy).

If there are people who are already using Idealiner, but don't have
access to GEnie, I'll forward comments, bug reports, etc. to the
author for you.  This product could be the RedRyder of text processing
software!

(A very satisfied customer)

[
archived as [SUMEX-AIM.Stanford.EDU]<INFO-MAC>IDEALINER-18.HQX

DoD
]

------------------------------

Date: Sat,  7 Feb 87 01:23:36 PST
From: <LOGANJ@byuvax.bitnet>
Subject: Go program, v1.0b2

This is version 1.0B2 of the Go program for the Macintosh.  This
file is about 137,XXX bytes long.  When unhexed it is 98.5K bytes.

Recent improvements to the program are as follows:

- You can now set the baud rate and other modem port characteristics
  from within the program, for playing games between two Macs.  If
  you play through modems over telephone lines, for example, you can
  communicate by typing on the keyboard - a line of text is sent to
  the opponent when you hit the return key.
- The program will give a short analysis of a board position, showing
  the number of primary liberties (max about 8), number of secondary
  liberties (max 8), and the result of a simple ladder.
- The program will now display the "Reasons for Computer Moves".

Other recent improvements include more reasonable end of game scoring
and the ability to add symbols to handicap stones.

I have tested the communications between two Macs and it seems to work
okay.

This is public domain, so you may give it to friends and post to
bulletin boards.

Regards,
Jim

[
archived as [SUMEX-AIM.Stanford.EDU]<INFO-MAC>GAME-GO.HQX

DoD
]

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 12 Feb 87 09:50:04 EST
From: mss@andrew.cmu.edu
Subject: DEMO-WRITENOW

This is the demo (sample) version of WriteNow. It seems to
do everything WriteNow does except that it prints an ad
when you print your document (and the spelling checker
and file-converter aren't around.) Uploaded to INFO-MAC
with permission from T/Maker and NeXT.

[
archived as

[SUMEX-AIM.Stanford.EDU]<INFO-MAC>DEMO-WRITENOW-PART1.HQX
[SUMEX-AIM.Stanford.EDU]<INFO-MAC>DEMO-WRITENOW-PART2.HQX
[SUMEX-AIM.Stanford.EDU]<INFO-MAC>DEMO-WRITENOW-PART3.HQX

DoD
]

------------------------------

Date: 3 Feb 87 19:44:04 EST
From: Jeffrey Shulman <SHULMAN@RED.RUTGERS.EDU>
Subject: MIDIScope.hqx

[ Uploaded from Delphi by Jeff Shulman ]

Name: MIDISCOPE
Date: 3-FEB-1987 00:21 by RMUHA

MIDIScope is a serious data capture and analysis utility.  It features a
trace buffer with symbolic display, a programmable message filter, a
programmable data matcher and a real-time display with peak, average and
histogram modes. It has a variety of uses: diagnostic tool, visual aid for
teaching, etc.

(This file must be converted with BinHex 4.0)

[
archived as [SUMEX-AIM.Stanford.EDU]<INFO-MAC>UTILITY-MIDISCOPE.HQX

DoD
]

------------------------------

Date: 11 Feb 87 20:23:34 EST
From: Jeffrey Shulman <SHULMAN@RED.RUTGERS.EDU>
Subject: Mac II First Look

[ Uploaded from Delphi by Jeff Shulman ]

Name: MAC II FIRST LOOK
Date: 11-FEB-1987 11:55 by MACINTOUCH

[ Updated 11-FEB-1987 11:55 by MACINTOUCH. Improvements in accuracy and detail.
]

"MacInTouch" report on the unannounced Mac II computer from Apple - this is a
five-page MacWrite document describing the new computer.

[
archived as
[SUMEX-AIM.Stanford.EDU]<INFO-MAC>REPORT-MAC2-FIRSTLOOK.HQX

DoD
]

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 13 Feb 1987 13:31 PST
From: HMICHEL%CALSTATE.BITNET@wiscvm.wisc.edu
Subject: SCSI Tape Drives for Mac and IBM

     I have found vendors that supply SCSI tape drives for Macs and I have
found vendors that supply SCSI tape drives for IBMs but I haven't found a
vendor that has software for both machines for the same tape drive.

     My goal is to use one tape drive for both machines (not simultaneously).
Has anybody out there accomplished this?

     Thanks.

   Michael W. Fleming
   Instructional Computing Consultant
   Computer Services
   California State College
   9001 Stockdale Highway
   Bakersfield, Ca. 93311-1099
   Telephone: (805) 833-2309  -or-  (805) 833-2115  {message}

   BITNET:      HMICHEL@CALSTATE
   ARPANET:     HMICHEL%CALSTATE.BITNET@WISCVM.WISC.EDU
   COMPUSERVE:  72437,2270       {Seldom used, too expensive}

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 12 Feb 87  10:53:37 EST
From: JURGEN%UMASS.BITNET@wiscvm.wisc.edu
Subject: Ribbon re-inkers

My printing needs have grown considerably over the last few months, and
I am beginning to feel the fairly high price of Imagewriter ribbons in
my budget. Also, I have had several bad experiences with "generic"
ribbons, and ribbons bought from non-apple dealers. All these things
considered, I think that buying a re-inker might be well worth my time,
but I'd like to first hear from some people who have used such a device.
Is the quality of the recycled ribbon comparable to a new ribbon? How
often can the process be performed before the carrier material wears out
on one ribbon? etc. ...
                                  ...thanx in advance...

                                       Jurgen E Botz

------------------------------

Date: Tue 10 Feb 87 00:40:38-EST
From: "Bob Soron" <Mly.G.Pogo%OZ.AI.MIT.EDU@XX.LCS.MIT.EDU>
Subject: Another feature dropped because of early memory limits

An excerpt from William Poundstone's new book "Bigger Secrets":

"A secret animation called Mr. Macintosh is rumored to be
 hidden in Apple's Macintosh computer.  Supposedly, after you
 turn the computer on so many times, an animated figure will
 appear on the screen, zip around a bit, and then disappear,
 not to be seen again.

"There is some credibility to this.  The Macintosh contains a
 battery that powers a small part of the computer memory even
 when the computer is turned off.  The computer 'remembers'
 some information, such as the time and date, from one work
 session to the next.  ...

"Bigger Secrets asked Andy Hertzfeld, a programmer who worked
 on the Macintosh's operating system, about Mr. Macintosh.
 According to him, Mr. Macintosh was Steve Jobs's idea circa
 1981.  The plan was that every ten-thousandth time, say, the
 user displayed a menu of commands, an animated figure would
 appear.  It became clear that Mr. Macintosh would require more
 memory or disk space than could be justified for pure whimsy,
 however.  The idea was dropped.

"Even so, the Macintosh operating system is built to
 accommodate Mr. Macintosh.  Whenever a menu is to be
 displayed, a part of the operating system called the Menu
 Manager checks a certain memory address.  This address is not
 revealed in the technical manual, but a dedicated hacker could
 probably find it, Hertzfeld suggests. Normally, this memory
 location contains 0.  But when it is not 0, Mr. Macintosh is
 -- or would be -- activated.  A programmer could contain a Mr.
 Macintosh subroutine and insert it in the Macintosh system
 files."

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 10 Feb 87 14:32:18 PST
From: rocket%orion.span@Jpl-VLSI.ARPA
Subject: Technical Publishing meeting

There was a meeting of the Macintosh Engineering Users Group in Denver on
Friday February 6 1987.  The topic was Technical publishing on the Mac so I
though I would pass on my obvservations of the meeting.

The meeting started with the Chairman, Peter Mullineaux, giving a review of
results from the MacWorld.  His demos of Macspin, Versaterm Pro and Design
were interesting.  We didn't really see enough to form a firm impression.

One of the best reports was from John Connell of Martin Marietta, Space
Station Division.  (His presentation using More and a video projector looked
very good as well.) They are preparing a multibillion dollar propsal to build
the space station. Most of the work in the proposal is being done on 230 Macs
and 60 Laserwriters. Most of the Macs are in Appletalk networks of from 2 to
12 Macs.  Larger networks were tried, but the smaller working group size
proved to be more practical.

The numbers on the project are stagering by most standards. Each Mac
generated an average of 74 pages/week of laser writer output (74 pages * 230
Macs * 4 weeks = 68000 pages/month). Transparencies, that were final output
(you do your testing on paper) are running at 2500/month.  About 50% of the
pages are artwork, mostly generated in Draw. This project has about 300
authors who must maintain a consistant style over the whole document.
A policy on artwork (fonts, line weights, fill styles ect.) was created and
all artwork is verified by a graphic art group.

The advantages are that the results are more accurate and have a faster
turnaround.  The accuracy comes from the engineers getting what they want
rather than what the drafters think they want (WYGIWYW?). Having all the art
and text in a computer reabable form allows faster changes and allows changes
to occur beyond the time when a traditional text would have to be frozen.
This encourages a better product (proposal).  An additional benefit is that
the training time on the Mac is so short that most of the people will use it.
Almost none of the people had used Macs before.  The engineers were allowed
to use yellow pads and pencils if they prefered it. The estimates on the
project manegment are that they saved 5 times the cost of the Mac equipment
in improved efficiency (less manpower). That is the bottom line folks.

The other end of the spectrum was in a report on Mac publishing in the
trenches by Wayne Moore of ITT.  Rather than 300 authors to be coordinated,
he is the author, publisher, art department, and gofer in preparing technical
manuals.  He found that by mixing matching and kludging Draw, Word 1.05 and
Tempo that he could get most of what he needed done. He particularly thought
that Tempo was essential to getting things done.  His experience with
Pagemaker was not as positive.  In particular he found that Pagemaker was too
clumsy to use in a document like a technical manual that required many
changes as it went from alpha to beta to release versions.

Ed Glassgow of Scott Cox Associates gave a review of Word 3.0 which is still
is beta testing (last week). The review was luke warm at best. Wrod 3.0 has
lots of features, table of contents, style sheets, indexing, formater but is
still not What You See Is What You Get (WYSIWYG). The previewer is limited
for laser use because you can't preview at a laser reduction.  The
documentation was several inches thick, but still didn't explain all you
needed to know. The program was not user friendly, many of the features were
barried in the documentation.  It was described as still fairly slow, and this
sparked speculation that it was really designed to work on the rumored new Mac
hardware.

Joost Romeu of the Denver Post ran through some nice things he had seen at
Macworld and then gave a demo of Adobe Illistrator.  This looks to be a very
impressive package for doing primarily line drawing. The beta copy seems very
solid and he deminstrated the fine grain control that Illistrator allows.
Lines can be controlled by spline control points, the weight of each line can
be controlled, the spacings of dashed lines and others.  The multiple screen
cut and paste looked quite handy and worked well. Seperate x and y scaling of
figures with or without scaling the line weights allows practical mixing of
different sized images.  The program is reasonably fast and described as much
faster than Cricket Draw.  Over all it looked good if you are in the market
for a top end ($495) drawing package.

Bob Bollenbacher of National Teleprinting gave use some tips for using the
Lintronics 100 Postcript printer.  The advantages are that: the resolution is
1270 lines/inch versus the 300 dots/inch resolution of the Laser printer, the
contrast is better controled, when you ask for black you will always get
black, and the precision is better, one inch requested on input will measure
one inch on the final output. The laserwriter is known to very the contrast
from toner cartrage to cartrage and size variations of a couple of percent
are not uncommon.  The disadvantages of the Lintronics are that: it is less
forgiving, costs much more and the high resolution can be a disadvantage to
bitmapped graphics.  The memory of the Lintronics 100 is only about that of
the laserwriter, but with 4 times the resolution, it can more quickly fill
that memory, so that images that will print on the laserwriter will fail on
the Lintronics.  This particularly happens if more than 2-3 fonts are used
and/or bitmapped graphics are on a page.  The supply costs are at least 10
times as high for the Lintronics as for the laserwriter, which doesn't
include effort or markup at a commercial printer.  Bitmapped graphics can
actually look beeter on the laserwriter than the Lintronics because the toner
in the laserwriter will smooth out image to a more pleasing appearence
(object oriented images from Draw will still look better on the Lintronics).

Finally the best looking piece of vaporware.  I saw some features and talked
to a rep for Techscriber from Mansfield Systems. If it comes up to the
advanced billing it will allow easy WYSIWYG tables, math, flowcharts and text
with all the nicities you would want in a technical publication.  This
includes tables of contents, tables, figures, numbered equations, in line
equations, footnotes, references, and images.  Basically what they promise
is the power of TeX or Troff in an easy to use package.  What I saw made
that look possible, but this is not a finished product yet.  They told
me they expect to ship in June and they don't even have a demo disk yet
(despite ads that have been running in the national magazines for several
months.)  They do talk a good line, I hope they can deliver.

Sorry this has gone on so long, it was an unusually good meeting. I've left
out some things (hard as that may seem to believe) and I apologise if I
corrupted anyones talk in my notes.  Several of the talks used beta relese
software and that is subject to change. You should probably sprinkle
trademark notes liberaly through the above descriptions.  I don't have
anything to gain from any of these products except as a possible user.
Happy Macing.

Mike Jones			Bitnet:  rocket@cololasp
LASP, Campus box 392		phone:   (303)492-1295
University of Colorado		SPAN:    orion::rocket
Boulder CO 80027		ARPA:    rocket@orion@jpl-vlsi.arpa

End of INFO-MAC Digest