Date: Mon, 16 Feb 87  22:05:15 EST
From: salamir%UMASS.BITNET@wiscvm.wisc.edu
Subject: Serial Driver

I am attempting to develop a BBS system for the Macintosh and cannot get
the serial routines to work.  Does anyone out there have any serial driver
routines working with Lightspeed C (or any other C for that matter) that
they would be willing to send me?  It would save me a serious amount
of time!

RLussier
Internet:  Salamir@Umass.BITNET

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 18 Feb 87 15:37 PST
From: <C9017%UWAV4.BITNET@wiscvm.wisc.edu>
Subject: Updating the screen after a dialog box

Howdy,
    I have a problem/question.  I am writing my own application in Pascal
and call dialog boxes frequently (as a part of the interface).  Whenever a
dialog box is drawn on the screen and after it is 'disposed' of, there is
usually a blank patch on the screen.  I have problems drawing graphics to
the blank area.  I have seen some programs which 'rebuild' the blank area of
the screen after a dialog box (or even a desk accessory disappears).  Can
somebody please give me some idea how this is done and just how difficult
it is to perform this feat of magic?

    Also, I have what will probably seem a trivial problem to those folks
who are Mac programmers.  I have been working on a program which creates
a text output file.  I have been able to get to the point where if I
double-click on one of the files created by my application, it will launch
the application (as if I double-clicked on the application).  My question
is:  How do I know which text file has been double-clicked and where in
my program do I put such a call?  I assume that it has to do with the
call GetFInfo?  Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Many Thanks,

Bob Ruderman
Department of Geography
University of Washington
Seattle, Washington 98195

Bitnet:  C9017@UWAV4.BITNET
Arpanet: C9017%UWAV4.BITNET@WISCVM.ARPA
Usenet:  C9017%UWAV4.BITNET@WISCVM.WISC.EDU

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 17 Feb 87 11:56:10 PST
From: <JURVIS@aplvm.bitnet>
Subject: LaserWriter problem

"I need some help with sending PostScript to the LaserWriter Plus."

  I have written a set of plotting subroutines in Aztec C that runs on the
Macintosh. As an option the plot can be recorded as a 'picture' and sent to
the Clipboard for pasting into MacWrite or MacDraw, etc.  I have also ported
these routines to our Apollo network.

  I have just recently added to the Apollo version the option for generating
the equivalent PostScript commands and sending them to a file. We have a
PostScript driver for our dotmatrix printer (slow, but it works), and the
resulting plots come out just as expected - just at 144 dpi.  What I want to
do is send this PostScript file to the LaserWriter Plus which is not in the
Apollo network.  I have access to the LaserWriter Plus throught the Macintosh
that is connected to our Apollos.

  I have tried:

     1) Using a 'PostScript Escape' font in Edit then Print...)ing - this
method has worked just fine with very small PostScript files I've created for
generating logos for our letterhead.  Result - printer accepts file but
doesn't print anything.  Once I did get an error message back that said
something about the offending command being "framedevice".

     2) Using the Downloading Program 'PostScript Dumper' V1.0B Feb '85 from
an old version of "Inside LaserWriter" - this has also worked for small
PostScript programs.  Result - printer accepts file but doesn't print
anything.  [As an aside, I have used this to send the error printing routine
to the LaserWriter Plus which prints out the message that it's loaded, but it
never seems to print errors.  I would also appreciate help on this.]

     3) Transferring the C source code for the plotting program to the
Macintosh, running it there, putting the picture in the Clipboard, pasting it
into MacDraw and printing it from there.  Result - it works.  The lines are
too thick (I could just draw it larger and print it at 50% or 25%) and the
patterned lines come out strange, but it prints!

     4) Same as 3) but generating PostScript file with command-f.  This file
is almost 1000 lines long - almost all LaserPrep subroutine calls.  Try to
print this using same technique as in 1). Result - printer accepts file but
doesn't print anything.
  I have been able to get 1) & 2) to work by stripping out about 900 lines of
code, that that is useless.  I'm out of options that I know of.  Any ideas out
there?  Are there new and better versions of the Inside LaserWriter (Plus)
programs available?

 Andy Scheck (JURVIS@APLVM.BITNET)
 Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Lab

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 17 Feb 87 17:26:28 est
From: levine@eniac.seas.upenn.edu (Jonathan M. Levine)
Subject: The Cache and cache bits.

  After discovering the extra speed the cache gives to the Finder, I tried
turning the Cache Bits on (via ResEdit) for a bunch of files.  I turned it
on for Switcher, MacWrite, MacDraw, Finder, Imagewriter, System...I think
that's it.

  Anyway, I was running Switcher 4.4 with a 128K Cache, and MacWrite and Draw
in 128K partitions.  Everything worked fine, except that when I switched, I
got the switcher window for a moment (that is, the current screen closed up
into the switcher screen before the switching animation started), and when I
saved my MacWrite document, I got thrown out of MacWrite (Switcher claimed
an I/O error).

  It turns out nothing is wrong with the document I saved -- I was able to go
back into MacWrite and print it in the same switcher session.  But this led
me to suspect that something is amiss with the cache.  Should I not be setting
the Cache bit on for certain applications?  If so, is there a list of
applications for which setting the bit is advisable/ill-advised?

Many thanks,
  Jonathan

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 15 Feb 87 22:50:37 PST
From: <GEISJBJ@uregina1.bitnet>
Subject: MacWrite to Troff Conversions

Does anybody know if the MacWrite to Troff Converter on file at MACSERVE on
BITNic is working correctly.  I downloaded a copy, installed the necessary
files on a PdP-11 running Unix 2.9BSD and compiled the code.  However, the
conversion routine crashes when I run it on the MacWrite '.data' file which
has been moved over from the Mac via MacGet/MacTerminal.
 It works fine on the example file that was sent along with the converter.
Could it be that it was designed for an old version of MacWrite (I am running
version 4.5).  Also, any further updates to the conversion package would be
appreciated, if they exist out there.  Thanks.

------------------------------

Date: Wed 18 Feb 87 17:03:18-EST
From: HORVATH@CWRU20
Subject: hardware help

I have a friend who is doing an electrical engineering senior project
at Case Western Reserve University--speech processing for the MAC 512.
We need access to the RS-422 serial port at a rate of 90 - 120K baud.
The incoming data will be an eight bit signal from an A to D converter.

1.  How can the baud rate of the RS-422 port be increased to the
    desired speed?

2.  Can the stop-start bits be neglected?

3.  What code is required to store the incoming data in RAM?  (70K bytes)

Please reply to me via e-mail at . . .
HORVATH%CWRU20@CU20B.COLUMBIA.EDU

Joe Horvath

------------------------------

Subject: Mac interface again
Date: Fri, 13 Feb 87 17:13:13 -0800
From: Kathleen Huddleston <gregory@ICSE.UCI.EDU>

One other thing that is really perplexing: Keeping the difference between
laser fonts and bit-mapped fonts clear when you view them from menus.
On our lab machines (which the students have customized extensively) there
are many many fonts with many many names. I have no idea which ones are
laser fonts and which are bit-mapped fonts. In application menus, there
should be different displays for the two (such as have laserfonts show up
in a different font on the menu). This is very confusing when different
people are using the same system. It's bound to get worse as more and more
fonts (of both ilks) become available.
Kathleen

------------------------------

Date: Wed 18 Feb 1987 10:04 CST
From: Samir Kaleem <XSAK%ECNCDC.BITNET@wiscvm.wisc.edu>
Subject: Questions, questions, questions...

Okay all...brace yourself...
I have a couple of questions and a couple of comments. Hope someone can
answer my questions.

1. How do you make the Mac+ use a default font other than Chicago?
Re-numbering works on the 64K rom Mac, but not on the Mac+.

2. My Imagewriter II has gone bonkers on me. It all started when I tried
printin some labels (should NEVER do that on an IW II). The foil in front
of the print head got screwed up. Folks...I've heard that taking the foil
off shouldn't make a difference, but that in fact isn't true. I got more
smudges and smears than ever before after I took the foil off. Now, the
tractor feeder is not working properly, or maybe it's that darn 1/2 inch
funny eject that the IW II does, but if I don't have a blank page before I
print, the paper gets jammed. To make matters worse, I can't put the head
in the first (nearest) position to the platten anymore because I get some
weird marks all the way from left to right where the head moves over the
paper. I know it isn't the plastic in front of the head since I took it
off, and there was still no difference. Can anyone explain that???

Sounds like a trip to my (harrumph) local dealer unless some one has some
suggestions.

3. On the lighter side of things, does anyone have the docs on how to play
the game GO? I got the game from a BBS recently, but there were no docs
with it, and I have no idea on how to play it (I've fooled around a little
with it though and it looks interesting). Would someone who has it care to
forward it to me?  Unfortunately us poor Bitnet users don't have access to
the INFO-MAC archives.  (Now wouldn't it be nice if the people incharge of
INFO-MAC archives could set up their system to accept mail requests?)

Now for my comments on DA's that I would like to see.

1. It certainly would be nice if someone could come up with a DA word
processor that would read any kind of word processor (MacWrite, WORD etc.)
file. Maybe even just display just the text part of the file without
formats. For people who don't have hard drives, it is a pain to have a DA
word processor and not be able to use it to check what's in a WP file
that's just been downloaded and have to quit the teminal program (or have
the wordprocessor using switcher) to look at the file.

2. How about a DA that let's you install fonts temporarily? There are DA's
that let you install DA's temporarily, so why not fonts? Then I don't have
to have different system disks with different fonts using up valuable disk
space. I'm just beginning to get into Mac programming, and shall certainly
look into how such a beast might work.

Samir Kaleem <xsak@ecncdc.bitnet>
             <xsak%ecncdc.bitnet@wiscvm.wisc.edu>

------------------------------

Subject: Two off-the-wall cents about multi-tasking and the MacFuture
Date: Mon, 16 Feb 87 23:32:07 -0800
From: duggie@portia.STANFORD.EDU

The Mac may indeed be useful to many people without multi-tasking, but
I am certain future software will require it or something like it.
Ten years from now, I hope, hypermedia will be readily available and
monolithic programs will begin to be replaced by 'applicationless
environments.'  What if adding a thesaurus or spreadhseet capability to
your existing word processing routines were no more complicated than
formatting a fresh disk is now-- the system detects that a new disk
contains a package of routines, you click OK and the routines are
integrated into the system.  Far-fetched, maybe, but just as assembly
replaced machine code and compilers continue to replace assembly
(I code in assembly too, no protests please), something must replace
monolithic applications as we know them today.

My point is that 'multi-tasking' (note the quotes) probably lies along
this evolutionary path.  I am more concerned about software evolution
than about the ability to print while I am typing, or compile while I
am editing, or receive messages while playing Shanghai (all of which
I would love to do).  The Mac put a fairly sophisticated graphics
interface and toolbox of routines into the hands of many programmers
and users, and has allowed much experimentation and innovation.
Clearly, this potential is what allowed the Mac to survive its 128K
days.  It will only survive its 1M, 68020 days if it continues to
provide a window into the software future.

I agree with Alan Kay, who is reputed to have said "The Macintosh is
the first personal computer worth criticizing."  Now, perhaps the Mac
already exceeds our computing needs.  In that case, Apple shouldn't
bother building another.  But I think the real personal computer is
still a distance away.  I think hypermedia and applicationless
environments are off in that distance, and that some form of
'multi-tasking' will be a prerequisite for these.

Anyone care to speculate?

-- Doug Felt
   duggie@portia.stanford.edu

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 18 Feb 87 11:15:18 PST
From: <DAVEG@slacvm.bitnet>
Subject: confused drawing type in MacDraft (probably IDD stupidity)

   I was doing some poking around in MacDraft (version 1.2a) and found
that if you use the MacDraft filetype (instead of PICT), a file with
FINDER TYPE DRWG is created. I realized that this is the same document
FINDER TYPE as MacDraw uses. Now the format of the two documents (MacDraw
DRWG and MacDraft DRWG) are different and neither program can open the
other's private document format (PICT can be transfered back and forth of
course).
   The problem comes in when you do an OPEN... from within MacDraw. Since
MacDraw only displays files of TYPEs  PICT and DRWG you can see that
files from MacDraw's private format, MacDraft's private format, and
PICT format will be displayed. If you are so foolish as to choose a document
which is in MacDraft's private format, you will get a message 'Document doesn't
have the proper ID'.
   The IDD people solve this program by filtering the documents in the MacDraft
OPEN dialog so you don't see the MacDraw documents. It seems to me that the
problem was a BAD choice of FINDER TYPE by MacDraft. I thought that Apple
approves the TYPE and CREATOR for each commercial product. If that was done
here then they did a bad job.

On another note: to David Dunham...I did realize that COMMAND-. was not
equivalent to choosing CANCEL from SFGETFILE. I THINK THAT IT SHOULD BE
STANDARD AND IT IS EASY FOR APPLE TO RETROFIT IT.

David Gelphman                  BITNET address: DAVEG@SLACVM
Bin #88 SLAC                    ARPANET address:  DAVEG@SLACVM.BITNET
Stanford, Calif. 94305          UUCP address: ...psuvax1!daveg%slacvm.bitnet
415-854-3300 x2538

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 18 Feb 87 08:08:31 cst
From: Paul DuBois <dubois@rhesus.primate.wisc.edu>
Subject: MakeWrite Announcement

I'm posting MakeWrite, an application that allows MacWrite documents
to be created from text files containing embedded formatting information.
For example, you can define the strings "\bold\", "\italic\"  and
"\plain\" to mean switch to boldface, italics and plain style, respectively.
Then the input text

        This is some \bold\boldface\plain\ and \italic\italicised\plain\
        text.

will come out with the fourth word boldface and the sixth word in
italics.

You can define any string to be any combination of font, point size
and type style.  You can specify when input lines should be joined in
output paragraphs and whether MakeWrite should try to figure out when
to put two spaces between lines that are joined (e.g., if the end of a
line is also the end of a sentence, the next line should be joined with
two spaces, not one).

You can use it, for example, to do some of the more tedious work of
converting nroff/troff documents to MacWrite.  Some of the more obvious
format strings to use are "\fB", "\fI" and "\fR", which you define to
mean boldface, italic, plain.  MakeWrite doesn't have any memory,
unfortunately, so "\fP" won't be understood as "previous font" - you'd
probably define it to mean plain text and hope for the best.

Those on mainframes with good column filters can easily generate MakeWrite
input for directories, address lists, etc., simply by bracketing the
appropriate columns with embedded format strings.

The document boldly asserts that since most page layout programs understand
MacWrite format, then MakeWrite serves to generate input for those programs
as well.  As I do not have any layout programs, I'd be interested to
hear whether this actually works.

MakeWrite is public domain and may be redistributed without restriction,
as usual.  Usual comments about source code.

I'm sending this to info-mac, and also the mod.mac.binaries.  The posting
contains three files:  the application itself, a MacWrite document formatted
for the LaserWriter, and a FaceLift map for converting the document to
ImageWriter format.

Paul DuBois     UUCP: {allegra,ihnp4,seismo}!uwvax!uwmacc!dubois
                ARPA: dubois@rhesus.primate.wisc.edu
                      dubois@unix.macc.wisc.edu
[
archived as [SUMEX-AIM.Stanford.EDU]<INFO-MAC>MAKEWRITE-102.HQX

DoD
]

------------------------------

Date: Tue 17 Feb 87 11:53:17-PST
From: Mark McNair <MCNAIR@WARD.CS.WASHINGTON.EDU>
Subject: Scholars Aid program part1

Hello Arpanet! This is my first upload to Arpanet, so be
tolerant, please.  I have uploaded 4 binhexed files (v4) named
Scholars-Aid-Part1-4.hqx.  The following text describes the contents.
Thanks, Stuart Strand, AR-10, Univ.Washington,
        Seattle, WA, 98195         <A0799@UWACDC.BITNET>

Scholar's Aid 9.4 copyright Stuart Strand, Seattle Wa
Program and associated files for Apple Macintosh
Automates reference numbering in MS-Word documents.

Name:
Scholars-Aid.hqx

Short description:
Automates references in Word docs.

Long description:
Automate your publications!  Scholar's Aid  numbers figure, table,
equation, and reference citations in MS-Word documents.  The
reference list is compiled by a programmed search of a MS-File
database of references (bibliography).  Numerical or author-
year reference styles, many formats supported.  Shareware
program in this file is complete.  Has a tutorial to get you started.
Register ($35) to get 25 page manual.  Requires 512K, 2-400K
drives minimum.  HFS or MFS.  After downloading, use Binhex4, then
Packit III to get files to desktop.

[
archived as
[SUMEX-AIM.Stanford.EDU]<INFO-MAC>SCHOLARS-AID-PART1.HQX
[SUMEX-AIM.Stanford.EDU]<INFO-MAC>SCHOLARS-AID-PART2.HQX
[SUMEX-AIM.Stanford.EDU]<INFO-MAC>SCHOLARS-AID-PART3.HQX

DoD
]

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 18 Feb 87 23:09 CDT
From: <MAX%TAMLSR.BITNET@wiscvm.wisc.edu>
Subject: MPW scripts

Howdy,
In the past, it has been difficult to provide MPW script files to
this forum because of the special characters that are used in MPW
regular expressions and file selections.  Here is a set of MPW
script files that should help to alleviate some of the difficulties.
There is a script called Expand, and its counterpart Contract, plus
a command file to test them.

Expand takes an MPW file and replaces all the special characters
with a 'plain english' equivalent describing the keystrokes required to
produce that character.  For example, the MPW 'escape' character is
replaced with 'OpTiOn-d'.  An 'Expand'ed file can be included in the
text of a message without problems with 7-bit transmission and such.
The Contract script takes a file produced with Expand and puts the
special characters back in.  It looks for the weird looking 'OpTiOn'
produced by Expand.

These were written by Steve Knouse of Apple Computer, aka Technostud.
He'd like to hear your opinions and suggestions. He is KNOUSE on
AppleLink, or you can reach him at-> Apple Computer Inc.,
2950 North Loop West, Suite 1070, Houston TX 77092.  Or, send e-mail
here and I'll forward it.

Enjoy.

Greg Marriott
%-b

[
archived as [SUMEX-AIM.Stanford.EDU]<INFO-MAC>UTILITY-MPW-SCRIPTS.HQX

DoD
]

------------------------------

Date: 18 Feb 87 09:36 EST
From: JOHNC%CAD2.decnet@ge-crd.arpa
Subject: Question about X-Windows

I'm interested in distributed applications, especially VAX and MAC.  I know
about Odesta's distributed Helix, and about Kinetics e-net box and VAX virtual
disk/file servers from a couple of companies.

What I'd really like to know about is anyone who's thinking about or doing
an implementation of the X-Windows protocol for existing or soon to exist
Macs. From what I understand this is _THE_WAY_TO_GO_ for distributed
processing.

[background:  X-Window is a public domain protocol for distributing
applications between systems - generally workstations and larger hosts -
which allows applications running on hosts from company X and company Y
to send output simultaneously to windows on a workstation from company Z.
The applications' output is sent over ethernet using TCP/IP protocol.
It was created at MIT as part of Project Athena and is backed by most of
the major computer companies.  It provides tools for manipulating bit-mapped
screens, windows, menus, mouse, etc. in a way familiar to MAC people.]

If anyone can enlighten me, or if someone can correct or amplify my
thumbnail sketch of X I would deeply appreciate it.  If you aren't willing
to post the information but are willing to talk to me my arpa address is
JOHNC%CAD2.DECNET@GE-CRD.ARPA.

Thanks
John Child
GE Aircraft Engines
Lynn MA

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 17 Feb 87 08:58 CST
From: Wayne <BILLING%UOFMCC.BITNET@wiscvm.wisc.edu>
Subject: MacWord to MS-DOS Word conversion exists

Scott Johnson asks if there is a way to convert from MacWord to
Word under MS-DOS.
Version 1.05 and on (the next version is 3.0 - not shipping in
Canada yet) includes a utility called "Convert". It's purpose is
to do the desired file translation. Or as MicroSoft puts it:
     "Convert reformats (or 'converts' Word files so that
     the Word files of a Macintosh can be read by Word on
     an IBM PC, and vice versa."
The files must be transferred using some other program (PROCOMM and
Red Ryder for instance). All conversions are done on the Mac. The
utility comes with MacWord and includes four pages of instructions.

Wayne Billing      NetNORTH address <BILLING@UOFMCC>

------------------------------

Date: 17 Feb 87 15:35 EST
From: rrenfro%tofacsa@dtrc.ARPA (Richard Renfro)
Subject: Mac <==> PC file transfers

We just received a copy of MacLink Plus, from a company by the name
of DataViz.  It's able to move files between Macs and IBM PCs (and
compatibles) and translate the files as required.  In most cases,
all formatting information is retained.

Supported transfers include any appropriate selection of the following:

    Mac                      PC
  ---------------      --------------------
  Excel                Lotus-123 (WKS, WK1)
  Multiplan (SYLK)     Symphony (WRK)
  Jazz (WKS)           DIF
                       Comma Value (CSV)
  dBAse (DBF)          dBase (2 or 3)
  MacWrite             MS Word
                       MultiMate
                       WordStar
  Tab Text             Tab Text
  Text                 Text

The package comes with software for both the Mac and the PC, and a cable
for connecting the two machines together.  Once the machines are connected
and the software running on each computer, the user can select transfer
direction and any desired translation.  Next, source file and destination
directory are selected, and the tranfer/translation proceeds.

Two other modes are available with MacLink, one allowing translation
of files that are already on the Mac, the other basically a 'dumb' terminal
with Xmodem and MacBinary supported.  We haven't tried either of these yet.

In addition to Mac <==> PC transfers, there appear to be options
for Wang and NBI.

We haven't exhaustively tested all the combinations, but Symphony/Excel,
WordStar/MacWrite, and straight ASCII transfers work well.  The user
interface is pretty well laid out and the documentation is clear and
complete.

Their address is:
  DataViz, Inc.
  16 Winfield St.
  Norwalk,  CT  06855
  Phone:  203/866-4944
  Cost:  $150 to $200

rrenfro@dtrc.arpa

------------------------------

Date: 18 Feb 1987 20:23-EST
Sender: VERACSD@A.ISI.EDU
Subject: Lisp Development Environments
From: VERACSD@A.ISI.EDU

I am interested in assessing Lisp development environments for the
Mac.  As far as I know there are only 2 serious (?) players:
Expertelligence (ExperCommonLISP) and Semantic Microsystems
(MacScheme+Toolsmith).

I have read the recent message traffic on this mailing-list re
ExperCommonLISP. I am looking for similar input re MacScheme+Toolsmith
as well as further info re ExperCommonLISP (or any other contender).

I am especially interested in:
  o the sophistication of the ToolBox interface;
  o speed & efficiency;
  o editing facilities;
  o debugging facilities;
  o garbage-collection;
  o ability to produce standalone (i.e. "double-clickable")
    applications
    (and any limitations of such standalone applications;
  o known bugs

I would be especially interested in hearing from someone who has
actually developed something substantive (like a commercial product
or a kb-system) with one of these systems.

I will be glad to summarize & post input if it is useful.

Advance thanks,
Cris Kobryn

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 18 Feb 87 11:02:04 PST
From: PUGH%CCC.MFENET@nmfecc.arpa
Subject: Pagemaker 2.0

The mail today included a letter from Aldus stating, "Pagemaker 2.0 will sell
for $75 to registered owners who bought a previous version before September 3,
1986 (the date of the 2.0 announcement), and $37.50 for subscribers to our
Extended Technical Support Service.  Those who bought Pagemaker after
September 3 will receive 2.0 for free.  Instructions for buying the new
product at these special prices will be mailed to you toward the end of
February."

In plain english that means "Real Soon Now."

The letter also states that the Mac and PC versions share 80% of their code
and have mutual file compatibility and identical features.  Now you can have
your PC and use it too.

Jon

         N         L                          pugh@nmfecc.arpa
          M    A    L          National Magnetic Fusion Energy Computer Center
           F    T    N             Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory
            E         L                       PO Box 5509 L-561
             C                           Livermore, California 94550
              C                                (415) 423-4239

End of INFO-MAC Digest