[mod.mac] Delphi Mac Digest V3 #12

SHULMAN@RED.RUTGERS.EDU.UUCP (02/22/87)

Delphi Mac Digest        Sunday, 22 February 1987      Volume 3 : Issue 12

Today's Topics:
     Government Forms on the Mac (6 messages)
     Hardware Help: Human Touch 3 to 1 (2 messages)
     Font Lib/HFS unauthorized
     RE: Investigations into Memory Usage
     Lightspeed Pascal (3 messages)
     MDS Edit 2.0 (2 messages)
     RE: protected files
     RE: TMON with FPD
     Rodime Drives (2 messages)
     RE: Multi-tasking and macDraw error
     RE: help on configuring system with davong
     New Jazz for a New Mac?
     RE: Carrying Case Warning
     Color Transparencies (3 messages)
     The Cache and cache bits.
     RE: non Chicago default font & temporary DA's
     Now I believe it too! (3 messages)
     ChemDraw (2 messages)
     bug
     GAUSS programming language (2 messages)
     RE: Reformatting "dead" Mac disks.
     RE: Icon bar Problem in MPW
     SF + List Manager

From: TOM519
Subject: Government Forms on the Mac
Date: 15-FEB 11:10 Business Mac

Does anyone know of a commercial package available which produces
forms or form facsimiles on the Mac?  I work at a Mac-based office
which wants to REMAIN Mac-based, but so far the only packages we have
heard about run on IBM machines.  We are most interested in processing
the 5500 series, but there are a variety of others (1099,W-2, etc.)
which would help as well.  Send E-Mail or reply in Forum.  Thanks in
advance.

------------------------------

From: JEFFS
Subject: RE: Government Forms on the Mac (Re: Msg 17319)
Date: 15-FEB 11:49 Business Mac

Did you check out MegaForm?  I've ordered it and will have further comments on
it when it arrives.

                                               Jeff

------------------------------

From: CADDMAN
Date: 15-FEB 16:26 Business Mac

FILEMAKER+ and HELIX, as well as MEGAFORMS, can work.

------------------------------

From: CADDMAN
Date: 15-FEB 17:41 Business Mac

There's also something called "MacFill-In"--$39 from Cognitive Concepts,
408/243-6886.  And they have a $15 pack of tax form templates, too.

Hope this helps!

------------------------------

From: MADMACS
Date: 15-FEB 23:32 Business Mac

We recently had a demo of a new program that lets you enter data by
hand or merged from a database on to a 300 dpi image of a scanned
form.  The software is called MacForm (I think) and you can find out
about it by calling Mitch Stein at Spectrum Digial Systems 608
244-4300 or write to 2702 International lane, Suite 112, Madison, WI
53704-3122.

By the way, they also are selling a really neat SCSI scanner the guts of which
are made by cannon.  <15 sec to scan an entire page at 300 dpi.  It also has
good registration (alignment) so the form goes in straight.  Best yet: it lists
at $1500!!!

-Doug (MADMACS)

------------------------------

From: LOFTUSBECKER
Date: 15-FEB 23:40 Business Mac

You could use ThunderScan to make copies of the forms and then use
FileMaker Plus to get output -- Paste them into Filemaker and then put
your database fields in the appropriate places at the appropriate
size. Cost of FileMaker Plus and Thunderscan, about $500.

Lofty

------------------------------

From: CADDMAN
Subject: Hardware Help: Human Touch 3 to 1
Date: 15-FEB 16:37 Hardware & Peripherals

I need help.  I bought a Human Touch 3-to-1 board a few months ago.
It replaces the 68000 in th Mac with a faster one (12MHz) and adds 1.5
megs.  Worked fine.  One day, I upgraded to a Plus; the 3-to-1 then
caused zebra bars.  I called Human Touch, and they sent me a capacitor
on a DIP carrier to mount over one of the IC's, by pressing it on.  It
worked, and my speedy Mac was back in business.

A couple of weeks ago, a power glitch occurred while I was in another
room. When I looked at the Mac, it had the dreaded zebra bars.  When I
disabled the 3-to-1 board, everything was fine, and the Mac works as a
regular Mac+.

Human Touch, I found, had gone out of business, and left no forwarding 'phone
number.

Now, I suspect that the "rider" capacitor was damaged by the power glitch, in
spite of my surge protector.  The 3-to-1 external power supply still supplies 5
vdc.  The capacitor tests "open" on my cheap multimeter, so I don't know if it
is truly open or what.  It is a very tiny brown one, with the number "528" on
it.

I tried replacing it with a .47 microfarad tantalum cap from Radio Shack, but
that didn't work.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.  I really miss the extra speed & memory.

Thanks in advance.

                                                        -Joel Orr

------------------------------

From: PEABO
Subject: RE: Hardware Help: Human Touch 3 to 1 (Re: Msg 17323)
Date: 15-FEB 20:03 Hardware & Peripherals

Well, .47 microfarad is not 'tiny' (although it may be physically small).

Capacitor value coding is not anywhere as uniform as resistor coding, so it's
hard to say what '528' means.  If the capacitor is a small disk, then its value
is probably a lot smaller than .47 microfarad.  A disk cap that size would
probably be around an inch in diameter and the thickness of a nickle.

Capacitors normally test 'open' on a multimeter.  If they don't they are either
shorted or they are electrolytic caps measured in the wrong polarity. If you
take the suspect capacitor to Radio Shack, they can probably help you measure
its value and determine if it is damaged.

User LOGICHACK might be able to give you some advice generally on the Human
Touch board.

peter

------------------------------

From: JIMWEINRICH
Subject: Font Lib/HFS unauthorized
Date: 15-FEB 20:12 User Supported Software

WARNING:  "FONT LIBRARIAN HFS" IS UNAUTHORIZED
David Richey, one of the forces behind the program called "Font
Librarian," visited me recently in Cambridge Mass.  I told him thanks
for revising the Font Librarian to run under HFS and he said, "HFS?
We never did that! Font Librarian is very risky under HFS, and I can't
imagine how it could be modified to work right.  We certainly didn't
do it."  So let it be known: "Font Librarian/HFS" is an UNauthorized
revision of the Font Librarian program.  David also wants me to point
out that, for this reason and others, they will no longer be accepting
shareware payments for the Font Librarian, and will return or toss out
any they receive.  So: Use Font Librarian/HFS at your own risk! --Jim
Weinrich CompuServe 74726,3610 Delphi JIMWEINRICH Contributing Editor,
Mac In Touch magazine

------------------------------

From: IVANOVIC
Subject: RE: Investigations into Memory Usage (Re: Msg 17325)
Date: 16-FEB 05:51 Programming

Peter, Oh dear me, this is going to be embarassing.  I can tell
already...  The alert that TurboCharger puts up has some numbers and a
label that says "Application Size".  Since every RAM disk and cache I
have ever come across lets you set the size of the RAM disk or the
cache, I never caught on the TurboCharger's control lets you set the
size of what it is NOT going to use.  Everything makes sense now...

Peter, please don't let this get out.  People might think I'm daft.  Dream up
some explanation.

                                                -- Vladimir

------------------------------

From: IVANOVIC
Subject: Lightspeed Pascal
Date: 16-FEB 05:55 Programming

Well, I finally succumbed and plunked down my $89 and got a copy of
LSP. Now that I've been playing with it for a couple of days, is it
worth it? Absolutely.  No question.  I would recommend it to any
serious programmer, and to novices as well.  Here are some thoughts.

I am porting a 7734 line program to the Macintosh.  I wouldn't even
consider doing it in TML Pascal.  LSP's integrated environment makes
it doable.  The last time I used TML, the linker kept on crashing.

In general, the LSP compiler gives excellent error messages.  I think
it is outstanding that the manual has 68 pages of error messages
complete with code fragments illustrating examples of each error and
how to fix them.  In contrast, TML Pascal has 4 pages which merely
repeats the text of the error -- no explanation, nothing.  I do have
one beef about errors: why force the programmer either to click in the
bug alert or to press <Return>?  Why not allow any key press or a
mouse click anywhere?  What does one gain doing it LSP's way?  I have
to make an extra movement to get rid of the bug alert, and God knows,
I have enought of them!

I haven't gotten to debugging yet.  TML permits Macsbug or TMON.  LSP
has an integrated debugger plus Macsbug or TMON.  It supports
_Debugger and _DebugStr calls. I couldn't find any reference to the
two calls in TML's documentation: it doesn't have a section on
debugging -- LSP has 16 pages.

I can't wait until THINK Technologies comes out with a MacApp version -- it'll
be awesome!

ANSI/IEEE/ISO Level 0 standard Pascal!  Yeah!  At last, an compiler
that accepts standard Pascal.  Instantly obsoletes TurboPascal and TML
PAscal. When are we going to get conformant arrays (ISO Level 1) I
wonder?

I do hope that they fix the following small items before they come out with
their Object Pascal/MacApp version.

   No assembly language output.  For serious programming, you really
need it.  I use it once in a blue moon, but when I do, I really need
it.  That feature is essential for checking the output of the
compiler, and I don't think that the LSP people would claim that their
compiler is perfect. Close, I'll buy...

   No cross-referencing.  If you program is larger than, say, 10
pages, it takes forever to find an obscure identifier and everywhere
it's referenced. Cross- referencing can also shows the size and type
of identifiers.

   2500 line limit for units in the editor.  Too small.  How about
infinite?  OK, so the symbol tables might get a trifle large.  LSP
should handle 100,000 lines, easy.  Remember, we're only talking about
a 10 minute compile.  Also, don't forget that in a few short weeks,
Apple will announce (hush, this is S-E-C-R-E-T information!) a 16 MHz
68020 based Sun/microVAX-killer with mega-memory, slots and an
outboard french fryer. I'd like to be able to use LSP on this machine.
BTW, when I write code, I modularize thngs.  When I port code, I make
do with what I got.

All in all, a superb product.

                                                -- Vladimir

P.S. I have no affiliation with THINK Technologies except as a
customer of their products.

------------------------------

From: LOFTUSBECKER
Subject: RE: Lightspeed Pascal (Re: Msg 17336)
Date: 16-FEB 22:12 Programming

Unfortunately, the outboard French fryer works only with peanut oil, while
Lightspeed Pascal requires safflower....

If the Linker kept crashing with TML Pascal, it may be that you compiled
MacIntf.Pas to a disk that didn't have enough room on it. The compiler wouldn't
notice but the linker will crash.  At least that happened to me.

I use Lightspeed all the time to prototype, then convert to TML for
production code.  The code is a lot tighter, and I can tweak the .ASM
output if I need to -- for speed, for efficiency, or (in doing DA's
and FKEYs) to get the header the way I want it.

-Lofty

------------------------------

From: IVANOVIC
Subject: RE: Lightspeed Pascal (Re: Msg 17345)
Date: 18-FEB 23:47 Programming

About TML's linker crashing... I have a hard disk with 2000K to 5000K free at
any given time.  For a while I was conivinced that it was trying to stuff more
than 32K in a single segement, but I eventually solved that problem.  After a
couple more attempts, I gave up.

I do want to keep TML around for the assembly language stuff (are you listen
THINK?), but it's news to me that TML produces better code.  I'll keep that in
mind.

                                                -- Vladimir

------------------------------

From: IVANOVIC
Subject: MDS Edit 2.0
Date: 16-FEB 05:56 Programming

It seems that MDS Edit 2.0 can't handle large files.  Hangs or crashes on saves
and prints.  Fails to update the active window, messes up the elevator button.
Does anyone know what the cutoff in size is?  Does QUED have these problems?
Does anyone make a robust editor?  What does Apple use internally?

                                                -- Vladimir

------------------------------

From: MACINTOUCH
Subject: RE: MDS Edit 2.0 (Re: Msg 17337)
Date: 17-FEB 00:21 Programming

QUED is RAM based, but if you've got a Mac Plus with a megabyte or more, you'll
be able to handle large files.  It has a few oddities, but seems to work well.
I'd recommend it over Edit; it's a much more powerful program.

Ric

------------------------------

From: DSACHS
Subject: RE: protected files
Date: 16-FEB 22:20 Network Digests

With regard to Andrew S. Glassner's problem with protected files; the
latest ve version of MacTools (with COPY II Mac) can handle the
protect bit for HFS files.  It probably can also force a reformat.

------------------------------

From: DDUNHAM
Subject: RE: TMON with FPD (Re: Msg 1262)
Date: 18-FEB 01:49 Tools for Developers

It uses the upper-left part of the Radius screen; I suspect this is so it works
on any non-512*342 display.

------------------------------

From: HALL
Subject: Rodime Drives
Date: 18-FEB 23:24 Hardware & Peripherals

Does anyone know anything about Rodime's new SCSI drives for the Mac?
Specifically, the external 45MB.  Or any comments on Rodime in
general?  I can't remember ever hearing anything bad about Rodime...

Brian

------------------------------

From: MACINTOUCH
Subject: RE: Rodime Drives (Re: Msg 17379)
Date: 19-FEB 08:39 Hardware & Peripherals

I think the access time is stated to be 28ms.  The warranty is for a year, if I
remember rightly.

Ric

------------------------------

From: MACLAIRD
Subject: RE: Multi-tasking and macDraw error
Date: 19-FEB 06:34 Network Digests

To: HALLETT JEFFREY A            <HALLETT@ge-crd.arpa>
Re: Multi-tasking and macDraw error

I would have to guess that MacDraw subscribes to the "3K Scrap" convention,
to avoid stack overflow.  You must have had many items on your diagram.

Maybe the Macintosh does not need multi-tasking.  Print Spooling sure can
come in handy though.  Other than that, editing messages and transcripts while
a file downloads or uploads is pretty useful too.  A Mac comes with three or
four ports - no reason not to use them all at once.  (oops, I forgot the
sound synthesizer...)

From a technical standpoint, the Macintosh is not a multi-tasking computer.
Its hardware does not function as discrete units, and there is no memory
lockout between system and application tasks.  However, what the Macintosh
does provide is applications which are similar enough that a user can use
them with no muss nor fuss.  The interface helps us look in the right places..

Laird J. Heal
                "You can lead a man to wonder, but you can't make him think"

------------------------------

From: MACLAIRD
Subject: RE: help on configuring system with davong
Date: 19-FEB 06:39 Network Digests

To: uucp:  allegra!kautz
  : kautz@allegra.UUCP (Henry Kautz)
Re: help on configuring system with davong

The Davong hardware is currently being remarketed.  It is not listed
by name, but "R.A.L. Consulting" advertises in "Computer Shopper",
and sells the controller boards, cases, power-supplies and drives.
He includes Davong software and a manual - but has no apparent direct
connection with them.

The Davong Volume Manager application has a problem running with the
128K ROMs.  Let's rephrase that:  it had to be patched to run.  It is
an easy patch for anyone with Inside Macintosh Volume IV.  I sent the
patched application and a boot-from-floppy application I put together
to the vendor.  Other than that, all the software has run fine on my
Macintosh 512K enhanced.  You should have no problem with upgrading
your Macintosh (aside from the Volume Manager patch) but I advise
only getting the ROM/Drive upgrade, and shopping around for a 2MB RAM
clip-on if you want more memory:  I hear Macintosh Plus upgrades eat
power supplies for breakfast:  SNAP!  CRACKLE!   POP!

AppleTalk seems to run alright when you connect the Macintosh to the
Davong via the Modem port and then put AppleTalk on the other.  The
Davong senses which port it is on.   Caveat:  I only wire AppleTalk
up occasionally, and neither have nor really need a LaserWriter.

Best telecomputing advice is to have the Davong on the Printer Port
and capture text either to RAMdisk or a floppy.  You can lose some
data otherwise; the Sony driver only saves Modem port data.

Using the latest version of Macintosh System software should be fine.
Be sure to have the same version of System on the boot floppy as on
your hard drive's volume (my application checks for this too), as it
is important.  You only need to "Install Drivers" on the boot volume,
not on the hard disk.  Running (in Volume Manager) with HFS active
formats HFS volumes; an earlier System yields MFS volumes.  Guess
where I put MacDraw? [on an MFS volume with a System Folder]

Formatting a volume under HFS (128K ROMs or "Hard Disk 20" installed
at startup) presents a quirk.  The Davong driver parks the heads when
the disk is unused for about 10 seconds.  With MFS, you can wait,
choose "Shut Down", and power down, but HFS writes to his volumes as a
part of unmounting them.  The Macintosh shuts down without parking the
heads. I could start up Volume Manager to unmount the volumes, but it
is more convenient to have a spare boot disk that does not activate
any volumes automatically.  I reboot using the second disk, wait until
the heads park, "Shut Down" again, and then power off.

A very nice feature of the Davong controller (if yours and mine are
the same) is that when this drive wears out, its replacement can have
a higher capacity.  The manual lists some compatible drives; my Seagates
work just fine too, and any ST-506 interface drive is worth trying.

I did have one trouble with the Acta DA on the Davong.  I eventually
diagnosed it to a DRVR 18 problem.  Since I could work around it by
installing another DA as DRVR 18 (I cloned Acta, actually) I did not
bother looking harder.

Laird J. Heal
USnail:  P.O. Box 1485, Salem, NH 03079
Delphi:  MACLAIRD
Sorry, no UUCP:  Anyone desiring to pay me for the privilege of being
                 on it is invited to!

------------------------------

From: PEABO
Subject: New Jazz for a New Mac?
Date: 19-FEB 11:38 Business Mac

According to a report in this week's Computerworld, Lotus Development is
planning to release a souped up version of Jazz the first week of March, to
coincide with the rollout of Apple's new machines.  As is often the case with
unsubstantiated reports of unannounced products, very few more details were
provided.

peter

------------------------------

From: MACINTOUCH
Subject: RE: Carrying Case Warning (Re: Msg 16930)
Date: 19-FEB 11:51 Business Mac

I got a call from Robin Caswell, VP of ComputerAid today, about the problem
of static build-up.  She seemed genuinely concerned and said they would
be looking into the problem and correcting it.  ComputerAid apparently
manufactures dust covers as well, which they use an anti-static cloth
for.  If you'd like more information from the company itself, call Robin
at 401-245-0532 in Rhode Island.  I think she'd also appreciate feedback,
positive or negative, from other people who have experience using their
carrying cases.  (A group at Dartmouth College apparently buys quite a few.)

Ric Ford, "MacInTouch" newsletter

------------------------------

From: JEFFS
Subject: Color Transparencies
Date: 19-FEB 20:33 Business Mac

I would like to use my ImageWriter II to print color transparencies.  Anyone
find a combination of transparency material/colored ribbons that don't smear
when printed?  So far all I get is smeared output :-(.

                                               Jeff

------------------------------

From: NWOLF
Subject: RE: Color Transparencies (Re: Msg 17395)
Date: 22-FEB 01:04 Business Mac

As far as I know you're outta luck on that one - for now. But if you
find out be sure to let me know. I'll do the same for you. There
appear to be 2 approaches to the problem: finding a material which
will accept the ink; inking the ribbons with a non-smearing (quick
drying?) ink. The latter is much more likely. My experience with these
type of inks is limited to rubber stamps - but there's no reason why
you couldn't ink a new (uninked) ribbon with them. They are not water
soluble, dry quickly, and will print on almost anything (glass,
plastic, etc.)  There is a solvent usually sold with them which will
revive them, also. Sorry, don't have brand names. Check with a
rubberstamp place. The ink isn't too expensive and could easily be
applied with a MacInker. If you choose to do this, lemme know how it
turns out. I haven't got a MacInker or I would've tried it already.
Perhaps I'll check it out as I'm currently teaching a class for which
I must make up transparencies every week. So far, I either print them
on the LaserWriter or with a copier. It'd be neat to do them in color
on the IW, though. MacInker now has a modelk avaialable which will ink
the 4-color ribbons.  Using a new ribbon and the 4 primary colors, one
might be able to do wonders....

------------------------------

From: MOUSEKETEER
Subject: RE: Color Transparencies (Re: Msg 17459)
Date: 22-FEB 01:35 Business Mac

Oh yeah...I meant to reply to this one.

I had to prepare some trans overlays a few months back, and wanted to use
color. I tried several different acetate types, trying for a bit more
"tooth" to hold the ink from the color ribbon in the IW. I, too,
found smearing a big problem.

My solution won't help if you have a great quantity to prepare, but I
ended up just shooting the outline graphs to the Laserwriter (these were
pie charts) and printing them in same on the 3M acetate sheets. With
these nice clean sheets, I took a few bottles of Cel Paint, such as
used by Disney animators preparing acetate cels for a cartoon, and painted
in the parts of the charts with it. A pain, but the beautiful, rich
colors were great on the screen.

Alf

------------------------------

From: PEABO
Subject: The Cache and cache bits. (Re: Msg 17393)
Date: 19-FEB 22:20 Network Digests

>Date: Tue, 17 Feb 87 17:26:28 est
>From: levine@eniac.seas.upenn.edu (Jonathan M. Levine)
>Subject: The Cache and cache bits.

>  After discovering the extra speed the cache gives to the Finder, I tried
>turning the Cache Bits on (via ResEdit) for a bunch of files.  I turned it
>on for Switcher, MacWrite, MacDraw, Finder, Imagewriter, System...I think
>that's it.
>
>  Anyway, I was running Switcher 4.4 with a 128K Cache, and MacWrite and Draw

It is not necessary to use the Cache bits (the bit doesn't actually do
anything).  But DEFINITELY get rid of Switcher 4.4!  You should be using
Switcher 5.0 or 5.0.1 with System 3.2!

peter                          "In any context, half of all references
PEABO @ DELPHI                  are local and half are global."

------------------------------

From: DDUNHAM
Subject: RE: non Chicago default font & temporary DA's
Date: 20-FEB 03:52 Network Digests

 > From: Samir Kaleem <XSAK%ECNCDC.BITNET@wiscvm.wisc.edu>
 > How do you make the Mac+ use a default font other than Chicago?

The default font is actually Geneva on most systems, but Lofty Becker's got
several programs to change it (I use KeyMap).  A lot of programs ignore the
"Application Font" anyway (e.g. MacWrite).

To change the "System Font" (used for menus, window titles, etc.) you need to
install the font you want to use, then edit the resource FOND 0 in your system
file.  Just change the entry "12" to the appropriate resource ID of the font (
and size) you want to use.

 > How about a DA that lets you install fonts temporarily?

Lofty Becker wrote an FKEY called Fontsie to do just that.

 David Dunham     "Whenever you see a sign 'No Exit,' it means
 Maitreya Design   there is an exit."

------------------------------

From: PEABO
Subject: Now I believe it too!
Date: 20-FEB 00:56 Business Mac

There have been reports from time to time about rare cases where the Finder
doesn't detect errors while copying files.  This just happened to me too.  I
copied a file from floppy disk to my hard disk and when I went to open it with
an editor, the editor said it was empty.  Come to find out that the Finder
copied the resource fork, but not the data fork of the file!

Investigation with Fedit showed that two sectors in the data fork of
the file on floppy (making up a 1K block) were unreadable (error code
-81, unable to find sector).

The floppy disk had been recorded on a different machine, so I got
another disk, went back to the machine that wrote the one that
wouldn't copy and did a full disk copy by dragging the bad disk over
top of the good one.  This second disk copies just fine to the hard
disk.  I'm saving the bad disk for testing new Finders with.

I don't think I'll lose any sleep over this one, since it is not a
frequent occurrence, but it is a bit bothersome that the Finder would
copy only part of a bad file without alerting the user about the
problem.

peter

------------------------------

From: MACINTOUCH
Subject: RE: Now I believe it too! (Re: Msg 17401)
Date: 20-FEB 04:24 Business Mac

That's *real* bothersome, and I trust that you're using an absolutely standard
Hard Disk 20SC?

Ric

------------------------------

From: PEABO
Subject: RE: Now I believe it too! (Re: Msg 17404)
Date: 20-FEB 12:37 Business Mac

There is always the possibility that "something in my system" did it.
It was repeatable (I tried several times to copy) but I didn't try
rebooting or powering down.  That's the next step.  I will also try a
bit copy of the disk to see if the problem can be reproduced easily.

I am hoping this is not a Phase of the Moon problem, because if it is, it will
be quite difficult to troubleshoot.

peter

------------------------------

From: GBERKOWITZ
Subject: ChemDraw
Date: 20-FEB 14:47 SIG Business

Hello.  Can anyone out there please tell me the source of ChemDraw, a molecule
drawing program for the Mac?  If you know of any other applications for 2-
dimensional drawing of molecules, please let me know. Thank you, --Gene

------------------------------

From: MOUSEKETEER
Subject: RE: ChemDraw (Re: Msg 17408)
Date: 21-FEB 01:33 SIG Business

Hi Gene,

ChemDraw is available from Cambridge Scientific Computing, P.O. Box 2123,
Cambridge, MA 02238  617/495-4707...get a good grip on your mouse....it is
priced at $495.00. Unless you are synthesizing particularly sought after
chemical compounds, I'd think it'd be hard to justify the price.

You might try contacting the Coordinator, Microcomputer Program,
Office of Computing Services, Drexel University, Philadelphia, PA
19104. The have recently completed V 1.0 of Molecular Editor, "a
software-based construction kit for building molecules, crystals, or
other structures that can be represented by interconnected points or
spheres in three dimensions. You can build or edit structures of over
100 atoms from any element in the periodic table (or by subjecting
your input device to streams of radioactivity, maybe create some new
"miceotopes"...grin). Three-dimensional versions of Cut, Copy, and
Paste allow you to build any molecule from an initial collection of
basic structures and functional groups." - From the Fall '86 Wheels
For The Mind...more there, if you can locate a copy. The do not
mention a price, but state that a PD demo version is currently
available. It looks like a nice program, including an animation
feature, full LW and IW printout, and a collection of sample files.

If you locate a copy of the PD demo, it'd be neat if you could upload
it here...

Hope it helps, Alf

------------------------------

From: STANKRUTE
Subject: bug
Date: 21-FEB 12:09 Bugs & Features

A quick note to users of my Teleport* 2.81 program: after a long
period of distraction, I've got my hands on a Mac with 128K ROMs.
Certain ill-behaved programs, such as Word 1.05, crash when
Teleporting under these new ROMs. I'm working on a major fix, but the
temporary patch is as follows: using Fedit Plus (or a similar tool),
change the string of bytes 404D0E to 40F6D8.  The string occurs twice
in Teleport* 2.81. This'll give you a version of Teleport* 2.81 that
works with ill-behaved applications when running under the128K ROMs.
It won't work with the offenders under 64K ROMs, so keep the original
version around. I suggest you do some renaming: Teleport* 2.81 128K
ROM and Teleport* 2.81 64K ROM. Oy, such a kloooodddjjjj... That's why
the major fix is in the works. But it does work.  Stan (embarassed but
practical) Krute

------------------------------

From: GUSTAVO
Subject: GAUSS programming language
Date: 21-FEB 14:52 Programming

    Making an iterative model in matrix form I found GAUSS for IBM
(that doesn't exist for Mac and a Mac version is not even in the most
futuristic plans of the guys at Applied Technologies).  I'm shopping
around for and want to buy a program like this for Ma c and wander if
anybody knows about it.

    Gauss is a programming language written in 8087 math-coprocessor code that
uses matrices and vectors as basic units of calculation, with dot.operators to
allow for operations between usually non-comformable matrices/vectors and with
the possibility of wri ting multiple matrix operations in the same instruction.
Looks quite unstructured (kind of BASIC look) so you don't have to declare
matrix/vector dimensions before using them. The multi-operaton instruction
capability is specially important for me.

    DOES ANYBODY KNOW ABOUT SOME MAC PROGRAMMING LANGUAGE THAT CAN DO
THESE KIND OF STUFF ???? If so please communicate with me either at
BCS Mac user group or at Delphi (in both places codename Gustavo) or
call me phone Off (617) 353 93 30
    Home(617) 325 5029

Thanks a lot
                Gustavo

------------------------------

From: PEABO
Subject: RE: GAUSS programming language (Re: Msg 17428)
Date: 21-FEB 15:12 Programming

I think APL is the closest match for what you're looking for.  There is a demo
of an APL for the Mac from Leptonic Systems in the database here, and
LEPTONICSYS is on frequently and might be able to advise you further.  In all
there are two or maybe three implementations of APL.

The other source I would suggest is the Apple University Consortium,
since a lot of research projects see the light of day through them.

peter

------------------------------

From: DDUNHAM
Subject: RE: Reformatting "dead" Mac disks.
Date: 22-FEB 03:52 Network Digests

 > From: Wayne <BILLING%UOFMCC.BITNET@wiscvm.wisc.edu>
 > Subject: Reformatting "dead" Mac disks.

Another technique I've had to use with alarming frequency (my hard disk is
frequently playing possum after a crash) is to run Apple's Disk First Aid
program and repair the disk.

 David Dunham     "If it has syntax, it isn't user-friendly."
 Maitreya Design

------------------------------

From: DDUNHAM
Subject: RE: Icon bar Problem in MPW
Date: 22-FEB 03:52 Network Digests

 > From: creech@unc.UUCP (Jeff Creech)
 > Subject: Icon bar Problem in MPW

Sounds suspiciously like your icon resources are purgeable, and getting purged.
You might want to throw a GetResource() before the PlotIcon().

From: DDUNHAM
Subject: SF + List Manager
Date: 22-FEB 03:53 Programming Techniques

Has anyone used List Manager inside an SFPut dialog?  I'm getting a nasty crash
when I say "no" to the "Really replace" alert.  It doesn't seem to be the
activate or update events, because I can put up other dialogs over the SF
without any problems.  And saying "yes" to the alert works, too.

End of Delphi Mac Digest
-------