[mod.mac] Delphi Mac Digest V3 #13

SHULMAN@slb-test.CSNET.UUCP (03/01/87)

Delphi Mac Digest     Sunday, March 1, 1987          Volume 3 : Issue 13

Today's Topics:
     Administrativia: Digest distribution changes
     RE: Rodime Drives
     IMAGEWRITER
     BMUG NL Needs Articles
     Incomm Modems (2 messages)
     Deadline Mac
     RE: Hardware Help: Human Touch 3 to 1
     Can you change arrow cursor? (2 messages)
     Cursor Lock - Need Help (3 messages)
     Folders that won't open
     Extend Event Queue (3 messages)
     MACWEEK MAGAZINE Launch
     PostScript repeat pages? (2 messages)
     RE: MacRecorder
     AppleTalk fileserver benchmark (3 messages)
     KANJI FONT FOR THE MAC (2 messages)
     RE: Mac Shutdown
     halfsies
     Word 3 gotcha's
     Megaform forms
     MacPub<>RSG 3.0
     MicroSoft Word 3.0
     RE: New Macs Pricing and Model #'s (2 messages)

From: Jeff Shulman (moderator)
Subject: Administrativia: Digest distribution changes
Date: 01-MAR 15:00 Digest Business

Effective immediately there have been a couple changes on how this
digest is being distributed.

First, BITNET distribution is now being handled by Mark R. Williamson
(MARK@RICE.BITNET). BITNET people should send ALL requests for
additions/deletions/etc. to him.  I wish to publically thank Mark for
taking over the BITNET side of this digest.

Second, this digest is now being distributed via CSNet and no longer
through Rutgers on the Arpanet.  If you have any problems contact me at
SHULMAN@SLB-DOLL.CSNet.

I would also like to take this time to remind everyone of a few
policies:
     1. Please do NOT send *me* replies to any articles in this digest.
        They should be either posted on Usenet to comp.sys.mac or sent
        to the INFO-MAC@SUMEX on the Arpanet.  This is basically a
        "read only" digest.  Your replies will make it to the respective
        parties since all three networks get all three digests.

     2. Don't bother sending me requests for back issues of digests.  I
        DO NOT have the time to handle them.  Send your request for back
        issues to INFO-MAC-REQUEST@SUMEX where they are archived (if you
	can't FTP them.)

     3. ALL programs I send from Delphi are sent to BOTH INFO-MAC and
        mod.mac.*.  Once sent, I DO NOT keep copies of them.  DO NOT
        bother asking me to send them to you if you missed them.  Ask
        either INFO-MAC-REQUEST@SUMEX or MACINTOSH@FELIX.UUCP.

These digests are STRICTLY a VOLUNTEER effort on my part.  As it stands
now they take a CONSIDERABLE amount of time to prepare each week.  So,
the less work you make for me the better the chance these digests will
continue. (BTW, if you feel like taking over for me, just say so! :-) )

                                                        Jeff

------------------------------

From: HPP
Subject: RE: Rodime Drives (Re: Msg 17397)
Date: 23-FEB 01:07 Hardware & Peripherals

Rodime 20mb drive is used by Levco in their OverDrive and Prodigy4. I
have had no trouble with mine. Altho Fedit+ found what I suspect to be a
genuine "bad spot" in one file I tried to change. Ive locked that file
down so the bad spot, if that is what it is, doesnt wander into another
file. Phil Peterson

------------------------------

From: BBAKER
Subject: IMAGEWRITER
Date: 23-FEB 23:46 Hardware & Peripherals

My Apple dealer recently mentioned that he'd heard a rumor that perhaps
Apple would be releasing a new 24 pin Imagewriter among the new products
this year. Has anyone heard anything about this? Any substance to this
rumor?  I think it would be a *great* product (given that I can't afford
a LaserWriter). -- Bob

------------------------------

From: BMUG
Subject: BMUG NL Needs Articles
Date: 24-FEB 05:06 MUGS Online

Articles wanted for the BMUG Newsletter

BMUG is looking for some original material to use in its Spring, 1987
"Newsletter".  The newsletter generally contains a wide selection of
tips, tricks, reviews, and advice, but for this issue we're particularly
interested in articles on APPLICATIONS of computers in some useful way
in people's lives. Other areas of emphasis in this issue include
Artificial Intelligence, Design and Graphics, and User-supported
Software.  We prefer timeless articles to those clearly dated, but we're
certain to need a few about recent exciting product introductions.

Anybody who sends a disk with a reasonable article to the BMUG NL will
receive a BMUG disk of their choice in return.  If we accept your
article for publication, you will be rewarded with a free one-semester
BMUG membership.  In addition, consider the prestige and fame of having
your article read by over five thousand Mac enthusiasts!  Authors can
retain their copyright on articles submitted to the BMUG NL, and submit
them to other publications as well.  We accept NO advertising, so you
can feel free to write "the facts" about ANY product.

Articles need to be RECEIVED by BMUG by Friday, March 6, in order to be
fully edited and incorporated into the newsletter.  If you have an idea
for an article and you'd like suggestions about how best to write it, or
if you have further questions about the newsletter, you can bounce an
outline off of us at one of the electronic mail addresses listed below.
We can accept articles on disk in either formatted MacWrite files or
Text-only documents from any other word processor.  Include
illustrations as separate files, in MacPaint, MacDraw, Cricket Graph,
PICT, or SuperPaint.  See the "Late 1986" BMUG NL for writer's
guidelines and ideas.

Neil Shapiro, SYSOP of MAUG(tm), told us, "You guys do not publish a
newsletter you publish an event!"  Be part of this Spring's event...
submit an article!

-- Raines Cohen / Team BMUG

CIS: 70007,2271.  Delphi,MCI Mail,GEnie,WELL: BMUG.  AppleLink: UG0001.
UseNet: bmug@well.uucp.  US Mail: BMUG, 1442A Walnut No. 62, Berkeley CA
94709.

------------------------------

From: HALL
Subject: Incomm Modems
Date: 24-FEB 20:16 Hardware & Peripherals

Has anybody connected an Incomm modem to a Mac+?  A friend of mine has
one, and I can't get it to work.  We've tried it on an Apple II GS, and
it worked fine. (Using a different cable.)  But, it won't work on the
Mac+, using a cable with the same pinout as the one on the GS.  I've
used his cable on my Mac+ with my modem, and it worked fine.  I've used
his cable and my modem on his Mac+, and it worked fine.  Is the II GS
port the same as the Mac+ serial port? As Charlie Brown would say
"Aaaaaaaauuuuuuuuugh!"

Brian

------------------------------

From: PEABO
Subject: RE: Incomm Modems (Re: Msg 17585)
Date: 24-FEB 21:06 Hardware & Peripherals

Maybe it's looking for DTR or something.  That's one of the most common
causes of modem-playing-dead.  There is often an internal switch to make
it pretend DTR is on all the time.  Another similar culprit is carrier
from the modem back to the Mac.  At least if your modem and his cable
works on his Mac Plus, you know the transmit and receive lines are OK,
and probably also the ground.

peter

------------------------------

From: MOUSEKETEER
Subject: Deadline Mac
Date: 24-FEB 20:40 MUGS Online

DeadlineMac, the "how-to" newsletter from John Monahan and The Society
of Newspaper Design in Washington D.C. has reached it's last deadline. I
received a note from John today which explained that the SoND has
decided to change the format, and simply include DeadlineMac into it's
Design publication once each two months. Because he disagrees with this
decision, and also citing the great energy required to produce
DeadlineMac, John has decided to step down as editor. His monthly
articles and tips will be missed, though he does promise to author some
articles for Design. Design is sent only to SoND members.

Previous issues of Deadline Mac have included very detailed articles
from the USA Today staff on drawing maps in MacDraw, tutorials on
producing newspaper illustrations by Eduardo Ruiz, Art Director of El
Norte in Monterrey, Mexico, and producing graphs by Fraser Van Asch of
the News and Observer in Raleigh, N.C.

User Group NL editors on Delphi or Usenet who did not wrangle being on
John's mailing list may send 3 first class stamps to me at the address
below for free copies of the 9 issues of Deadline Mac. Please include a
brief note with your Mac User Group's name, address, phone number, and
your name.

Alf Qwerty The Mouseketeer Newsletter P.O. Box 19030, #150 Houston, TX
77224

Those who wish to reach Mr. Monahan directly may do so at 9 Cleveland
St., Hyde Park, MA 02136.

------------------------------

From: DDUNHAM
Subject: RE: Hardware Help: Human Touch 3 to 1 (Re: Msg 17363)
Date: 24-FEB 21:06 Hardware & Peripherals

I mentioned your problem to my friend Bill Layman, who has a 3-1 board.
This is what he sent back:

You can get excellent support from Sam Neulinger at Dafax in New York.
Also, you can contact the technician who is actually doing 3 to 1 board
repairs for Dafax (on contract).

I believe that the repair person was the head technician at Human Touch.
In any event, he certainly knows the board backwards and forwards.
Here's his name and address:
    David Wolff
    149 Bradford Ct.
    Mt. Laurel, NJ  08054

The vertical "zebraPstripe bars" are most often the symptom of a failed
24MHz crystal.  The original batch of 3 to 1 crystals had a _VERY_ high
failure rate, and were also pretty sensitive to temperature.  (Maybe
sensitive to power glitches too?)

My 3 to 1 has been solid as a rock since its crystal was replaced.

I'm sure that you could write David Wolff a letter and arrange for the
repair of your board.  I suspect Wolff could also mail the correct
replacement capacitor for the little DIP carrier, if that happens to be
the real problem.

------------------------------

From: MADMACS
Subject: Can you change arrow cursor?
Date: 25-FEB 19:34 Programming

Is it possible to change the arrow cursor? A friend of mine wants to
change the arrow cursor in MacDraw so that it displays a cross-hair
cursor which will be easier to position than the arrow.  I have looked
at the resources for MacDraw and the system and can't find the arrow
cursor.  IM says it is in ROM.  Can you override that?  If so, how?
Thanks.

-Doug (MADMACS)

------------------------------

From: DDUNHAM
Subject: RE: Can you change arrow cursor? (Re: Msg 17603)
Date: 26-FEB 21:26 Programming

You could perhaps patch _InitGraf so that it sets the global 'arrow' to
something else.  Or patch _InitCursor.

------------------------------

From: TONYBROWN
Subject: Cursor Lock - Need Help
Date: 25-FEB 21:25 Hardware & Peripherals

Help!  My mouse cursor locks up when I close certain windows!

I have a Mac+ and an internal Micah drive. No problems at all for 8
months. Recently, I have had problems with DA windows and the Micah
Drive Icon. When I close certain DAs , or if I close the finder window,
the window closes and then the mouse cursor locks up and won't move.  I
then have to reboot.

I tried replacing Sys,Finder, and Micah Mgr files.  I ran Disk Express
and Micah Scan and Repair.  No problems wer  found.  I replaced the
mouse, but that wasn't the problem  either.

Any ideas??

Thanks in advance, Tony Brown

------------------------------

From: MACINTOUCH
Subject: RE: Cursor Lock - Need Help (Re: Msg 17609)
Date: 25-FEB 22:50 Hardware & Peripherals

Sounds like one of the infamouse folder problems.  You might want to
try creating a new folder and dragging the contents of the problem
folder to the new one, then deleting the problem folder.  Perhaps first,
you could try rebuilding the desktop file (if you don't have any Get
Info comments on your files), but quitting from a program while holding
down Command-Option- Tab (or some combo like that).

Ric

------------------------------

From: PEABO
Date: 26-FEB 01:18 Hardware & Peripherals

Most of the reports I've heard about frozen mouse in the FInder are
related to opening a folder, not closing it, and furthermore to whether
the cursor is positioned inside the window when it opens.  Some people
have reported being able to avoid a freeze by using the menu Close
(under File) instead of using the close box.  (This doesn't fix the
basic problem, of course).

The version of Finder distributed with AppleShare (5.4) is rumored to
have fixes for freeze problems, so I expect we'll have a new version
online here in a few months when Apple releases it.

peter

------------------------------

From: DDUNHAM
Subject: Folders that won't open
Date: 26-FEB 21:27 Bugs & Features

A couple times I've run across folders which Finder won't open (5.4 sits
there spinning the watch cursor until I exit with TMON).  I went into
ResEdit, selected the offending folder, chose Get Info, and turned of
the Inited bit. I was then able to open the folder from Finder.

------------------------------

From: INTECO
Subject: Extend Event Queue
Date: 24-FEB 19:32 Programming Techniques

Is there a prooved (?) way to extend the size of OS Event Queue? A part
of my application is creating events rapidly (but a limited amount), the
other part is asynchronly working up the event queue (that means the
work up of the AppEvents may issue new Events with higher priority...).
Uwe

------------------------------

From: DDUNHAM
Subject: RE: Extend Event Queue (Re: Msg 1270)
Date: 24-FEB 21:10 Programming Techniques

Is editing the boot blocks an acceptable solution?

If parts of your application are posting messages to each other, perhaps
you should use a mechanism other than the event queue to communicate.

------------------------------

From: INTECO
Subject: RE: Extend Event Queue (Re: Msg 1271)
Date: 25-FEB 19:03 Programming Techniques

That would be disc rather that application specific. Using the Event
mechanism is just very practicable because of the realtime nature of the
program (telecommunications). But I am checking the idea... Thanks Uwe

------------------------------

From: SVEIT
Subject: MACWEEK MAGAZINE Launch
Date: 26-FEB 13:20 SIG Business

Patch Communications to publish MacWeek Preview Issue set for March 9
release ( San Francisco)-MacWeek, a weekly news tabloid for corporate
managers and other multi-unit buyers of Apple Macintosh computers, is
scheduled to launch May 4. The announcement was made by M. Frank
Billings, president and CEO of Patch Communications, as Apple prepares
tounveil its second generation machines: the Macintosh II and Macintosh
SE.

"In 1987, we're going to see a timely source for the tremendous impact
of workstations inthe office," said Richard F. Govatski, group publisher
at Patch. "MacWeek's emphasis on this technology will provide corporate
buyers atimely source for fast-breaking developments."

Patch has pledged a $5 million investment for the start-up and plans to
show off its concept with a preview issue of MacWeek March 9 at a press
conference in San Francisco.

Initially, the magazine's controlled circulation will be 50,000; the
junior page, black-and-white rate is $3,895.

Michael H. Tchong, formerly vice president/ - marketing of Manhattan
Graphics, has been named publisher of the new magazine. This is Tchong's
second publication launch - having participated as marketing director on
Scholastic Inc.'s successful introduction of Family Computing in 1983.

Florida-based Patch Communications already publishes two computer
magazines: Computer Shopper and PC C Clones; a camera-enthusiast tab
called Shutterbug; and AIC, the world's largest aircraft multiple-
listing service for dealers and brokers. AIC Plus is an online database
service of AIC.

MacWeek's editorial and advertising and sales offices are located at 525
Brannan Street, Suite 308, San Francisco, CA 94107.

Patch Communications' corporate offices are at 5211 South Washington
Avenue, Titusville, FL 32780.

For further information: Cynthia L. Ahart in San Francisco (415)
882-7370. Kevin Mulligan in Titusville (305) 269-3211.

------------------------------

From: TSTEIN
Subject: PostScript repeat pages?
Date: 26-FEB 16:48 Creative Pursuits

Is there a way to generate a PostScript program which will print the
same image on all pages that follow, until the machine is turned off. In
particular, I would like to have a logo printed at the bottom of all
printed pages, whether they come from Word or Ready, Set, Go, or what
have you.
  Tim Stein

------------------------------

From: PEABO
Subject: RE: PostScript repeat pages? (Re: Msg 17626)
Date: 27-FEB 12:26 Creative Pursuits

I can't tell you off the top of my head how to do it, but the answer is
yes.

To do this yourself, you need a familiarity with PostScript.  I'd
suggest two possibilities:  one would be to change the PostScript
virtual image and save the change permanently (until the next reset of
the LW) and the other would be to redefine the "showpage" operator to
include the extra image marking that you want.  In the first case, your
constant info goes down first and is the same on all pages.  In the
second example, it goes down after the rest of the image and can vary
from one page to another (such as even-odd pages).

peter

------------------------------

From: MOUSEKETEER
Subject: RE: MacRecorder
Date: 26-FEB 20:57 Network Digests

To: Brad_Kollmyer%SFU.Mailnet%UBC.MAILNET@MIT-MULTICS.ARPA Subject:
MacRecorder

Hi Brad,

  The MacRecorder II Plus, as it is known in it's current incarnation,
will digitize, or "sample" any sound made in the direction of it's small
crystal microphone. I have used my older model, actually a beta board,
to "sample" the clanging of pots and pans, a parrot, and brief musical
phrases. The resolution is not fantastic, and the sampling time is
rather limited, but for $55.00 on the kit, it's a fun toy to learn with.
  I don't know just how much they have changed the hardware, but my
board is around 2" x 6 or so, contains maybe 8 IC's and a handful of
resistors and other such objects, is easy to build, taking around 30
minutes.
  The MacRecorder software provides files that are now MacNifty(tm)
compatible, but as to using them for access by languages, I wouldn't
know. I don't have the most recent version of the software, but my
version also provides for speeding up or retarding playback and a couple
of other goodies.

   You can probably get more info, or order at $55.00 (domestic postage
is included) from BMUG, Inc., 1442A Walnut St. #62, Berkeley, CA 94709.

Alf

------------------------------

From: JEFFS
Subject: AppleTalk fileserver benchmark
Date: 26-FEB 21:46 Business Mac

The other day I did some file copying benchmarking of the various
AppleTalk networking programs.  What I did was copy ResEdit (159K) to
and from my Mac+'s HD20SC (which had about 8.5K on it.)  The devices
were:

       1. AST-4000 daisychained to my HD20SC with about 30K already on
	  it.
       2. AppleShare running on a Mac+ with an HD20SC with 3K on it.
       3. AlisaTalk (pre-release) running on a Vax 785 with a medium to
	  high load.
       4. TOPS running on a Mac+ with an HD20SC with 16K on it.
       5. TOPS running on an IBM PCXT to its hard disk (I dont know how
	  much data was on it.

The tests were timed at the Finder from the time the mouse button was
released over the disk icon till the time the copy dialog went away.
The copied file was purged between copies to avoid any extra time with
duplicate file names.

The file was copied 5 times (with one exception noted below) both To and
From the devices listed below.  The times listed are the average of
those trials, all in seconds timed with a chronograph watch.

                   To                 From

AST-4000           51.42              9.35
AppleShare         12.77             18.52
AlisaTalk         250.06 (1)         72.84
TOPS on Mac+       15.65             19.29
TOPS on PC XT      21.72             21.64

(1) Average of 7 trials.  Fastest was 143.02 seconds and slowest was
355.37 seconds.  Fluctuation probably due to load on Vax.

------------------------------

From: PEABO
Subject: RE: AppleTalk fileserver benchmark (Re: Msg 17633)
Date: 27-FEB 12:31 Business Mac

The uncommonly large time required to save the file on the VAX using
AlisaTalk could be due in part also to the amount of fragmentation of
the VAX disk volume and the number of times the operating system had to
perform allocation on the disk volume in order to save it.  When
configuring VAX storage for use by AlisaTalk it would probably be wise
to dedicate a volume to it and adjust the allocation cluster size to
accommodate what you think is a typical filesize. The wasted storage for
small files would probably not be much of a bother compared to the
improvement in performance.

You might also ask the folks who make AlisaTalk if their protocol for
saving files knows how big the file is before writing any of it.  They
could improve their allocation of the file if they did.  Options for
contiguous allocation would be helpful too.

peter

------------------------------

From: JEFFS
Subject: RE: AppleTalk fileserver benchmark (Re: Msg 17649)
Date: 27-FEB 19:14 Business Mac

Actually, I must take back the AlisaTalk timing.  When I called Alisa
they told me they copied it in 40 seconds.  They suspect some networking
problems. When I connected my Mac directly to the Kinetics box I got
timings of 100 seconds (still 1 minute off theirs.)  Alisa and I are
working on solving my problems. For each missed packet they wait 5
seconds.  I am evidently missing a bunch of packets due to something in
the network (we have a rather LARGE network plus a rather busy
Ethernet.)

                                               Jeff

P.S. I must say that Alisa has been an EXTREMELY responsive and eager to
get to the bottom of our problems.  They may even send somebody out to
me (we are in CT and they are in CA.)

------------------------------

From: MGNEWMAN
Subject: KANJI FONT FOR THE MAC
Date: 26-FEB 22:54 Programming

I am a new member of Delphi.  I am writing a self-study program for
learnings the Japanese language.  I am looking for a set of font files
which would have the Japanese Kanji (Chinese character) character set.
I know that Apple has one that they used for their Kanji Mac, but they
don't reply to letters.  Anyone have any idea how I could get my hands
on it?  It would be for my personal use only.

I know that EG Word has a Kanji character set file, but it is not in
FontDA mover format and, not knowing Japanese myself, I don't know what
character is what.

Any help would be appreciated.

 Thanks from Mike Newman, from Saipan in the Mariana Islands.

------------------------------

From: PEABO
Subject: RE: KANJI FONT FOR THE MAC (Re: Msg 17636)
Date: 27-FEB 12:33 Programming

There are so many ideograms in Kanji that it is difficult to imagine how
the Mac font system could be used for it.  A Font on the Mac is limited
to 256 characters.

peter

------------------------------

From: GBERKOWITZ
Subject: RE: Mac Shutdown
Date: 27-FEB 13:08 Network Digests

Hi.  The information regarding the proper shutdown of Mac disks can be
found in the "Best of BIX" section of the November 1986 issue of BYTE,
pp. 394-400. It is too long for me to go into complete detail, but here
is the essence of it:  when a disk has been inserted, the OS calls
MountVol.  Mountvol reads in the volume information and stores it in
memory in a Volume Control Block (VCB).  The VCB contains 178 bytes, and
the article states that it is completely documented in volume 4 of
Inside Macintosh.  There is an integer field in the VCB called vcbAtrb.
Bits 0-4 are set if there are inconsistencies found between the volume
information and the file directory when the volume was mounted.  Bit 6
is set if the volume is busy (files open).  Bit 7 is set if the volume
is locked by hardware.  Bit 15 is set if the volume is locked by
software.  Bit 8 is called ON DISK and is set to 1 if the volume was
properly flushed and unmounted the last time it went off-line.  This bit
gets set by the Eject routine, which then writes the VCB back to disk
just before unmounting.  When the disk is mounted, the VCB is read in,
the ON DISK bit is set to zero, and the VCB is written back to disk.
Thus, if the disk now goes off-line without being EJECTed, the next time
it IS mounted, MountVol finds the bit as zero and rebuilds the disk,
assuming that it is probably damaged or in an unknown state.
Apparently, the Reboot command does not perform this function of Eject.
The solution seems to be to call Eject routine before calling Reboot.
The above information was presented on BIX by Christopher Gibson
(cgibson).  He disclaims any responsibility for the correctness/validity
of this information.  I hope this helps.  Again, if this is naive or
wrong, I apologize! -Gene

------------------------------

From: MOUSEKETEER
Subject: halfsies
Date: 27-FEB 02:11 Bugs & Features

Quick rant:

Settling in to do a couple of measurement charts on the Laserwriter this
evening, I came to the simple, innocent "38 1/2"...well, almost...the
fraction needs to look like a real fraction, not a slopped together
couple of numbers. I was surprised to find that not a single Laserfont I
own has fractions in it!

I wouldn't expect every possible combination, but the basics of 1/2,
1/3, 1/4, 1/8, and maybe 2/3, 3/4, 3/8, & 5/8. There are certainly
enough unassigned key combinations. I mean, some of these can be found
on common typewriters!

If anyone knows of fonts that contain the basic fractions, I'd
appreciate a tip on it. I ended up moving the charts into TeXtures,
which allows for constructing proper fractions.

Alf

------------------------------

From: MACINTOUCH
Subject: Word 3 gotcha's
Date: 27-FEB 10:41 Business Mac

I got quite confused with style sheets in Word 3.  I hope this message
will help someone else avoid the problem ...

You can define a style based on a format in a document you've already
got.  I took our standard Word 1.05 template, and used it as the basis
for defining styles.  (I had to patch a few styles, because it didn't
convert quite right, going to Word 3 format.)  It's fairly
straightforward: you select the text, then choose "Define Style" which
gets you a dialog box, with the appropriate font and size already
selected.  You name the new style, make any changes necessary, and click
"Define."  Great.  If you want to make the style available to all new
documents, you click "Set Default."  I got confused when I then clicked
"OK" and the paragraph I'd used as a model suddenly changed styles!  It
turns out that "OK" was applying the *default* style from the definition
dialog,  even though I had been working only with the new style.  Gotta
watch those defaults!

I find, overall, that it doesn't work at all like Word 1.05, and that I
have to go back to Word 1.05 to work efficiently.

Ric

------------------------------

From: JEFFS
Subject: Megaform forms
Date: 27-FEB 19:27 Business Mac

Now that I have gotten a chance to make a form using Megaform (a pretty
neat product but kinda expensive and copy protected :-( (this is version
2.1, 2.3 is the latest (which they are sending me) but I don't think
they dropped the copy protection, I'll let you know if they did) I need
a product I haven't been able to locate: carbonless copy LaserWriter
paper.  You see, most of the forms I deal with are multi-part forms that
need signatures.  Megaform will handle the multi-part part nicely but it
now means people must sign all parts (the current forms are carbonless
copy.)  Can such a thing be made that stands the heat/pressures of laser
printing?

Also it would be nice if you can get this is colored forms.  All our
current forms are color keyed.  I am not sure just how our purchasing
department will like the PO request I sent out today using these new
forms ;-)  (You can be SURE though that I will be using the "old" forms
on Monday when I send in my PO request for my Mac II :-) )

                                               Jeff

------------------------------

From: MOUSEKETEER
Subject: MacPub<>RSG 3.0
Date: 27-FEB 21:01 Mousing Around

Remember when Letraset USA was going to take over MacPublisher II, and
then decided to go with ReadySetGo3 (wisely, I think)? It looks like
they kept at least one copy of the MacPublisher II registered user
list...grin.

I received an offer from Letraset today to upgrade from MacPublisher II
to RSG 3.0 for $70. To take them up on the deal, you have to use the
special order form and send in the MacPublisher manual cover.

It looks like Aldus may have their work cut out for them in the
promotional department. Letraset, which gave away Porsches last year in
promotion of their artboard products, is doing the same for ReadySetGo,
with other prizes of Radius FPDs, DataFrame XP40s, and free copies of
RSG 3.0.

Alf

------------------------------

From: DSACHS
Subject: MicroSoft Word 3.0
Date: 28-FEB 01:51 Business Mac

I just received Microsoft Word 3.0 and have been trying it all day
yesterday. The new Word has many good features relative to version 1:
Spelling and Hyphenation checkers, Style sheets, provision for
constructing mathematical formulas, embedded postscript - and much more.

The program is BIG - over 300K, and it does have a few bugs.  Watch out
for files in HFS folders.  I crashed the system when it couldn't find a
file on the WORK menu - it was in a folder.  The spelling checker did
not object to the most common misspelling in print.

I am extremely annoyed that after all the objections to the limit of 32
fonts in version 1, Microsoft actually REDUCED the number of fonts
allowed to 30.

------------------------------

From: MACINTOUCH
Subject: RE: New Macs Pricing and Model #'s (Re: Msg 17674)
Date: 28-FEB 11:15 Hardware & Peripherals

Can anyone comment on the technical feasibility of putting the 256K ROMs
into a Mac Plus or Mac 512?

Ric

From: DEDHED
Subject: RE: New Macs Pricing and Model #'s (Re: Msg 17675)
Date: 28-FEB 12:21 Hardware & Peripherals

256K ROMS should work in a plus, but a 512 (or 512E) can only hold 128K
ones.

End of Delphi Mac Digest