[mod.mac] Delphi Mac Digest V3 #16

SHULMAN@slb-test.CSNET (Jeffrey Shulman) (03/15/87)

Delphi Mac Digest     Sunday, March 15, 1987         Volume 3 : Issue 16

Today's Topics:
     Disk Evaluations
     RE: Word 3.0 (5 messages)
     RE: LaserSpeed vs. new Laser Prep
     4.0 startup (2 messages)
     System 4.0 & Tempo 1.1 (2 messages)
     MS-Basic
     Memory Upgrades
     RE: Memory Upgrade Opinions? (2 messages)
     Hannover Faire news (2 messages)
     memory map (5 messages)
     Prog.Start at certein Time...
     LW font request
     DiskTimerII results
     Re: new system/finder
     Re: Re: ROMS and NuBus
     RE: Carrying Case Warning
     Re: Remote Mac Access
     power supply/hardware problems
     FX/20 and FX/40
     RSG3 updates?
     Dove/WARP NINE? (3 messages)
     dialog items filtering (4 messages)
     MW 3.0 400K disks
     Word Scatology

From: MOUSEKETEER
Subject: Disk Evaluations
Date: 7-MAR-18:32: Hardware & Peripherals

Disk Gazette, Issue #4

The Disk Gazette is a regular newsletter published by International
Datawares, Inc. containing "news and information about microdiskettes".
Each issue details the company's on-going testing of 3.5" diskettes.
From the current Issue #4:

Single Sided

Sony                                       JVC
Rating: The Best!                          Rating: Excellent
Problem rate: Better than 1 in 5,000       Problem rate: Better than 1 in 4,000
Quantity tested: More than 185,000         Quantity tested: Over 50,000
Head wear: Least amount                    Head wear: Very good

Fujitsu                                    Maxell
Rating: Excellent                          Rating: Excellent
Problem rate: Better than 1 in 3,000       Problem rate: Better than 1 in 3,000
Quantity tested: Over 15,000               Quantity tested: Over 20,000
Head wear: Very good                       Head wear: Very good

BASF                                       3M
Rating: Good                               Rating: Good
Problem rate: About 1 in 2,000             Problem rate: Better than 1 in 1,500
Quantity tested: 20,000                    Quantity tested: Over 5,000
Head wear: Very little                     Head wear: Not enough tested to say.

Double Sided

Sony                                       JVC
Rating: The Best!                          Rating: Excellent
Problem rate: Better than 1 in 5,000       Problem rate: Better than 1 in 4,000
Quantity tested: More than 70,000          Quantity tested: Over 25,000
Head wear: Least amount                    Head wear: Almost as good as Sony

Memorex
Rating: Good
Problem rate: 2 in 2,000
Quantity tested: 2,000
Head wear: Not enough tested to say.

The listings and comments in the newsletter are more complete than the
above. For a free subscription to The Diskette Gazette, send your name
and address to: The Diskette Gazette, International Datawares,Inc., 2278
Trade Zone Blvd., San Jose, CA  95131 - and tell them MUGS Online/Delphi
sent ya.

Of course, they also offer most of the diskettes for sale, at very nice
prices (i.e. Bulk Sony DS, min. 20, at $1.55 in your choice of white,
dark blue, or the new platinum), less at quantities of 50, 100, and 400.

Alf

------------------------------

From: RWIGGINS
Subject: RE: Word 3.0 (Re: Msg 17889)
Date: 7-MAR-19:18: Bugs & Features

They call it a feature.  In the docs they say that selecting "plain
text" returns the text to the "default" font and style.

I call it horse-hockey.  This is a terrible program, and I intend to say
so in my column.

-- Robert

------------------------------

From: MOUSEKETEER
Subject: RE: Word 3.0 (Re: Msg 17915)
Date: 7-MAR-22:16: Bugs & Features

Uh...let's not throw the mouse out with the Macwater, so to speak ;-).

I don't think Word 3.0 is THE WP program for all time, but it sure the
hey beats Word 1.05.  I do keep bumping into things that I think could
be improved, and the overall impression is that it was programmed by a
committee which required majority rule on everything, but don't even
think of trying to get me to go back to 1.05! I'm even willing to wait a
year for the upgrade to fix some of the silliness it has within.

They mention the Plain Text > Default "feature" in the manual? I guess I
may need to read it...hehe.

Alf

------------------------------

From: MACINTOUCH
Date: 9-MAR-11:40: Bugs & Features

Just heard from a MacInTouch subscriber who was converting thousands of
documents from Word 1.0 to Word 3.0.  He called it "one of the buggiest"
programs he'd seen from Microsoft.  Here are some examples:

- font size changes from 10pt to 12 pt on conversion from Word 1 - rapid
memory use and resulting system crashes on a 512K Mac; this happens if
you open and close a number of documents, even if they are small and
even if they aren't keep open simultaneously - printing 10 copies of a
document does them *one by one*!  This is a major flaw if you're
printing on a LaserWriter, and it's murder if you're printing graphics -
Unlike Word 1, you can't put print merge fields in headers and footers -
If you're trying to preview with a LaserWriter % reduction, you have to
Print and Cancel, then go to preview, because the reduction size is in
the Print dialog, not the Page Setup dialog.

Ric Ford "MacInTouch"

------------------------------

From: CHUQ
Subject: RE: Word 3.0 (Re: Msg 17990)
Date: 9-MAR-21:23: Bugs & Features

Yup.  I've hung Word a few times with the multi-file botch.  Open
anywhere from four to 8 Word files -- close them (don't even need to
save them!) and you can hang your machine when you quit.

Another bothc:  When you use 'save as' to save something in word 1.0
format ( which you need to do if you're exporting it to anything,
including RSG3) the document is renamed 'untitled<num>' and if you then
try to close it, it asks you to save it.

foo.  Word doesn't default to the old format of the file, so if you're
working with another prog that needs 1.0 format, you're either keeping
two copies around or constantly trying to use 'wave as' and working
around Words attempt to convince you to use the default format.  Almost
as if they WANT to be obnoxious about non-3.0 formats.

Word 3.0 doesn't know how to open old word files -- they cahnged the
application string, so double-clicking a 1.0 format doesn't work
anymore.  non-intuitive.

I still think 3.0 is neat, but I feel like I'm working with beta
software. sigh. when will word 3.0.0.0.1 be out?

chuq

------------------------------

From: LAMG
Date: 14-MAR 02:15 Bugs & Features

Here's another one for the Word bug list: when the document window is
split in two, sometimes clicking in the "down arrow" of the LOWER part
of the window causes the text in the UPPER part of the window to scroll!

------------------------------

From: DDUNHAM
Subject: RE: LaserSpeed vs. new Laser Prep (Re: Msg 17876)
Date: 7-MAR-21:20: Bugs & Features

I, and a friend, are doing the same for a different reason -- both of us
made signature fonts with Fontographer.  Neither one gets downloaded
with 3.3.

------------------------------

From: JOSEF
Subject: 4.0 startup
Date: 7-MAR-22:25: Business Mac

I tried to create a System 4.0 startup disk with the following method:
initialize a disk; copy the system folder to it; use Fedit + to put the
boot blocks on it. Result: this disk won't boot.  This method used to
work for older systems, and I find it to be a real nuisance that it
doesn't anymore. Anyone know what the problem is?

Joe

------------------------------

From: JEFFS
Subject: RE: 4.0 startup (Re: Msg 17923)
Date: 7-MAR-22:58: Business Mac

When you copy the System folder (or anything containing the
Finder/System), the Finder will automatically add boot blocks, you need
not use Fedit+.  Perhaps there is some incompatibility with that version
(I was told version 2.0 of Fedit+ is due out as early as the end of this
month.)

                                               Jeff

------------------------------

From: LAMG
Subject: System 4.0 & Tempo 1.1
Date: 8-MAR-00:26: Business Mac

I can't seem to get Tempo 1.1 to work with the new System software...
with Tempo installed, the Mac boots but doesn't get past the Startup
Screen.

Anyone have better luck?

-Franklin / LAMG

------------------------------

From: RIVEREAST
Subject: RE: System 4.0 & Tempo 1.1 (Re: Msg 17933)
Date: 8-MAR-23:16: Business Mac

I've used Tempo v.1.1b with the new System 4.0 for a week without any
trouble on my hard drive.  I just installed Tempo 1.1b with Tempo
Installer on my new system.                               Yasu
Kawahigashi

------------------------------

From: BVTAUCHNITZ
Subject: MS-Basic
Date: 8-MAR-07:39: Programming

Hello Does anyone know how to force the LW+ to print different fonts
from MS- Basic 3.0(Compiler 1.0)? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks
Bernhard

------------------------------

From: FALCON1TORCH
Subject: Memory Upgrades
Date: 8-MAR-11:17: Hardware & Peripherals

I'm interested on feedback on MAC 512KE memory and SCSI port upgrades.
The new ads for Dove upgrades look interesting, at least the price is
good. Can these be user (reasonable electronics background) installed?
How many pins the port have (25 or 50)?  Do you have any experience with
the product?  M Macmemory appears good also?  Has any one heard about
the Turbomax board?  How much is it?
   These obviously is rambling but hopefully it can generated a thread
with useful information in it.
          Tom Darner

------------------------------

From: GUSPETERS
Subject: RE: Memory Upgrade Opinions? (Re: Msg 17967)
Date: 8-MAR-22:45: Hardware & Peripherals

Dave, Dove does also have a 2 meg upgrade.  The place I got mine has
they priced at about 450.00 I think.   hey have good documentation and
instructions for installation also. Easy to follow.

------------------------------

From: JOSEF
Subject: RE: Memory Upgrade Opinions? (Re: Msg 17972)
Date: 10-MAR 01:22 Hardware & Peripherals

I picked up a Dove upgrade at the last SF Expo to take my plus to 2
Megs(using the 256K chips).  It's been working great ever since.  Easy
to install too, even for a klutz like myself.  Hardest part was getting
the case open and faking out the torx head screws with a regular
screwdiver. (This actually works if they're not too tight--I finally
managed to get the right size torx screwdiver after 2 trips to the
store, but then the shaft turned out to be too short!)

Joe

------------------------------

From: INTECO
Subject: Hannover Faire news
Date: 8-MAR-17:06: Business Mac

Some news from the Hannover Faire (CEBIT) 1987 I have visited for 3 days
the Faire and like give a special report on Apple related news. The
Apple booth was very quite crowded as usual. A lot of people were asking
for the Macintosh II which was shown in serval units. The release date
for regular buyers will be September 87 with a standard configuration of
2 MByte Ram, 40 MByte Quantum hard disc, monochrom monitor and video
card and a price of about 18000,00 DM ($1 = 1,84 DM). The color version
will be about 2000,00 DM more. The color slide show is quite
spectacular. Not shown open in the public I found a Mac II equiped with
a high-rez (probably 1024*768 SuperMac ?) video card but the used
monitor could not display the quality expected. The Mac II color monitor
from Apple is superb. You would not notice that you use a color monitor
if there is no color apple in the upper left of the screen. The Mac SE
was available in all configurations but a lot of people I spoke did not
like the design. The Mac SE is available now and has a price of 8900,00
DM with two drives  and 10900,00 DM with 20 MByte hard disc. The tape
backup and the 80 MByte hard disc were shown, too. The price of the
Macintosh Plus is lowered to 6400,00 DM which should give it better
chance in the German market place. The most remarkable piece of software
I found on the booth was the database 4th dimension, a database program
developed in France and obviously sailing now under the Apple logo (the
long awaited Silver Surfer?). It offers all layout capabilities you
could think of (like MacDraw), the database design is similiar to Reflex
from Borland and  the programming language is like Pascal with over 200
procedures and functions. From the technical point you will never reach
any of the given maximal specifications but perhaps pictures which can
have the size of up to 32kBytes (well, I think of color pictures).
Password protection, multi user capabilities and tele- communication are
some of the other features. And finally Apple is going to establish
developer support similiar to to APDA here in Germany and in Europe to
close the gap between the distribution times of developer software here
and in the States. So MPW 2.0 is announced to come very soon. - Uwe

------------------------------

From: RCONGDON
Subject: RE: Hannover Faire news (Re: Msg 17959)
Date: 10-MAR 23:34 Business Mac

This is one of several mentions I've seen of MPW 2.0. Anyone have any
idea what features this update will include? Heck, MPW 1.0 just became
"official" at the MacWorld Expo in January.

------------------------------

From: JOSEF
Subject: memory map
Date: 7-MAR-22:28: Programming Techniques

I seem to be unable to locate a memory map of the Mac anywhere: not in
IM, not in the Tech notes, not anywhere.  So could anyone tell me what
exists at the address $F80000 (Please note the # of zeroes: this is not
in ram, but somewhere in the upper quadrant of the 68000's 16 Meg
addressable range).

Joe

------------------------------

From: PEABO
Subject: RE: memory map (Re: Msg 1314)
Date: 8-MAR-15:43: Programming Techniques

That is not one of the addresses listed specifically in IM vol 3 "The
Macintosh Hardware", but the decoding of I/O references is notoriously
imprecise (which is why accesses above $00800000 freeze the mouse so
easily).

Are you having trouble with something referencing that address?

peter

------------------------------

From: LOGICHACK
Subject: RE: memory map (Re: Msg 1319)
Date: 9-MAR-01:10: Programming Techniques

Joe:

$f80000 is an address Apple ROMs check for diagnostic routines.  In the
128K ROMs, it looks for an $aa5555aa (or was it the other way around?)
there and if it finds it, assume the following long word is a pointer to
diagnostic code and jumps to it.  That's how the HyperDrive was able to
boot itself.  It is also used by Levco in their memory and processor
upgrades to patch Apple ROMs and things of that ilk.

Paul :)

------------------------------

From: JOSEF
Subject: RE: memory map (Re: Msg 1328)
Date: 11-MAR 03:15 Programming Techniques

If nothing resides at $F80000, I find it rather curious that reading
that location returns a $6116.  In other 68000-based systems that I have
worked with, accessing a memory location that doesn't exist either
causes a DTACK hang (a nasty problem which the Mac designers cleverly
avoided) or typically returns all F's.

Joe

------------------------------

From: PEABO
Subject: RE: memory map (Re: Msg 1333)
Date: 11-MAR 10:41 Programming Techniques

It would be interesting to know if $6116 is returned on all models of
Mac or even the same from one individual machine to another!  If the bus
is a tristate bus that is terminated to an intermediate voltage, then
reading an undriven bus would tend to produce one's, but with very
little noise immunity.  In particular the value read back might depend
on what other data had appeared on the bus in recent instruction cycles.

I saw somewhere recently advice to precharge the bus by preceding the
instruction for reading by a dozen or so opcodes with as many ones in
them as possible (and to follow the instruction with the same opcodes to
cover the case where the instructions were being prefetched).  Try that
and see what you get.

peter

------------------------------

From: INTECO
Subject: Prog.Start at certein Time...
Date: 8-MAR-17:15: Programming Techniques

Is there any program existing that starts a program  (telecommunication)
at a certain time. The time manager works only  within a program what I
need is something that calls my program a defined time if the finder is
the running program, so the user gets only interrupted if he is idle. I
do not want to write a new finder. Any suggestions? Uwe

------------------------------

From: TSTEIN
Subject: LW font request
Date: 8-MAR-21:43: Creative Pursuits

Do you know of anyone who has a LaserWriter font designed that simulates
the IBM PC character set. I am trying to print PC screen dumps, via
Word, on a LW and would not like to reimplement a PC font if one exists.
If I can't find one, it seems the only alternative is Fontographer,
which I'm not eager to dive into.

------------------------------

From: BRECHER
Subject: DiskTimerII results
Date: 9-MAR-03:38: Hardware & Peripherals

These are reported results from the DiskTimerII program as of Mar. 7,
1987. DiskTimerII measures performance on large (24KB) data transfers
and on access time (seeking, head movement).  The results are
independent of the file system, cache, amount of free space, System and
Finder versions, etc.  There is no direct translation of these results
to perceived performance in ordinary Mac usage.

On HyperDrives, the seek test provides meaningful results only when run
from a drawer which is contiguous for more than 1MB.

Multiple results from the same drive by the same submittor which vary by
not more than 5% have been combined into one report by taking the best
result for each of the three tests.  Where three or more reports from
different submittors on the same drive were available, I have omitted
those having results on all three tests which fell between the best and
worst shown below for that drive.

 Additional reports are welcome.

                               --- time in deciseconds ---
                               100 24KB  100 24KB   80 1MB
 Model, Vendor  [Note]            Reads    Writes    Seeks   Reported by
 ---------------------         --------  --------   ------   ------------
 AST-2000, AST Research             192      192       48    Fred Fischer
 AST-2000, AST Research             192      192       48    David Rose
 Bernoulli Box 20-20, Iomega        205      205       36    Panos
 DataFrame 20, SuperMac [1]         146      146       69    Dan Clark/SuperMac
 DataFrame 20, SuperMac [1]         147      147       61    Robert Murrow
 DataFrame 20, SuperMac [1]         194      194       80    Carlos Weber
 DataFrame 20, SuperMac [2]          98       98       38    David Berry
 DataFrame 20, SuperMac [2]          98       99       69    Dan Clark/SuperMac
 DataFrame 20, SuperMac [2]          99       99       62    Harry Conover
 DataFrame 20, SuperMac [2]          99       99       80    Harry Conover
 DataFrame 20, SuperMac [2]          99       98       59    SuperMac
 DataFrame XP20, SuperMac            52       55       38    SuperMac
 DataFrame upgrade to XP20, SuperMac 54       55       62    Brian Hall
 DataFrame XP40, SuperMac            52       51       18    Dan Clark/SuperMac
 DataFrame XP40, SuperMac [3]        52       70       18    Ira Rampil
 Direct Drive 20, Jasmine           110      110       37    R. Lesnick
 Direct Drive 80, Jasmine           129      126       20    Ric Ford
 Direct Drive 80, Jasmine           127      125       21    Rob Hahn
 DynaMac portable Mac 40MB internal 165      163       33    Steve Bobker
 Easy Drive 20MB, DCC Systems       192      206       37    Tom Hensley
 Easy Drive 30MB, DCC Systems       422      425       36    "Max"/MouseHole
 Easy Drive 40MB, DCC Systems [4]   140      314       36    Tim Smith
 Ehman 20HD, Ehman Engineering      579     1104       49    R. Lesnick
 Hard Disk 20 (floppy port), Apple  872      996       61    Steve Bobker
 Hard Disk 20 (floppy port), Apple  848      969       60    Jean Hess
 HardMAC+20, CMC                    285      286       36    Joseph DiGangi
 HD20SC (SCSI), Apple               155      155       37    Brian Hall
 HD20SC (SCSI), Apple               156      154       38    Norman Fong
 HD20SC (SCSI), Apple               157      157       39    P. Williams/Apple
 HyperDrive 10MB (Mac Plus), GCC    186      190      N/A    Rich Goldberg
 HyperDrive 10MB (Mac Plus), GCC    186      187       42    Tim Smith
 HyperDrive 20MB, GCC               190      188       32    Norman Fong
 HyperDrive 20MB (Mac Plus), GCC    187      187       29    Philip Kinsler
 HyperDrive 20MB (512K), GCC        187      187       34    Paul Rainey
 HyperDrive FX20 (SCSI), GCC        154      231       37    Brian Hall
 HyperDrive FX20 (SCSI), GCC        154      218       38    Philip Kinsler
 HyperDrive FX20 (SCSI), GCC        153      224       37    Michael Root
 LoDOWN 20, LoDOWN                  102      107       39    Bill Steinberg
 Mac II internal 20SC, Apple         51       61       34    Monty Solomon
 Mac SE internal 20MB, Apple         78       74       50    John Mitchell
 Mac SE internal 20MB, Apple         75       73       49    Monty Solomon
 MacBottom 10 (serial port), PCPC   503      846       91    Rod Paine
 MacBottom 10 (serial port), PCPC   507      855       97    T. Scotta
 MacBottom HD21 (SCSI), PCPC        164      162       49    Rod Paine
 MacBottom HD21 (SCSI), PCPC        162      165       48    Paul Rainey
 MacBottom HD21 (SCSI), PCPC        162      164       50    Bill Steinberg
 MacDrive 10MB, Tecmar              717      795       59    Chip Nicolais
 MacDrive 5MB removeable, Tecmar    750      784      104    Gene Madill
 MacMate 20, Relax                  192      197       37    M. Azarnoff
 MacMate 20, Relax                  194      292       37    Larry Hosmer
 MacSlimLine 20 fixed, Univation    172      211       38    Robert Yellen
     "       10 removeable  "       305      363      107       "     "
 Magic20, Rabbit Industries         199      464       37    Larry Halff
 Magic65, Rabbit Industries         422      425       15    Norman Fong
 Magnet 20x, Mirror Technologies    173      203       38    Hoffman
 Magnet 30x, Mirror Technologies    140      438       36    Hoffman
 MagNet 40/40, Mirror Technologies  139      198       36    Norman Fong
 MicahDrive 20 AT, MICAH             54       58       70    Fred Fischer
 MicahDrive 20 AT, MICAH             55       63       68    Fred Fischer
 MicahDrive 20 AT, MICAH             56       82       73    Fred Fischer
 MicahDrive 20 AT, MICAH             57       72       74    Ted May
 MicahDrive 20 AT, MICAH             55       78       79    David Rose
 OverDrive 20, Prodigy 4, Levco [1]  79     1058       50    Kiyomasa Ono
 OverDrive 20, Prodigy 4, Levco [2] 145      145       49    Kiyomasa Ono
 Photon 20, Warp Nine Engineering   174      203       39    Duane Williams
 Photon 30, Warp Nine Engineering   140      450       38    Bill Steinberg
 PL 20, Peripheral Land             241      240       38    Steve Maller
 PL 30, Peripheral Land             228      236       38    Steve Maller
 Plus-30, Peak Systems              141      439       37    David Alpert
 Plus-30, Peak Systems              139      438       38    Joel West
 ProApp 40, ProApp                  163      161       28    John Mitchell
 QC 20                              811      814       N/A   Neal Kaforey
 Relax Technologies 150MB           420      420       48    John Mitchell
 Rodime 20 internal                 109      108       49    Brian Hall
 Rodime 20 Plus, Rodime             107      106       50    Jim Brown
 Rodime 20 Plus, Rodime             108      106       49    Daniel Piette
 S20+, Peachtree Technology         162      162       48    Junji Kazama
 S220-s, CMS                        285      286       37    Jeff Segawa
 Warp 20 (in 512E), Warp Nine       443      443       42    Fred Fischer
 WhisperDrive 21, Palo Alto Mic'Sys.102      212       38    Jim Hu
 WhisperDrive 21, Palo Alto Mic'Sys.193      193       40    Kurt Wanfried

 Notes:
   [1] Old version
   [2] Current version
   [3] Mean of three trials
   [4] 3:1 sector interleave

------------------------------

From: BRECHER
Subject: Re: new system/finder
Date: 9-MAR-04:53: MUGS Online

To: wetter@tybalt.caltech.edu (Pierce T. Wetter)

>     Okay, I've just started using 5.4/3.3 find/sys when I notice this
> beaker shaped icon in the upper right hand corner of the screen. Hmmm...

This is evidence that the Sticky Keys INIT is functioning.  The INIT is
installed from a file, Sticky Keys, in the System Folder.  It is
activated by pressing the Shift key five times in succession.  Sticky
Keys enables the user (most likely a handicapped user) to use the Shift,
Option, and Cmd keys by striking them instead of holding them down
concurrently with another key.  It's easier to understand the details of
its operation by experimenting in a text editor than it is to explain.

If you don't need Sticky Keys, you can remove the file from your System
folder and thereby save some system heap memory.

------------------------------

From: BRECHER
Subject: Re: Re: ROMS and NuBus
Date: 9-MAR-04:53: MUGS Online

To: mdr@reed.UUCP (Mike Rutenberg)

> Q: Do MacII and SE ROMS have the same content?

No.  The II ROMs are an approximate superset of the SE ROMs.  The II
ROMs contain, among other extras, Color QuickDraw, Color Manager, Slot
Manager, color extensions to the various user interface managers, and an
Acta file containing a detailed inventory of Jean Louis Gassee's wine
cellar.  There are also differences due to different hardware, such as
in the startup code and SCSI Manager.

------------------------------

From: MACINTOUCH
Subject: RE: Carrying Case Warning (Re: Msg 17392)
Date: 9-MAR-08:46: Business Mac

It seems that I'm guilty of making a judgement in haste.  I just pulled
my Mac out of my MacTote, and *zzapp!*  So the moral is, watch out for
static with *all* the carrying cases, and make sure you don't touch the
pins on your external disk drive, or on your Mac, when you're all
charged up.

Ric Ford "MacInTouch" newsletter

------------------------------

From: MACINTOUCH
Subject: Re: Remote Mac Access (Re: Msg 17953)
Date: 9-MAR-10:20: Network Digests

To: barry@reed.UUCP (Barry Smith)
Subject: Re: Remote Mac Access

We've seen reports in InfoWorld and heard from our own subscribers that
there are bugs in the Interbridge that appear when using TOPS.  That's
about as specific as I've got it, but I'm wondering about the wisdom of
investing all that money in hardware if the system isn't going to work
smoothly.  Does anyone else have much experience with this setup?

From: MACINTOUCH
Subject: power supply/hardware problems
Date: 9-MAR-10:42: Hardware & Peripherals

I haven't seen anything about this online yet, so I thought I'd mention
that the March 87 issue of "MacTutor" has the first really good article
on power supply/hardware problems in the Macintosh.  Well worth getting
a copy.  Loy Spurlock, who runs a Mac repair center, says that the
"power supply" is really not related to the problem, that the real
problem is in early Macs, which have video "flyback transformers" that
fry themselves. Apple has apparently changed suppliers and has a better
transformer now. Loy suggests that a fan may well help prevent the older
ones from croaking.

He also says that the power supply is adequate to handle well-designed
RAM upgrades to 2MB, citing Levco as an example.  He reiterates previous
advice about always adjusting the power supply voltage after a change,
but adds that you have to "balance" the 5V and 12V outputs.

Another problem, less frequent than flyback transformer failure, seems
to be cold solder joints.  (A number of reports on the nets have given
examples of this as well).

I hope this short description has done justice to the article; I'd
highly recommend picking up a copy of this issue of "MacTutor" and
reading the whole thing.

From: MACINTOUCH
Subject: FX/20 and FX/40
Date: 9-MAR-16:07: Hardware & Peripherals

General Computer has lengthened the warranty on the HyperDrive FX/20
external SCSI disk to 1 year.  (It was previously 90 days).

Shipment of the FX/40 has been delayed, due to problems with the disk
drive used inside which were discovered during GCC's final testing and
certification.

Ric Ford

------------------------------

From: CHUQ
Subject: RSG3 updates?
Date: 9-MAR-21:26: Bugs & Features

anyone hear any rumors of Letraset doing an upgrade on RSG 3.0 to fix
some of the known bugs (and hopefully take care of some of the
misfeatures?)  I was going to call adn bitch (I'm tired of crashing text
blocks) but I thought I'd check the group mind...

chuq

------------------------------

From: CHUQ
Subject: Dove/WARP NINE?
Date: 9-MAR-21:30: SIG Business

The latest Macwrold has ads for Warp nine and Dove that show I can get a
20 Meg drive, SCSI, and 2 megabyte upgrade (all no solder) for my 512kE
for about 1100 total.

My question is: what are the track records for these prodcuts?  What
kind of compatibility between these add-on's is there?  Anyone get these
working together yet?  Or should I go for a Mac-0Plus upgrade from Apple
and buy a normal hard disk?

chuq

------------------------------

From: MACINTOUCH
Subject: RE: Dove/WARP NINE? (Re: Msg 18003)
Date: 9-MAR-22:00: SIG Business

I'd sell the 512KE, take the $1100, and try to get an SE cheap...

Ric

------------------------------

From: CHUQ
Subject: RE: Dove/WARP NINE? (Re: Msg 18006)
Date: 9-MAR-22:57: SIG Business

The big win on the SE seems to be the slot, whihc I don't need.  A + is
all I really want right now, because I'd rather use it for another year
or so and then buy the Mac II when I outgrow it.  The SE doesn't have
enough value added for it to be worth it (to me, he emphasizes) and I
can't afford the Mac II.  Yet.

Now, if I could just sell a few articles, or that novel....

(and since there is no + to SE or II upgrade path, I'm now a lot LESS
hyper about a third party upgrade, especially if it is clip compatible.)

chuq

------------------------------

From: JIMH
Subject: dialog items filtering
Date: 10-MAR 00:56 Programming

I am writing a modal dialog that has several edit text items.  4 of
these items i want to accept only numbers, so i wrote a filterproc that
looks at the item number passed into the filterproc from modal dialog.
However it appears that that number is bogus most of the time.  Usually
the item number i get is -1 but occasionally i do get the correct item
number.  is there anyway to tell what item number the event occured in?
I also looked at findDITem from new ROMS but theeventrecord hands me
mouse position not where the keydown occured.  Any guidance would be
much appreciated.  thanks jim

------------------------------

From: PEABO
Subject: RE: dialog items filtering (Re: Msg 18018)
Date: 11-MAR 00:07 Programming

I have a modal dialog in which I need to detect clicks in the scroll
bar.  The way I do it is to do a PtInRect of the mouse coordinates in
the event record to see if it lies in the bounding rectable of the
scroll bar.  (Remebering to convert to local to global the rectangle.)

I'd guess that the number you are seeing that is so frequently -1 is
being set from the previous event (a left-over number), which would
account for its being somewhat unpredictible.

I think that the itemHit parameter to your filter proc is an *output*
not an input.

peter

------------------------------

From: JIMH
Subject: RE: dialog items filtering (Re: Msg 18047)
Date: 11-MAR 00:53 Programming

Peter, i am getting keyboard events in the edit text item and thus i
cant use the mouse location.  I agree it appears that item hit is an
input but no reason it has to be that i can see. thanks jim

------------------------------

From: PEABO
Subject: RE: dialog items filtering (Re: Msg 18052)
Date: 11-MAR 01:40 Programming

Every reference to itemHit seems to be accompanied by the statement that
you use it to return the item number to ModalDialog (pages I-415 and
416).  I was thinking that you would ahve to select the text with the
mouse, which would tell you, but of course that's not necessarily the
case (you could tab into an edit item).

HOWEVER, take a look at 'editField' in DialogRecord.  I think that is
what you are looking for (I-429 and somewhere in the text).

peter

------------------------------

From: DSACHS
Subject: MW 3.0 400K disks
Date: 10-MAR 20:36 Bugs & Features

Apparently Microsoft is short-disking anyone who orders Word 3.0 on 400K
disks Several files seem to be present on the 800K disk version only,
the British version of the spelling dictionary and the LaserWriter
examples.  Also the documentation as to the use of Word on a Mac with
400K disks is NOT included.

From: DSACHS
Subject: Word Scatology
Date: 10-MAR 20:39 Bugs & Features

Apparently Microsoft has a completely lack of policy with regard to
certain words, that normally do not appear in print.  Of 6 such words,
the spelling checker accepted 4 and rejected 2.

End of Delphi Mac Digest