Date: Wed, 18 Mar 87 15:38:07 PST
From: <DAVEG%SLACVM.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Info-Mac archives now available for BITNET users...Macserve
Subject: rises again

    I'm very excited to announce that the previously defunct MACSERVE at
BITNIC has been replaced by a new server for BITNET users.  This server
is called MACSERVE at the node PUCC (Princeton University).  The server
currently matches very closely the current info-mac archives.  Bitnet
users who were frustrated to find that they did not have access to the
info-mac archives now have a means to access those files.  Bitnet users
will also be glad to know that work is also going on elsewhere to provide
this functionality so it is possible that in the near future there will
be another site which supplies this service as well. Use it in
the best of health and let's have 3 cheers for those who brought it to
us: the people at PUCC!

Macserve is pretty simple to use. Send an INTERACTIVE message over bitnet
which consists of either DIR or GET <fn.ft>. From my system the usage
is as follows:
To have a directory of files sent to you:
TELL MACSERVE AT PUCC DIR

To fetch a given file such as the file ANIMATION-NOTES.TXT use

TELL MACSERVE AT PUCC  GET ANIMATION-NOTES.TXT

Note that this works for my VM system and may be different for yours. In
any case the part of the commands above which are system dependant are
TELL MACSERVE AT PUCC
so that if your system requires something different in order to send
messages to a remote user then you should substitute the appropriate
stuff.

   A file will be sent to you and it may have a name different than the
name you requested (such as 870312 0000001). Don't worry, this is the
file you requested.
   I must mention that there are two caveats with regard to the
implementation of this server. First of all, since the server was originally
built for use within Princeton it sends its files in an IBM data format
called NETDATA. This format is easily readable by IBM machines (using
for example the RECEIVE command). Other systems may not easily be able
to convert this format back to standard TEXT file formats. Consult your
local experts to determine if this presents problems for you.
   The second point is that you MUST send interactive messages to
this machine, mail will NOT cut the mustard. Please do not send messages
to the infomac moderator OR PUCC asking how to do this if you cannot
send interactive message to users on other BITNET nodes.
   We expect that other server which is being brought up will address
both of these shortcomings of the PUCC server. It should accept both
interactive and mail messages and should provide the files in a format
acceptable for the machine you are requesting from.

NOTE: PLEASE DO NOT DIRECT QUESTIONS ABOUT MACSERVE USAGE TO ME.  I'M
ONLY RELAYING THIS INFORMATION TO THE INFO-MAC COMMUNITY AND AM IN NO WAY
RESPONSIBLE FOR THE MAINTAINENCE OF MACSERVE.

David Gelphman     former info-mac moderator

------------------------------

Date: Tue 17 Mar 1987 22:49 CST
From: Nihar Gokhale <MMAR013%ECNCDC.BITNET@wiscvm.wisc.edu>
Subject: New System and utilities

I tried System 4.0 and noticed that the only thing I needed out of it was
the "Drive" bug fix.  Does anyone know what resources were modified to take
care of this?  I would like to patch System 3.2 with those resources if
possible.

I have two utilities which are useful but a little awkward at times.
MenuEdit 1.0: has to be copied to the disk where the application to be
edited exists.  FileTools:  does not work if there is not too much memory
available, for instance if I'm running a program that requires 512K.

Does anyone have newer versions of these utilities?

thanks for any help.
 Nihar Gokhale <MMAR013%ECNCDC.BITNET@WISCVM.WISC.EDU>

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 21 Mar 87 13:34:34 est
From: wilson%eniac.seas.upenn.edu@cis.upenn.edu
Subject: Finder vs. DA fixed!

For those of you (like me) that have been working on a DA in MPW that uses
global variables, finder 5.4 *doesn't trash A5 so our globals don't get
trashed!  Now the question is should a well behaved DA check the version
number if it's brought up under the finder?  The problem is that as far as I
can tell with the version of MPW that I'm using (1.0B1 we haven't gotten the
new one yet) you can't even call up an appropriate alert to tell the user
what the problem is without bombing off, so you have to just beep and go away.

Nathan Wilson

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 19 Mar 87 14:15:13 pst
From: Jaime Gomez <jaime@denali>
Subject: Fortran 2.2 Bug (or is it a feature?)

When porting a fortran program written on the Mac to a mainfraem I discovered
that Fortran 2.2 treats loops in a very particular way. The labels used
in the loops have no meaning for the compiler, the compiler looks for a
end_of_loop statement and, regardless of its label, it is interpreted
as the statement that closes the youngest loop still open. An example

      do 1 i=1,10
      do 2 j=1,10
    1 continue
    2 continue

would work even though the continue statements are switched. I haven't tested
what happens when there is a goto statement to one of this continue statements.

It could be a feature but I would say that is a big bug.

jaime gomez

jaime@denali

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 18 Mar 87 14:44:24 EST
From: Shane_D._Looker@um.cc.umich.edu
Subject: MacWrite 4.5 -> Xerox 9700 converter

I saw in one of the mail digests that I read that someone had done a MacWrite
to Xerox 9700 converter.  I need to get in touch with the people who worked
on this to ask some questions about how they managed the fonts.  If this
could be forwarded to Usenet and Delphi I would appreciate it.

   Shane D. Looker
   Shane_D._Looker@um.cc.umich.edu

------------------------------

Date: 20 Mar 87 11:31 PST
From: MikeDixon.pa@Xerox.COM
Subject: keyboard repeat rate & threshold

i've seen the following behavior on two different machines (a 512e and a
+) , so i suspect it's universal, but it seems like a glaring (and
annoying) bug:
  a) bring up the control panel
  b) set key repeat threshold to "off", rate to "slow"
  c) close the control panel
  d) shutdown the mac
  e) turn it on, and try holding down a key while typing
  f) hey, it repeats
  g) bring up the control panel -- it *says* the repeat is off
  h) click on off and close the control panel
  i) it no longer repeats

the values do seem to be saved, but somehow reinitialization isn't using
them...  this is a real pain, since i don't want key repeat and seem to
have to specify that everytime i turn my machine on.  does anyone know
what's going on here, and how to fix it?
 .mike.

p.s.  both machines are running the most recent (well, pre-appleshare)
system and finder (i forget the numbers)

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 20 Mar 87 07:18:52 PST
From: <KNIGHT%MAINE.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Re: MacKermit defaults and Kensington System saver problems.

>From: Geoff Mulligan (USAFA) <Geoffm@AFSC-HQ.ARPA>
>Subject: microsoft word
>
>Can someone tell me how to change the default font in microsoft word 1.05
>also does anyone know how to change the default speed in mackermit?

I can tell you how to set the defaults for MacKermit. Use the File menu to
Save Settings... to a MacKermit document. Now when you want to use that
particular configuration of MacKermit again, just open that document. If
you are already in MacKermit, use the File Menu to Restore Settings...
Another hint: When downloading files, MacKermit saves the document to the
folder containing the MacKermit document you opened, or if you didn't open
a document it saves the file to the folder containing MacKermit itself. So
in order to save to a different drive, just have a copy of your MacKermit
document there (1 or 2k) and restore settings from that disk. Another way
is to use a desk accessory like DiskInfo to set the 'default' drive to the
one you wish to download to.

>Date: Wed, 11 Mar 87 16:12 EST
>From: Hess@MIT-MULTICS.ARPA
>Subject: Kensington System-Trasher!
>
>WARNING:
>
>If a Macintosh which you have plugged in via a Kensington System-Saver fan
>suddenly decides that it should only display a thin hairline of video down
>the middle of the screen, IT'S NOT THE MAC THAT DIED -- IT'S THE KENSINGTON
>FAN THAT'S TRASHING THE MAC!
>
>We just had one die today, and decided that the Mac had a bad power supply.
>So, we moved another (working) Mac into the same setup, and it died too,
>first time it was turned on.  They stay dead, too:  it's not just some
>transient problem that the fan causes.  The Kensington phone support rep
>said something about a bad choke allowing 60 cycle hum, but claimed to
>never have heard of what happened to us.

I've never heard of this happening either. All Mac I've had which had
horizontal collapse of the screen had it caused by bad solder joints on the
power supply board.  I suspect vibrations from the fan could have
aggrivated an already bad solder joint. If you are technically inclined,
I'd suggest checking:

  First: The output from the fan unit with a voltmeter and
         oscilloscope with a dummy load such as a 60 watt
         lightbulb attached. If everything is in order there..

  Second:Open up the Mac and check for bad solder joints on
         The power supply board. I've found them in the past
         on the connector leading to the umbilical to the logic
         board, and then work upward. Horizontal sych comes in
         on pin 3 of the connector cable. For reference, the
         pinout for this connector is as follows:

         1 Video signal
         2 No Pin
         3 Horizontal Sync
         4 Sound
         5 Vertical Sync
         6 +5 v (to logic board)
         7 Ground
         8 -12 volts
         9 Ground
        10 +12 volts
        11 Battery

I hope this information can help you. If you do not feel qualified, seek
professional help.  There are voltages as high as 700 volts sneaking
around on the power supply board itself (several thousands on the
picture tube annode). Also, you can stick the protective plastic sheet
back on the back of the power supply board with rubber cement. (At least
I do.) Your on your own if you try to repair the board. I'm not
responsible if you damage yourself or your mac.

Mike Knight
Knight@Maine.bitnet

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 18 Mar 87 10:09:47 EST
From: John F. Mansfield <jfm@mcnc.org>
Subject: Questions on Mac II

Hi there I'd like a little info from you guys who are playing with the nice
new Mac mcahines.  I am interested in using one of the new Mac IIs to
control the aquisation and analysis of spectral data from a variety of
sources.  It would be nice to be able to run a couple of windows acquiring
data from suitable A to D inputs and also simultaneously analyse in a
couple of windows.  I envisage a large (19") colour monitor for this with
various parameters/commands/fitting programs/etc controlled largely by
mouse via pull down menus and dialog boxes.  Generally the kind of spectra
that I am talking about are collected with an MCA/PDP11 system, this
technology is kind of old and tired, not to mention rather slow.  Does
anyone have any feel for whether this seed of an idea has any hope of
realisation?
  For multitasking does the Mac II need to be fitted out with a UNIX system
or will the current desktop system be expanded to incorporate multitasking?
What's the capability as far as image manipulation is concerned?  I've seen
these pretty pictures with the Supermac board and monitors, but how fast
can you store/retrieve/manipulate(e.g. fft) such images?  Is this machine
going to be of use to the researcher as well as in the corporate field?  It
all looks very exciting, but it seems we will have to wait a long time
before we can even evaluate the possibilities, let alone unleashing some of
our hackers onto the machine to try and build a data analysis system.  We
could get a VAXLAB to do all this, but thats very expensive and I'm not
sure that it would be any faster.
  I would welcome any comments either to the net or by e-mail.

UUCP PATH: decvax!mcnc!jfm
ARPANET:   jfm@mcnc.org
Thanks, John Mansfield.

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 19 Mar 87 04:49:33 est
From: ephraim%wang.uucp@RELAY.CS.NET
Subject: Bug in Insect

There's a subtle bug in my version of the Insect DA which I recently
distributed.  In my defense, let me say that it's a smaller bug than the
one it replaced!

The original Insect often bombed because it assumed that A5 was current in
the Insect VBL task.  The VBL task calls _Random when the insect wraps
around, which uses the quickdraw random seed global.  If A5 was odd or
pointed to something delicate, the _Random call caused a bomb.

To fix this, I made sure to load A5 with CurrentA5 in the VBL.  But later
it occurred to me that there might be times (such as during program
launching, especially _InitGraf) when even CurrentA5 isn't current.  In
fact, that's the case.  A VBL which persists across program launches cannot
depend on *any* qd globals, because it can't tell whether CurrentA5 is
valid.  So, the new Insect DA can be expected to bomb once in a blue moon
as it hits this narrow window.  [I've never actually seen this happen.]

I'll send out a new version of the Insect DA as soon as I think of a
reliable circumvention of the problem.

Ephraim Vishniac
decvax!wanginst!wang!ephraim

------------------------------

Date: 2 Mar 87 01:26:50 GMT
From: boba@iscuva.UUCP (Bob Alexander)
Subject: Icon Programming Language for Macintosh

Macintosh Icon is a Macintosh Programmer's Workshop Tool.  It cannot run
stand-alone -- it requires the MPW Shell.  It is text oriented, and there
is no interface directly to Mac Toolbox facilities.  The name "Icon" has
nothing to do with icons ala the Macintosh User Interface.

Icon is a very interesting, innovative, and useful language of SNOBOL4
geneology.  The implementation is of high quality and has few bugs.  As a
developer, I find it useful almost daily to perform manipulations on
programs or other text files, to generate test data, etc., etc.

Best of all, IT'S FREE!  No need to feel guilty about not sending in your
"shareware" $$ if you like and use it.  Completely public domain.

So that you can see what Icon is all about before you convert these rather
large files, I have included a short excerpt from "An Overview of the Icon
Programming Language", by Ralph E. Griswold, its author:

It is posted as three separate multi-part postings:  the executable files,
documentation, and sample programs.  The files were "packed" using PackIt
II with compression, and encoded using BinHex 4.0.

==============================

Icon is a high level programming language with extensive facilities for
processing strings and lists.  Icon has several novel features, including
expressions that may produce sequences of results, goal-directed evaluation
that automatically searches for a successful result, and string scanning
that allows operations on strings to be formulated at a high conceptual
level.

Icon resembles SNOBOL4 in its emphasis on high-level string processing and
a design philosophy that allows ease of programming and short, concise
programs.  Like SNOBOL4, storage allocation and garbage collection are
automatic in Icon, and there are few restrictions on the sizes of objects.
Strings, lists, and other structures are created during program execution
and their size does not need to be known when a program is written.  Values
are converted to expected types automatically; for example, numeral strings
read in as input can be used in mathematical computations without explicit
conversion.  Whereas SNOBOL4 has a pattern-matching facility that is
separate from the rest of the language, string scanning is integrated with
the rest of the language facilities in Icon.  Unlike SNOBOL4, Icon has an
expression-based syntax with reserved words; in appearance, Icon programs
resemble those of several other conventional programming languages.

Examples of the kinds of problems for which Icon is well suited are:

*  text analysis, editing, and formatting
*  document preparation
*  symbolic mathematics
*  text generation
*  parsing and translation
*  data laundry
*  graph manipulation

Much more information is contained in the documentation files.  If _that_
doesn't answer all of your questions, mail to me or directly to the Icon
Project:

Icon Project
Department of Computer Science
Gould-Simpson Science Building
The University of Arizona
Tucson, Arizona 85721
U.S.A.
(602) 621-6613
icon-project@arizona.edu
...{allegra, ihnp4, noao}!arizona!icon-project

Bob Alexander      ISC Systems Corp.  Spokane, WA  (509)927-5445
                   UUCP: ihnp4!tektronix!reed!iscuva!boba

archived as
[SUMEX-AIM.Stanford.EDU]<INFO-MAC>MPW-MACICON-EXECUTABLE-PART1.HQX
[SUMEX-AIM.Stanford.EDU]<INFO-MAC>MPW-MACICON-EXECUTABLE-PART2.HQX
[SUMEX-AIM.Stanford.EDU]<INFO-MAC>MPW-MACICON-EXECUTABLE-PART3.HQX
[SUMEX-AIM.Stanford.EDU]<INFO-MAC>MPW-MACICON-EXECUTABLE-PART4.HQX
[SUMEX-AIM.Stanford.EDU]<INFO-MAC>MPW-MACICON-EXECUTABLE-PART5.HQX

[SUMEX-AIM.Stanford.EDU]<INFO-MAC>MPW-MACICON-DOCUMENTATION-PART1.HQX
[SUMEX-AIM.Stanford.EDU]<INFO-MAC>MPW-MACICON-DOCUMENTATION-PART2.HQX
[SUMEX-AIM.Stanford.EDU]<INFO-MAC>MPW-MACICON-DOCUMENTATION-PART3.HQX

[SUMEX-AIM.Stanford.EDU]<INFO-MAC>MPW-MACICON-SAMPLES.HQX

DoD
]

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 19 Mar 87 15:01:41 PST
From: benson@lbl-csam.arpa (Bill Benson [csr])
Subject: TransSend DA posted

Here's TransSend, a DA companion for any terminal emulator. The idea is
to use the Mac user interface to help construct commands to be sent to
command line oriented programs running on the host.

The basic capability is just typing in a textedit box and clicking a button to
send it out the modem port - a little like the VersaTerm command menu, but
taking up a smaller 'footprint' on the screen and running as a modeless dialog.
All the other dialog controls are also available, so command lines can be
assembled from selected control titles by turning on radio buttons and check
boxes, etc. It's all in resources, so ResEdit or REdit can be used as a Dialog
Contruction Kit.

TransSend may be freely distributed, but should not be sold, etc, etc. It uses
a non-standard window definition to take up less room, but this isn't required
and can be cut out if you don't like it. Packit-ed together are documentation,
an annotated RMaker file, and the DA with a sample dialog intended to
relieve the 'painful' syntax of the Unix 'find' command. The Pascal source is
available. Questions and comments are welcome, especially re: the user
interface guidelines. If anyone knows of other software of this genre, I'd
appreciate pointers.

Bill Benson, 415-486-5703
benson@lbl-csam.lbl.doe.gov
Lawrence Berkeley Lab
MS 50B 3238
Berkeley, CA 94720

[
archived as [SUMEX-AIM.Stanford.EDU]<INFO-MAC>DA-TRANSSEND.HQX

DoD
]

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 19 Mar 87 16:11 N
From: <FRUIN%HLERUL5.BITNET@wiscvm.wisc.edu> (Thomas Fruin)
Subject: WANTED: converting Acta documents to others and v.v.

Acta is quickly becoming something of a standard all of its own, partly
because of the release of its file format.  I've heard of all kinds of
utilities popping up that will convert X type documents to Acta documents.

A friend of mine wants to know if there is a utility to convert documents
from Acta to MORE.  But we're also interested in any other conversion
programs that may exist.  People can respond to me directly and I'll
summarize by posting the list of utilities...

 Thomas

 FRUIN@HLERUL5.BITNET
 thomas@uvanar.UUCP

 Leiden, Netherlands

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 20 Mar 87 09:52:42 PST
From: mse%Phobos.Caltech.Edu@DEImos.Caltech.Edu (Martin Ewing)
Subject: DECnet on Macintosh

I have run across a product called TSSnet from Thursby Software Systems
(4301 Oak Branch Ct., Arlington, TX 76016; 817-572-2352).  It purports to
implement a subset of DECnet on the Mac, using an async serial connection.
It includes a NETcopy function (Mac controlled file transfer), an FAL
(remotely controlled transfer), and a VMS MAIL interface.  Looks nice from
the documentation, but lacks SET HOST or Ethernet connection, both of which
are "planned" by TSS, but urgently needed by us.

The beauty of the product is that it requires no Appletalk/Kinetics Box/
Alisatalk/... to put yourself into DECnet.  The minus side is that you only
get your terminal-like baud rate, with all the DECnet overhead.  (Mind, I
haven't used the product myself.)

Does anyone have any further knowledge of or opinions on TSSnet, or know of
any comparable products from other sources?

Martin Ewing
Caltech Radio Astronomy

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 20 Mar 87 02:25:05 PST
From: <FYS-TS%FINHUT.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Call for help/Mac in the laboratory

Hi,

This is a request for help concerning uses of Mac's in laboratory
control & automation. If some of you out there have some good references
to articles or books, addresses of companies/universities/research
institutes, etc., I'd be glad to learn of them.

Topics:
- descriptions of applications
- hardware add-on's(buses, etc...)
- software
  - complete software packages(LabView-type, etc...)
  - language extensions

Please send your replies directly to FYS-TS@FINHUT.BITNET. If someone
else is interested in the same subject, please contact me as well, I
can send over the possible replies I (hope to) receive.

Tero Siili, Helsinki University of Technology, Finland

------------------------------

Subject: Re: Third Party Color Monitors
Date: Fri, 20 Mar 87 10:29:57 -0500
From: James J Dempsey <jjd@ALEXANDER.BBN.COM>

>> Subject: Third Party Color Monitors
>> From: <JAK9213@TAMVENUS.BITNET> (John A Kane - Micro Computer Center)

>> SuperMac Technologies has I believe two color monitors (19", 15"{?}) and
>> one monochrome monitor (15" {?}). I have not yet received pricing on these
>> monitors, but I saw them at AppleWorld and they are very nice.

Here is the info on the SuperMac video boards from their literature:

Mac II Boards:

  Monochrome:

  "Graphix"
   -- landscape
   -- programmable resolution from 480x640 to 768x1024 pixels
   -- 50Mhz, 60Mhz or 67.5Mhz refresh rate
   -- uses "any standard high resolution analog or TTL
         monochrome monitor."
   -- Retail Price: $495

  Color (or grey scale):

  "Spectrum"
  -- landscape
  -- programmable resolution from 480x640 to 768x1024 pixels
  -- 1, 2, 4, or 8 bits of color memory
  -- 256 simultaneous colors from palette of 16.8M
  -- 50Mhz, 60Mhz or 67.5Mhz refresh rate
  -- uses "any standard analog or TTL screen, including
         Apple's color and black & white monitors"
  -- Retail $749 for one bit of color memory (monochrome)
            $1495 for eight bits
            $795 for "Spectrum Upgrade" which might mean
              upgrade color memory from 1 to 8 bits

Monitors:

    Their literature mentions 15" monitors, but they are not in the price
list:

   19" B & W monitor    $1495 Retail
   19" Color monitor    $2995 Retail

They also have a 1024x1365 pixel big screen system called SuperView for the
Mac SE which includes a 68881 for $495 plus monitor.

Jim Dempsey
jjd@bbn.com

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 20 Mar 87 11:37:02 PST
From: PUGH%CCC.MFENET@nmfecc.arpa
Subject: MacII/SuperMac impressions & prices

I saw the Mac II and the SuperMac 19" color monitor at a recent A32 user group
meeting and it all looked real nice.

My impressions:

The Mac II is fast in single bit mode (b&w), normal in 8 color mode, and slow
in 256 color mode.  Screen updates are a slow paint on the screen.  It's not
as slow as an IBM PGA (same resolution and quality) but not as fast as an
Amiga which has a blitter (at the same res & quality).  The picture is,
however, very sharp.  They aced the Amiga by avoiding the interlace problem.
B&W on an interlaced screen is enough to drive a man insane.  B&W on the Mac
II is just the same, but bigger and faster.

The SuperMac screen is lovely but EXPENSIVE.  We are talking $4500 for the
monitor and the graphics card.  Youch!  The guy from SuperMac said that the
monitors were $3000 and that only four companies were manufacturing the high
quality that need.  He predicted a rapid decline in price.  The 8 bit board
runs $1500 or so and has the screen memory on board.  I didn't get many
details about their implementation since there were 50 people crowding around
for a close look.

My feeling:

The Mac II is going to be hot, but it will not ship soon.  When it does ship
it will be hard to get.  Once it is easy to get, a bunch of boards will be
available that will outshine the original board options.  Early people will
once again be burned by improvements that will require junking costly old
components.  Me, I'm gonna upgrade my 512 into a 2 meg Mac+ equivalent and try
to make due while saving some money for a Mac II after it has been out for a
while.

I think that a lot of video options are going to appear and they will
hopefully outshine Apple's color monitor.  Also, larger screen fonts will need
to appear.  You could easily use 24 point all the time.

As usual, I have no idea what I'm talking about, but that never stopped me
before.

Jon

N         L                          pugh@nmfecc.arpa
 M    A    L          National Magnetic Fusion Energy Computer Center
  F    T    N             Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory
   E         L                       PO Box 5509 L-561
    C                           Livermore, California 94550
     C                                (415) 423-4239

Spam is celebrating it's 50th birthday this month.
  Go out and have a can at a fancy restaurant.

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 16 Mar 87 14:13 N
From: <FRUIN%HLERUL5.BITNET@wiscvm.wisc.edu> (Thomas Fruin)
Subject: RE: Hannover Faire news

Maybe you can elaborate on what you said about Apple's plans to establish
developer support similar to APDA in Germany and the rest of Europe to
close the gap between the distibution times of developer software in Europe
and in the States, like you said on Delphi.

Is there anything concrete?  An address or phone number perhaps?  I'm sure
many of us on the nets in Europe would be interested in knowing more.  There
is _no_ one I have heard from here who has ever received any software package
from APDA...

 Thomas Fruin

 FRUIN@HLERUL5.BITNET
 thomas@uvanar.UUCP
 Leiden, Netherlands

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 20 Mar 87 10:34:08 est
From: wilson%eniac.seas.upenn.edu@cis.upenn.edu
Subject: MS Word 1.05 & 3.00 annoyance

When working with word 1.05, every once in after scrolling the window, when I
lifted the mouse the screen would suddenly jump back to where I started
scrolling.  It would only happen on the first scrolling after typing for
awhile.  I tried getting it to show up consistently and couldn't, but as it
was non-destructive and easily fixed I didn't worry about it.  I was working
with v3.00 yesterday and it suddenly did the same thing.  Has anyone else had
this problem?  Is there something about the way that I'm mousing that is
causing this?  Do Microsoft know about this and is it a bug or part of a
"feature"?

Nathan

End of INFO-MAC Digest