Date: Mon, 30 Mar 87 19:20 EDT
From: KURAS%BCVAX3.BITNET@wiscvm.wisc.edu (This Space For Rent)
Subject: Replies to a few postings from number 70

This note is in reply to a whole bunch of different items in Info-Mac
number 70.  I hope its mishmash-ness isn't too confusing.

direct his questions and complaints. I agree that an 800 number would be
useful, but Apple feels it can better address the problems of customer
questions and complaints through its dealers. The idea is that the dealers
know the customers better and can address a problem better in person.
Dealers are given access to AppleLink (an information and electronic mail
service) which is very useful. I know because I use it regularly. I a
dealer can't find the answer to the question in an AppleLink database, he
can send the question to the appropriate Apple service center (also on
AppleLink) and get a reply within a day or so.  Apple certainly saves money
with this approach to customer support, and it feels that it centralizes
all service and support at the dealer in this way as well.  I know that
many people are dissatisfied with the service they get from their dealers,
but I think that there are also a lot of preconceived notions about what to
expect when the dealer is visited. Give it a try. You might get the help
you need.

Dave Neiman asked if he could format documents for printing on a LaserWriter
without being connected to one. The answer is yes. To select the LaserWriter
icon in the Chooser, simply turn on AppleTalk in the Control Panel. Of course,
then nothing except AppleTalk can be conected to the printer port, but nothing
is free.

For Patrick Woolsey who wanted to know where the programmers switches were on
the Mac II and the Mac SE, they're right where you'd expect them to be, on the
machine case. They also work just as you'd expect them to, so don't worry. As
for the keyboards, the layout is identical to that of the IIGS, and the key-
boards are quite a bit lower than before. The keycaps are a little nicer than
those of the IIGS, and there's a little more space around the typing area than
on the IIGS board. The feel is nice, with a bit shallower action and a slight
breakover tactile effect. They are very quiet to type on, quite a lot quieter
than the old Mac keyboards and infinitely quieter than the IBM-PC keyboard.
(In case you wondered, we do have a Mac II and a Mac SE here, so I do know
what I'm talking about.)

To Robert Jellinghaus, A/UX is a prerelaese product, so I can't comment on its
reliability, but we do have a prerelease copy here at Boston College and I'll
pass along any info I get on it.

Patrick Kuras
<KURAS@BCVAX3.BITNET>

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 30 Mar 87 08:49:40 PST
From: PUGH%CCC.MFENET@nmfecc.arpa
Subject: RE: Strange, slow-running Mac+

Concerning the slow Mac+, it is such a simple thing that I was going to pass
it up, but I cannot resist now that someone has gone and missed the
obvious (that's you, Werner).

The guy is using Stars 1.6 to do his timing.  Some of the stars go in and some
go out.  One is set to fast and the other to slow speeds.  Come on!  Try
pressing the number buttons.  5-9 are outwards, 0-4 are inwards.  The
character keys are used to control how many stars are on the screen.  For the
fewest stars, use space, 0, @, P, or p.  For the most stars use /, ?, O, _, or
o.  Stars uses the bottom nibble for the star count (plus some constant).

Neither Mac is slow.  It is a software problem.

Jon

 N         L                          pugh@nmfecc.arpa
  M    A    L          National Magnetic Fusion Energy Computer Center
   F    T    N             Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory
    E         L                       PO Box 5509 L-561
     C                           Livermore, California 94550
      C                                (415) 423-4239

[missing the obvious can happen to anyone.  DoD  :{ ]

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 30 Mar 87 22:30:46 est
From: mayerk@eniac.seas.upenn.edu (Kenneth Mayer)
Subject: [mac: uw - replies]

Here is the answer to my question regarding a problem that uw has
dealing with talk, write, and other similar programs. Perhaps one of
you bright, young, unix guru's can find a solution.

   Posted-Date: Mon, 30 Mar 87 09:15:25 EST
   Received-Date: Mon, 30 Mar 87 09:14:30 est
   Date: Mon, 30 Mar 87 09:15:25 EST
   From: John T Kohl <jtkohl@ATHENA.MIT.EDU>
   To: mayerk@ENIAC.SEAS.UPENN.EDU
   Subject: Re: Unix Windows: setuid query
   Us-Snail: Room A303, 4 Ames St, Cambridge, MA
   Zip-Code: 02142-1306

   The problem you are hitting is one I've run into using other window
   systems (mainly X).

   Your slave windows are indeed running under your uid.  But these windows
   are also on different pseudo-terminals.  This means that the slave
   windows do not have entries in /etc/utmp, so that talk and write don't
   recognize you as being you.

   There are two solutions:
   1) fix write and talk to do a sensible thing if it cannot find you in
   utmp.

   2) fix uwtool (?) so that it creates a utmp entry for you when you start
   up windows (but it would then need to be suid root).

   John

P.S. Put these aliases somewhere so that they're only entered while
inside uw. [I usually have an if-statement at the end of my .cshrc
file checking to see if $TERM == "adm31", then source filename.] They
change the window title to 'username@host: current_working_directory'
Trully neato! (Insert your favorite disclaimer here.)

#!/bin/csh
# Define aliases so that window titles show cwd, really neat!

set ps=`whoami`'@'`hostname | sed -e s,.seas.upenn.edu,,`': ${cwd}'
alias uwt	uwtitle $ps

alias cd	cd \!\* \; uwt
alias pushd	pushd \!\* \; uwt
alias popd	popd \!\* \; uwt
alias reald	'cd `pwd`'

cd .

------------------------------

Date: Mon 30 Mar 87 19:43:07-PST
From: Lance Nakata <K.Kirin@MACBETH.STANFORD.EDU>
Subject: Re: Bomb of the week

> A disk had gone out in the weeds, reason unknown.  Any attempt to insert it
> elicited the "This disk is unreadable: do you want to initialize it?" box.
> I tried to salvage with MacTools.

For everyone out in Macland who attempts their own disk or file recoveries:
be sure to use Copy II Mac (version 6.3 is the latest I know of) to sector
copy your damaged disk BEFORE proceeding with any repairs.  Working on a
copy of the original disk is definitely the most important rule of
disk/file recovery.

I bring it up here because MacTools 6.x sometimes makes the disk even
worse.  If this should happen, you'll always be glad you didn't scramble
the original.

Lance Nakata
ARPA:	nakata@portia.stanford.edu
BITNET: nakata%portia.stanford.edu@stanford.bitnet

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 30 Mar 87 18:17:17 SET
From: Norbert Mueller <K360171@AEARN>
Subject: MACINTOSH SE FIRST TOUCH

WE JUST RECEIVED OUR FIRST SE (NO HD) TODAY. THREE STRIKING IMPRESSIONS:
IT IS LOUD....  (THE FAN NOISE EXCEEDS THAT OF OUR -FORGIVE ME- IBM CLONE
EASILY)

IT IS FASTER THAN THE MAC+ (APPROX. 25% ON GRAPHIC APPLICATIONS)

THE KEYBOARD IS GREAT (WITH EXCEPTION OF THE TOO NARROW SPACE BAR)

THE GERMAN SYSTEM DELIVERED SEEMS TOO BE BUGGY  (SET STARTUP DEVICE IN CONTROL
PANEL BOMBS (ID=2))

THE MAIN PROBLEM SEEMS TO BE THE NOISE, AS I HAVE NOT SEEN ANY OTHER MAC
SE'S I DON'T KNOW IF ITS A GENERAL 'FEATURE' OR JUST A PARTICULAR
MALFUNCTION OF THIS MAC. I REALLY PREFERD THE QUIET MAC+ IN MY OFFICE.  ANY
HELP ON THE FAN PROBLEM WOULD BE APPRECIATED.

  N. MUELLER

------------------------------

Date: Mon 30 Mar 87 17:38:50-CST
From: Werner Uhrig  <CMP.WERNER@R20.UTEXAS.EDU>
Subject: which editor to use for *LARGE* text-files?

does anyone have any experience editing VERY LARGE text-files on the Mac?
which ones to consider and what are the trade-offs?

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 30 Mar 87 10:30 EDT
From: Jeffrey Shulman <SHULMAN%slb-test.csnet@RELAY.CS.NET>
Subject: Acta Reader

[ Uploaded from Delphi by Jeff Shulman ]

Name: ACTA READER
Date: 29-MAR-1987 02:58 by DDUNHAM

Acta Reader opens and prints Acta documents (up to 9 at once).  I wrote it so
people could distribute information (structured text and graphics) without
having to worry if the recipient owned Acta.

If you do own Acta, you may find it useful to open (and copy from) multiple
documents.  This program replaces Acta Runner.

[
archived as [SUMEX-AIM.Stanford.EDU]<INFO-MAC>ACTA-READER.HQX

DoD
]

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 30 Mar 87 22:44:18 PST
Subject: new version of MACGET-MULTIFILE.C
From: David M. Gelphman         415-854-3300 x2538   DAVEG    at
From: SLACVM

Some time ago I posted an updated version of macget which was appropriate
for multiple file uploads using VersaTerm 3.0 and VersaTerm Pro 2.0.
It has recently been brought to my attention that the file in the sumex
archives suffers from translation problems due to crossing multiple gateways.
This version should correct the problem.

David Gelphman

[
this file replaces the previous one in the archives.  archived as
[SUMEX-AIM.Stanford.EDU]<INFO-MAC>MACGET-MULTFILE.C

DoD
]

------------------------------

Date: 30 Mar 1987 18:46-EST
Sender: WAGREICH@G.BBN.COM
Subject: DAK ADC modem with Mac 512?
From: WAGREICH@G.BBN.COM

The DAK ADC modem (1200 baud) is now available from DAK for $129.  and the
purchase price includes $25 worth of Compuserve time.  I understand this
modem is a Hayes compatible and I have received favorable comments about it
from those who are using it with PCs.

I am interested in knowing if anyone out there is using the DAK ADC modem
with a Mac 512.  The Mac 512 suports the Hayes Smartmodem 1200.  I am
interested in knowing if the DAK ADC modem works well with the Mac 512 and
can be used in lieu of a Hayes Smartmodem 1200.  I would like to hear any
negative comments as well as positive comments.

Since I am not on the info-mac mailing list, I would appreciate it if you
would send me your responses directly to the following netaddress:

   wagreich at g.bbn.com

Thank you very much for your help

------------------------------

From: meltsner@athena.MIT.EDU
Subject: FullWrite Professional availability
Date: Mon, 30 Mar 87 10:47:46 EST

I called Ann Arbor and asked about the shipping date for FullWrite.
Basically, it sounds like it will be at least a month or so away from now.
They keep adding features (a couple of weeks ago at least -- the sales rep
told me they had just returned from some sort of lawyer's convention and
went back to the code to install all sorts of new things) and they said I
might be able to get a review copy sometime in April if I tried real hard.
[I'm trying to do a definitive review of wordprocessors for science and
engineering reports for a supplement to MIT's student newspaper.]

Anyway, unless these guys decide to stop adding things, the wait for
Fullwrite will probably be at least another month or so, but may indeed be
worth it.  [They plan to add automatic numbering of figures, references,
etc., or so the sales guy thought.  There were too mny new features for him
to keep track of!]

Ken

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 30 Mar 87 09:55 EST
From: Tom Dowdy              <CML5A9%IRISHMVS.BITNET@wiscvm.wisc.edu>
Subject: Re: Control Character/Command Characters

I agree, control characters should be done with the option key,
and leave the command key alone to perform other functions.

However, as you noted, this whole mess started with MacTerminal (and may be
corrected in the next release, i would think)...  And all of you
programmers out there are probably chuckling along with me saying "oh *I*
know why they did that"...  The answer is really why software companies do
all kinds of things:  It was easier!  The option key, when combined with
certain keys doesn't actually generate a keypress.  Examples of this
include option-e which generates an accented character after ANOTHER key is
pressed.  I'm sure there are ways around this, but when you are deep in the
middle of writting an emulator that was supposed to be out last month, you
don't think of things like that, you just want to be DONE with the thing.

Note that this is all accedemic on the new SE keyboard, which has a control
key (and which most all of the software already takes advantage of).  BTW:
you can use the control key within Write or Word or whatever to generate
Checks, and Command key symbols.  Also, in response to another question,
the Mac SE/II keyboards have a GREAT feel, (at least i think so), if you
want to check it out, go to a dealer and pound on a IIGS keyboard....

 Tom Dowdy
 CML5A9@IRISHMVS.BITNET
"They say there is strangeness to danger us,
 In our theaters and bookstore shelves.
 Those who know what's best for us,
 Must rise and save us from ourselves."

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 30 Mar 87 10:51:40 PST
From: dplatt@teknowledge-vaxc.arpa (Dave Platt)
Subject: Command key to send "control" characters

1) Yes, it can be frustrating, especially if there's no alternative.

2) The Columbia University version of Kermit for the Mac permits you to
   choose whether you want to use the Command key, or the Option key,
   for sending control characters.  You must run a separate "keyboard
   configuration" application to do this, however.

3) The Option key can be equally frustrating, because of the fact that
   Option is normally used for umlauts and other accents.  If you type
   (e.g.) Option-u, then the application itself does NOT receive the
   keydown event immediately, because the keyboard (or the driver??) is
   waiting to see if you're going to type another character to which an
   accent should be applied.  You actually have to type a second
   Option-u before the application is informed that an Option-U was
   typed.  I seem to recall hearing that there's no way for an
   application to override this "feature" and receive the raw
   keystrokes... perhaps a MacHacker out there can clarify this
   situation?

4) Which version of Red Ryder have you been using?

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 30 Mar 87 23:36:04 PST
From: jww@sdcsvax.ucsd.edu (Joel West)
Subject: Re: Terminal emulators (V5 #71)

Obviously Mr. Botz is new to the Mac market.

The option key is not generally a modifier.  It is a key that indicates
the character code generated.  With the provision of 'dead keys',
it's fairly impractical to use Option as a control key.
Whether this should be so, is another story, but that's the
reality of the Apple design.  (See 8/86 MacTutor)

Now, the new Mac SE/Mac II have an optional keyboard that
includes Control.  If you have a very clever terminal program
running on a keyboard that supports control, then the program
could enable Command equivalents and use Control as it
was intended to be used.  Also, the documentation for the new
keyboards suggest it might be easier to use Option on the new
keyboards than the old ones, because Apple has better documented
the keyboard interfaces.

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 30 Mar 87 10:48 EDT
From: Jeffrey Shulman <SHULMAN%slb-test.csnet@RELAY.CS.NET>
Subject: Usenet Mac Digest V3 #24

Usenet Mac Digest     Friday, March 27, 1987         Volume 3 : Issue 24

Today's Topics:
     Sad Mac -- HELP! Replies
     Cash Register Keyboard for the Mac
     Re: Mac SE - compatibility (where's the horizontal retrace bit?)
     Re: Of Games [for the MacSE] (Actually Dark Castles Compatibility)
     cheap but good MIDI interface??
     Re: Suggestions for Mac Fans (not people :-) Wanted
     MacWorld Weasels
     Help w/ printing graphics, window to printer
     Re: cheap but good MIDI interface?? (2 messages)
     Re: Mac II (really A/UX)
     Re: MacWrite 4.5 BOMB
     Re: Who is Cooke Publications?
     Library Manager
     Re: Hooking up a mac to external speakers
     Looking for WYSE50 or VT100 emulator "C" (Lightspeed) source
     C - Database interface ...
     Disk Drive Won`t Eject #!?#!?
     A/UX error
     microemacs 3.8 Macintosh differences and sources

[
archived as [SUMEX-AIM.Stanford.EDU]<INFO-MAC>USENETV3-24.ARC

DoD
]

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 30 Mar 87 10:50 EDT
From: Jeffrey Shulman <SHULMAN%slb-test.csnet@RELAY.CS.NET>
Subject: Usenet Mac Digest V3 #25

Usenet Mac Digest     Friday, March 27, 1987         Volume 3 : Issue 25

Today's Topics:
     Re: LSC error in printf?
     Still more Word 3.0 bugs
     mouse-feet
     Re: X windows for Mac?
     Re: Laserwriter, PostScript, and Patterns
     Info on Accounting Packages
     uuslave to Mac ???
     Re: Still more Word 3.0 bugs
     Re: Disk Drive Won`t Eject #!?#!?
     Macintosh --> LeCroy 9400
     Mac + SCSI Interface, Educational Shareware
     Re: Disk Drive Won`t Eject #!?#!?
     Re: Hooking up a mac to external speakers
     Re: Mac software query (Ready,Set,Go!3.0)
     MPW Problems
     MAC+ SIMM part number?
     Re: mouse-feet (2 messages)
     How to speed up the MAC ??
     Tektronix emulation through Telnet
     MIDI Sequencing Software for Mac+
     SE with Dark Castle & SmartAlarms
     Re: Re: Laserwriter, PostScript, and Patterns
     Re: SE with Dark Castle & SmartAlarms

[
archived as [SUMEX-AIM.Stanford.EDU]<INFO-MAC>USENETV3-25.ARC

DoD
]

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 30 Mar 87 10:51 EDT
From: Jeffrey Shulman <SHULMAN%slb-test.csnet@RELAY.CS.NET>
Subject: Delphi Mac Digest V3 #20

Delphi Mac Digest     Sunday, March 29, 1987         Volume 3 : Issue 20

Today's Topics:
     Problems Using SuperMac SuperSpool 3.2
     RE: servant
     RE: Stresed Nodes
     Re: Head parking and shutdown?
     Bug in Insect (2 messages)
     Acta converters
     RE: interrupts
     SmallTalk "resources" (2 messages)
     PageMaker 2.0 and WriteNow (2 messages)
     RE: PostScript
     SE internal disks
     efficient reading (5 messages)
     Font/DA mover
     Word - again (3 messages)
     Useful MPW C "Feature"
     2,-108 bug; Font/DA Mover; heap space
     RE: 2,-108 bug; Font/DA Mover; heap spac (2 messages)
     TextEdit length limitations
     mouse feet
     a NEW word 3.0 bug
     RE: potential problem in lightspeed DAs

[
archived as [SUMEX-AIM.Stanford.EDU]<INFO-MAC>DELPHIV3-20.ARC

DoD
]

End of INFO-MAC Digest