[mod.mac] Delphi Mac Digest V3 #20

SHULMAN@slb-test.CSNET.UUCP (03/30/87)

Delphi Mac Digest     Sunday, March 29, 1987         Volume 3 : Issue 20

Today's Topics:
     Problems Using SuperMac SuperSpool 3.2
     RE: servant
     RE: Stresed Nodes
     Re: Head parking and shutdown?
     Bug in Insect (2 messages)
     Acta converters
     RE: interrupts
     SmallTalk "resources" (2 messages)
     PageMaker 2.0 and WriteNow (2 messages)
     RE: PostScript
     SE internal disks
     efficient reading (5 messages)
     Font/DA mover
     Word - again (3 messages)
     Useful MPW C "Feature"
     2,-108 bug; Font/DA Mover; heap space
     RE: 2,-108 bug; Font/DA Mover; heap spac (2 messages)
     TextEdit length limitations
     mouse feet
     a NEW word 3.0 bug
     RE: potential problem in lightspeed DAs

From: SPERRAZZA
Subject: Problems Using SuperMac SuperSpool 3.2
Date: 22-MAR 13:41 Bugs & Features

Has anyone had unusual problems using SuperSpool? I have v. 3.2 and was
very pleased with it until: MDS Edit 2.0 bombed while printing in Draft
Quality (I use System 4.0 and IW driver 2.5); MockPrint won't work at
all (I figured it wouldn't); and. most mysteriously, MockWrite worked
for a while and now doesn't (same problem as MockPrint - It prints junk
to the printer). As the problems I' ve had are spectacular
paper-wasters, I haven't experimented much. Has anyone else had similar
problems? I expected MockPrint not to work, hoped MockWrite would, and
am distressed by Edit's problems. Thanks for the info - Joe S. P.S. Any
idea when (if ever) a new version of Edit will be released. 2.0 has a
problem if you're too deeply nested in HFS, but the Beta version has its
own problems (I think). - JSS

------------------------------

From: DDUNHAM
Subject: RE: servant (Re: Msg 18448)
Date: 22-MAR 18:31 Public Domain

"The latest version of Servant is .92, which features Get Info, Mac II
and Mac SE compatibility (with a hack for coloring existing application
windows on the Mac II), and some other fun new features.  I will make my
next upload as soon as file copy is implemented.  I'm currently working
on it about half-time or so and expect the version with file copy to be
available in April."  [Andy Hertzfeld]

Andy told me he's been delayed on Servant because he's making the Radius
FPD work with the Macintosh SE - its 256K ROM is very different from the
128K ROM in the Macintosh Plus.

------------------------------

From: MOUSEKETEER
Subject: RE: Stresed Nodes (Re: Msg 18443)
Date: 22-MAR 21:45 Business Mac

While I'm not "happy" to hear it, thanks for posting the note on
MSC/pal. The brochures included with the press release seemed to show
some Mac-ish looks, but I would certainly take the word of a user over a
hype kit.

Actually, the primary thing I found interesting about the program's
release was the idea of using a somewhat crippled, but inexpensive
version for students and casual interest folks.  I have been hoping that
one of the companies doing advanced CAD/CAM programs for the Mac would
take that approach, as there are some rather basic things I would like
to use a CAD/CAM program for, but could not justify the price of the
nice programs. (Related...I read somewhere recently that Generic CAD or
such is working on a Mac version to be offered at two levels, an
inexpensive but limited set, and a full-blown mega-buck version.)

Alf

------------------------------

From: BRECHER
Subject: Re: Head parking and shutdown?
Date: 23-MAR 06:15 MUGS Online

To: Stuart Strand <A0799%UWACDC.BITNET@wiscvm.wisc.edu>

The Shut Down process takes the disk offline.  When an HFS volume is
taken offline, the master directory block near the beginning of the
volume is written to.  If the disk is not taken offline before the Mac
is restarted, there is a delay, possibly a substantial one, upon
restarting.  Hence, a head-park DA or utility really ought to also
perform the Shut Down function.  If it doesn't, and you Shut Down after
using the head-park DA, the heads are not parked and the DA usage was a
waste of time.

------------------------------

From: PEABO
Subject: Bug in Insect (Re: Msg 18497)
Date: 23-MAR 20:14 Network Digests

>Date: Thu, 19 Mar 87 04:49:33 est
>From: ephraim%wang.uucp@RELAY.CS.NET
>Subject: Bug in Insect

>There's a subtle bug in my version of the Insect DA which I recently
>distributed.  In my defense, let me say that it's a smaller bug than the
>one it replaced!

Hmmm ... if Random is the only thing you need, why not use your own
pseudo-random number generator?  It probably wouldn't have to score well
on the spectral test to be good enough :-)

peter                          "In any context, half of all references
PEABO @ DELPHI                  are local and half are global."

------------------------------

From: BRECHER
Subject: Re: Bug in Insect
Date: 24-MAR 06:28 MUGS Online

To: ephraim%wang.uucp@RELAY.CS.NET

> A VBL which persists across program launches cannot depend on *any* qd
> globals [such as RandSeed, used by Random()], because it can't tell whether
> CurrentA5 is valid.

The byte WWExist ("Window World Exists") at $8F2 is set to $FF by
InitApplZone (and by rebooting), and cleared by InitWindows.  Given the
state of its values, it should really be thought of as "Window World
Doesn't Exist."  In short, if (WWExist)=0, then ((CurrentA5)) points to
QuickDraw globals.

If you need to use Random() regardless of whether QD globals are
available, and are willing to get a little tricky, you could temporarily
set A5 to a value such that

        Move.L  (A5),An
        Lea     -124(An),An

will cause An to point to your own private random seed.  Or, you could
just not use Random, which is a simple linear congruential generator,
and substitute your own routine.

------------------------------

From: DDUNHAM
Subject: Acta converters (Re: Msg 18497)
Date: 24-MAR 21:10 Network Digests

 > From: <FRUIN%HLERUL5.BITNET@wiscvm.wisc.edu> (Thomas Fruin)
 > Subject: WANTED: converting Acta documents to others and v.v.

Offhand I know of the following programs which use Acta format:

 Convert/Configure [Symmetry, part of Acta] - ThinkTank and TEXT to Acta
 Ripper [Jim Hopper, shareware] - PageMaker 1.2 to Acta
 Quacta [Daniel Smith] - Rolodex and Scrapbook (and ?) to Acta
 Dir-Acta-ry [David Dunham, free] - Disk directory to Acta
 Laser Author [Icon Technology, $?] - opens Acta documents with styles

I'll be interested in seeing your summary, since I have the feeling I've
forgotten someone.

I can't say much about it, but the next release of Acta will work with a
_lot_ more file formats, including MORE.  Right now, your friend will
have to open Acta and paste topics into MORE (MORE 1.1 does a reasonable
job with this).  To get from MORE to Acta, use Acta's "smart paste," or
save the document in ThinkTank format and use Convert/Configure.

Just as a reminder, the Acta file format is available on the nets (don't
ask me where, I only posted on Delphi and Compu$erve) or from Symmetry
Corp.  It's only one page long (someone once wrote asking for the
missing pages).

 David Dunham     "Whenever you see a sign 'No Exit,' it means
 Maitreya Design   there is an exit."

------------------------------

From: JOSEF
Subject: RE: interrupts (Re: Msg 1353)
Date: 24-MAR 00:37 Programming Techniques

I found out the answer to my problem:  apparently the hardware on the
Mac detects the fact that both the level 1 and level 2 interrupts have
been applied and then masks the level 1 interrupt.  So the level 3
interrupt only appears for a fleeting instant if at all.  Very clever
solution--only takes a gate or 2 and competely avoids the necessity of
fancy decoder logic.

Joe

------------------------------

From: DDUNHAM
Subject: SmallTalk "resources"
Date: 24-MAR 01:12 Tools for Developers

Does anyone know where I can get the various cursors used in Smalltalk?
I'd also like the font.  (I have 0.3, but it doesn't use resources to
speak of.)

------------------------------

From: RCONGDON
Subject: RE: SmallTalk "resources" (Re: Msg 1369)
Date: 24-MAR 03:28 Tools for Developers

Cursor bitmaps are hardcoded. The Cursor class initialization code has
code to build each of the various cursor types which are referenced as
class variables by Cursor class. If you have the 0.3 source you can
browse the class methods of Cursor class to look at the code that does
this.

I'm not too sure about the fonts: it's likely to be somewhere among the
classes DisplayText, Text and TextStyle likely to be hard-coded as well.

------------------------------

From: MACINTOUCH
Subject: PageMaker 2.0 and WriteNow
Date: 24-MAR 22:24 Business Mac

.. just looked at a press release for PageMaker 2.0, still scheduled for
the end of March... It's supposed to support *WriteNow* formatted
documents. In addition, it's supposed to also support Glue documents for
"placing" into PageMaker layouts.  I sure hope they have more bug-free
conversion than MS Word 3.0 does.  (And PM 2.0 is supposed to be able to
*save* documents in Word 3.0 format.  But I'll still be glad to have
Ripper around...)

Ric

"A Mac program never makes you type a filename twice"

------------------------------

From: JIMH
Subject: RE: PageMaker 2.0 and WriteNow (Re: Msg 18515)
Date: 25-MAR 19:29 Business Mac

Ric, Pagemaker 2.0 has gone to everything in the data fork (PC type
implementaition)  So i havnt the foggiest of how to decode it.  unless
they wont give me the file specs, i afraid there will be no ripper for
2.0.

Oh and by the by, someone i know took a small file from current
pagemaker ( something like 17k) and resaved id in 2.0 and it became a
44k file.  He is seriously unhappy about the data file size expansion
with no increased functions.  best jim

------------------------------

From: MACINTOUCH
Subject: RE: PostScript (Re: Msg 18521)
Date: 25-MAR 11:27 Creative Pursuits

I think the only option would be to save the file by hitting Command-F
or Command-G just after telling the Mac to print, then sending the saved
file with a telecommunications program like MockTerminal or Red Ryder.

Ric Ford

------------------------------

From: MACINTOUCH
Subject: SE internal disks
Date: 25-MAR 21:28 Business Mac

I've just been reading some technical information from Apple, and it
says that Mac SE's with internal 20 MB hard disks can *NOT* be
"upgraded" to a two-800K configuration; also, the two-800K configuration
can *not* be changed to a 20MB configuration.  Does anyone know of any
reasons this would be true?  Are the logic boards different somehow?

Ric Ford

------------------------------

From: DDUNHAM
Subject: efficient reading
Date: 25-MAR 03:37 Programming Techniques

Is it bad practice to read through a file as in:

    count = 1L;    /* Read a single character */
    error = FSRead(infil,&count,&c);

IV-95 indicates that this will only hit the disk one time in 512, so it
seems like a good idea to keep the de-buffering overhead in the ROM and
out of my program.

------------------------------

From: DWB
Subject: RE: efficient reading (Re: Msg 1371)
Date: 25-MAR 07:56 Programming Techniques

Other than the fact that it's a lot more to type than
    c = getchar(infil);
 I guess not.  I have a preference for hiding that type of stuff even
farther away.

David

------------------------------

From: PEABO
Date: 25-MAR 22:57 Programming Techniques

I like to use moderate sized buffers because I think that the overhead
of calling the read subroutine (even with 512 bytes in a I/O buffer
somewhere) is substantial enough to make the program run maybe half as
fast as it might.

There are cases where the read logic really wants only one character at
a time and keeping track of the unbuffering is enough of a pain that
it's not a good idea to buffer the read within the application code.

peter

------------------------------

From: DDUNHAM
Subject: RE: efficient reading (Re: Msg 1372)
Date: 26-MAR 22:04 Programming Techniques

Problem with using stdio is in converting from Standard File to Unix
files (or is that in the part of the LsC manual I haven't read?).  Plus
the atrocious overhead you get with libraries like that.  (The specific
example is from a non- application program, i.e. a code resource like a
desk accessory segment.)

------------------------------

From: DWB
Subject: RE: efficient reading (Re: Msg 1374)
Date: 27-MAR 04:50 Programming Techniques

Who said anything about standard io.  I was talking about writing a very
simple routine which did basically what you code segment had in it, and
calling that from all over the place.  Isolate that nasty bit of code.
Guess I wasn't really very clear on that was I.  For what it's worth, I
havn't used LS stdio yet.

David
 (oh yeah, and I'm a unix hack too!)

------------------------------

From: MACINTOUCH
Subject: Font/DA mover (Re: Msg 18436)
Date: 27-MAR 10:08 Network Digests

Jan, did you patch 3.4?  How do you do it?

I tried Nevai's Font/DA Mover patch on F/DAM 3.4 with poor results.  The
program came up with Fonts, rather than DAs selected, despite the fact
that the MacUser patches had been applied; and I could not install a DA
(got the "too many DA's" message) after patching, although I could do it
with the patched 3.2 F/DAM.

Ric

(Maybe I should have turned cache off ...)

------------------------------

From: MOUSE1
Subject: Word - again
Date: 27-MAR 20:24 SIG Business

I quote from a letter just received from Microsoft: " Your document has
been reformatted and hopefully looks like what you desired.  One thing
that helps me when reformating is to "show paragraphs" which shows
paragraph returns, line feeds, tabs and spaces."  That is all fine and
nice of MS to re do my document ( which I havent received yet) but did
nothing to answer my question why did it loose formatting when converted
from Word 1 to Word 3.  I am well aware that showing paragraphs can help
in formatting if you need it.  As you may - or may not- recall, I had a
14 page  document which was formatted in columns, sometimes 2 to a page,
sometimes just a regular page, and when I converted it, all formatting
was lost, headers disappeared, plain text became underlined when only
headers were underlined, etc.  At the time this happened, I screamed,
kicked the Mac -- and made 3 phone calls to MS before I got someone
reasonably intelligent who informed me something must have happened in
the converting process. Obviously. And I still dont know what or why!
Oh, well, as I said, I have a love/hate relationship with Word, and I
just had to vent out a little steam. Thank God, I printed the document
before converting or I would have been in terrible trouble.  And may God
also be good enough that I may never have to format in columns again!
   Judy

------------------------------

From: MACINTOUCH
Subject: RE: Word - again (Re: Msg 18566)
Date: 28-MAR 09:14 SIG Business

Judy,

Sorry to hear about the lousy experience you're having.  I'm very
disappointed in the quality of Word 3.0 myself, especially the
translation programs, but Rick LePage reminds me that Word 1.00 wasn't
too swift either, and it wasn't until Word 1.05 came out that we had
something useful.  Of course, even then, we had a lot of trouble losing
data and everything until we learned the little idiosyncracies of its
temporary files and the way it keeps files "open" even after you "close"
them ...  (apparently also still a problem that causes crashes in Word
3.0).  I don't know what Microsoft is going to do about distributing
fixes.  They're going to get an "ear-full" of reaction if they *charge*
to fix these bugs, but I expect a $20 "upgrade" fee, being a pessimist.

Anyway, it's reasons like this that have built ICONtact, user groups
like the BCS and BMUG, and newsletters like MacInTouch.  Hope we can
help!

Ric

------------------------------

From: MOUSE1
Subject: RE: Word - again (Re: Msg 18582)
Date: 28-MAR 13:46 SIG Business

As an addendum to my message, the "corrected" disk arrived today -- and
still needed some reformatting.  When I checked page preview, I found
errors that did not show up in viewing the screen.  And Im damned if I
can figure out why they put division breaks in where there should have
been page breaks -- but at least it looks ok on page preview and mine
not to reason why --especially with MS! Interestingly enough, the only
document that I had problems with was the one formatted in columns --
the others converted just fine.
   Judy

------------------------------

From: DSCHLESINGER
Subject: Useful MPW C "Feature"
Date: 26-MAR 23:47 Tools for Developers

I've discovered a very useful undocumented "feature" in MPW C.  In
addition to being able to define pascal routines as follows:

pascal void myMDEF(message, theMenu, theRect, thePoint, theItem)
    short message;
    MenuHandle theMenu; Rect *theRect;
    Point thePoint;
    short *theItem;

you can alternatively use the following:

pascal void myMDEF(short, MenuHandle, Rect *, Point, short *);

The second format is very useful for defining fields in structures which
are actually ProcPtr's (or ProcHandles).  I'm defining the MenuInfo
structure as follows now:

typedef struct MenuInfo {
    short menuID;
    short menuWidth;
    short menuHeight;
    pascal void (**menuProc)(short,MenuHandle,Rect *,Point,short *);
    long enableFlags;
    Str255 menuData; } MenuInfo, *MenuPtr, **MenuHandle;

I can then call the MDEF directly as follow:

(**((*theMenu)->menuProc))(message,theMenu,&theRect,hitPoint,&itemHit);

Comes in handy when you need it...  It saved me some assembler glue...

------------------------------

From: MACINTOUCH
Subject: 2,-108 bug; Font/DA Mover; heap space
Date: 27-MAR 23:01 Bugs & Features

A lot of you probably already know this and a lot probably don't.  I
wasn't paying attention, and only got enlightened by Jan Eugenides...

Ever get "Serious System error 2,-108" in Font/DA Mover?  And not know
why? It turns out to be simply a case of insufficient heap space.
What's that mean?  It means you've got to get out Fedit and modify your
boot blocks to give more space to the System heap.   Works like a charm.

Ric

------------------------------

From: PEABO
Subject: RE: 2,-108 bug; Font/DA Mover; heap spac (Re: Msg 18571)
Date: 28-MAR 03:54 Bugs & Features

Or, alternatively don't try to update the system you're running on ...
boot a floppy with Font/DA Mover on it.

peter

------------------------------

From: DDUNHAM
Date: 28-MAR 04:28 Bugs & Features

That's exactly what the error means.  You need to use Fedit+ if you've
got 128K ROMs.  A simpler solution for people who don't own/are afraid
of Fedit+ is never to install anything into an active System -- boot
from a floppy with a System, Finder, and Font/DA Mover on it, and run
that copy of F/DAM.

------------------------------

From: DDUNHAM
Subject: TextEdit length limitations (Re: Msg 18568)
Date: 28-MAR 04:27 Network Digests

 > Subject: TextEdit length limitations
 > From: David M. Gelphman

According to IM V-13.2, if txSize >= 0, fields have their old meanings.
If txSize == -1, edit record has style info.  It doesn't say what
happens if txSize < 0.  I've heard rumours that the TextEdit from the
Mac II would appear on the Mac Plus/SE as System patches...

From: DDUNHAM
Subject: mouse feet (Re: Msg 18570)
Date: 28-MAR 04:28 Network Digests

 > From: agh@rayssde.RAY.COM (Armond G. Hall)
 > Subject: mouse-feet

I've gotten mouse feet from Tacklind Design, 250 Cowper St, Palo Alto,
CA 94301. They're made of teflon, and cost something like $3.

Disclaimer:  Tacklind once sent me a free set of mouse feet, thinking I
was a dealer.  But I liked them well enough to buy a set for another
Mac.

 David Dunham     "Efficiency is intelligent laziness."
 Maitreya Design

------------------------------

From: CHUQ
Subject: a NEW word 3.0 bug
Date: 28-MAR 22:26 Bugs & Features

I just found out after an hour of beating my head against a wall that
side-by- side paragraphs do not work in a header.  The same format that
works fine in a regular document window will not format when moved to
the header (or in my case, special first page header -- I was trying to
clean up my brute force letterhead into something elegant).

foo.  to reproduce, open a new document, set the 'first page special' in
the section, open the special header, and type in two paragraphs.  right
justify the second paragraph, select each paragraph and turn on the
side-by-side option. works fine in the main document, not in the header.

Sigh.  So I got to redesign my letterhead.  Another rough edge on the
diamond in the raw.  I'm beginning to wonder if all those glowing
reviews in the magazines this month were done after the reporters were
promised all the bugs would be fixed, or whether they were so enamoured
at getting advanced copies they forgot to be critical?  I think word 3.0
brings the whole question of doing reviews from advanced software into
question, frankly -- MacUser, Macworld, and just about everyone else who
drooled over this product blew it royally.  It's good, but it is really
not shippable software.

feh.

chuq

------------------------------

From: RMUHA
Subject: RE: potential problem in lightspeed DAs (Re: Msg 1363)
Date: 29-MAR 03:12 Programming Techniques

Incidentally, the lightspeed DA glue routines lock and unlock the
handles directly (via BSET and BCLR).  According to IM-IV (the Memory
Manager Chpt) this virtually guarantees incompatibility with future
versions of Mac... I'm definitely going to call and complain about that
one.

------------------------------

End of Delphi Mac Digest
************************

SHULMAN@slb-test.CSNET.UUCP (04/06/87)

Delphi Mac Digest     Monday, April 6, 1987          Volume 3 : Issue 20

Today's Topics:
     RE: stuck interrupt switches
     Stepping Out
     re: Reset, keyboards on new machines
     ABATON SCANNER (3 messages)
     RE: Terminal Emulators and Control Codes
     FullWrite
     APPLE CUSTOMER SUPPORT
     Problems with System 4.0/Finder 5.4 and
     Mac Clones
     Large Font
     Cassette Labels on the LW
     FILEMAKER+ MEMORY PROBLEMS (2 messages)
     GCC FX/40 warranty extended
     Dictionary (3 messages)
     Bi-Directional Printing
     Wierd Problems ...
     RE: more new WORD BUGS! (wow!) (2 messages)
     macsbug on Mac SE
     Custom Print Dialogs (3 messages)
     DF problems
     Databases & Map Making (4 messages)
     re Sample WriteNow
     re Word 3.0 Bug (?)
     re Resedit PICT question.
     International Symbols (2 messages)
     Re: Mac II vs. IBM PS/2
     RE: Multi-button mice

From: DSACHS
Subject: RE: stuck interrupt switches
Date: 29-MAR 11:53 Network Digests

To the people with stuck interrupt switches. (soory it scrolled off).
There are older versions of the interrupt switch that will not work
properly on a Mac +. Often these switches will work if installed UPSIDE
DOWN.  This especially applies to Macintosh pluses that were origionally
older models, and had the logic board upgrade.  The new board seems to
fit slightly differently.

------------------------------

From: PEABO
Subject: Stepping Out (Re: Msg 18594)
Date: 29-MAR 20:22 Network Digests

>Date: 27 Mar 87 13:51:00 EST
>From: bouldin@ceee-sed.arpa
>Subject: Stepping Out

>I just saw my first demo of "Stepping Out" the virtual screen product from
>BMUG. This is a nice product. It allows you to install a large virtual screen
>and lets the Mac physical screen act as a window into the virtual space.

Much as we like BMUG, Stepping Out is not from there, it's from a
company with a similar name, Berkeley System Design.

From: MACINTOUCH
Subject: re: Reset, keyboards on new machines (Re: Msg 18594)
Date: 30-MAR 09:27 Network Digests

To: pw0g#@andrew.cmu.edu (the bear) Subject: Reset, keyboards on new
machines

The Mac SE has a programmer's switch essentially the same as the Mac
Plus's, but with bigger buttons.  (It has special matching notches in
the case and the switch, so it has to go on one particular place.)

See the April 87 issue of "Byte" for a description, in the IIgs review,
of exchanging keycaps on the IIgs keyboard.  The new Mac keyboards may
be similar; I don't know.

MacKeymeleon is one program for changing the keymap (in software).

Ric Ford

------------------------------

From: UHA
Subject: ABATON SCANNER
Date: 30-MAR 16:37 Hardware & Peripherals

I HAVE AN ABATON SCANNER AND AM HAVING DIFFICULTY DOWNLOADING A GRAPHIC
THROUGH MACPAINT TO PAGEMAKER.  THE FINAL GRAPHIC IS EITHER TOO LARGE OR
TOO SMALL -- ANY SUGGESTIONS???

I NEED TO ACQUIRE A COPY OF FEDIT 3.1 IN ORDER TO MODIFY THE EXISTING
FINDER ICONS AND CREATE NEW ONES.  WHERE CAN I ACQUIRE THIS -- HELP.

LAST BUT NOT LEAST DEPARTMENT - I HAVE BEEN AN APPLE PRODUCTS FANCIER
SINCE THE LATE 70'S AND HAVE MANY II PROGRAMS.  ONE IN PARTICULAR HAS
JUST GONE PUBLIC DOMAIN.  IT IS "FIRE ORGAN" AND IT'S ASSOCIATED
PROGRAMMING PACKAGE.  I WOULD LOVE TO PLA CE THIS IN THE DELPHI SYSTEM
-- THE PROBLEM IS HOW TO CONVERT IT TO A MAC 68000 CONFIGURATION.  IF
ANYONE CAN HELP BY RECOMMENDING SOFTWARE OR JUST A TRIED AND TRUE METHOD
-- I'M LISTENING.

THAT ABOUT DOES IT FOR NOW AND THANKS

UHA

------------------------------

From: MACINTOUCH
Subject: RE: ABATON SCANNER (Re: Msg 18618)
Date: 30-MAR 19:55 Hardware & Peripherals

Fedit Plus is a commercial product from John Mitchell, available through
ComputerWare and other good dealers and mail order suppliers.

Sorry I can't help with the other questions.

Ric

------------------------------

From: DDUNHAM
Date: 31-MAR 21:50 Hardware & Peripherals

What do you mean, "too large or too small?"  I've always found that
putting real big images into PageMaker, then reducing them, gives the
best results.  I'm not familiar with the Abaton, but I do know that
MacPaint is limited to 72 dots per inch, and an image size of a single
page.

If you're planning on converting something from 6502 to 68000, good
luck.  I'd suggest doing something more productive.  You'd probably be
better off rewriting it anyway; few people can stomach Mac programs that
use a text-based interface (as I assume an Apple II program does).

------------------------------

From: PEABO
Subject: RE: Terminal Emulators and Control Codes (Re: Msg 18622)
Date: 30-MAR 21:34 Network Digests

>Date: Sun, 29 Mar 87  12:38:03 EST
>From: JURGEN%UMASS.BITNET@wiscvm.wisc.edu
>Subject: Terminal Emulators and Control Codes (Flame)

>Who was the bright guy who decided that terminal emulators should use the
>command key to send control characters...?

>Why do I say that it is nonsensical to use the command key as a control key
>equivalent..?  Well, the logic is simple... the COMMAND key is defined to
>be the key which you use to invoke COMMANDS!  Such as menu equivalents, Cut
>& Paste, macros, etc.  The OPTION key is the key with which you generate
>OPTIONAL characters, i.e. characters that are not part of the set of
>characters printed on the top of your key-caps.  Such as... accent marks,
>bullets, and...  CONTROL CHARACTERS!!!!

There's a serious difficulty with using option for this purpose:  the
dead keys it produces for accenting.  Although it's possible to turn off
the dead key processing, Apple won't sanction the method for doing that,
meaning your program will break someday.  Thus, the assignment of which
alternate codes get produced with the option key is not arbitary.

I think the only reasonable solution is to let the user decide which key
to use (and thus his choice of which shortcoming of the system to live
with). Red Ryder does this.

From: DDUNHAM
Subject: FullWrite (Re: Msg 18622)
Date: 31-MAR 21:50 Network Digests

If Ann Arbor can deliver, FullWrite will be a fantastic program. They're
biting off an awful lot, however.  I'm not too fond of the company --
first they put out a copy perverted paint program, then they take out an
ad putting down a competitor's product (deservedly so, but that's beside
the point).  And when a rep came to our user group, he claimed that 1)
FullPaint had no bugs; 2) FullWrite will be released in a bug-free
state.  Right.

For the time being, I'm sticking to WriteNow, which I consider the best
WP on the market.

------------------------------

From: BBAKER
Subject: APPLE CUSTOMER SUPPORT
Date: 31-MAR 23:12 Mousing Around

I wanted to respond to Patrick Kuras's "Replies to a few postings from
number 70," in which he describes the way Apple has set up its "Customer
Support" program.  I will acknowledge that what he says about how the
system is * supposed* to work seems quite logical, but the reality of
the matter is that if you have a crummy Apple dealer (and I think I do),
the system fails completely.

Case in point:  For months now, I have been trying to get an upgraded
version of the guided tour for MacDraw--one that will run on a Mac Plus
without bombing. Purpose: to provide some in-service for our
instructional faculty who would like to use our Media Center's Mac for
producing spiffy transparencies on the LaserWriter Plus.  Seems easy
enough. . . .  But wait, I have an *authorized Apple dealer*, who after
a month and a half--Applelink and all--was unable to get me an upgraded
tour; this after repeated pleading telephone calls (the faculty pressure
is building).  So I finally ask for the Apple telephone number, since my
authorized dealer indicates that it is *Apple* who has dropped the ball.
 The "Customer Support" telephone recording in Cupertino (after several
minutes of Windham Hill music--typical style over substance) summarily
announces that "all the staff are in a meeting now, planning ways to
serve you better."  I try the main corporate number--still on my nickel,
of course--and keep getting shunted from one exasperating know-nothing
secretary  ("Are you sure you don't want the 'Software Sampler?'") to
another.  Tick, tick, tick.

I finally reached someone who understood what it was I was looking for,
and who indicated that if I would just get a special "upgrade" form from
my authorized Apple dealer and mail it in, they would be happy to
upgrade my guided tour. Gimme a break, lady.  If my authorized Apple
dealer had been able to help me . . . etc., etc.  Of course, given the
amount of time and expense I'd gone to, Apple could have been kind
enough to simply say "Hey, we're sorry about whatever went wrong in the
system--we'll have that Guided Tour in the mail today."  But no-- she
gets her way and mails me a card, and I mail in my original Guided Tour
disk and cassette recording.  (Another two weeks).  Some four or five
weeks ago, a package arrived from Apple, containing my upgraded Guided
Tour, but no cassette tape.  More telephone calls to Cupertino.  Windham
Hill music.  "We're sorry, sir, that item is on backorder."

Okay, so I started this whole thing on the 4th of January, A.D. 1987,
and here we are at the beginning of April, and I still don't have a
working Guided Tour. And I am fed to the gills, and so angry with Apple
Computer that I don't even have the ability to write to complain to
them.  I guess I'm beginning to understand how IBM made it on their
reputation for customer support.
 -- Bob

------------------------------

From: MACINTOUCH
Subject: Problems with System 4.0/Finder 5.4 and (Re: Msg 18622)
Date: 1-APR-14:08: Network Digests

To: Peter Gergely <GERGELY@DREA-XX.ARPA>
Subject: Problems with System 4.0/Finder 5.4 and Copy II Mac

I just tried copying a disk with System 4.0 and Finder 5.4 on a Mac Plus
with 2.5MB, 1MB of cache, and 85,000 system heap bytes.  It seemed to go
fine until the last two tracks, where I got "W" write errors.  I took
the new disk and ran it through Disk First Aid and a Finder
initialization with no problems.  Do you have non-standard INITs in your
System folder? Did you run the System 4.0 boot blocks program?

Ric Ford

------------------------------

From: SHIHTUNG
Subject: Mac Clones
Date: 1-APR-20:25: Hardware & Peripherals

   April's MacUser alluded to some cheap Mac Clones coming out.  Does
anyone know much of these (rumored) machines ?  These don't include the
Magic Sac emulator for the Atari ST.
  Some Mac Clones could be very good for the market.  Both as consumers
and user interface evangelists.  Assuming that they are legal, of
course.

------------------------------

From: SWABBY
Subject: Large Font
Date: 1-APR-21:46: Creative Pursuits

I'm looking for a medium to large (say 48 point) font that I can use on
an imagewriter to print name tags.  Something fancy along the lines of
Venice-14 (but larger) would be ideal.  The extra large 72 points
available are a little too big.  Does anyone have any suggestions?

swabby

------------------------------

From: SWEET
Subject: Cassette Labels on the LW
Date: 1-APR-21:56: Business Mac

Help!
       I just bought a laserwriter and I would like to print cassette
labels with it. However I have 2 different  brands/sheets of label stock
and they both have aligned one side of the cassette label directly on
the edge of the paper. The laser needs abou t a 1/2 inch margin all of
the way around the paper. Otherwise the labels look GREAT! Does any one
know of a supplier of cassette labels that will work with the laser?
Thanks all .....Chuck "Sweet"

------------------------------

From: MRCUTTERMAN
Subject: FILEMAKER+ MEMORY PROBLEMS
Date: 1-APR-23:28: Bugs & Features

I WOULD LIKE TO CORRESPOND WITH ANYONE WHO IS USING FILEMAKER+ AND HAS
EXPERIENCED PROBLEMS WITH MEMORY/ERROR MESSAGES. I AM USINF  A 512K MAC
"NOT ENHANCED". FOR SOME REASON I AM GETTING MANY MEMORY/ERROR MESSAGES
THAT SAY THAT THE DISK IS FULL (WHEN IT'S NOT) OR THAT THE PROGRAM IS
HAVING TROUBLE FINDING MEMORY BLOCKS TO STORE OR RETREVE DATA. MY FILES
ARE NOT THAT LARGE AND THERE IS NO LOGICAL REASON (IN MY OPINION ) FOR
THIS TO BE HAPPENING. ANY IDEAS???

------------------------------

From: CHUQ
Subject: RE: FILEMAKER+ MEMORY PROBLEMS (Re: Msg 18684)
Date: 1-APR-23:39: Bugs & Features

I'm having no problem with filemaker+ on a 512K enhanced, so I would
guess it is either a compatibility problem with the OLD rom or with the
old system software. Personally, I'd upgrade ASAP.  There are lots of
good reasons to, and few (none, actually) not to.

chuq

------------------------------

From: MACINTOUCH
Subject: GCC FX/40 warranty extended
Date: 2-APR-17:43: Hardware & Peripherals

General Computer Corp. is shipping, or just about to ship, the FX/40
external HyperDrive.  It will now come with a one-year warranty, like
the FX/20.  We should have an evaluation unit shortly.

Ric Ford

------------------------------

From: VARIPAPA
Subject: Dictionary
Date: 2-APR-23:06: Business Mac

My secretaries are thinking about typing about 20,000 medical words into
a text file and a Word 3.0 dictionary.  My question is 1) are there any
legal barriers or problems to consider and 2) What would the general
interest be.  Any help appreciated.  Plan would be to offer it as
shareware or low-cost....Bob V.

------------------------------

From: CHUQ
Subject: RE: Dictionary (Re: Msg 18724)
Date: 3-APR-22:26: Business Mac

It isn't so clearcut -- IF they could show a 1:1 correspondence between
their copyrighted work and your published dictionary (all your words are
their words, and you don't have a significant number of words that
aren't theirs) then they can, if not for copyright, get you for
something else, such as appropriation of proprietary information.  After
all, THEY did all the reasearch, and incurred all the costs, and you're
making the mooney, and keeping them from doing the same market
themselves.

There is an old writer's saying:  if you steal from 2 sources, it is
plagiarism, if you steal from 6 it is research.  If you're going to do a
project such as this, you shouldn't take a source and copy it.  Use it
(and other sources) as a base, and make it what you want it to be.

chuq

------------------------------

From: VARIPAPA
Subject: RE: Dictionary (Re: Msg 18729)
Date: 3-APR-23:52: Business Mac

Thanks for the interchange guys.  The girls were going to get the words
from several sources - the catch 22 is that everything is "published",
especially in medicine.  If the words were from a variety of sources -
eg: several dictionarys , textbooks, as well as journal articles, it
would be hard for one publisher to claim that the words were taken
SOLELY from one (theirs) source.  The one problem would be if someone
wanted to sue you, it would certainly be easy to get intimidated or
broke (monetarily).  The girls wanted to do it to try and make a few
bucks so I will let them decide for themselves.....Bob V. (I wonder how
Spellswell, etc. got their words??? Anyone for scrapple...)

------------------------------

From: FREDDYO
Subject: Bi-Directional Printing
Date: 3-APR-04:37: Business Mac

Has anyone figured out how to force Bi-Directional Printing with Word
3.0?

Thanks.

Frederick

------------------------------

From: MACINTOUCH
Subject: Wierd Problems ... (Re: Msg 18693)
Date: 3-APR-08:50: Network Digests

To: JOHNC%CAD2.decnet@ge-crd.arpa
Subject: Wierd Problems ...

I have a feeling that the problems will disappear if the HyperDrive,
clip and all, is removed...

Ric Ford

------------------------------

From: MACINTOUCH
Subject: RE: more new WORD BUGS! (wow!) (Re: Msg 18608)
Date: 3-APR-10:39: Bugs & Features

I have discovered a new "feature" of Word 3.  It seems that a style
sheet which specifies the "bold" attribute, doesn't mean that applying
that style will give you bold text.  Noooooooo.  It means "flip the bold
bit."  Yep, if the text you're applying the style to is already bold, it
turns plain.

Maybe I don't understand the program well enough.  Maybe I don't
understand the *programmer* well enough.

Ric

------------------------------

From: DSACHS
Subject: RE: more new WORD BUGS! (wow!) (Re: Msg 18720)
Date: 3-APR-20:09: Bugs & Features

All character attributes are flippable in this manner.  Also "Plain
Text" is the font AND the format of the paragraph style.  It should be
documented better.

------------------------------

From: METASOFTWARE
Subject: macsbug on Mac SE
Date: 3-APR-18:06: Tools for Developers

does anyone understand why Macsbug does not respond when the programmers
switch is depressed on the Mac SE? All I get is the internal Mac
debugger. i'm sure Macsbug has been loaded since i get the message in
the generic startup screen, and the boot blocks has the same filename as
Macsbug. i'm using Macsbug 5.1B.3 . anyone got any ideas?

------------------------------

From: METASOFTWARE
Subject: Custom Print Dialogs
Date: 3-APR-18:07: Programming Techniques

i've been deciphering tech note 95 regarding modification of the print
setup and print dialogs. there are 2 routines mentioned in the test
program provided which i cannot find in either lightspeed c or manx:
  PrJobInit()   &   PrDlgMain() i understand the function of these
routines, but my compilers will not recognize them. do i need to trace
thru PrStlDialog & PrJobDialog to find their addresses (do-able but not
portable), or is there an easier way to find out?

------------------------------

From: DDUNHAM
Subject: RE: Custom Print Dialogs (Re: Msg 1385)
Date: 4-APR-03:57: Programming Techniques

 pascal TPPrDlg MyJobInit(THPrint hPrint);
 pascal void MyJobItems(TPPrDlg dialog, word item);
 pascal TPPrDlg PrJobInit(...); /* undocumented Q gets standard print
job dialog */
 pascal Boolean PrDlgMain(...); /* undocumented Q print manager's dialog
handler */

Both Aztec and Lightspeed C's libraries have these functions.

------------------------------

From: DSACHS
Date: 4-APR-10:20: Programming Techniques

Be sure to follow the guidlines of IM and TN95 to the letter. A lot of
the problems with the latest Microsoft Word are from their failure to do
so.

------------------------------

From: MOUSEKETEER
Subject: DF problems
Date: 4-APR-19:03: Hardware & Peripherals

I don't know much about this, but I promised to ask:

Friend is having problems running a DF 20 (new) on a Mac512K that has
stuff in it from Human touc and Novy...running 68020.  He is using the
newest Apple System and Finder.

Any hints?

Alf the Non-Hardware Hacker

------------------------------

From: TRAINBRAIN
Subject: Databases & Map Making
Date: 4-APR-21:20: Business Mac

Do you, or anyone else reading this, know of:

1.      A data base manager that can include icons and other symbols in the
        data base?

2.      A program that can use the information in the data base to make a
        chart of a geographic region?  The features displayed on the chart
        would, of course, be defined in the data base.

The application is a moving background display for the instructor in a
flight simulator.  I vaguely recall the state of Arizona doing something
like this for airport maps with Filevision.

Thanks,

Steve Seidensticker

------------------------------

From: LIPP
Subject: RE: Databases & Map Making (Re: Msg 18754)
Date: 5-APR-06:28: Business Mac

at the hannover fair in western germany apple presented a beta release
of 4th dimension. they showed a demo application with maps, icons and
all the other stuff you wanted.

consider 4tzh dimension to solve your problems

regards t.lipp

------------------------------

From: MACINTOUCH
Date: 5-APR-10:03: Business Mac

Business Filevision is a more powerful version of Filevision, and should
be able to do your job.

Ric

------------------------------

From: PEABO
Date: 5-APR-13:25: Business Mac

Filevision was exactly what I thought of when I started reading your
question. The Arizona airport thing was a project which won a prize in a
contest sponsored by Telos.  This was in the first release of
Filevision, and since then Business Filevision has come out and is
supposedly a lot more flexible.

You might consider using Guide (hypertext), since it allows you to put
notations into a graphical database.  It doesn't however make the
creation and maintenance of the database any easier as far as I can
determine, since it does not have an underpinning of a conventional
database like Filevision has.

Owl International will be in CO with us next Sunday (April 12) so you
could drop in and ask them about thta (or send me mail with a prepared
question and I will ask it for you).

peter

------------------------------

From: DDUNHAM
Subject: re Sample WriteNow (Re: Msg 18739)
Date: 5-APR-03:21: Network Digests

 > From: Jonathan K. Millen <jkm@mitre-bedford.ARPA>
 > Subject: Sample WriteNow

Did you try that 11-point Times with or without the printer spacing
option (in page setup)?

I get footnotes not to expand line spacing by making them very small.

------------------------------

From: DDUNHAM
Subject: re Word 3.0 Bug (?) (Re: Msg 18741)
Date: 5-APR-03:21: Network Digests

 >From: dlt@csun.UUCP (Dave Thompson)
 >Subject: Word 3.0 Bug (?)

Not only do MacWrite and Word 1.05 read Acta's MacWrite files, but so do
PageMaker and the WriteNow translator...so I think your identification
of the bug's location is correct.  I haven't seen the Word crash, but
then I don't have a copy of Word 3.  I do think Word is having problems
with Acta topics that include RETURNs (but note that at least 4 other
programs have no problems).

Acta creates minimal MacWrite documents (it doesn't calculate the height
of each line and paragraph, but sets a flag so MacWrite will, when the
document is opened).

------------------------------

From: DDUNHAM
Subject: re Resedit PICT question. (Re: Msg 18742)
Date: 5-APR-03:22: Network Digests

 > From: eckert@lll-lcc.aRpA (Philip D. Eckert)
 > Subject: Resedit PICT question.

Just select the PICT while in ResEdit, Copy it, and paste it into Acta
or a Scrapbook DA.

 David Dunham     "If it has syntax, it isn't user-friendly."
 Maitreya Design

------------------------------

From: JDSCHNITZER
Subject: International Symbols
Date: 5-APR-09:20: Business Mac

Can someone give me a pointer to a set of international symbols (such as
"fragile" or "no smoking", rather than "umlaut").  I'm looking for a
large set and at this point either a font (laserwriter preferred) or
clip-art will do. I know I've seen it somewhere, but I don't remember
where.

                                                        /Jeff

------------------------------

From: FRIED
Subject: RE: International Symbols (Re: Msg 18761)
Date: 5-APR-13:46: Business Mac

Mac the Knife (the original, probably called volume 1) has what you
want, I think.

Bob

------------------------------

From: MACINTOUCH
Subject: Re: Mac II vs. IBM PS/2 (Re: Msg 18739)
Date: 5-APR-09:30: Network Digests

To: jww@sdcsvax.ucsd.edu (Joel West)
Subject: Mac II vs. IBM PS/2

Thanks for the informative comparison of the new systems.  It had a
number of answers to questions I was very curious about and hadn't seen
answers to.

A couple of other items came to mind, which were not mentioned.  What
about library/toolbox support?  Is there any equivalent to the Mac
Toolbox in the IBM side?  (I suppose Windows is it).  Are there some
other issues lingering, with respect to development environments?  It
seems that the Mac world has endured a long startup period, in which
some remarkable development tools have evolved.  Is there anything
similar in the PC world, or is that down the road?  Finally, what about
standards?  We've talked about bus and processor and os standards, but
what about things such as PICT, PostScript, character sets, and
networking support???  (Does the new PC support Ethernet?)

Ric Ford "MacInTouch" newsletter

------------------------------

From: MACINTOUCH
Subject: RE: Multi-button mice (Re: Msg 18745)
Date: 5-APR-09:59: Hardware & Peripherals

I used to be adamant about the idea that a mouse should only have one
button, but I find naive Mac users have more trouble, conceptually and
manually, with the single/double click and the click vs. drag, than they
do with most of the Mac interface.  Splitting objects (selection) and
actions (dragging/ opening/other) into two separate buttons would
probably make the user interface clearer and more consistent to new
users as well as old.

Ric Ford

End of Delphi Mac Digest