[mod.mac] INFO-MAC Digest V5 #75

INFO-MAC@SUMEX-AIM.STANFORD.EDU.UUCP (04/08/87)

INFO-MAC Digest          Tuesday, 7 Apr 1987       Volume 5 : Issue 75

Today's Topics:
     how to stop a NOISY terminal emulator program without RESETting
             Fix for bug in Macfortran call to SIZERESOURCE
                     Complex Variables in MS Fortran
            Re: Terminal Emulators and Control Codes [1 line]
                      Re: TextEdit size limitations
             Re: which editor to use for *LARGE* text-files?
   Re: LARGE file editing (actually: LARGE here means many MegaBytes)
                     Re: This disk is unreadable...
                     Re: This disk is unreadable...
                          Re: LW FONTS & FONDS
       re: New Mac SE Keyboard Interfacing with Terminal Emulators
                 MAC SE keyboard and terminal emulators
        More on the MAC SE - VAX EDT Keypad Compatability Problem
      need utility-program that extracts/copies a folder-hierarchy
                          Coral Lisp on Mac II
                         MouseCrawl in FullPaint
                         FULL PAINT MOUSE CRAWL
                              Re: FullPaint
                   User Support (Was FullPaint Gripes)
                               SuperPaint
             3rd Party disc caches (other than Turbocharger)
       any programs to manage Email on MAC similar to mainframes?
                           MS Word 3.0 request
                           MicroSoft Word 3.0
                        MacWorld Expo exhibitors

Date: Mon 6 Apr 87 07:16:04-CDT
From: Werner Uhrig  <CMP.WERNER@R20.UTEXAS.EDU>
Subject: how to stop a NOISY terminal emulator program without
Subject: RESETting

imagine the following situation:

it's around 4am and you are using your Mac running your favorite terminal
emulator..... when something hits your communication line causing your
mainframe to send you a seemingly endless string of Control-G  (BELLs).

of course, you've set your Mac's volume to the highest setting, which makes
a sound like an alarm-clock .....

you scramble for the Apple-menu item to turn the sound off - NOPE, your
terminal emulator does not seem to pay attention to the mouse-down event
while it is trying to output a buffer-full (and ever growing) load of BELLs !!

You hit CTRL-.  and CTRL-SHTFT-.  and CTRL-SHFT-OPTION-.  to kill the Switcher
partition in which you are running:  NO DICE.

the cat, the dog, the wife and the kids are fumbling for the exit because of
the SMOKE ALARM .....

NO, you don't want to RESET your MAC and lose all the open files in other
SWITCHER-partitions - besides, you know of the dangers to your hard-disk.

No, you don't want to have your modem hang up and lose the online-session,
in which you were just editing a large file, making some intricate changes.

All you want is for Minny Mac to PIPE DOWN !!!!  and to tell the main-frame
somehow to ignore whatever it thinks gave it cause to sound the alarms .....

typing CONTROL-Cs and CONTROL-Os to the mainframe don't seem to have any
effect .... yeah, well, at 2400baud, a glitch can send a lot of *INVALID*
characters to the mainframe in a hurry !!!  and even though the modem seems
to indicate no spurious SENDing from our end, the mainframe keeps sending
those BELLS!!!!

desperate, you turn off the modem and, thus, hang up!!!  you are already on the
brink of divorce, or worse, getting voted out of your own house by a vote of
ALL IN FAVOR, ONE ABSTENTION (you wouldn't dare vote differently) - who cares
about needing to have this task finished first thing in the morning.....
the BELL keeps ringing ..... you remember the stereo-headphones have a
converter plug to fit the MAC.  stick that one in.  the sound now comes out
of the headphones, not much less noise (you wished you had a headset with
loudness-control)  -  ok, we remove the headphones, leaving just the converter
plug and  SILENCE !!!  will that damage the sound circuits?   who cares when
your life is in danger !!!

MORAL:  well, draw your own.  of course, I probably, overlooked *the OBVIOUS*
        but if Jon (or someone else) cares to point this out, I don't mind
        looking the fool, if, at least, it saves THE REST OF YOU the
        aggravation.  In the meantime, I'm considering installing a hardware
        ON/OFF switch on that speaker !!!!  I think today must be MONDAY @#%$&

PS:  maybe, I should have hit the INTERRUPT button and tried to use a
        SM 0 A9F4
        G 0
     to kill the Switcher session with the terminal emulator ??!!
        well, this is the Monday morning quarterback 2 hours later ...

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 3 Apr 87 15:52:50 CST
From: wmartin@ngp.utexas.edu (Wiley Sanders)
Subject: Fix for bug in Macfortran call to SIZERESOURCE

There is an error in the file "resource.inc" supplied
with MacFortran 2.2. The error is an incorrect value
for the trap code for SIZERESOURCE. The old, incorrect
value is: z'9A550000'. The correct value should be
z'9A590000'. Without this correction, calling SIZERESOURCE
will bomb. Credit goes to Dan Kampmeier, whose source to
McFace gives the correct value of the trap code.
-w

------------------------------

Date: Fri 3 Apr 87 17:57:10-PST
From: Tony Siegman  <SIEGMAN@Sierra.Stanford.EDU>
Subject: Complex Variables in MS Fortran

In Microsoft Fortran the mini-program
         DO 10 K=1,10
         A=CMPLX(1.0,0.0)+K
     10  WRITE (9,*) REAL(A),AIMAG(A)
will compile without errors and produce the output
         2.000  0.000
         3.000  0.000
while the miniprogram
         A0=CMPLX(1.0,0.0)
         DO 10 K=1,10
         A=A0+K
     10  WRITE (9,*) REAL(A),AIMAG(A)
will produce
         2.000  1.000
         3.000  2.000
         4.000  3.000
In both cases the compiler reports that A is real, and the locations of A
and K are four units apart.  I guess you have to be real careful when
specifiying and using complex variables in MS Fortran!

------------------------------

Date: 04 Apr 87  0004 PST
From: Tovar <TVR%CCRMA-F4@SAIL.Stanford.EDU>
Subject: Re: Terminal Emulators and Control Codes [1 line]

Why use <COMMAND> for <CONTROL>?  So you can use <OPTION> for <META>!!

------------------------------

Date: Sun,  5 Apr 87 21:56:38 PST
From: David M. Gelphman         415-854-3300 x2538   DAVEG    at
From: SLACVM
Subject: Re: TextEdit size limitations

<According to IM V-13.2, if txSize >= 0, fields have their old meanings.
<If txSize == -1, edit record has style info.  It doesn't say what
<happens if txSize < 0.  I've heard rumours that the TextEdit from the
<Mac II would appear on the Mac Plus/SE as System patches...
<
< David Dunham     "Whenever you see a sign 'No Exit,' it means
< Maitreya Design   there is an exit."

  I looked up that stuff and I'm not sure why you mentioned it. The field
of interest for this purpose is teLength. The txSize (according to Inside
Mac) is for the font size of the textedit record. Am I missing the point
of your remark?
  An aside here...here I am responding to a message from the Delphi Digests.
For those on bitnet who want to read the delphi and usenet digests it is
possible to fetch those digests from Macserve just like you fetch other
files from the info-mac archives. If you enjoy info-mac I highly recommend
that you regularly read the delphi and usenet digests. In addition to the
discussions confined to those nets, there is a good deal of response to
messages posted to info-mac.
David Gelphman

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 4 Apr 87 01:07 N
From: FRUIN%HLERUL5.BITNET@wiscvm.wisc.edu  (Thomas Fruin)
Subject: Re: which editor to use for *LARGE* text-files?

To combine pieces of HQX files into one big one before BinHexing I've had
to handle some very big text files too.  There are a couple of text editors
worth considering:

o  Consulair Edit works fine on a Mac with *plenty* of memory.  But it handles
   memory shortage very badly and usually just crashes, sometimes even taking
   your disk with you...  And Edit is slow in saving.  But it works.

o  QUED is much more robust, but even though it may *seem* a disk based
   editor (it accesses the disk every once in a while) it insists on keeping
   the whole file in memory.  This can make Cutting and Pasting of large
   pieces of text impossible.

o  Microsoft Word (I'm still using version 1.05) surprisingly turned out the
   best editor of them all for handling very large files.  Word is truely
   disk based, hardly ever gets into problems with memory shortage, and
   manages Cuts and Pastes of very large blocks of text.

For normal use I still favor QUED, but once files get really large I grab
Microsoft Word and let it finish te job.

 Thomas

 FRUIN@HLERUL5.BITNET
 thomas@uvabick.UUCP

 Leiden, Netherlands

------------------------------

Date: Fri 3 Apr 87 18:34:31-CST
From: Werner Uhrig  <CMP.WERNER@R20.UTEXAS.EDU>
Subject: Re: LARGE file editing (actually: LARGE here means many
Subject: MegaBytes)

RE: Do you consider 965K big?

NO, I'm talking files that can not be held in RAM and are larger than
several MegaByte, possibly stored on hard disk or tape, possibly on
dozens of floppies.  Many years ago, I wrote such an animal in
Pascal, and before I go search my old tapes for it and waste time
trying to make it Mac-compatible, I'd rather have a little birdie
tell me:  "Easy, just use ......"

any birdies listening?

------------------------------

Date: Fri 3 Apr 87 16:10:07-CST
From: Werner Uhrig  <CMP.WERNER@R20.UTEXAS.EDU>
Subject: Re: This disk is unreadable...

RE:  An HD20sc just went sour at the computer centre here.
	can anybody tell me what to do, besides reformatting the hard disk?

get MacZAP from MicroAnalyst, which includes a program called Mac Zap Recover.
if that won't do the trick, I don't know anything else that will.

MicroAnalyst can be reached at (512)926-4527 and Les gives *GREAT*

------------------------------

Date: Tue 7 Apr 87 14:26:16-PDT
From: Lance Nakata <K.Kirin@MACBETH.STANFORD.EDU>

> From: FRUIN%HLERUL5.BITNET@wiscvm.wisc.edu (Thomas Fruin)
> Subject: This disk is unreadable...

> An HD20sc just went sour at the computer centre here.  The Macintosh
> Plus it's sitting under won't boot from it and when I start the Mac
> with a floppy (using the latest System 4.0, Finder 5.4) the disk
> initialisation dialog comes up with the message 'This disk is
> unreadable', while displaying the hard disk icon.  Sigh.

Try using Disk First Aid 1.0.1 to fix the hard disk.  DFA was
supposedly shipped with all new Apple hard disks.  If DFA doesn't
work, you can try Mac Zap Recover HFS (from Micro Analyst).  Make sure
the Mac Zap you use is version 4.5 or later.  The HD20SC does not
support file tags, so manual recovery by tag method would be futile.

BTW, Apple recommends using System 3.2/Finder 5.3 for Mac Pluses,
unless you have Appleshare (System 3.3/5.4).  System 4.0/5.4 seems to
work fine on Pluses, but it is more geared for the SE (and presumably
its new ROM chip).  System 4.1/Finder 5.5 probably will ship with the
Mac II and will replace 3.2/5.3.

Good luck.

Lance Nakata            ARPA:   nakata@portia.stanford.edu
                        BITNET: nakata%portia.stanford.edu@stanford.bitnet

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 3 Apr 87 15:15:20 pst
From: Larry Rosenstein <lsr%apple.csnet@RELAY.CS.NET>
Subject: Re: LW FONTS & FONDS

In article <8703221707.AA29841@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU> you write:
>Delphi Mac Digest     Sunday, March 22, 1987         Volume 3 : Issue 18
>
>From: DSACHS
>Subject: RE: LW FONTS & FONDS (Re: Msg 18248)
>Date: 17-MAR 20:16 Creative Pursuits
>
>The tables in the FOND for Laser Fonts are very complicated.  Even IM
>volume 4 does not cover everything.

The LaserWriter Reference Manual from APDA goes into more detail on FOND
resources.

Larry

------------------------------

Date: 3 April 1987, 19:25:47 PST
From: David M. Gelphman         415-854-3300 x2538   DAVEG    at
From: SLACVM
Subject: re: New Mac SE Keyboard Interfacing with Terminal Emulators

There is no surprise that there are serious problems with the new
keyboards due to the way Apple moves stuff around.  Your best bet all
around is to RUN (don't walk) and buy a copy of VersaTerm ($99 list, $79
thru computerware).  It is a much better VT100 emulator than MacTerminal
AND the latest versions available directly from Peripherals, Computers
and Supplies support both of the NEW Apple keyboards AND have large
screen support.  Of course VersaTerm Pro has full color support in the
4105 emulation and is already Mac II compatible. (Nice job again Lonnie)
The PCS phone number is 215 779 0522.
David Gelphman                  BITNET address: DAVEG@SLACVM
Bin #88 SLAC                    ARPANET address:  DAVEG@SLACVM.BITNET
Stanford, Calif. 94305          UUCP address: ...psuvax1!daveg%slacvm.bitnet
415-854-3300 x2538
usual disclaimer #432 applies: my employer apologizes for the fact
that I have access to this net.

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 3 Apr 87 13:25:25 est
From: magill@eniac.seas.upenn.edu (Operations Manager)
Subject: MAC SE keyboard and terminal emulators

>   The new Mac SE keyboard is mapped differently than the old Mac+ keyboard.
>Consequently, it appears (to me at least) that it does not allow the SE to
>be used as a terminal emulator in some capacities.  In particular, the keypad
>section of the keyboard is totally different from the Mac+ keypad.  This makes
>it impossible to use the keypad in editing using the EDT editor on the VAX
>system.
>   Does anyone know of a terminal emulator that corrects this problem?  Is
>Apple working to fix MacTerminal to handle this problem?

I don't know for certain, but I would be inclined to expect that the KERMIT
keyboard configuration program CMKey will do as reasonable a job for the SE
as it did for the MAC+ keyboard. I had no problems reconfiguring my MAC +
Keyboard to look like a Rainbow keyboard. (I have no idea who came up with the
"standard vt100" layout that comes with the "normal" MacKermit distribution.
It is not even close to the Rainbow/VT220 keyboard layout.)

I'm talking about MacKermit here, not KERMIT imbeded inside RedRyder or other
environments.

------------------------------

Date: Fri,  3 Apr 87 15:09:02 PST
Subject: More on the MAC SE - VAX EDT Keypad Compatability Problem
From: CLARKE@BCVAX3.BITNET

This is what I have been able to determine about the Mac SE Keyboard, when
used with the VAX EDT editor.  While I have been using Versaterm,
using Kermit VO.8(34) doesn't solve the problem,
since keyboard assignments can only be made for the KEYBOARD and not the
KEYPAD.

The four cursor keys, which are on the KEYBOARD, do not seem to function at all.
Even in combination with the command, option, shift or control keys.
Command + Delete  deletes and moves back one space.

The SE Keypad is as follows:

Clr  =     /   *
7    8     9   +
4    5     6   -
1    2     3   Ent-
  0        .   er

In combination with the EDT editor on the Vax the keypad keys do the following:

Clr does nothing
=   does nothing
/   does nothing
*   does nothing

7   Jumps to end of file
8   Jumps to end of area (as it should)
9   Removes selected area to paste buffer
+   Does nothing

4   Does nothing
5   Does nothing
6   Removes selected area to paste buffer
-   Calls up help file

1   Moves cursor one word
2   Moves cursor to the end of present line
3   Moves cursor one character

0   Moves cursor to beginning of next line
.   Selects area
Enter  Enters

When the Clear key is used as the "Gold" key in combination with the keypad
keys, the results are:

=   Deletes a selected area, but not to paste buffer
/   Deletes a selected area, but not to a paste buffer
*   Deletes a selected area, but not to paste buffer

7   Brings up command line
8   Nullifies selected area
9   Paste in paste buffer, but only when a range has been selected
+   Nullifies selected area

4   Jumps to end of file
5   Jumps to beginning of file
6   Paste in paste buffer
-   Tries to include help file

1   Moves one character forward
2   Does nothing
3   Prints:

0   Adds new line below cursor
.   Clears select

------------------------------

Date: Fri 3 Apr 87 18:22:39-CST
From: Werner Uhrig  <CMP.WERNER@R20.UTEXAS.EDU>
Subject: need utility-program that extracts/copies a folder-hierarchy

I need a utility which would do the following trick:

recreate on a floppy the identical hierarchy of folders I have on my hard-disk,
minus any data-files of course; just empty folders.  useful?  you bet!

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 4 Apr 87 18:23:34 EST
From: David A. Levitt <levitt@MEDIA-LAB.MEDIA.MIT.EDU>
Subject: Coral Lisp on Mac II

recently got working on the Mac II, and it's impressive.  Chris Fry's
version of the Lisp Machines' "Inspector" -- for browsing nested data
structures by clicking -- is now fast enough to be very useful.  If
Henry Lieberman's "Stepper" runs as fast, this could be a great
environment and product.  (Stepper lets you watch programs run by
seeing lisp code with returned values successively substituted, and
even lets you go run them backwards in most cases.)

The other big Mac II improvement is disk IO.  The internal 20M seems
to be about 3 times faster than the dataframe (I don't know if it's
transfer or seek).  This especially effects the time to load or reload
your Lisp environment after a crash.  This was excruciating on the
Lisp Machines, and got worse when systems or patches had to come over
a network on a shared file system.  Without fast "World load" capability
(which I imagine Coral Lisp will acquire), the current version loads on
a Mac II in 40 seconds or so.

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 3 Apr 87 02:46 CDT
From: BOYD@TAMLSR.BITNET  (Scott T. Boyd)
Subject: MouseCrawl in FullPaint

Was your Caps Lock key down?  If so, that's called Mouse Crawl.  A pretty
neat feature if you know it's there.  :-)

scott
the machax group

------------------------------

Date: Fri 3 Apr 87 21:57:42-PST
From: Doug Brutlag <brutlag@SUMEX-AIM.STANFORD.EDU>
Subject: FULL PAINT MOUSE CRAWL

Nathan Wilson's molasses mouse is better known as Mouse Crawl (Tm)
and is a well documented FullPaint feature (page 49 of the FullPaint
manual).  Mouse Crawl (Tm) can be turned off temporarily by releasing
the CAPS LOCK or turned off completely by unchecking Mouse Crawl from
Preferences in the Goodies menu.

Doug Brutlag

[
and thanks to the hundreds of others who pointed this out.  The general
consensus:  read the manual.
DoD
]

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 3 Apr 87 09:28:44 pst
From: Larry Rosenstein <lsr%apple.csnet@RELAY.CS.NET>
Subject: Re: FullPaint

In article <8704030710.AA19696@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU> you write:

>INFO-MAC Digest           Friday, 3 Apr 1987       Volume 5 : Issue 74
>

>Date: Wed, 1 Apr 87 23:26:40 PST
>From: digiorgi@Jpl-VLSI.ARPA
>Subject: Re: FullPaint
>
>in issue #73, a complaint was made concerning FullPaint and the fact that it
>does not recognize the FPD and 'stepping out' large displays.  The reason it
>doesn't is due to a (probable) three line piece of code: they didn't check
>for screenBits.bounds at the top of the program to get the real size of the
>screen from the system global, they hardwired the screen size into the
>code.

This is probably NOT the reason why FullPaint doesn't take advantage of the
large screen.  I talked to some of the Ann Arbor programmers about a year
ago (at the MacHack Developers Conference), and they know the Mac too well
to have made such a mistake.  (Also, I wrote a demonstration painting
program using MacApp, so I know a little about the internals of such
programs.)

The problem has to do with the internal memory needed by bitmap painting
programs.  At the very least, you need 2 offscreen bitmaps (one for UNDO and
the other for general use).  Certain complicated commands might require
other buffers; plus, to get adequate speed you might want to cache other
bitmaps.  (My recollection is that FullPaint uses 5 or so internal buffers.)

Each of the offscreen bitmaps must be (in general) as large as the maximum
area the user can change at one time.  A full page MacPaint/FullPaint/...
document requires 55K, while a Mac screen size bitmap requires 22K.

Therefore you have to tradeoff between: (1) number of documents open at
once, (2) minimum memory required to run the program, and (3) maximum area
the user can edit at once.  Ann Arbor's decision was to provide a program
that could open 4 documents at once on a 512K machine.

This is not to excuse Ann Arbor from providing support to users; I just
wanted to point out that there are some technical issues that people might
not realize.

Larry

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 3 Apr 1987 23:46 CST
From: a.d. jensen <UD040164@NDSUVM1>
Subject: User Support (Was FullPaint Gripes)

As to the question of support offered by (potential) developers --

The company at which I work is soon to be releasing our first program,
and it was one of my jobs to decide on how we would support our buyers.
A brief summary:

  1) A purchaser _must_ send in his/her registration card
  2) We provide telephone support (basically, me) from 12pm - 6pm M-F
     (You pay for the call)
  3) For updates involving bug fixes, or minor things, we send you a
     copy of the disk.  You then return your original disk to us --
     if you don't do that, its the last free update you get
  4) For major updates, we set some price, you send it in, and you get
     a new disk.

Pretty simple -- any suggestions or comments would be greatly appreciated.

a.d. jensen

<UD040164%NDSUVM1.BITNET@WISCVM.WISC.EDU>

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 03 Apr 87 09:18:39 CDT
From: David Wilson <WILSON/DAVID@scarecrow.waisman.wisc.edu>
Subject: SuperPaint

My first SuperPaint picture with data in both the draw and paint layers
(the draw layer has characters from the symbol font;  the paint layer has
a outline of the keyboard) will not print on our LaserWriter.  SuperPaint
churns away for half an hour and then stops with an error -4100.  Silicon
Beach Software suggested that the problem may have been use of a
LaserWriter driver or LaserPrep file other than version 3.1.  We checked
this possibility (removing all Macs except one from the network, turning
the LaserWriter off and on again, and then printing) and that is not the
problem.  I will be sending them a disc.

------------------------------

Date: 4 Apr 87 17:58:00 EST
From: bouldin@ceee-sed.arpa
Subject: 3rd Party disc caches (other than Turbocharger)

I am searching for a new 3rd party disc cache to replace turbocharger. It
appears that Nevins is no longer supporting turbo and it is now strictly
going on inertia. At least, they no longer have even an answering machine
when you call their number.

Two candidates are Power Cache from the software power company and Ramsnap
from Dove. Anyone know anything about either of these? Also, if I am wrong
about Nevins, I would like to hear about it.

Why not use the control panel cache? Well, turbo has significantly more utility
but it interacts badly with some products. Anyone tried it on an SE or Mac II?

------------------------------

Date: Sat 4 Apr 87 02:06:41-CST
From: Werner Uhrig  <CMP.WERNER@R20.UTEXAS.EDU>
Subject: any programs to manage Email on MAC similar to mainframes?

I receive most of my Email on a TOPS-20 system using MM which provides a
limited set of commands which allows treating a file with a collection
of messages somewhat like a simple database and allows searching, sorting,
keyword indexing, etc.   Does anyone know of any efforts to port these
functions to the Mac?

What I'd like to do is move as many of the utility functions provided by
MM (or similar programs) down to the Mac, so that I could receive,
archive, manage, retrieve, generate replies and new messages on the Mac in
an environment similar to MM (or something a lot better; otherwise, I hate
having to get used to a new mailer - or text-editor, for that matter).
Waiting for a Mac that runs UNIX and uucp is not what I have in mind, BTW

replies to me for summarizing;  let's not clutter up the digest.  thanks.

werner@r20.utexas.edu   (and since April 1, you *HAVE TO* use domains, I guess)

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 3 Apr 87 11:57:34 EST
From: Mark Nodine <mnodine@labs-b.bbn.com>
Subject: MS Word 3.0 request

One more request to add to the list about Microsoft Word 3.0:  It would
make the hyphenation much more automatic (for me, anyway) if there were
another checkbox in the hyphenation window which says not to suggest
hyphenations which will push only one or two characters at the end of a
word onto the next line.  A hyphenation which saves fewer than three
characters on a line is considered bad typographic form.

  Mark

------------------------------

Date: Fri 3 Apr 87 11:36:14-PST
From: John M. Relph <Relph%BIONET@SUMEX-AIM.Stanford.EDU>
Subject: MicroSoft Word 3.0

I recently purchased Microsoft Word 3.0, installed it on my hard disk, and
went to work.  After I worked with it for a while and got the hang of it, I
decided I needed to run in Switcher.  So I ran Switcher and attempted to
install (configure and install) Word.  Every time I got the configuration
box the memory sizes were always screwed up.  I was getting numbers like
1252K minimum memory and 128K maximum.  Then when I attempted to change
these numbers to something a little more reasonable, like 512 Min and 512
max, no screen save, and hit either of the "permanent" or "temporary"
buttons, The machine would crash.  Either a Mac Plus or a Mac SE.  Hard
Crash.  No dialog box.  No Bomb.  Just a thrashed screen showing what was
obviously random memory.  This was under system 4.0, Finder 5.4.  So I call
Microsoft and what do they say?  Yes, Microsoft Word uses its own caching
system that DOES NOT work with the standard Mac caching.  Not only does it
bomb the system, it also corrupts the copies of both Switcher and Word that
are on the offending disk.  Nowhere is it documented that this is the case,
and the Microsoft Tech Support rep told me so.

*flame on*
So I am supposed to sacrifice possible speed increases in all other
programs just so Microsoft can do something non-standard that happens
to increase the apparent speed of their own product?  Either that or
never use switcher, or always pull down the control panel and toggle
the cache state every time I want to use Word (in switcher or not),
and then again every time I Quit Word?  Seems a little unreasonable to
me.  Nice Design "Feature" if you ask me.
*flame off*

Be warned.
  John
John M. Relph
Relph @ BIONET-20.ARPA

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 4 Apr 87 18:22 N
From: Thomas Fruin  FRUIN%HLERUL5.BITNET@wiscvm.wisc.edu
Subject: MacWorld Expo exhibitors

Only 17 days left till the opening of the MacWorld Expo in Rotterdam
in the Netherlands... for those of you who are still hesitating, here
is the latest list of all the exhibitors.

And if you do come - we'd love to meet netfriends.  You can find us
at the booth of the Dutch Mac programmers group, VAMP.

 Thomas

 FRUIN@HLERUL5.BITNET
 thomas@uvabick.UUCP

MacWorld Expo