[net.sf-lovers] Still amazed by Wolfe's FIFTH HEAD OF CERBERUS after 20 readings...

donn@utah-gr.UUCP (Donn Seeley) (06/06/85)

I give up.  After going through the book for the twentieth time or so,
I still have to admit that Gene Wolfe's THE FIFTH HEAD OF CERBERUS is
my favorite work of sf, and very possibly my favorite book, period.  I
have found something new every single time I've read it, which I think
is the greatest and most difficult gift an author can make to a
reader.  On this pass I finally figured out what Number Five's real
name is.  In retrospect I probably should have guessed it sooner, but
that would have taken some of the fun and suspense out of it!  Has
anyone else had this experience?

Awed,

Donn Seeley    University of Utah CS Dept    donn@utah-cs.arpa
40 46' 6"N 111 50' 34"W    (801) 581-5668    decvax!utah-cs!donn

PS -- If you're a Wolfe fan and haven't figured out who Number Five is,
are desperate to know and happen to be going to the Usenix conference,
buttonhole me when you see me there and I'll give you a hint.  I'm also
open to hypotheses about PEACE, NEW SUN and other Wolfe masterpieces...

wfi@rti-sel.UUCP (William Ingogly) (06/07/85)

In article <1475@utah-gr.UUCP> donn@utah-gr.UUCP (Donn Seeley) writes:

>I give up.  After going through the book for the twentieth time or so,
>I still have to admit that Gene Wolfe's THE FIFTH HEAD OF CERBERUS is
>my favorite work of sf, and very possibly my favorite book, period.  I
>have found something new every single time I've read it, which I think
>is the greatest and most difficult gift an author can make to a
>reader.  On this pass I finally figured out what Number Five's real
>name is.  In retrospect I probably should have guessed it sooner, but
>that would have taken some of the fun and suspense out of it!  Has
>anyone else had this experience?

The Fifth Head of Cerberus is also close to being my favorite SF work,
although Lem's Solaris and certain other works by other authors
are also contenders. It's an infinitely rich and rewarding book, but
reading Wolfe is definitely work. You've certainly beat me on the
number of readings; I've read it three times. It's a book I recommend
to anyone I talk to about SF.

Wolfe's short stories are also first-rate; check out The Death of Dr.
Island And Other Stories And Other Stories. Actually, I can't think of
anything he's written that I haven't enjoyed, including the mainstream
novel Peace (at least it appears to be mainstream).

At the risk of starting more flames in the group on quality and SF
(:-), my opinion is that Fifth Head of Cerberus is his best work,
but I've only read the Book of the New Sun once so I haven't really
gotten into it. I'd be interested in hearing from other people in the
group on F. H. of C; does anyone else share our high opinion of this
book?
                                 -- Bill Ingogly

kalash@ucbcad.UUCP (Joe Kalash) (06/10/85)

> At the risk of starting more flames in the group on quality and SF
> (:-), my opinion is that Fifth Head of Cerberus is his best work,

	It is close, but for sheer breadth I like "The Book of the New
Sun" better. They are both absolutely amazing works.

> group on F. H. of C; does anyone else share our high opinion of this
> book?

	While I normally do not make resonses of 'I agree' (I mean what
is the point?), I can not resist. "Fifth Head" is one of the great books
of SF, and I can do no better than quote Anatomy of Wonder:

	"These summaries cannot touch the complexity, meaning
	and sheer beauty of these excellently written stories."

			Joe Kalash
			kalash@berkeley
			ucbvax!kalash