[net.micro.atari8] 130XE Terminal Emulator

djg@usl-pc.UUCP (Darell James Godeaux) (02/14/86)

I was wondering if anyone has any information about a terminal program or an
emulator for the Atari 130XE that will allow me to use 'vi' or any other screen
oriented functions.  (Possibly one that works with Omniview XE)  Any help will
be appreciated.

Darell James Godeaux
Electrical Engineering (Computer Option)
University of Southwestern Louisiana
USL Box 43206
Lafayette, La 70504

langdon@lll-lcc.UUcp (Bruce Langdon) (02/17/86)

In article <169@usl-pc.UUCP>, djg@usl-pc.UUCP (Darell James Godeaux) writes:

> I was wondering if anyone has .. a terminal program or an emulator
> for the Atari 130XE that will allow me to use 'vi' or any other screen
> oriented functions.  (Possibly one that works with Omniview XE)

ACSTERM does all this. It is available to anyone whose mail address
I can use and who has the "Action" language cartridge from OSS.
(I think this compiler/editor is a must for programming these machines.)

Since I posted its availability on the predecessor to this board,
people who asked for it somtimes mention its adaptibility to the
OMNIVIEW 80 column mod. I see this advertised in ANALOG, ANTIC for $70,
and this is very interesting as the lack of 80 columns is my main gripe
with the 8-bit Atari for home use. I can see little difficulty in
adapting ACSTERM to use this. But I would need info on how one writes
to the screen, both thru the usual CIO calls and directly to screen
memory. CDY has been on this board recently. Can he help?

Here is the ACSTERM blurb:

ACSTERM is a terminal emulator for the Atari 800, 800xl, 1200xl, 130xe.
It provides cursor motion, insert, delete, etc. The 'termcap' file tells
UNIX systems how to manipulate your screen. With 'more' and screen editors
like 'vi', this does near the best that can be done with a 40 column screen.
	The tilde and curly brace characters are provided using a redefined
character set; ^M etc. have their usual ascii meanings.
	ACSTERM was written by Clint Parker, author of the Action system.
All sources are in the Action language.
    As downloaded from the bbs he maintained, you must use the Action cartridge.
Here there is also a modification that compiles with the run-time library
to make an executable file that needs no cartridge.

	NB! R-Verter owners: The RHAND1C modem handler converts tilde and
brace characters. Since they provide the source, I deleted those parts.
I also cured occasional glitches it had running full tilt at 9600 baud,
and improved its handling of S/Reset. As that software is copyright, I
can't upload my version. However I am willing to upload a 'diff' file
that shows the changes I made.

	These are the files:
TERM.DOC 	read this
TERMCAP.ACS	get this into your UNIX
TERM.AC0	Compile this file.
TERM1.AC0	these files will
TERM2.ACT	be INCLUDEd
TERM.AC2	My modifications
TERM1.ACT	of TERM, TERM1.
BLKIO.ACT	CIO caller and fast I/O.

I wrote an XMODEM module but never got it integrated into ACSTERM.
    This is an archive made with the UNIX utility 'ar'. Its first line is:
        !<arch>
For some reason the ! causes 'more' to think it's not an ascii file; but
'cat file | more' works, as does vi.
    If you don't have 'ar', split it with a text editor.
	Bruce Langdon  L-472                langdon%lll-lcc@lll-crg.ARPA
	Physics Department                  "langdon#bruce%d"@lll-mfe.ARPA
	Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory
	Livermore, CA 94550                 (415) 422-5444
UUCP: ..{gymble,ihnp4,seismo}!lll-crg!lll-lcc!langdon

wrd@tekigm2.UUCP (Bill Dippert) (02/21/86)

> In article <169@usl-pc.UUCP>, djg@usl-pc.UUCP (Darell James Godeaux) writes:
> >
> > I was wondering if anyone has .. a terminal program or an emulator
> > for the Atari 130XE that will allow me to use 'vi' or any other screen
> > oriented functions.  (Possibly one that works with Omniview XE)

Try also:  Chameleon by Antic magazine (publisher/seller).  It has a termcap
in the instructions which works with version 4.2 BSD of "UNIX".  I have been
using this for sometime without any problems.  The 40 character screen width
is handled by horizontal scrolling which is better than nothing but could
be improved upon.  Omniview does not work with Chameleon, as far as I know.
It will work with any Atari 300 baud modem or any Hayes compatible 300/1200/
2400 baud modem (with 850 interface).

--Bill--