[net.sf-lovers] Getting to Vulcan in a hijacked Klingon ship

bsa@ncoast.UUCP (06/12/85)

Expires:

Quoted from <2121@topaz.ARPA> ["Star Trek III"], by brendan%gigi.DEC@decwrl.ARPA...
+---------------
| > From: lionel%orphan.DEC@decwrl.ARPA  (Steve Lionel)
| > Subject: Star Trek III
| > . . .
| >Also, wouldn't you be a bit nervous taking a Klingon ship right into
| >Federation territory and landing it (!!!) on Vulcan?
|
| 3. Hmmm.  A little tricky.  Possibly they did most of their traveling
|    cloaked (very energy expensive), or maybe there is a special code
|    that can be transmitted saying 'this is a captured ship - let me come
|    home!'.
+---------------

Says the novelization: Uhura is already on Vulcan (thanks to the Vulcan
embassy on Earth; this fuels my belief that Sarek, *not* Kirk, is the
driving force behind The Search For Spock); why not a "queen to queen's
level 1" code?  Or, since (again from the novel) Saavik is in charge of
communications on the requisitioned :-) Bird of Prey, perhaps Spock
taught her a code that will instantly identify Vulcans (like the Vulcan
language :-).

Of course, this is even hairier if you accept the "The Final Reflection"
events, as Harve Bennett apparently did; Vulcan is probably *quite*
familiar with Klingon design. . .

--bsa
--
Brandon Allbery, Unix Consultant -- 6504 Chestnut Road, Independence, OH 44131
decvax!cwruecmp!ncoast!bsa; ncoast!bsa@case.csnet; +1 216 524 1416; 74106,1032