[net.micro.atari8] 800XL - Repair of Keyboards

dssf@ihlpa.UUCP (d s sand) (04/05/86)

This note is in response to the parent article of:

> Subject: Re: quick repair/replacement of 800XL for tax time...
> >From: jackson@TTIDCB.UUCP
> Sender: daemon@ucbvax.BERKELEY.EDU

The original note referred to an 800XL keyboard with
one (or more) non-functioning keys.
The only suggestion posted that I saw said:
	a) buy a new one (they're inexpensive), or
	b) clean the keyboard plug/jack inside the cabinet.
From my experience, the problem might be elsewhere,
and easily repaired (without opening the cabinet).

I purchased two 800XLs about a year ago
(both were manufactured in the summer and fall of '84),
and each had one or more non-functioning keys.
In each case, adjusting the springs inside the
bad keys fixed the problem.
If you open the cabinet and disassemble the keyboard,
you will see that it is really a membrane pad
with individual key-contacts activated by springs
depressed by the full-travel keycap.
The force applied by the spring must be enough
to compress the contact pad, but not too much
so the key doesn't feel too stiff.
The springs probably are correct at time of
manufacture, but weaken with age.
The fix is to "stretch" the spring a little,
so that its rest-length is somewhat longer,
resulting in more force when the key is depressed.

The keyboard membrane assembly seems to be well
protected from internal contamination
such as dirt or dust (but probably not
liquids), although several years of
normal aging might corrode the contacts.
Problems with key spring tension are common,
and likely if one or more isolated keys
don't function.  (However, if several keys
adjacent in a row or column are all bad,
then it might be the plug/jack, since
the keys are sensed by a matrix of contacts.)

Assuming the key spring is at fault,
the fix is roughly as follows:

0. !Don't! disassemble the cabinet.

1. Power up the 800XL (with display,
   but without peripherals or cartridge),
   with the 'option' key depressed
   (or in Basic, enter 'bye') --
   this should give the self-diagnostic menu.

2. Select the keyboard-test option,
   and manually test each key,
   noting which keys don't respond.

3. Turn power off.

4. Remove the keycap* and assembly
   from one of the bad keys.  There
   are several parts (the keycap,
   the spring, and one or two more).
   If you have strong fingers, the keycap
   can be lifted off directly by holding it.
   Otherwise, try to gently pry it loose
   using some sort of tool hooked under the
   keycap edge, preferably with two hooks
   on opposite sides of the cap.  An IC
   extractor will work.  Don't squeeze the
   keycap very hard - it is soft plastic.
   The other parts may come out with the
   keycap, or you may need tweezers for them.
   If you look in the hole where the keycap
   was, you will see the membrane pad at
   the bottom.

5. Power up and enter the keyboard-test
   routine again.

6. Insert a Q-tip (or other soft but stiff
   probe) into the key hole, so it
   touches the plastic membrane pad.
   Press the Q-tip with moderate force -
   about the same pressure you would use
   to depress a normal key.
   The screen should indicate key contact.
   (If not, the problem is elsewhere.)

7. Measure the length of the spring,
   and stretch it enough so that its new length
   at rest is about 1/8" longer
   (do it in small increments - springs
   like this are easy to permanently stretch,
   but very difficult to "unstretch").

8. Reassemble the keycap and parts -
   this can be done with power on -
   the key should now register correctly.
   If not, the spring may need more stretching,
   so repeat steps 4 - 8 on this key.
   (Also, the keycap and other parts might
   be sticking somewhat, and a very small
   amount of lubrication (eg, vaseline)
   might help - but try to avoid this.)

9. Do steps 4 - 8 on each remaining key.

Steps 3 and 5 (power down and up)
are not really necessary if you are
careful - removing the keycaps should
have no affect other than multiple