[net.micro.atari8] Terminal Emulators

njd@laidbak.UUCP (Nicholas J. DiMasi Jr.) (04/04/86)

*** RELINE THIS PLACE WITH YOUR MESS ***

Can anyone tell me how to get a recent version of Kermit for the Atari
XL/XE computers?  A year ago last month, I got "Kermit for the Atari"
(don't have the version # in front of me, sorry) from net.micro.atari,
and it has a couple of problems (immediately locks up my 130XE about
half the time; after drawing the phone #s on the screen, the autodialer
routine CLEARS the screen, then puts the selection-cursor on screen [a
psych. test?]).  I am considering fixing it, but hoping that there is a
more recent version with (at least one of) these problems fixed.  How
well does the VT52 emulator in Kermit [or is there another term. now]
work?

Also, I have seen mention of (what sounds like) a VT100 emulator that
is available on Compuserve.  Is this guy in the public domain?  Can I
get a copy somewhere, or would any of you kind folks mail it to me?

I am currently running an "old" APX version of Chameleon, which will
emulate an ADM3A properly, but the VT52 emulation mode hasn't worked on
any UNIX system I've ever used [AT&T or 4.2BSD], despite deletion of
"am:" from the termcap entry (there wasn't an "am:" in the most recent
case anyway).  (BTW, I hear that ANTIC magazine has a new[?] Chameleon;
can anyone tell me if it emulates better terminals [or the VT52
properly] now?  I like Chameleon's other features, and will miss them
if I abandon it for an emulator that doesn't have them [or attempt to
hack them in, maybe?].)

Bruce Langdon sent me ACSTERM (Thanks again, Bruce), but it seems to
have serious problems with vi, more,...  It could be a termcap problem;
we have had to tweak some termcap entries here, and I haven't tried
Bruce's modified version yet, but I'm still generally disappointed with
all the emulators I've seen (I have recently gotten tired of the ADM3A
I guess...).

I would appreciate any information you folks could give me.  (Mail or
post as you see fit, this group is very 'quiet' anyway...)

										Nick DiMasi
										Lachman Associates, Inc.

wrd@tekigm2.UUCP (Bill Dippert) (04/07/86)

I have been running the next to the last version of the ANTIC magazine's
Chameleon and it works fine with 4.2BSD Unix.  I am not sure what the
diffence is but the currently advertised ANTIC version is up one number
(am not at home, so do not remember what v.xx number it is).  The termcap
that is in the doc. works fine.  I go from an Atari 130XE with either
a 1030 modem (300 baud) or a Hayes compatible modem/850 interface (1200 baud)
combo with no problems.  I am porting to a Tektronix Gould machine (tekigm2).
I think that it is available from ANTIC for $19.95 which is a bargain.
			 --Bill--

langdon@lll-lcc.UUcp (Bruce Langdon) (04/10/86)

In article <745@laidbak.UUCP>, njd@laidbak.UUCP (Nicholas J. DiMasi Jr.) writes:

> ACSTERM ... seems to
> have serious problems with vi, more,...  It could be a termcap problem;
> we have had to tweak some termcap entries here...

That's puzzling. I have used it with vi and more on 4.2 systems at Berkeley
and this Pyramid. It works. Has anyone else info on this?
The only problems I've found have been with R: handlers that meddle with
ASCII ~ { | } etc. characters. I had to change the R-Verter handler
(fortunately they provide the source). No trouble with ACSTERM on
an 850 and Hayes.