[net.sf-lovers] Book

boyajian@akov68.DEC (05/31/85)

> From:	mtgzz!leeper	(Mark Leeper)

> This is one of my pet peeves with some science fiction writers.  Back
> in the days of the Saturday afternoon serials they would give them
> flambouyant names line KING OF THE ROCKET MEN.  This would conjure up
> in kiddees' minds some society of rocket scientists somewhere and some
> super-scientist ruling over it.  Actually it was about one man with a
> rocket suit named Jeff King.  So the "rocket men" are all one man named
> King.  This title promises one sort of story and the film delivers
> something fairly different with the implicit statement "Oh, sorry if
> you misunderstood our title."

Funny you should use this example. I remember being similarly
surprised when I first saw the movie KING OF THE KHYBER RIFLES,
and found out that it was about a member of the Khyber Rifles
named Athelstan King. When I shortly thereafter came across the
book, I noticed that the title was originally KING--OF THE KHYBER
RIFLES, and also appeared as KING, OF THE KHYBER RIFLES. Subtle
differences, true, but the meaning is a little clearer with the
punctuation.

However, I can't see that an author should be held responsible
for inferences you draw from the title. I recall an incident
from when I worked in a library. An elderly gentleman came in to
return Vonnegut's BREAKFAST OF CHAMPIONS, and asked, "Just from
the title, what would you think this book is about?" I replied
that I couldn't answer that fairly, since I already knew what it
was about (even though I hadn't read it). "Wouldn't you think it
was about sports?" he then asked. Seeing the association he was
making, I replied, "I suppose I might." "Well, it's nothing but
a filthy, disgusting piece of trash!" What could I say?

The only problem I have with titles is when the title has no
bearing whatsoever on the story. Take, for example, the latest
Bond movie. What does "A View to a Kill" have to do with the
film at all?

--- jayembee (Jerry Boyajian, DEC, Maynard, MA)

UUCP:	{decvax|ihnp4|allegra|ucbvax|...}
	!decwrl!dec-rhea!dec-akov68!boyajian
ARPA:	boyajian%akov68.DEC@DECWRL.ARPA
   soon to be:
	boyajian%akov68.DEC@DECWRL.COM

kay@warwick.UUCP (Kay Dekker) (06/07/85)

In article <2399@decwrl.UUCP> boyajian@akov68.DEC writes:
>The only problem I have with titles is when the title has no
>bearing whatsoever on the story. Take, for example, the latest
>Bond movie. What does "A View to a Kill" have to do with the
>film at all?

Jerry,
	Haven't seen the film (don't much like Bond movies) so I don't
know the plot, but I reckon that the title is a transformation of a line
in the traditional English fox-hunting (yes, we're still allowed to do
appalling things like fox-hunting over here :-( ) song "D'ye ken John Peel"
"from the view to the kill in the morning."  Is that any help?

							Kay.
--
"In a world without rational structure, even the most bizarre events must
eventually take place."   -- Philip Avalon, "On the Resurrection of Reagan"

			... mcvax!ukc!warwick!flame!kay

pete@stc.UUCP (Peter Kendell) (06/08/85)

	All the Salzman-Brocoli Bond movies have used genuine
	Ian Fleming titles although the stories long ago used
	to have any similarity to the original. I suppose that
	'On Her Majesty's Secret Service' was the last one that
	had much to do with the book.

	I'm open to correction (as always!) but I think that
	'From a View to a Kill' was a short story in the
	'For Your Eyes Only' collection (PAN books in the UK).
	If they follow this principle then there are still
	several spare titles left.

	Anyway, who'd go to a movie with a Duran Duran sound track? :-)

--
	Peter Kendell <pete@stc.UUCP>

	...mcvax!ukc!stc!pete

	"Me? I never said nuffink!"

leeper@mtgzz.UUCP (m.r.leeper) (06/12/85)

 >All the Salzman-Brocoli Bond movies have used genuine  Ian
 >Fleming titles although the stories long ago used to have
 >any similarity to the original.  I suppose that 'On Her
 >Majesty's Secret Service' was the last one that had much to
 >do with the book.

It has been a while since I read the original "Octopussy," but I am
told that the film is actually a sequel to the story.  At one point the
title character thanks Bond for letting her father commit suicide rather
than face dishonor.  The story was about Bond doing that.  I agree with
your statement because that is hardly what I would call "much" but at
this point it is amazing that they are doing it at all.

				Mark Leeper
				...ihnp4!mtgzz!leeper