[net.micro.atari8] DOS 2.5 Modification Question

wrd@tekigm2.UUCP (Bill Dippert) (03/31/86)

Does anyone out in netland know how to modify DOS 2.5 to allow it to see
the additional 128k RAM when you add any of the four 256k RAM expansion
boards to an 800XL or 1200XL?  (I realize that  only one of the boards
will work with the 1200XL, and I do not remember all of the brand names --
CDY, Byte, Newman (?) and ??.)  The point is that I do not like SpartaDOS
or MYDOS and would like to be able to upgrade my 800XL, 1200XL and 130XE
all to 256k with DOS 2.5 compatibility.  By converting them with the latest
board (brand name ???) I can use DOS 2.5, but it will only see 128k RAM,
the other 128k beilng invisible.  Neil Harris or others at Atari, are you
listening?  We would like to be able to upgrade all Ataris to 256k (includ-
ing the 130XE) and have the DOS 2.5 (or DOS 2.6??) see all of the memory.
Also have Atari Writer + see all of the 256k RAM.  Any suggestions from
Atari Corp or from hackerland?

Thanks in advance,
--Bill--

jhs@MITRE-BEDFORD.ARPA (04/03/86)

Is Newman (?) a real vendor or do you mean Newell Industries?  If so, the
board that they sell is the same one that CDY supplies -- CDY does the
software and sells the package bundled.

Also, it is not necessary to modify DOS itself, although it might have
advantages if it knew about the extra buffer space for disk copying etc.
What you really need, though, is driver software to make the memory act like a
ramdisk.  Once you have that (the beauty of the Atari and all well-designed
computer systems), the DOS won't know there's anything funny at all about your
ramdisk, it's just another disk (although a darn fast one!).  With the ramdisk
installed, sector copying is a two-pass operation and is very convenient with
MYDOS or any other DOS:  Copy the source disk to the Ramdisk in one pass, pull
it out and insert the destination disk and copy the Ramdisk to that in the
second pass.

Of related interest is a very simple BASIC/ML program by William W. Tan, a
Berkely CS student, in the January, 1985 ANALOG magazine.  The whole program
is about 7 or 8 numbered BASIC statements (though most of them do a lot of
work!) and a couple of DATA statements full of machine language.  The program
turns the 130XE into a fast sector copier that can be run from BASIC.  It
could easily be modified (on the CDY/Newell board anyway) to use the extra
128K if you needed to do double-density sector copying.

-John Sangster
jhs@mitre-bedford.arpa

hans@umd5.UUCP (04/17/86)

In article <546@tekigm2.UUCP> wrd@tekigm2.UUCP writes:
>Does anyone out in netland know how to modify DOS 2.5 to allow it to see
>the additional 128k RAM when you add any of the four 256k RAM expansion

The CHAOS BBS at 517-371-1106 has much information about memory upgrades
for XLs, XEs, and STs.  This includes instructions on how to do it, and
software to use when you are done. File QXLINFO has abstracts of what is there,
and file QXLDOS25 has instructions on how to set up DOS 2.5 to have two
full size single density ramdisks.

The instructions are about two pages (including about half a page of things
to type into the mini-assembler), and I only have a hard copy, so I would
prefer if you got the stuff directly.

                                 Hans Breitenlohner
                                 University of Maryland
                                 Computer Science Center