[net.micro.atari8] Revision C Basic

KELLEY@EDWARDS-2060.ARPA (05/02/86)

   Hello Atariland,

      Just thought I would pass along some general information about the
Revision C Basic that I have acquired.  For those 800xl owners who are
tired of the bugs in their built-in BASIC there is still hope.  For those
of you (who like me) who don't want to fool around with cartridges there
is a place called B & C Computervisions who sell the ROM IC version for
$10.00 plus shipping and handling.  I just finished installing one of
these magic chips and my computer has been singing Rev. C ever since.
It only takes about 10 minutes to install the chip.  If your not sure
of what revision BASIC you have, just type in the folling line at the
ready prompt
-------

KELLEY@EDWARDS-2060.ARPA (05/02/86)

   Atarians,

    Sorry about the last message but my fingers were typing slower than
I was thinking.  Anyhow like I was saying, by typing in the folling line
at the ready prompt you will know which revision you have.

                    Print Peek(43234)

Match the number that the computer responds with to the list below.

                  Revision A ---> 162
                  Revision B ---> 96
                  Revision C ---> 234

   You can find the ad for Computervisions in ANTIC magazine (just
read the fine print).  Time for installing the chip is about 10
minutes.  It is socketed so anyone can perform this without any
electronic experience.

  I also wanted to thank those of you who helped me out with my
Championship Lode Runner problem. It seems I will have to be more
imaginative with this program.
-------

wrd@tekigm2.UUCP (Bill Dippert) (05/06/86)

In article <12203556304.17.KELLEY@EDWARDS-2060.ARPA>, KELLEY@EDWARDS-2060.ARPA writes:

>    Atarians,
>
>     Sorry about the last message but my fingers were typing slower than
> I was thinking.  Anyhow like I was saying, by typing in the folling line
> at the ready prompt you will know which revision you have.
>
>                     Print Peek(43234)
>
> Match the number that the computer responds with to the list below.
>
>                   Revision A ---> 162
>                   Revision B ---> 96
>                   Revision C ---> 234
>
>    You can find the ad for Computervisions in ANTIC magazine (just
> read the fine print).  Time for installing the chip is about 10
> minutes.  It is socketed so anyone can perform this without any
> electronic experience.

Having just done this myself, there are a few caveats.  The BASIC chip is
static sensitive so do not touch it with your hands.  Use a tool to remove
and insert the IC.

Also:  BASIC XE by OSS gives 108 when you print peek (43234).
I do not know what BASIC XL gives.  (I also wonder who assigns the numbers
so that they are unique?)

				  --Bill--