[net.music] Bauhaus Query

hsut@ecn-ee.UUCP (10/25/84)

           Is anyone a fan of Bauhaus, a group I've never seen
discussed on the net? I have their album "In The Flat Field" and
found it rather interesting. Any info on other albums, classic
cuts, etc. by this group will be greatly appreciated.

                                Bill Hsu
                                pur-ee!hsut

jeff@dciem.UUCP (Jeff Richardson) (10/29/84)

I have four Bauhaus albums.  They are, chronologically, "Mask", "Press The
Eject And Give Me The Tape", "The Sky's Gone Out" and "Burning From The
Inside".  I'm not sure where "In The Flatfield" fits chronologically, but I'm
pretty certain that it was done before "Press The Eject..", since "Press
The Eject..." is a live album and contains a version of the song "In The
Flatfield".  My order of preference of the four albums is the reverse of the
chronological order.  "Burning From The Inside" was my favourite album of
1983, but it represented a fairly substantial change from Bauhaus' earlier
albums.  Much of the rough edges were removed in favour of a more smooth,
refined sound, which may have turned off a lot of their old fans, (though
they probably didn't care about that since they broke up immediately after
the album was recorded) but the album appeals to me because of its large
variety of styles and influences (Pink Floyd, Bowie and Magazine to name a
few) while still allowing some of Bauhaus' earlier style to seep through.
"The Sky's Gone Out" gives some hints of the direction in which they were
heading, but is still more like their earlier albums, which were of a louder,
more hardcore-ish nature with a very noticeable dark streak.  Most of the
good songs on "Mask" are done the same way or better on the live album which,
in my opinion, is about two-thirds good, but is an essential part of my
collection because it contains the classic version of "Bela Lugosi's Dead",
a song which is unmistakably Bauhaus but was apparently heavily influenced
by early Pink Floyd.
--
Jeff Richardson, DCIEM, Toronto  (416) 635-2073
{linus,ihnp4,uw-beaver,floyd}!utcsrgv!dciem!jeff

My favorite piece by them is Dark Entries.  Originally I could only find it
on a single, but I think they have a new album now that is a collection of
some of the odd singles they have done in the past that has it on it. I have
most of their albums and find I like about 50/50 of their stuff.

Keith Doyle
{ucbvax,decvax}!trwrb!cadovax!keithd

strock@fortune.UUCP (Gregory Strockbine) (10/30/84)

In article <2276@pur-ee.UUCP> hsut@ecn-ee.UUCP writes:

>           Is anyone a fan of Bauhaus, a group I've never seen
>discussed on the net? I have their album "In The Flat Field" and
>found it rather interesting. Any info on other albums, classic
>cuts, etc. by this group will be greatly appreciated.

	I like a couple of their songs, "She's in Parties" and
"Bela Lugosi's Dead".

markb@druri.UUCP (10/31/84)

Regarding the great band Bauhaus:

Yes,"Bela Lugosi's Dead" is a must buy.  Great for Halloween.

The "Singles 1981-1983" is a collection of British singles (6 of them).
It is actually a 45 RPM EP, and is also quite good.  The copy I have
is a British import; I do not believe it was released in the US.

Their last album, before breaking up, "Burning from the Inside", really
shows the diversity of the band.  The music ranges from a Joy Division-like
sound to a soft tribute to John Lennon ("Who Killed Mr. Moonlight").

                                        Mark Bryant
                                        druxq!markb

allynh@ucbvax.ARPA (Allyn Hardyck) (10/31/84)

Well, Bauhaus broke up some time last year, the various members either going
solo (David Jay, now David J.), or becoming part of the band Tones On Tail.
Part of the gloom 'n doom genre, their most famous song is probably
"Bela Lugosi's Dead" which they played live in "The Hunger".  The Bowie
influence is not only obvious, it caused them to be wholly written off as hacks
by the British press.  Their last album, "Burning From The Inside", contained
probably their second most famous song, "She's In Parties".  I have only one
of their albums, "The Sky's Gone Out", which is really pretty weird to comment
on at the moment - gotta listen to it a few more times...