[net.micro.atari8] Using the XM301 modem with the 1200XL

appelbau@topaz.RUTGERS.EDU (Marc Appelbaum) (05/31/86)

I was told that inorder to use the XM301 modem with the 1200XL I would
have to midify my 1200XL.  When I spoke to Atari no one was able to
tell me what has to be done. If anybody knows please tell me.
Thanks
Marc
(send reply to address in header)

hans@umd5.UUCP (Hans Breitenlohner) (06/02/86)

In article <5075@topaz.RUTGERS.EDU> appelbau@topaz.RUTGERS.EDU (Marc Appelbaum) writes:

>I was told that inorder to use the XM301 modem with the 1200XL I would
>have to midify my 1200XL.  When I spoke to Atari no one was able to
>tell me what has to be done. If anybody knows please tell me.
>Thanks
>Marc
>(send reply to address in header)

This is from what I read in magazine reviews of the XM301, not from first
hand experience:
   The XM301 gets its power (5 Volts) from the serial bus.  On the 800XL that
is connected directly to the internal power, on the 1200XL there is a resistor
in series.  Apparently that resistor does not allow enough power to pass to
the XM301.  The mod consists of bypassing the resistor.