[net.micro.atari8] XM301+1050=0

kevin@voder.UUCP (The Last Bugfighter) (06/19/86)

   I've owned an Atari XM301 modem for about a month now and it's been working
just fine with my old 810 disk drive, recently I got a brand new 1050 drive
and the XM301 won't work with it!  The problem is in loading the modem soft-
ware.  When you boot the system the drive runs for about 5 seconds then stops
and waits for about 10-15 seconds, then it loads a bit more, then it waits a
bit, and so on...  It took almost 10 minutes to load 1030 EXPRESS! and other
modem programs are just as bad.
   This is a stock Atari 800 with 48k and the revision B OS with a stock XM301
and a stock 1050.  The 1050 otherwise works fine, so I don't suspect it, and
the modem loads fine with my old 810, so I don't suspect the modem but a
combination of the 1050 and the XM301.
  When I told the dealer where I bought the modem from about the problem he
thought I was insane (maybe, but besides the point).  Anyone have any ideas?

---
Kevin Thompson   {ucbvax,pyramid,nsc}!voder!kevin

"It's a sort of threat, you see.  I've never been very good at them
  myself but I'm told they can be very effective."

neil@atari.UUcp (Neil Harris) (06/19/86)

In article <1373@voder.UUCP>, kevin@voder.UUCP (The Last Bugfighter) writes:

>    I've owned an Atari XM301 modem for about a month now and it's been working
> just fine with my old 810 disk drive, recently I got a brand new 1050 drive
> and the XM301 won't work with it!  The problem is in loading the modem soft-
> ware.  When you boot the system the drive runs for about 5 seconds then stops
> and waits for about 10-15 seconds, then it loads a bit more, then it waits a
> bit, and so on...  It took almost 10 minutes to load 1030 EXPRESS! and other
> modem programs are just as bad.
>    This is a stock Atari 800 with 48k and the revision B OS with a stock XM301
> and a stock 1050.  The 1050 otherwise works fine, so I don't suspect it, and
> the modem loads fine with my old 810, so I don't suspect the modem but a
> combination of the 1050 and the XM301.
>   When I told the dealer where I bought the modem from about the problem he
> thought I was insane (maybe, but besides the point).  Anyone have any ideas?

Please call Mark Jansen in Atari Customer Relations IMMEDIATELY.  His number
is 408-745-2004.
--

--->Neil @ Atari

...lll-crg!vecpyr!atari!neil   or ...lll-lcc!vecpyr!atari!neil

BIX: neilharris		CIS: 70007,1135		Delphi: NEILHARRIS
GENIE: nharris		WELL: neidAtara Cgrp& BBS 400%745%5300US Eaad2 Atara Cgrp&         1116 Bgrregas Ave&         Suffqvade$ CA 14006

*I/m(i(:8|h century man but I don't want to die here." -- Ray Davies

billj@rocksvax.FUN (Bill Jeffers) (06/20/86)

The problem you describe could be caused be alignment difference between the
drives (or possibly sensitivity to misalignment). Try making a copy of the
disk preferably from the 810 to the 1050.