[net.micro.atari8] Action and Floating Point

ericg@sco.UUCP (Eric Griswold of QA) (06/18/86)

Is there a floating point "library"
available for Action, that is a
package to allow floating point operations
and hopefully some sane implementation
of type "float" or need I delve into
the Atari OS fp routines and kludge
it?

TIA
Eric Griswold
{ihnp4, amdcad, cithep, microsoft}!sco!ericg

langdon@lll-lcc.UUcp (Bruce Langdon) (06/21/86)

In article <190@sco.UUCP>, ericg@sco.UUCP (Eric Griswold of QA) writes:
> Is there a floating point "library"
> available for Action, that is a
> package to allow floating point operations...

OSS sells the Action Toolkit which has FP access by creating a REAL
data TYPE, and procedures that interface to the ROM. However, each FP
operation must be a procedure call; you can't say y = a*x+b.
FP is Action's weakest area.

There is a LOT of stuff in the Toolkit, for PMG, I/O, sorting....
Even if you don't outright INCLUDE the files in your program, you may
find them as informative as I have.
	Bruce Langdon  L-472                langdon@lll-lcc.ARPA
	Physics Department                  "langdon#bruce%d@lll-mfe.ARPA"
	Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory
	Livermore, CA 94550                 (415) 422-5444
UUCP: ..{ihnp4,qantel,ucdavis,pyramid,styx}!lll-lcc!langdon
                  ..{gymble,seismo}!lll-crg!lll-lcc!langdon

rogerc@orca.UUCP (Roger M. Christal) (06/24/86)

In article <349@lll-lcc.UUcp> langdon@lll-lcc.UUcp (Bruce Langdon) writes:
>OSS sells the Action Toolkit which has FP access by creating a REAL
>data TYPE, and procedures that interface to the ROM. However, each FP
>operation must be a procedure call; you can't say y = a*x+b.
>FP is Action's weakest area.

Well, I personally think there are some areas which are even weaker.
For example, if you have a variable defined as a CARD (unsigned 16-bit
integer) AND that value is larger than 32767, dividing it by any number
greater than 1 will give incorrect results.  Now that's what I call
WEAK (feeble, stupid, etc.) !

  Mugs Away, Mate!
  Roger M. Christal >>=- ..!tektronix!rogerc@orca