[net.sf-lovers] King/bachman redux

boyajian%akov68.DEC@decwrl.ARPA (06/13/85)

From: boyajian%akov68.DEC@decwrl.ARPA  (JERRY BOYAJIAN)

Once more into the breach, dear friends...

> From: ttidca!dewey@topaz.arpa (William Dewey)

> Having just finished the book 'Thinner' by Richard Bachman, I am a
> bit puzzled by the small white wrapper which was around the book
> upon which was printed 'Stephen King writing as Richard Bachman'....
> On the book jacket of 'Thinner' is a picture of
> Richard Bachman which looks nothing like Stephen King, at least not
> the Stephen King in the American Express adds, and the book is
> dedicated 'To my wife, Claudia Inez Bachman' just coincidentally,
> Claudia Bachman took the photo of the author which appears on the
> jacket.

The photo of "the author" was placed on the jacket to throw people
off track. The person in the photo has been revealed to be Richard
A. Manuel, a real estate broker from Minnesota who is a friend of
King's literary agent, Kirby McCauley.

While I'm thinking about it, I want to squelch a rumor about another
King pseudonym. In a recent issue of FANTASY REVIEW, there was a
review of a specialty press book that was a deluxe reprint of a porno
novel from the late 60's by "John Wilson". (I don't have the issue on
hand, so I don't recall the title, and am not sure of the exact by-line)
The review stated that this was, in reality, Stephen King.

	**** THIS IS A HOAX!!!! IT IS NOT TRUE!!!! ****
                       ^^^^           ^^^ ^^^^
The very next issue contained a letter from King's lawyer asking for
a retraction, which was given. The person [ir]responsible for the
"review" admitted that it was a hoax.

And speaking of other pseudonyms and photos, there is a occult novel
that came out from Doubleday some many moons ago called THE KING OF
SATAN'S EYES, by "Geoffrey Marsh". Marsh is really Charles L. Grant,
and the photo of Marsh on the jacket is actually of Grant's father.

--- jayembee (Jerry Boyajian, DEC, Maynard, MA)

UUCP:	{decvax|ihnp4|allegra|ucbvax|...}!decwrl!dec-rhea!dec-akov68!boyajian
ARPA:	boyajian%akov68.DEC@DECWRL.ARPA
   soon to be:
	boyajian%akov68.DEC@DECWRL.COM