[net.micro.atari8] Memory Upgrades for 800

kevin@voder.UUCP (The Last Bugfighter) (08/27/86)

In <5563@topaz.RUTGERS.EDU> appelbau@topaz.RUTGERS.EDU (Marc Appelbaum) writes:
>I have a few questions that are directed at ATARI.
>
>	1) When is the XL/XE 3.5" drive going to be released?
>	2) IS ATARI developing an 8-bit mouse?
>	3) When is the 1200 baud direct connect modem going to be
>           released?
>	4) Is ATARI planning on marketing a 256k and 512k XE??

   Since there has never been any response to this I can only conclude that
Atari is dropping its line of 8-bit computers.  :-(
   That being the case, rather than wait for a 520XE I've been thinking about
upgrading my old 800 with a 512k memory board and was wondering if anyone has
had any experience with these.
   I am aware of 3 different types:  One is the Ramcharger from Magna Systems
(located in New York) available in 256k, 512k and 1M.  There is another company
that has simular products whose name I can't remember (located in California),
although these are rewired 16k memory boards and not custom circuit boards as
with the Ramcharger.  And recently I noticed an add for Canoe Computer Services
which offers their Ramcart which is a 256k, 512k or 1M memory upgrade cart-
ridge which plugs into the cartridge port of any 8-bit Atari, although I doubt
if its Axlon compatible.  Prices run the same at $149.95, $195.95 and $299.95
respectively.
   I would be interested if anyone has one of these memory upgrades or if you
know of someplace that sells them other than direct from the manufacturer.

---
Kevin Thompson   {ucbvax,pyramid,nsc}!voder!kevin

"It's a sort of threat, you see.  I've never been very good at them
  myself but I'm told they can be very effective."