[net.micro.atari16] DEGAS review

pjd@cwruecmp.UUCP (dr. funk) (02/18/86)

Product: DEGAS
Developer: Batteries Included
Address: 17875 Sky Park North, Suite P, Irvine, CA 92714
Phone: (416) 881-9816
Price: Discounted to $23 (MRSP unknown)

Probably everyone has heard of DEGAS by now and there have been
several reviews in magazines. Frankly, it is $23 (or so) well
spent. The human interface is well designed and it appears to be
quite a capable paint program.

Since I am not an artist, I'm not really qualified to comment on
its suitability for art, but the demo pictures are really quite nice.
It IS, however, a good tool for viewgraph preparation. As a frustrated
typographer, it's fun to create a new font with the font editor and
try it out in a graphic design. I was a little disappointed in the
quality of the fonts provided (I am working on a Futura-like font)
and the 8H x 16V fixed character format is a serious restriction.
The magnify feature is good for touching-up large display text.
The EPSON print driver works OK with our Panasonic 1092 with good
results. (Running the dot matrix output through a Xerox copier
tends to integrating the jaggies and reduces "blockiness.")

DEGAS is easy to learn and has a good user's manual. Give this
one 3.5 stars.
--

paul drongowski				decvax!cwruecmp!pjd
case western reserve university		pjd%Case@CSNet-relay

knnngt@ukma.UUCP (Alan Kennington) (02/23/86)

In article <1417@cwruecmp.UUCP> pjd@cwruecmp.UUCP (dr. funk) writes:
>Product: DEGAS
>Probably everyone has heard of DEGAS by now and there have been
>several reviews in magazines. Frankly, it is $23 (or so) well
>spent. The human interface is well designed and it appears to be
>quite a capable paint program.
>
>one 3.5 stars.
>case western reserve university         pjd%Case@CSNet-relay

	It is true that in comparison to a lot of the poorly written stuff
on the market for the ST, Degas is refreshingly usable. (Unlike the revolting
terminal "emulator" I sometimes use.) But in spite of all the good things
said and written about Degas, a perusal of the VDI and AES manuals will reveal
that the author(s) simply made rational use of existing program components.
There seem to me to be few innovations in Degas. The idea of using the left
mouse button to flip between a control window and the worksurface is a very
nice way of doubling the effective screen area. But the actual operations
selectable from the control panel are almost entirely selected from the
repertoire provided in the OS.
	If congratulations are in order for Degas, they are equally appropriate
for the designers of VDI/AES who have written in many Mac-like painting
routines, and even a resource creation and icon editing facility, so that
the design of a control panel is a positive pleasure. If you haven't created
a set of control panels, menus, alerts and dialogs with the development kit
yet, you really should deny yourself the pleasure no more. And all the fuss
over the manuals being slightly difficult to read is beyond my comprehension.
The only really painful thing is trying to use the routines from C with only
one disk drive. And I certainly don't want to find out how to use VDI/AES
from Basic. Any good feeling I might have had towards this "language" have
evaporated as a result of the nasty little 130K patience-tester that Atari
were unwise enough to try to pass off as a Basic interpreter. But I think
Basic will be okay as soon as they get a team of experts to rewrite it.
	Sorry I can't think of anything good to say.
		So long,  Alan Kennington.