[net.micro.atari16] Bami's DMA reply

D-ROGERS@EDWARDS-2060.ARPA (02/26/86)

I couldn't reply direct as you can see below, so here it is for everyone:

>26-Feb-86 08:41:09-PDT,1563;000000000001
>From: Mail Delivery Subsystem <MAILER-DAEMON%case.csnet@CSNET-RELAY.ARPA>
>Subject: Returned mail: User unknown
>
>   ----- Transcript of session follows -----
>550 bami@CASE... User unknown

unless the ST does things a lot different than other computers i've seen
your description to Mike K. was inadaquate.  Direct Memory Access still
requires use of the address and data paths, the advantage is that this may
be done without processor intervention, except bus arbitration, during times
when the CPU is occupied with decoding or executing an instruction.  Unless
the ST has some sort of dual port access a-la-shared memory, the DMA port
represents no gain over direct bus connection.
FIELD@EDWARDS-2060
-------