[net.micro.atari16] Full Screen Editor Rqst

demillo@uwmacc.UUCP (Rob DeMillo) (02/20/86)

I have been looking (for about a month) for a public domain
full screen editor for the ST. I have tried both local
ST groups, and calling BBSs in different parts of the country.

Can anybody (especially the Atari-guy) point me in the right
direction, or is it to early yet for anyone to have designed
a public domain editor? (Something akin to PC-WRITE for the
IBMs would be great...)

Thanks in advance...
--
                           --- Rob DeMillo
                               Madison Academic Computer Center

     "...I suppose you find the concept of a
         robot with an artificial leg amusing?"

                    -- Marvin, the Paranoid Android

gnu@hoptoad.uucp (John Gilmore) (02/22/86)

In article <1981@uwmacc.UUCP>, demillo@uwmacc.UUCP (Rob DeMillo) writes:
> I have been looking (for about a month) for a public domain
> full screen editor for the ST.

Has anybody tried porting GNU Emacs to the ST?  It ought to run fine
in a meg machine, unless the C compiler and environment are too far
off from Unix.  (Of course, you'd need a hard disk to compile it,
since the source is about 8 megs -- and even the executable image
might not fit on a floppy.).
--
John Gilmore  {sun,ptsfa,lll-crg,ihnp4}!hoptoad!gnu   jgilmore@lll-crg.arpa

hr@uicsl.UUCP (02/24/86)

RE:
	> I have been looking (for about a month) for a public domain
	> full screen editor for the ST.
	>>Has anybody tried porting GNU Emacs to the ST?

There is a program called Micro Emacs that has been ported to the Amiga.
I believe it originally ran on the IBM. It may not be too hard to move
it to the Atari.

I think the binary is about 40KB on the Amiga and it does NOT require
a hard disk to compile. There is no Mlisp. Changing key definitions
requires recompiling one of the routines.

Also, someone recently posted a VI like editor to net.sources.
(or was it mod.sources?)
----

	harold ravlin		{ihnp4,pur-ee}!uiucdcs!uicsl!hr

nigel@minster.UUCP (nigel) (02/26/86)

In article <544@hoptoad.uucp> version B 2.10 5/3/83; site minster.UUCP minster!reading!ukc!mcvax!seismo!lll-crg!well!hoptoad!gnu gnu@hoptoad.UUCP writes:
>In article <1981@uwmacc.UUCP>, demillo@uwmacc.UUCP (Rob DeMillo) writes:
>> I have been looking (for about a month) for a public domain
>> full screen editor for the ST.
>
>Has anybody tried porting GNU Emacs to the ST?  It ought to run fine
>in a meg machine, unless the C compiler and environment are too far
>off from Unix.  (Of course, you'd need a hard disk to compile it,
>since the source is about 8 megs -- and even the executable image
>might not fit on a floppy.).

Anything that big isn't worth compiling.

G.DYER@SU-SCORE.ARPA (Landon Dyer) (03/01/86)

Micro-Emacs is available (and has been for quite some time) on the ST.
It comes with the ST Developer's Kit.

-Landon
-------

@ge-crd.ARPA:skip@chenengo (03/02/86)

Date: Sun, 2 Mar 86 08:26:16 PST
From: Skip Montanaro <skip@chenengo.steinmetz>
Posted-Date: Sun, 2 Mar 86 08:26:16 PST
To: info-atari16@su-score.arpa
Subject: Re: Full Screen Editor Rqst (GNU Emacs)

Not only is the GNU Emacs source huge (the tar file distribution is
about 6 Megabytes), but the amount of peripheral information needed to
run it is big. Various important sizes:

Sun 2 executable	>600K (stripped, optimizer off, 470K of
			       that is C, the rest is Lisp and data)
Peripheral stuff	>3.8M (could probably be cut to about 1.5M)

One person here has ported it to his AT&T Unix PC. I still don't know
how he shoehorned it onto that 10M disk, but he did it.

The things that make you want to put it on your favorite box are that
1) it is the best Emacs around,
2) it is currently being actively supported and enhanced by some good
   people,
3) it is being ported to lots of different environments (I am aware of
   attempts to move it to IBM/370 Unix, the Cray-2, VAX/VMS, and a wide
   variety of System V and 4bsd boxes, and
4) it's free.

When large enough hard disks become available (20 to 40M) for the ST,
it will probably make sense to port it to the ST.

==========
Skip Montanaro
ARPA: montanaro@ge-crd.arpa
US Mail: General Electric Company
	 Corporate Research and Development
	 P.O. Box 8
	 Bldg KW, Room C210
	 Schenectady, NY 12304
==========

rh@glasgow.glasgow.UUCP (ray herman) (03/03/86)

> RE:
> 	> I have been looking (for about a month) for a public domain
> 	> full screen editor for the ST.
> 	>>Has anybody tried porting GNU Emacs to the ST?
>
> There is a program called Micro Emacs that has been ported to the Amiga.
> I believe it originally ran on the IBM. It may not be too hard to move
> it to the Atari.
>
> I think the binary is about 40KB on the Amiga and it does NOT require
> a hard disk to compile. There is no Mlisp. Changing key definitions
> requires recompiling one of the routines.
>
> Also, someone recently posted a VI like editor to net.sources.
> (or was it mod.sources?)
> ----
>
> 	harold ravlin		{ihnp4,pur-ee}!uiucdcs!uicsl!hr

  MicroEMACS was supplied to me by Atari(UK) with the developement ki
It is about 28k object code plus 128k documentation.
I much prefer '1st Word' the word processor distributed in lieu of
Gemwrite.

      ray herman @ glasgow

demillo@uwmacc.UUCP (Rob DeMillo) (03/03/86)

> Micro-Emacs is available (and has been for quite some time) on the ST.
> It comes with the ST Developer's Kit.
>

> -Landon
> -------

Did the phrase "public domain" slip by you...?

(Sorry, I can't bring myself to shell out $300 for the developer's kit...)