[net.sf-lovers] the purpose of fiction

reiher@UCLA-LOCUS.ARPA (06/16/85)

From: Peter Reiher <reiher@UCLA-LOCUS.ARPA>

>I think that the one and
>only, sole reason for fiction's existence is to bring about that
>immersion in the shared dream.

I disagree strongly with this statement.  I enjoy novels which work on many
other levels, and I hope others do, too.  Mr. Martin spoke of a concensus
among many of the viewpoints appearing in this forum.  I wonder if the other
participants accept this characterization as part of that consensus?  I will
not respond in detail to the remainder of Mr. Martin's response, but will
simply say that I do not agree with him on most points he raised.
        			Peter Reiher
        			reiher@ucla-cs.arpa
				soon to be reiher@LOCUS.UCLA.EDU
        			{...ihnp4,ucbvax,sdcrdcf}!ucla-cs!reiher