[net.micro.atari16] Gemdos Tools and Paths

sjl@amdahl.UUCP (Steve Langdon) (03/05/86)

In article <312@drivax.UUCP> braun@drivax.UUCP (Karl Braun) writes:

> You are absolutely right.  This is a major pain.  What's the point in having
> an organized directory if your tools can't make use of it?  We are attempting
> to get the compiler/linker/etc programs either fixed or changed so that they
> accomodate hierarchical directories.

You might want to try a simple short term fix for this type of problem that
is available on the Mac.  Andy Hertzfeld wrote a patch to the open routine
that searches all directories if it cannot find the file in the current
directory.  This allows many pre-HFS programs to work with the new Mac ROMs.
I do not know if this kind of patch is as easy on the ST as it is on the MAC,
but it might be worth a try.
--
Stephen J. Langdon                  ...!{ihnp4,cbosgd,hplabs,sun}!amdahl!sjl

[ The article above is not an official statement from any organization
  in the known universe. ]

braun@drivax.UUCP (Karl Braun) (03/08/86)

# (concerning the inability of TOS/GEMDOS to have a search path)

>You might want to try a simple short term fix for this type of problem that
>is available on the Mac.  Andy Hertzfeld wrote a patch to the open routine
>that searches all directories if it cannot find the file in the current
>directory.  This allows many pre-HFS programs to work with the new Mac ROMs.
>I do not know if this kind of patch is as easy on the ST as it is on the MAC,
>but it might be worth a try.
>--
>Stephen J. Langdon                  ...!{ihnp4,cbosgd,hplabs,sun}!amdahl!sjl
>
>[ The article above is not an official statement from any organization
>  in the known universe. ]

Be carefule here.  I'm not sure about TOS, but GEMDOS has this misfeature
that keeps a an FCB-like data structure in memory for every directory node
visited so far.  The original intent here was to speed up future references
to files in that directories subtree.  The patch you recommend will eat up
a lot of TPA space very fast!  (Is this true for TOS, Landon?)

--

			  kral
amdahl!------- /