[net.micro.atari16] Comparing hard disks

wvucenic@well.UUCP (Wayne Vucenic) (03/09/86)

I'm interested in the 20Meg Atari hard disk.  I had heard rumors to
the effect that the developers hard disks have a faster data transfer rate
than the soon-to-be-available commercial 20Meg Atari hard disks.  I asked
about this at my local dealer, but the fellow there told me that the
only differences were cosmetic: metal case vs. plastic case.  I'm not sure
he's got the straight story on data transfer rates, as he was quoting
10Mbits/sec to me.  I realize that the DMA controller can transfer at that
speed, but I had heard that the hard disk controllers were actually
running at 7.5Mbits or 5Mbits.
   I was wondering if anyone had the straight story on the differences
between the developers and commercial hard disks.  The two topics of
particular interest to me are:

	1) Performance: data transfer rates, access times, etc.
	2) Fan noise.  I seem to be overly sensitive to noise.  (I REALLY
		like the fact that my ST doesn't have a fan, but the hum
		(60 cycle, it sounds like) from my monochrome monitor
		begins to bug me at times.  My color monitor is silent.
		Anyone else have a noisy mono monitor, or is it just mine?)
		Anyway, back to hard disks... the developers hard disk I
		looked at had a fan that seemed to be about average for
		fan noise.)

Other differences of more minor interest would include requirements for
parking the heads.  I understand that the developer's hard disk requires
this, but I can't imagine that a commercial version would.

Can anyone at Atari or elsewhere shed some light on this?  Thanks.

Wayne Vucenic
...{ucbvax, ihnp4, allegra, decvax}!hplabs!well!wvucenic

nigel@minster.UUCP (03/14/86)

In article <743@well.UUCP> wvucenic@well.UUCP writes:
>I'm interested in the 20Meg Atari hard disk.  I had heard rumors to
>the effect that the developers hard disks have a faster data transfer rate
>than the soon-to-be-available commercial 20Meg Atari hard disks.  I asked
>about this at my local dealer, but the fellow there told me that the
>only differences were cosmetic: metal case vs. plastic case.  I'm not sure
>he's got the straight story on data transfer rates, as he was quoting
>10Mbits/sec to me.  I realize that the DMA controller can transfer at that
>speed, but I had heard that the hard disk controllers were actually
>running at 7.5Mbits or 5Mbits.
The developers drives have two boards in - a standard hard drive controller,
and a bus convertor board. I was told around Christmas time that before
selling commercially, Atari wanted to get this onto one board, and into a
plastic case, so your dealer is on the right lines. 5MBits is the quoted
rate for the drive, but some timings I made using an analyser (very rough)
suggested the acknowledges were closer to 7MBits. If Atari wish to use a
single board, then the new board may be faster. The developer setup looks like
a standard SASI board, with a SASI to Atari convertor (one PAL, about 6 TTL).

>		Anyway, back to hard disks... the developers hard disk I
>		looked at had a fan that seemed to be about average for
>		fan noise.)

Yes - average, fine by me.

>Other differences of more minor interest would include requirements for
>parking the heads.  I understand that the developer's hard disk requires
>this, but I can't imagine that a commercial version would.

There is a utility to move the heads to a safe landing point (!) for
transport. The importance is not heavily stressed, just suggested.

Nigel Roles