[net.micro.atari16] need help: Unix -> ST file transfer

freed@aum.UUCP (Erik Freed) (03/17/86)

I know that it has been discussed a lot but because I just recently
got a 1040 and because I want to know what the *best* way is, could
someone fill me in on the following:

1) The best way to get software from a SysV unisoft machine to
   a ST
2) The best terminal emulator program (price *is* an object)

I have the developers kit on order. I do not have kermit on the Unix box.
I do not have xmodem on the Unix box. I am interested in the cheap and
easy way to get all the software I have stored from the net on to my new
toy. Thanks in advance.

                           Erik James Freed
			   Aurora Systems
			   San Francisco, CA
			   {dual,ptsfa}!aum!freed

rodrique@hplabs.UUCP (Mike Rodriquez) (03/18/86)

> 1) The best way to get software from a SysV unisoft machine to
>    a ST
>
> I have the developers kit on order. I do not have kermit on the Unix box.
> I do not have xmodem on the Unix box. I am interested in the cheap and
  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
You might, if you have not already done so, check that xmodem
is called umodem, as it is under BSD4.2.
Mike

rosalia@reed.UUCP (Mark Galassi) (03/22/86)

In article <2147@hplabs.UUCP> rodrique@hplabs.UUCP (Mike Rodriquez) writes:

>You might, if you have not already done so, check that xmodem
>is called umodem, as it is under BSD4.2.
>Mike

What on earth are you saying?

1. There is no "standard" xmodem utility on 4.2.

2. I have about 4 different xmodem utilities running on 4.2 on our
   VAX, and only 1 of them is called "umodem". The names of the others
   all can be traced to "xmodem" in their spelling.

3. The truth then is the following:
	On your machine someone has installed "umodem", a utility which
	provides xmodem file transfer (with a couple of goodies). On
	other machines this may not be the case: on another (4.2) system
	it may be called "xmodrec" and "xmodtran", or "sb" and "rb"...

4. For file transfer with the ST I find that "xmodrec" and "xmodtran"
   (posted to the net a while ago) work fine with "sttalk". I could send
   the programs to anyone who asks.
--

					Mark Galassi
				...!tektronix!reed!rosalia

{ these opinions are mine and should be everybody else's :-) }