[net.micro.atari16] --- Active Windows NOT on top???

nep.pgelhausen@AMES-VMSB.ARPA (03/28/86)

A message recently contained a question about scrolling windows; a reply
concerning how to do so in an active window (hence on top); and a final
plea asking "But what if the window *isn't* on top?".

As far as I know, if the window is not on top, it is not active, thus
you need not be concerned with scrolling it.

What sort of situation do you have where you require scrolling for an
inactive window?

			-Richard Hartman
			nep.pgelhausen@ames-vmsb
------

tim@ism780c.UUCP (Tim Smith) (03/28/86)

In article <8603280155.AA04187@ucbvax.berkeley.edu> nep.pgelhausen@ames-vmsb.ARPA writes:

>As far as I know, if the window is not on top, it is not active, thus
>you need not be concerned with scrolling it.
>
>What sort of situation do you have where you require scrolling for an
>inactive window?

How about a windowing terminal emulator?  You would have several windows
on the ST, and a protocol for multiplexing several logical connections
over one serial line.  On the host, you have a driver for multiplexing
the output of several processes onto one line.

In this situation, it would be easy to want to have output in several
windows at once.

Or how about a terminal emulator with a built in editor?  It would be nice
if I could edit some text in one window, and then tell the terminal
emulator to send it.  While I am doing this, I would still want to see
any stuff that comes in from the host, even though that window would
not be on top.
--

Tim Smith       sdcrdcf!ism780c!tim || ima!ism780!tim || ihnp4!cithep!tim

jamesp@tekla.UUCP (03/29/86)

It's called "rear-window defrosting," and is not trivial.