[net.micro.atari16] macintosh software on the atari 520/1040ST

CON.REILLY@SU-GSB-HOW.ARPA (Brian Reilly) (03/31/86)

Does anyone know any more about the company which has developed a
cartridge that plugs into the ST, allowing it to run Macintosh software?
There was a small item on this in the March 30th San Jose Mercury computer
section and someone told me that the product works successfully with
MacWrite and MacPaint.  However the obstacle facing mass production is
the approval of Apple, which seems to be necessary in order for this
company to distribute their product with the Macintosh ROMs.  Wouldn't
it be possible for them to sell the cartridge without the ROMs and let
the buyer purchase and install them?  I have also heard that there
will be a demo of this cartridge (MacCartridge?) at the West Coast
Computer Faire.  Anyone know about that?

- Brian Reilly
-------

tim@ism780c.UUCP (Tim Smith) (04/01/86)

> However the obstacle facing mass production is the approval of
> Apple, which seems to be necessary in order for this company to
> distribute their product with the Macintosh ROMs.  Wouldn't it be
> possible for them to sell the cartridge without the ROMs and let
> the buyer purchase and install them?

Yes, they could sell the cartridge without the ROMs, but where is
the purchaser going to buy them?
--

Tim Smith       sdcrdcf!ism780c!tim || ima!ism780!tim || ihnp4!cithep!tim

nep.pgelhausen@AMES-VMSB.ARPA (04/03/86)

Could the person who originally posted this notice please re-cite his source
(includeing page number)?  I checked the Merc for Sunday the 30th (which is
where I thought he said the article appeared) and found nothing of this sort.
I still have the Sunday Mercury News, and other issues could be found at a
local library if needed.  I would like to read the original article.

            -Richard Hartman
            nep.pgelhausen"ames-vmsb
------

holloway@drivax.UUCP (Bruce Holloway) (04/03/86)

In article <1297@ism780c.UUCP> tim@ism780c.UUCP (Tim Smith) writes:
>> However the obstacle facing mass production is the approval of
>> Apple, which seems to be necessary in order for this company to
>> distribute their product with the Macintosh ROMs.  Wouldn't it be
>> possible for them to sell the cartridge without the ROMs and let
>> the buyer purchase and install them?
>
>Yes, they could sell the cartridge without the ROMs, but where is
>the purchaser going to buy them?

Go to Macintosh dealers. Tell them you want to buy the ROMs. They'll sell
them to you. But Apple may start requiring dealers to ask for serial numbers,
so you'd have to know someone with a Mac to get them.

|Whatever I write are not the opinions or policies of Digital Research, Inc.,|
|and probably won't be in the foreseeable future.                            |

Bruce Holloway

....!ucbvax!hplabs!amdahl!drivax!holloway
(I'm not THAT Bruce Holloway, I'm the other one.)

turner@imagen.UUCP (D'arc Angel) (04/04/86)

> Does anyone know any more about the company which has developed a
> cartridge that plugs into the ST, allowing it to run Macintosh software?
>
> - Brian Reilly
> -------

yes, i just used it at the West Coast Computer Faire, it was done by
David Small and was running MacPaint on the ST when i saw it. David
admitted that there were still some problems with it (minor ones)
and that he had only tried it with three Mac programs. Since it uses
ST drives, it can not run disk protected software since the programs
have to be copied to a ST disk to be run. MacPaint looks so much
nicer on a ST and runs about 20% faster because of the improved
screen access. The bad news is that David feels that he must market
it thru Apple (for legal reasons ), if Apple turns him down then he
will drop the whole thing into the trash icon. Perhaps if we all
wrote Apple and told them that we would buy the cartridge then they
might be moved. Hey, i worked for tinkerbell didnt it (:-) ? David
didnt announce a selling price but a good guess would be about
$400-600, (figure cost of roms, dave's profit, Apple's royalities
etc.) I am serious about writing Apple, I think all of Dave's hard
work should be rewarded.
--
----
	The master is not yet married, nor do I think he ever will be.

Name:	James Turner
Mail:	Imagen Corp. 2650 San Tomas Expressway, P.O. Box 58101
        Santa Clara, CA 95052-8101
AT&T:	(408) 986-9400
UUCP:	...{decvax,ucbvax}!decwrl!imagen!turner
CompuServe: 76327,1575

tim@ism780c.UUCP (Tim Smith) (04/09/86)

In article <373@drivax.UUCP> holloway@drivax.UUCP (Bruce Holloway) writes:

>> Yes, they could sell the cartridge without the ROMs, but where is
>> the purchaser going to buy them?
>>
> Go to Macintosh dealers.  Tell them you want to buy the ROMs.
> They'll sell them to you.  But Apple may start requiring dealers
> to ask for serial numbers, so you'd have to know someone with a
> Mac to get them.

Considering how upset Apple got when GEM looked too much like the Mac,
I don't think that they are likely to want their dealers to sell the
ROMs, and I don't think that any dealer who sells ROMs will be a
dealer for long.  I would expect them to start requiring dealers to
only sell complete Mac logic boards, and only when someone brings in
a complete Mac logic board, or has a very good excuse why he can't.

This of course doesn't mean that this product will never come to
market.  It just means that if you want it, you should buy it as
soon as possible, and get your ROMs while you can.
--
Tim Smith       sdcrdcf!ism780c!tim || ima!ism780!tim || ihnp4!cithep!tim