[net.micro.atari16] Using the ST as a VAX terminal

taylor.XRCC-NS@XEROX.COM (04/03/86)

<>

Sorry if this has already been discussed, but does  anyone have
experience using the ST as a terminal to a VAX? I am thinking about
getting a 520ST to plug into a 9600 baud line to a VAX 750.  Is the VT52
emulator included with the ST useful for this application?  Are there
VT100 emulators available for the ST?  Is there anything to watch out
for when wiring the RS232 port?  Any help greatly appreciated.

andre@eneevax.UUCP (04/07/86)

You may want to look at AnsiGraf, by Grafikon, Inc.
I have been using it for awhile and it seems to be very complete.
Persons to contact are gyuri@cvl.umd.edu and ravi@eneevax.umd.edu
--
ARPA:   andre@eneevax.umd.edu
UUCP:   [seismo,allegra]!umcp-cs!eneevax!andre

franco@iuvax.UUCP (04/08/86)

I use my ST as a dialup terminal for a VAX 11/780.  The VT52 emulator is
not too bad once you have the proper termcap.

jeb6589@RITVAXA.BITNET (Jim Berg) (04/09/86)

     I have used the ST as a terminal to a VAX/VMS system and a VAX/UNIX
4.2bsd system.  Seems to work nice on the bsd system, but I can't find anyway
to put the keypad into application mode to use with EDT on the VMS system.
Also on the VMS system the built-in emulator doesn't answer dec's set term/inq
command, so you must explicitly set the terminal to a vt52.
     Same is true for ST-Talk, another problem(?) with ST-Talk is due to the
information lines the useable screen length is only 21 lines.  It does however
answer the terminal inquire correctly.
     There have been a couple terminal programs posted to net.sources and/or
mod.sources for the ST, but I have no experience with them.
     If anyone knows how to put the keypad into app. mode PLEASE tell me!
                                Jim Berg

In article <860403-131052-1617@Xerox> taylor.XRCC-NS@Xerox.COM writes:

>Sorry if this has already been discussed, but does  anyone have
>experience using the ST as a terminal to a VAX? I am thinking about
>getting a 520ST to plug into a 9600 baud line to a VAX 750.  Is the VT52
>emulator included with the ST useful for this application?  Are there
>VT100 emulators available for the ST?  Is there anything to watch out
>for when wiring the RS232 port?  Any help greatly appreciated.

The ST works nicely as a terminal on a VAX, at least under unix.  There is,
however, a bug in the VT52 emulator in handling cursor movement in column 80.
This makes a screen editor like vi get horribly confused when you are trying to
edit files which contain some lines of exactly 80 characters.  I would expect
that the VMS screen editors would evoke the same problem.

I guess you could make up a special '520st' termcap entry, but neither the
stock vt52 or H19 entries work correctly.

There are also some adjustments in the monochrome monitor you or your friendly
local TV repairman can twiddle to adjust the size of the displayed screen.
However, they are compromise adjustments - if you expand the screen to the
full monitor size, you will start to see some pin cushion effect, see the
scan lines, and minor focus differencs from center to corner.  On the other
hand, you get a more readable text display.

A simple 3-wire connection using pins 2,3, and 7 seems to work nicely, and
9600 baud is no problem...

--
George Robbins - now working with,	uucp: {ihnp4|seismo|caip}!cbmvax!grr

turner@imagen.UUCP (D'arc Angel) (04/10/86)

>      I have used the ST as a terminal to a VAX/VMS system and a VAX/UNIX
> 4.2bsd system.  Seems to work nice on the bsd system, but I can't find anyway
> to put the keypad into application mode to use with EDT on the VMS system.
> Also on the VMS system the built-in emulator doesn't answer dec's set term/inq
> command, so you must explicitly set the terminal to a vt52.
>      Same is true for ST-Talk, another problem(?) with ST-Talk is due to the
> information lines the useable screen length is only 21 lines.  It does however
> answer the terminal inquire correctly.
>      If anyone knows how to put the keypad into app. mode PLEASE tell me!
>                                 Jim Berg

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~\ lineater, \~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

i can't be done, the code was never put into the vt52 emulator, i
recommend PC/INTERCOMM VERY highly, its well work the money and does
everything i need done for communications/vt100 emulation
--
----
	"If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes"

Name:	James M. Turner (not the James M. Turner at Lisp Machine Inc.)
Mail:	Imagen Corp. 2650 San Tomas Expressway, P.O. Box 58101
        Santa Clara, CA 95052-8101
AT&T:	(408) 986-9400
UUCP:	...{decvax,ucbvax}!decwrl!imagen!turner
CompuServe: 76327,1575