[net.micro.atari16] Graphics escapes in ROM VT52?

apratt@isrnix.UUCP (Allan Pratt) (04/17/86)

I read in a recent posting about The Club that there were escape codes you
could send to the built-in VT52 emulator to get graphics on the ST.  I already
figured out the foreground/background codes, but are there more?  The poster
said he'd started referring to the emulator as an ST52.  Can anybody post
a list of escape codes on the ST52?  If this is included with the Developer's
Kit, could somebody like Landon Dyer post it, so we know it's not proprietary?

By the way, I called the number given for The Club II, and got a human who
knew nothing about it.  The number I called was (313) 334-8877. Did I get it
wrong?

Thanks all..

					-- Allan Pratt
				...ihnp4!inuxc!iubugs!isrnix!apratt

franklin@ut-sally.UUCP (Maurice T. Franklin) (04/21/86)

In article <736@isrnix.UUCP> apratt@isrnix.UUCP (Allan Pratt) writes:
>I read in a recent posting about The Club that there were escape codes you
>could send to the built-in VT52 emulator to get graphics on the ST.  I already
>figured out the foreground/background codes, but are there more?  The poster
>said he'd started referring to the emulator as an ST52.  Can anybody post
>a list of escape codes on the ST52?  If this is included with the Developer's
>Kit, could somebody like Landon Dyer post it, so we know it's not proprietary?
>Thanks all..
>					-- Allan Pratt

I too would like to see a list of the escape sequences for the ST's VT52
emulator (aka ST52).  It may not be exactly a VT52, but it may have a lot
of advantages over a straight VT52 after all (color graphics?!).
I might mention that I found out about these escape sequences accidentily.
I log on to a Unix VAX that has an imperfect command completion shell.  Once
in a while, when I hit the Esc key to get command completion, I also have my
background/foreground/cursor colors change.  The only way I can fix it is
to reboot.  Anybody else had this or similar problems?

				Maurice T. Franklin
        			CS Dept University of Texas at Austin
UUCP:    			{ihnp4,seismo,harvard,gatech}!ut-sally!franklin
ARPA Internet and CSNET:    	franklin@sally.utexas.edu

[Disclaimer: The University of Texas at Austin, the Computer Science Dept, nor
just about anybody else, is to be held responsible for what I say here.]

In article <736@isrnix.UUCP> apratt@isrnix.UUCP (Allan Pratt) writes:
>I read in a recent posting about The Club that there were escape codes you
>could send to the built-in VT52 emulator to get graphics on the ST.  I already
>figured out the foreground/background codes, but are there more?  The poster
>said he'd started referring to the emulator as an ST52.  Can anybody post
>a list of escape codes on the ST52?  If this is included with the Developer's
>Kit, could somebody like Landon Dyer post it, so we know it's not proprietary?
>
>	-- Allan Pratt 	...ihnp4!inuxc!iubugs!isrnix!apratt

The Abacus Atari ST Internals book lists the following codes:

ESC A -	Cursor UP
ESC B -	Cursor Down
ESC C -	Cursor Right
ESC D - Cursor Left
ESC E -	Clear/Home
ESC H -	Cursor Home
ESC I -	Reverse Line Feed
ESC J -	Clear to End of Screen
ESC K -	Clear to End of Line
ESC L -	Insert Line (really H19 - not implemented on VT52)
ESC M -	Delete Line           "              "
ESC Y -	Direct Cursor Addressing

I'm not sure which of the following are from the VT52, which are from the H19
and which are out of the blue...

ESC b -	Select Character Color
ESC c -	Select Background Color
ESC d - Clear Screen to Cursor position
ESC e -	Enable Cursor
ESC f -	Disable Cursor
ESC j - Save cursor position
ESC k -	Restore Cursor Position
ESC l -	Clear Line
ESC o - Clear Line to Cursor position
ESC p - Set Reverse Video Mode
ESC q -	Reset Reverse Video Mode
ESC v - Enable Auto Line Feed (power up default - opposite of VT52!)
ESC w -	Disable Auto Line Feed

The following are not mentioned, and don't seem to work, but are standard
VT52 fare:

ESC F -	Select Graphics Character Set (for line drawing, etc)
ESC G - Select Ascii Character Set
ESC = - Select Keypad Applications mode (keypad sends escape sequences)
ESC > -	Select Ascii Keypad Mode
ESC [ - Enable Hold Screen Mode (a turkey for sure...)
ESC / - Disable Hold Screen Mode
ESC Z - Identify Terminal Type
..... -	A few others for printer control (pretty rare option on VT52's)

As has been pointed out before, there is no emulation of the arrow keys and
functions keys on the VT52 keypad, keypad applications mode isn't implemented,
and the default setting of Auto Line feed is backwards.  Since this code
has been burned into the ROM's, it isn't likely to be corrected.

If you want more complete terminal emulation, you will have to get one of
the third party terminal emulators.  Since the keyboard is derived from the
DEC VT220 layout, a VT100 emulator shoud have fewer strange key mappings.

Somebody just posted a rumor about a cartridge providing BLIT terminal
emulation - now that *would* be fun - maybe there's a tie-in to the story
about AT&T buying ST's for use as terminals...  Anybody got any facts?
--
George Robbins - now working with,	uucp: {ihnp4|seismo|caip}!cbmvax!grr

dyer@atari.UUcp (Landon Dyer) (04/22/86)

In article <736@isrnix.UUCP>, apratt@isrnix.UUCP (Allan Pratt) writes:
> I read in a recent posting about The Club that there were escape codes you
> could send to the built-in VT52 emulator to get graphics on the ST. I already
> figured out the foreground/background codes, but are there more?  The poster
> said he'd started referring to the emulator as an ST52.  Can anybody post
> a list of escape codes on the ST52?  If this is included with the Developer's
> Kit, could somebody post it, so we know it's not proprietary?

Here are the ST's VT-52 (ok, ST52) emulator escapes.  Feel free to
give it to anybody.

ESC A	cursor up, no effect at top of screen
ESC B	cursor down, no effect at bottom of screen
ESC C	cursor forward, no effect in rightmost column
ESC D	cursor backward, no effect in leftmost column
ESC E	clear screen, home cursor
ESC H	home cursor
ESC I	reverse line-feed (reverse scroll at top of screen)
ESC J	erase to end of screen
ESC K	erase to end of line
ESC L	insert line (current line moves down, cursor positioned at
 	  beginning of new, blank line)
ESC M	delete line (add blank line at bottom, place
 	  cursor at beginning of line)
ESC Y	address cursor by <row> <column> biased by 0x20
	  (ESC Y 0x20 0x21 is same as ESC H ESC C)
ESC b	set foreground color (lower 4 bits of next character specify
 	  the color number assigned to the foreground)
ESC c	similarly, for background color
ESC d	erase from beginning of screen to cursor (inclusive)
ESC e	enable cursor (make it visible)
ESC f	disable cursor (make it invisible)
ESC j	save cursor position
ESC k	restore cursor position; if no previous corresponding
 	  save was made, then home the cursor
ESC l	erase entire line, move cursor to first column of it
ESC o	erase from beginning of line to cursor position, inclusive
ESC p	enter reverse-video mode (foreground <---> background mode)
ESC q	exit reverse-video mode (foreground = foreground again)
ESC v	enable wrap at end of line (auto-LF)
ESC w	disable wrap at end of line

("You should have done it THIS way" flames to /dev/null, please).

--

-Landon			"If Business is War, then I'm a Prisoner of Business!"
... {hoptoad, lll-crg!vecpyr}!atari!dyer		 "Quantity is Quality"